No announcement yet.

Convention Etiquette: Discussion and Advice on Do's and Don'ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now about the above points.....Carter, the child in question, was at the same Con last year, and I got to meet and speak extensively with his parents. I did the same this year. Carter suffers from a medical disorder called Asperger's disease, a type of autism. He is doing extremely well, and his parents are devoted to making his life as "normal" as they can. I found him to be delightful, as did the stars. He was much better behaved this year, and provided many light hearted and funny moments.

Ah, yes, I know about Asperger's. I've seen some kids with it and I'm glad to hear he's doing well as I've seen some who haven't, and it's sad.

As for the "other" guest (the small, very strange blonde, who asked some very, um, controversial and decidedly "different" questions, such as asking MS how he would like to die in RL)......was that really a female? A group of us there couldn't decide on the person's gender or age. Comments very welcome.....please.

Huh? Die in real life? Did I read that right? Geez, I'm starting to think the old 'boxers or briefs' questions are safe now! And what witty remark did MS give back in reply is what I want to know, besides his jaw dropping open wide enough to let a 747 land inside!

Comment

I have one more pet peeve. Anyone who attended the dessert party or brunch had the opportunity to visit with the actors as they came around to the tables. What really annoyed me were people who made a point of "saving" a chair beside themselves to get the actor to sit beside them. One group did that to me at the desert party. There was an empty chair next to me, not planned, it was just there. A woman in the group had her friend change seats and sit right next to me so that she would have the empty seat beside her. I attempted a negotiation saying, that we should move the empty seat so that the people at the table all have a chance to be next to or close to the actors. She ignored me. So, I'd suggest at the next con people attend, negotiate ahead of time with your table mates to have the empty seat move around the table.

I think that everybody at the table agrees that the actor gets to move around and not sit in just one spot (make 4 spots?) however, htat depends on how many empty seats you can, or will everybody just shift? Ah, logistics... maybe someone can try this out in Chicago, or what did other tables do? (I'm sorta surprised Creation doesn't SELL the seat next to the empty seat - "Yes, you can have HTE seat next to (fill in name) for an extra $50!). Sorry, I've just seen their avarice climb over the decades ....

Comment

As for the "other" guest (the small, very strange blonde, who asked some very, um, controversial and decidedly "different" questions, such as asking MS how he would like to die in RL)......was that really a female? A group of us there couldn't decide on the person's gender or age. Comments very welcome.....please.

Huh? Die in real life? Did I read that right? Geez, I'm starting to think the old 'boxers or briefs' questions are safe now! And what witty remark did MS give back in reply is what I want to know, besides his jaw dropping open wide enough to let a 747 land inside!
        As I recall, his jaw did drop open enough to let a 747 land inside and it was also the first time I've ever seen MS speechless.
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess
          Hi Lida:

I didn't get to meet you. Sorry. I wanted to tho. I've heard a bit about you, so was somewhat disappointed I didn't find you.

I have one more pet peeve. Anyone who attended the dessert party or brunch had the opportunity to visit with the actors as they came around to the tables. What really annoyed me were people who made a point of "saving" a chair beside themselves to get the actor to sit beside them. One group did that to me at the desert party. There was an empty chair next to me, not planned, it was just there. A woman in the group had her friend change seats and sit right next to me so that she would have the empty seat beside her. I attempted a negotiation saying, that we should move the empty seat so that the people at the table all have a chance to be next to or close to the actors. She ignored me. So, I'd suggest at the next con people attend, negotiate ahead of time with your table mates to have the empty seat move around the table.
          OK, now I'm officially worried.....you've heard about me...uh oh.

I am thrilled that I did at least get to see you, and once again, thank you, for your generosity and for your courage....I couldn't have done it, but oh it was worth it. I'm still thinking about that man's bod.

As for your peeve.....I agree 1,000 percent. We were sitting at a table in the far corner and wound up being the last to leave. A friend had visited us earlier, and pulled up a chair next to me.....so the guests all wound up sitting next to me, but I would have rather had some sit across the table. I couldn't take pics and for the most part, the guests spoke with others, as I was right next to them. I don't know how it could be done, but it should be done...meaning, the "open" chair should be moved after a guest leaves, to allow everyone an equal oppurtunity for a bit of physical contact (be still my heart). I have to admit that my hubby lucked out and got a photo with his arm around Amanda Tapping, and I'm the fan, not him, although I will admit, he's still babbling about it. The woman is BEAUTIFUL!
          On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            As I recall, his jaw did drop open enough to let a 747 land inside and it was also the first time I've ever seen MS speechless.
            So, I guess that was his reply to the question?

Comment

As for your peeve.....I agree 1,000 percent. We were sitting at a table in the far corner and wound up being the last to leave. A friend had visited us earlier, and pulled up a chair next to me.....so the guests all wound up sitting next to me, but I would have rather had some sit across the table. I couldn't take pics and for the most part, the guests spoke with others, as I was right next to them. I don't know how it could be done, but it should be done...meaning, the "open" chair should be moved after a guest leaves, to allow everyone an equal oppurtunity for a bit of physical contact (be still my heart). I have to admit that my hubby lucked out and got a photo with his arm around Amanda Tapping, and I'm the fan, not him, although I will admit, he's still babbling about it. The woman is BEAUTIFUL!

So.... every actor hits every table for (er, a few minutes, or ten or?? just curious!) so yeah, make sense to rotate the 'empty' seat around.

Comment

Depends on the actor. 2 minutes was the usual visit time.

As for Michael's reaction he dropped his jaw then said that was an interesting question and that he had never had it before. He then said the way he wants to die is at 90 years of age in room full of hookers.

The same girl gave Amanda Tapping a box with magnets in it. She called it an anti-stabbing device. If she wore it the magnets are meant to pull the oncoming knife away. She also said to Amanda (and this will give you an idea of her state of mind somewhat) that she (the girl) couldn't hug her (Amanda) because she (Amanda) had been huging other people and that meant she (Amanda) now had germs on her. It's kinda of sad when you think about it.

As for the kid named Carter. Cute at first then he just got too much. As Amanda said "it's a shame McGuyver isn't here with his duct tape"

Comment

I have to admit although those questions/comments coming from the said 3 people at the con were disturbing, they were quite funny. The only exception was the woman who kept insisting that Joe is an elf. Honestly, I don't see it but whatever. I felt bad for Joe because this woman invited herself on stage and then proceded to "teach" him on the correct way to salute someone. IT'S JUST A TV SHOW!

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
                  Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

I agree the elf comment was too much. If you have some form of abnormality the last thing you want is people focusing on it in such a public way.

He may be comfortable with it but I figure why take that chance. The guy should be allowed some privacy (like oh say knowing his power went out! Uhh hello, stalk him much?!?!) and be allowed to go to a convention without someone mentioning his ears.

Comment

She didn't just say he was doing it wrong, she ripped him a new one for not doing it properly and implied that he was gravely insulting all of the armed forces for not getting it right.

The death fetish woman has some serious mental issues and should, IMO, be banned from all future conventions. Asking Michael about how he wanted to die, asking if he ever got depressed since Daniel's life is so much more valuable than his own, giving Amanda a dippy alarm system thing so she can be warned of the homicidal maniac breaking into her bedroom to stab her and then telling Amanda she didn't want a hug because "you're covered in viruses." Um... yeah... Get help. Now.

And Carter may have Aspergers, but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to run wild and ruin the fun for everyone else. Like I said, if you can see your kid (any kid) getting over-excited, take them away for some "quiet time." And if you can't control your kid (again, any kid) then maybe a convention isn't the best place for him/her.

Re: screaming babies/children- yeah, you WOULD think that people would be well-mannered enough to take them out of the room, wouldn't you? But that's giving people far, far too much credit.

Comment

Well, being someone who was sitting next to Carter and his parents, Carter was very well behaved most of the time. He mainly sat there and played his gameboy. A couple times the battery needed recharging, and so, after a while he got ancy (sp).

I did catch the parents scolding him and trying to keep him quieted down.

I never felt he was distracting or taking away from my enjoyment, but then I have two boys, and was probably a bit understanding of thier situation.
                        No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Hi DJF! Thanks again for the rides from Vancouver and to the airport not the mentiont he use of your "guest house". I really appreciate it.

As far as Carter goes he takes precocious to a whole new level. I'm glad that he's doing well with the Aspergers but there was a point where I thought Gary was gonna pick him up and carry him out of the panel room. I have a 4 year old myself, and I know Carter is older than that but I saw some pretty young kids there this year, and I would never bring him to a convention. For one I know for a fact that there is no way he would sit still for those panels. I'd spend my whole con time trying to keep him in line. Secondly, those panels can sometimes get a bit...raucous. I don't mind myself. If Cliff wants to take off his pants next year along with his shirt I'll certainly pony up the cash but I don't know if it's something I'd bring my small child to.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I do agree with the idea that some of the "topics" can be a bit more than I would like my kids to see. That's why I haven't brought my oldest, even though he has asked me to take him. I'll bring him when I know he's old enough to "take care of himself" and I don't have to worry (at least not so much).
                            No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              She didn't just say he was doing it wrong, she ripped him a new one for not doing it properly and implied that he was gravely insulting all of the armed forces for not getting it right.

The death fetish woman has some serious mental issues and should, IMO, be banned from all future conventions. Asking Michael about how he wanted to die, asking if he ever got depressed since Daniel's life is so much more valuable than his own, giving Amanda a dippy alarm system thing so she can be warned of the homicidal maniac breaking into her bedroom to stab her and then telling Amanda she didn't want a hug because "you're covered in viruses." Um... yeah... Get help. Now.

And Carter may have Aspergers, but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to run wild and ruin the fun for everyone else. Like I said, if you can see your kid (any kid) getting over-excited, take them away for some "quiet time." And if you can't control your kid (again, any kid) then maybe a convention isn't the best place for him/her.

Re: screaming babies/children- yeah, you WOULD think that people would be well-mannered enough to take them out of the room, wouldn't you? But that's giving people far, far too much credit.
                              Carter was EXTREMELY well behaved, for a normal but very intelligent 9 year old, let alone one with Asperger's syndrome. I think the parents who brought babies under 1 year of age, then had the guests hold them for a private picture when there was a very long line of people patiently waiting for autographs were more of an inconvenience, both for guests and fans. I believe most of the screaming came from adult women.....and don't get me wrong, I thought it was great fun. I thought the whole idea of a Con was to have fun, let loose.....but I suppose we all go for different reasons. Maybe that's what made it so much fun, the diversity of people. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, again.
                              Last edited by Lida; 29 March 2006, 09:20 AM.
                              On fighting:

Comment

She didn't just say he was doing it wrong, she ripped him a new one for not doing it properly and implied that he was gravely insulting all of the armed forces for not getting it right. \

Where's William Shatner when you need him? The 'get a life' skit comes to mind. Come on, lady, it's a TV show! Geez, it's not a Jack Webb production, after all

Yes, please, do not sell this woman another ticket to any con. Or any public function where you can ask questions of your guests.

The thing is that there's no screening for fans like that, and Creation, well, they're about selling as many tickets as possible....

Comment

Working...
                                X