No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I said, my age has something to do with it. And I don't currently live in my home either. When I was young I had a need to get out there and see the world. I totally understand. Sometimes it happens when you are older as well. I have had the privilege of seeing a lot of it. And yet I still have dreams. That is why I quit my very good paying job a few years ago and never looked back. However, I still have a desire to own a home (or more likely a condo). One of these days I will sell my other places and buy one. Probably within the next few years. Each of us must to what suits us best. Unlike Neep, I don't have as many years left. That also affects my choices. Whatever you chose to do, make sure it is truly what you want and not what others tell you to do. After all, you are going to be the one to live with it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      I don't think anyone is knocking either option The Kiwi dream is supposed to be owning our own home, but that's becoming less realistic for most people as rich foreigners snap up our properties and push prices up (looking at you, American celebrities).
      It used to be the Aussie dream too but it's just getting way to hard to afford a house when the average price...depending on what city you live in....can be around the half million dollar bracket. My dad used to always say, "Its just bricks and mortar...you can't take it with you when you die".
      My hubby desperately wants to get into the property market but its just getting so hard...even with two incomes.
      My attitude is that so long as my family is happy and healthy, then how can I possibly complain. It's not the be all and end all to life. For me, life wouldn't be very much fun if all I did was work to pay for bricks and mortar.
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
        Like I said, my age has something to do with it. And I don't currently live in my home either. When I was young I had a need to get out there and see the world. I totally understand. Sometimes it happens when you are older as well. I have had the privilege of seeing a lot of it. And yet I still have dreams. That is why I quit my very good paying job a few years ago and never looked back. However, I still have a desire to own a home (or more likely a condo). One of these days I will sell my other places and buy one. Probably within the next few years. Each of us must to what suits us best. Unlike Neep, I don't have as many years left. That also affects my choices. Whatever you chose to do, make sure it is truly what you want and not what others tell you to do. After all, you are going to be the one to live with it.
        I quite admire you for following your dreams as I've always been one to try and do the same. It's not been easy. Finances, life choices, differing (unexpected) circumstances all have a way of altering our dreams, or at least putting them on hold for a time. I'm very stubborn though and refuse to be bent and shaped by others. Though I might get a few dings along life's road, I've not stopped trying to live out my dreams. I want no regrets when I take my last breath. No wishing I had done things differently. As you say, we are indeed the only one to live whatever choices we make.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          I quite admire you for following your dreams as I've always been one to try and do the same. It's not been easy. Finances, life choices, differing (unexpected) circumstances all have a way of altering our dreams, or at least putting them on hold for a time. I'm very stubborn though and refuse to be bent and shaped by others. Though I might get a few dings along life's road, I've not stopped trying to live out my dreams. I want no regrets when I take my last breath. No wishing I had done things differently. As you say, we are indeed the only one to live whatever choices we make.
          I have this theory...if I wished I hadn't done something that wasn't exactly a good thing, then wouldn't that change the outcome for the things I have done that have been good? I'm not saying that I believe in fate or that our lives are predestined or predetermined or anything like that....I'm just saying that I guess there are forks in the road and where you are in your life is because of the turns you took. Having been through some pretty rough years, I'm happy now that I went through what I did coz now I have a different appreciation for what I have. Well maybe not happy per se but my life is where it is because of the turns I took. I don't want to look back and wonder what could have been etc.

BTW, is happy for the SE folks who will be getting the mitts on RD too...one day it's gonna be me!!! I hope!
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            That was just a ploy to get a hug from AT.
            Hehe ... the little Pengyn is quite good at that

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            Let her know when the money has been sent (presumably so they can look for it and will know there is a problem if it doesn't show up).
            Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
            Wot she said!

Kay G4
            (skiving off for a bit.)
            Thank you both
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
              Shhh! My twin sister is considering buying a house and investing in her future. I'm all "Must. See. Foreign. Lands. And. Peoples."
              I'm with you on this one. My closest brother was all 'invest wisely, save up deposit for house, forward career' etc while I was very much 'I'm going to have fun!'

He's happy with what he's got (house, mortgage, career) and I'm happy with what I've done and have got planned for the future
              sigpic
              Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                Hey there,

General registration is at 3pm GMT on Sunday. That would be 4pm British Summer Time
                Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                The UK is on British Summer time right now so it's 4pm local time here.

Becks
                G4
                Thanks for the info. So the registration page will just show up on the AT5 page then? Getting nervous already...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elephantgirl View Post
                  Thanks for the info. So the registration page will just show up on the AT5 page then? Getting nervous already...
                  See this thread on the gabit board Registration page will be here.

Good luck!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                    Hehe ... the little Pengyn is quite good at that
                    It's the eyes...

I can understand the desire behind owning your own home. I often wonder when/if that will happen to me. However, I know I've chosen a field of work that is not an easy one and only if you're lucky, becomes a steady one. And since it's become my focus, I have to acknowledge that having a place of my own is not really on the cards right now.

Maybe one day... when I'm big
                    sigpic

Comment

Good luck to you on Sunday! If it's anything like how it was last time, once you put in how many tickets you'd like and move onto the next page, your queue in line is locked in. Nobody with faster typing skills filling in the rest of the required info is going to butt you out of place.

Comment

Good luck to everyone who's hoping to get registered for AT5 today!!!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                        Last edited by samcarterrules; 18 April 2010, 07:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Actually good luck to everyone TODAY!! Totally forgot it was Sunday. My days just seem to be running together.

Checked Twitter and the countdown for registration is about to begin! Hope everyone does well!

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                            BTW, is happy for the SE folks who will be getting the mitts on RD too...one day it's gonna be me!!! I hope!
                            No touching allowed!

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                            It's the eyes...

I am considering bringing sunglasses to wear for all of AT5 to avoid the eyes.

I can understand the desire behind owning your own home. I often wonder when/if that will happen to me. However, I know I've chosen a field of work that is not an easy one and only if you're lucky, becomes a steady one. And since it's become my focus, I have to acknowledge that having a place of my own is not really on the cards right now.

Maybe one day... when I'm big
                            First, you are tiny and will never be big.

Re: house. Every situation is different. The average house price is Vancouver is now $1 million. How does the average family afford that? Insane. Luckily I live in a place where the cost of living is more affordable. Yes, you have to put up with a bit of cold weather but it is soooo worth it. Personally I'd take snow over rain any day. Really big cities have their advantages and I can understand why people want to live there. For me, I'd rather visit.

Everyone has to take their own path. For some, travel at a younger age is important. For me, it was education, work, home, family. However, I have always travelled and will continue to do so. Life is long and, for me, balance is good.

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            Wow, that came fast. Good luck to you all. All appendages crossed for you.

Got my e-mail to pay (and the revision). Will be doing that this week in case there are any issues.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              I managed to register at 3:02 or something like that, hopefully that will do.
                              sigpic

Comment

I managed to register at 3:02 or something like that, hopefully that will do.
                                Wow that's quick!! Well done!!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Working...
                                X