No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look at the cell phone thing as if you were at the movies... and agree with the turning it off at the con... However I know plenty of people who don't own a camera and use their cell as just that...
    The newest argument I want to bring up is the fact of those new phones that they are *making* into cameras.... my sister just got a phone that takes pictures like an actual camera, but is in fact also a phone...

But then again that doesn't take into account the side of people recording things....
    I think that in this day and age, they *have* become lifelines to some and asking them to not use them or have them on them at that time would drive them nuts...
    However on that same note, I can tell you as a person who carries mine with me everywhere I go, that finding out that mine didn't work at all whatsoever in Vancouver ended up being not such a big deal...
    (I had a few friends who let me phone my parents to let them know that everything was okay.... and that the trip was going good) But other than that, I really didn't miss it....
    Last edited by ~Sarah~; 20 May 2008, 07:17 PM.
    sigpic
    awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

I've never seen them cause interference. If they do, if the audio equipment is dodgy, then I'm sure that a polite request form the organiser or stewards would be followed, but the last con I went to just asked for ringers to be turned off, and they were, no big deal. We still got audio from the guests.
      they do interfere, and not just with dodgy or lesser quality equipment. And sometimes the interferance isn't just picked up over the audio system, it will mess iwth the radios used by con personnel.

I've been at a press conference where the speaker, had his blackberry muted, but it still cause a horrible squealing sound when it did it's regular download of info. And if a person with a blackberry sits too close to the microphone on our video conference equipment the peopel on the other end, 300+ miles away, hear it even though we don't in the room
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        folk, again, it's not banning them TOTALLY at cons, it's enforcing a rule to turn them off during the Q&A's
        love them or not, need them or not, they DO frak up audio equipment. I've seen it happen. I've heard it happen. we've had to tell our execs that they need to turn off their blackberries during meetings because the machines are interfering with the equipment and the people on the other end dont' appreciate hearing endless clicks, rattles and squeals as the blackberries go through thier download cycle.
        Most Q&A's last for a couple of hours at the most. You can't turn the phone off for that long????? How do you manage on a flight when you HAVE to turn them off?
        Seriously, people aren't saying ban them totally, just turn the bloody things off in the auditorium while you (and hundreds of others) are trying to listen to the actor you've paid to see
        Here here!!! My sentiments exactly!
        Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
        I'm not sure I could enjoy being at a con where I wasn't treated as the sort of grown-up who could be trusted with a mobile phone.
        Bear in mind that not everyone has a fancy mobile with a camera; some of us use them as communication devices and I doubt that it'd be a fun job for the stewards to inspect people's handbags and pockets for mobiles, nor to argue about whether they have cameras or not.
        Besides, the videotaping isn't likely to be coming from mobiles, but from proper cameras, which unlike weedy little mobiles have a sufficient battery to tape at length.
        Twenty years ago, those of us with small children would have missed the con rather than leave the sproggies with their doting aunties. It isn't twenty years ago though, it's today, and because I know that I can be contacted instantly I can go to cons. What people did in the dim and distant past is not terribly relevant; the clock moves forwards
        I'm not arguing that events that happened 20 years ago are relevant or not...my point was that we have survived and gone to events, be them conventions, movies, meetings or rock concerts etc.. and managed to do so without mobile phones. It almost seems like we have become so dependent on them that we can't even go to the bathroom without them....and let me just stress that important word in this sentence...ALMOST!!!!
        I didn't get my first mobile phone til I was 30 and I had 2 kids by then and I still managed to go to work, go to classes and leave them for the night with family and friends without needing a mobile phone...so my kids never held me back from going out and doing things...and that was 8 years ago.
        I don't think anyone is saying that you personally can not be trusted with you mobile phone...I truly don't think that's the issue...this all started because it was suggested that mobile phones be either banned or turned off at conventions...so lets concede for a moment that banning them may not be feasible due to circumstances beyond our control...why not simply turn them off during the Q&A???
        and i've been at cons where members of the hotel staff come in and hand the reg desk messages for an attendee, and the con staff then pass that message on
        as to why 'ban' phones....like i've said 15 times and people keep ignoring, a suggestion to ban them being on in the auditorium, while you're at the q&a, then then it's business as usual the rest of the time.
        it's not a recording issue, it's the fact that phones seriously frak up audio systems. they cause interferance, and are a general pain.
        AT3 had a 'turn your mobiles off in the auditorium' rule and it was far from a hardship. So you were out of contact for a coupel of hours, no big deal.
        seriously, in my personal opinion, if you can't handle your phone being turned off for a couple of hours when you're sitting in an auditorium listening to someone you paid hundreds of dollars to go and see, why are you even coming???? If you're that much in need somewhere else, i'd stay somewhere else.
        And if it's a case of 'my sister is in labor' or 'my mom is getting a heart transplant and i may need to leave on a moments notice'...dude, make arrangements with the hotel, tell them your situation and arrange for them to pass on messages. they do it all the time.
        tell the hotel your situation, tell the reg desk your situation and they can pass on any messages to you that happen to come in in that couple of hours while you're in the auditorium
        You're 100% right Sky...my hubby and I run our own business...but there's a time and place for taking calls...when we're out at the movies or at a wedding or funeral...we turn off the phones...any missed calls are listed on the phone so you can contact the person at a more suitable time...if I know I am going to be incommunicado for a period of time...I let others know that they can't reach me til such and such a time...or with the new fancy phones out there now...leave a message on your phone so the person calling knows where you are and when or how to best contact you.
        I seriously don't like listening to someones phone going off during a Q&A....and I know that most of the guests don't appreciate it as well...hence the purpose for this discussion in this thread!!
        I've never seen them cause interference. If they do, if the audio equipment is dodgy, then I'm sure that a polite request form the organiser or stewards would be followed, but the last con I went to just asked for ringers to be turned off, and they were, no big deal. We still got audio from the guests.
        Maybe so (although I wouldn't go to a con that costs hundreds of dollars!) but there are people here who seem to be advocating the banning of phones beyond hotel rooms. Draconian much?
        Uhm...I don't think I mentioned anything about leaving it in the hotel room...at least I hope I didn't...but I do know that the phones interfere with audio systems...no matter how superior or inferior they are....we can't even have our phones on in hospitals where there are machines present...we couldn't even have our phones on in the plane when we flew to Tassie...and I hope to god those systems aren't inferior!! I'm one of those who does pay a lot of money to go to conventions...they aren't cheap down here...but it's my hard earned money and I really don't understand what is so difficult about going without your mobile phone for the duration of a Q&A session.
        So...just to be kinda clear on this...are we arguing that mobile phones should be allowed on during Q&A sessions??
        I'll concede that it may seem a little OTT to ban them entirely from conventions so lets say that we just make it that they MUST be turned off during the Q&A sessions....is that really so hard??? Is that really so impossible??
        What do you think??
        Cheers everyone!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
          Uhm...I don't think I mentioned anything about leaving it in the hotel room.
          No, you didn't, it was other posters, who felt that banning mobiles would solve the youtube problem.

at least I hope I didn't...but I do know that the phones interfere with audio systems...
          Maybe so, although not universally - I've been to cons where the only stipulation was that ringers be turned off, and the audio worked fine. If it is a dodgy audio system though, then having phones turned off ought to be sufficient. That way you can pop out once an hour to check for messages, rather than having to find a payphone or impose on hotel receptionists

Madeleine

Comment

No, you didn't, it was other posters, who felt that banning mobiles would solve the youtube problem.

Maybe so, although not universally - I've been to cons where the only stipulation was that ringers be turned off, and the audio worked fine. If it is a dodgy audio system though, then having phones turned off ought to be sufficient. That way you can pop out once an hour to check for messages, rather than having to find a payphone or impose on hotel receptionists
            I was the one who suggested banning cell phones. To me, anyone who has to depend on being THAT connected better not ever get lost in the wilderness where access is by satellite phone or nothing. That kind of dependency on technology is more than a little disconcerting.

The main point for me is that there are far too many "me first" people out there who don't give a fig about bothering other people, interfering with equipment or following the rules. The last convention I went to was not as much fun as it could have been because a couple of "Drama Queens" decided they needed lots of attention from the Celebrities in attendance. The two women not only irritated many of the other fans, but the talent as well. I hate to say it, but rules are rules. If the convention organizers say no cell phones in the auditorium or that the phones must be turned off, then attendees can either obey the rules or stay home. The person who is concerned that they might miss an emergency if their phone is not with them and on, obviously needs to re-evaluate the rights of others vs. their own.
            Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

I would still have to respectfully disagree that banning cell phones is the answer. My argument is not that we cannot live without our phones, nor the fact that ringing of the phones are disruptive nor even the fact that they may interrupt audio equipment. For those who have fared well without them for however long, that is all fine and well for you. But it is a matter of whether it is reasonable and right to ban them. I agree with Madeleine_W that as responsible adults, we should not be told that we cannot be compliant if asked to turn off our phones during a q&a session, that we would not. Everyone admittedly acknowledges that it is the few that do not comply with the rules. I think the perpetrators should be punished, not the entire mass who are innocent. A preemptive move that affects the mass and not punishing the one or two that violated the rule of no videotaping is not justifiable in my opinion.

In an emergency (not necessarily situations where we are waiting for a call but the type that comes to us unexpectedly), the rights of others and ourselves trumps everything else. If someone is having a heart attack and I point my finger at you and I tell you to call 911, you had better start dialing. I certainly don't want to be in a situation where hundreds of people at a con don't have a single phone on them and someone needs to go find someone who does.

Comment

again, it's not 'keep the evil phones in your rooms' it's 'turn the bloody things off during the Q&A'

and trust me, if you're at a con and someone has a heart attack, all ya gotta do is turn on your phone and dial, or have the people at the control table (every auditorium has a control table with the mic controls, etc) to pick up the phone, call 911, call the hotel security, etc.

for the 85th time, it's not 'phones are evil, keep them off the premisis', it's 'turn the bloody things off and tuck them in your pocket'
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Actually, you've only posted 7 times on this topic. I 'm just responding to the original post (#686) above that wanted to ban phones from the auditorium. I have no problem turning off my phone if asked to but I do have an issue with an absolutely-no-phone policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                    [B][COLOR="Blue"]I was the one who suggested banning cell phones. To me, anyone who has to depend on being THAT connected better not ever get lost in the wilderness where access is by satellite phone or nothing. That kind of dependency on technology is more than a little disconcerting.
                    Be disconcerted all you like, and I'll join you in disconcertion at the concept of a con in the wilderness.

It's not dependance on technology, so much as needing to be in reach of babysitters or the boss who may page you, and wanting to be able to enjoy an event without being treated like an infant.

I can't trek to the Yukon because of my job and my kids, but I'll not be made to feel like I need to wear a landline as a ball and chain. Mobiles, like washing machines, cars, and the internet, are something that we all can do without since our parents obviously did, but why ban them? (Unless you're amish but I doubt many people online are puritains.)

The main point for me is that there are far too many "me first" people out there who don't give a fig about bothering other people, interfering with equipment or following the rules.
                    Agreed, but surely the way to deal with them is to deal with THEM rather than apply blanket bans to everyone.

If the convention organizers say no cell phones in the auditorium or that the phones must be turned off, then attendees can either obey the rules or stay home.
                    "Must be turned off" is certainly an acceptable advance on "must not leave the hotel room" - thanks for the concession

The person who is concerned that they might miss an emergency if their phone is not with them and on, obviously needs to re-evaluate the rights of others vs. their own.
                    Or possibly, they need to be allowed to keep their mobile near to them so that they can just pop out of the hall between talks, rather than having to return to a (possibly non-existent) hotel room.

How the heck has my having my phone with me ever impinged on anyone's rights? I know how to operate the off-button and the ringer, and it's as much 'me first' as the people who would not feel able to attend cons without their bottles of water, battery-fans or any number of other things that can be turned off or stowed away.

The only rights a switched-off-in-the-handbag mobile can possibly impinge on is the rights of someone not to be in the same room as a switched-off mobile. That's not an actual right though, is it?

I'm sorry, but banning phones form the entire con would not work, it would just be officious and petty; it would not prevent anything ending up on youtube, it would vastly increase the workload of the con staff and it would mean that a lot of people would not be able to go.

Madeleine

Comment

Be disconcerted all you like, and I'll join you in disconcertion at the concept of a con in the wilderness.

It's not dependance on technology, so much as needing to be in reach of babysitters or the boss who may page you, and wanting to be able to enjoy an event without being treated like an infant.

I can't trek to the Yukon because of my job and my kids, but I'll not be made to feel like I need to wear a landline as a ball and chain. Mobiles, like washing machines, cars, and the internet, are something that we all can do without since our parents obviously did, but why ban them? (Unless you're amish but I doubt many people online are puritains.)

Agreed, but surely the way to deal with them is to deal with THEM rather than apply blanket bans to everyone.

"Must be turned off" is certainly an acceptable advance on "must not leave the hotel room" - thanks for the concession

Or possibly, they need to be allowed to keep their mobile near to them so that they can just pop out of the hall between talks, rather than having to return to a (possibly non-existent) hotel room.

How the heck has my having my phone with me ever impinged on anyone's rights? I know how to operate the off-button and the ringer, and it's as much 'me first' as the people who would not feel able to attend cons without their bottles of water, battery-fans or any number of other things that can be turned off or stowed away.

The only rights a switched-off-in-the-handbag mobile can possibly impinge on is the rights of someone not to be in the same room as a switched-off mobile. That's not an actual right though, is it?

I'm sorry, but banning phones form the entire con would not work, it would just be officious and petty; it would not prevent anything ending up on youtube, it would vastly increase the workload of the con staff and it would mean that a lot of people would not be able to go.
                      Banning phones was one of many suggestions made. Obviously the thought has hit a sensitive nerve in this thread. I believe in democracy, and upon that premise lies the belief that the rights of the many outweigh the rights of the few. If not, then motorcyclists could ride without helmets and seat belts would not be required by law. Sometimes, unpopular rules need to be enforced. In Los Angeles people are not permitted to drive a vehicle and talk on a cell phone at the same time. What about them? If an emergency comes up and they are caught in traffic in the middle lane, unable to pull over, then what? All of these ideas are subjective and and are up for debate. No one is right or wrong in these discussions. However, at the same time, we are also far too complacent as a society in what we allow other people to "get away with". Most of us would rather fume in silence then to "correct' those people who follow the "me first" policy. I, for one, do not sit in silence. If someone is being annoying, I assume they just don't realize that they are, and I politely let them know. I'm not attempting to be authoritarian or see myself as the police of social norms. I do know what is considered offensive to the majority, however.

Comment

yikes.....

Well, I am a person who always has the cell phone attached to my hip. But I also use phone courtesy and common sense when it comes to using and not using it. I know better than to leave it on in a theater, I know better than to use it while flying in an airplane (even though it doesn't affect the electronics), and I know not to talk on it in a restaurant, and if I do get a call I need to take, I simply go outside or leave the room. I wouldn't think of interrupting some one or something just to take a call that is not really necessary. I also know better than to talk so damned loudly that anyone in a five mile radius can hear my conversation.

I would be pissed because of the few bleeps out there that could cause a ban on carrying cell phones at a con. Turning a cell phone off in appropriate situations is easy (even turned off all incoming calls default to my voicemail) and respectful to those around me and a decision I would support.

Honestly though, I think a lot of the problem is that people do not have any common sense or courtesy when using the damned things. Maybe they should require classes on cell phone etiquette before allowing people to buy them. *shrugs*
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                          yikes.....

Well, I am a person who always has the cell phone attached to my hip. But I also use phone courtesy and common sense when it comes to using and not using it. I know better than to leave it on in a theater, I know better than to use it while flying in an airplane (even though it doesn't affect the electronics), and I know not to talk on it in a restaurant, and if I do get a call I need to take, I simply go outside or leave the room. I wouldn't think of interrupting some one or something just to take a call that is not really necessary. I also know better than to talk so damned loudly that anyone in a five mile radius can hear my conversation.

I would be pissed because of the few bleeps out there that could cause a ban on carrying cell phones at a con. Turning a cell phone off in appropriate situations is easy (even turned off all incoming calls default to my voicemail) and respectful to those around me and a decision I would support.

Honestly though, I think a lot of the problem is that people do not have any common sense or courtesy when using the damned things. Maybe they should require classes on cell phone etiquette before allowing people to buy them. *shrugs*
                          Excellent point, GG. I completely agree.

Comment

Phew! I was developing a complex then!!
                            again, it's not 'keep the evil phones in your rooms' it's 'turn the bloody things off during the Q&A'

and trust me, if you're at a con and someone has a heart attack, all ya gotta do is turn on your phone and dial, or have the people at the control table (every auditorium has a control table with the mic controls, etc) to pick up the phone, call 911, call the hotel security, etc.

for the 85th time, it's not 'phones are evil, keep them off the premisis', it's 'turn the bloody things off and tuck them in your pocket'
                            Honey...you really need to shout louder...they still didn't hear you...here...like this....
                            it's not 'keep the evil phones in your rooms' it's 'turn the bloody things off during the Q&A'
                            Originally posted by BlueJello View Post
                            Actually, you've only posted 7 times on this topic. I 'm just responding to the original post (#686) above that wanted to ban phones from the auditorium. I have no problem turning off my phone if asked to but I do have an issue with an absolutely-no-phone policy.
                            Ha ha...funny!!! I don't think anyone was LITERALLY counting...it was obviously a slight exaggeration...lets not get too picky please...for the sake of some peace!!!
                            OK...so let me see if I can try to clear the air here a bit....*big breath*...
                            I think it's fair to say that banning mobile phones from conventions entirely is not plausible or fair to the civil rights of those who need to have them...yes???
                            So...the dilemma still remains about the impact mobile phones have on audio systems and the comfort of those who do not wish to hear someones lovely ring tone go off in the middle of the Q&A session...including the comfort of the guests...lets not forget them shall we!!!
                            Therefore...would it not be too unreasonable to say that it would be "very excellent" *channeling Bill and Ted* convention etiquette to turn off mobile/cell phones during the Q&A sessions...therefore leaving the mobile/cell phone user to turn on said phone after he/she has exited the auditorium...and therefore in turn keeping the guests and other patrons happy and free from phone interruptions...???...yes???...or have I left some other vital tid-bit out somewhere in my "off the top of my head" rant post??
                            Too be honest...I love a good discussion with others who clearly have a different point of view from myself...but I do get a wee bit concerned when it becomes repetitive or when it becomes too nit picky...please remember to smile when posting and have fun!!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

*is glad her poor little basic "Pay As You Go" phone from the UK didn't work AT ALL in Canada this April*....

My own personal view is that if someone is determined to film they will, whatever the obstacles put in their way are....

I find mobile phones extremely annoying in many places, not just Conventions, and my rule is always to turn mine off in restaurants, theatres, cinemas, public places where quiet is requested, etc.....that's a common courtesy that I've always had....I always try and speak quietly in such places as requested.....nothing worse than someone shouting out their whole life story to someone on the phone or at the next table in a restaurant, or cinema etc....

As for Convention annoyances - well, like AG said, people who behave in an obnoxious "me, me, me" manner are just as annoying as the beep from a mobile phone...as are those, to me anyway, people who insist on constantly standing up in their seat to take photos or surreptiously raising themselves higher (usually with a bloody great flash attached) with no thought for the people behind them.....also extremely annoying are those who "whoop and holler" or constantly talk throughout the talents' panel or cabaret "turn" - I still haven't worked out why those "miaows" were needed either.........

I guess that basic ettiquette is seen by people in differing ways.....I'm old and was taught old fashioned (or should that be "out of fashion" nowadays ..) manners many years ago, my son although young, has learned from me and when he attended the 2006 Vancouver Con he was astonished as some of the "rudeness" he encountered from those much older than he and who should know better.....

I doubt you'll ever get through to those who are single minded enough to think that a Convention is all about their "needs" and no-one elses....you have a choice, grin and bear it as best as possible, complain to the organisers (but make sure you get your facts absolutely right) or thump the offender square on the nose!.........OK disregard that last one - although a few times I've felt like doing it....

Deeds xx *promising to turn her mobile phone off at Chevron 7*....
                              Last edited by discodiva; 22 May 2008, 05:42 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Also, if you really must answer your phone, and it's not urgent, all you have to do is say to the person who's calling you "I'm a bit busy just now, can you please call me back in an hour?"
                                sigpic
                                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X