No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cel, I like the idea of international music. I remember dancing with the French girlies to some Superbus in the lobby, but I just don't think it's practical. And I really can't see attendees being encouraged to do things by illegal means, though that might just be me.

Love to hear from others though.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Okay..fair enough. I do things it's practical though. If getting the music together seems to be the only insurmountable mountain to you, then let your worries be at rest. I volunteer for the responsibility

If/when the G4 approves of the idea, all peeps need to do is PM/email me their suggestions and I'll do the searching and burning of the songs onto as many cd's as it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
        *requests some Kiwi classics...*
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKj4upY1VYI
        For a minute there I thought you were gonna put on a Maori song...or that hit from the 80's - Poi E!
        Oooh...I just had a thought...how about some Midnight Oil!! I love their stuff!! And very Australian too...or Skyhooks...I did a Sanctuary video to one of their songs...that should tie in with the abnormal theme!!

All my friends are getting married - Skyhooks

Women in uniform - Skyhooks

Horor Movie - Sanctuary video - Skyhooks

Blue Sky Mine - Midnight Oil

Beds are burning - Midnight Oil

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
        And TJ: if you let me do karaoke, you'll get an extremly abnormal ball You'll here something you never heard before and wished you never heard LOL
        Hahaha...cool!!!
        Originally posted by Celandine View Post
        Heck, I hadnt even heard of the "Split Enz" till Neep posted the link..
        Really?? You hadn't heard of Split Enz before?? Really??? Wow! I honestly thought they were known worldwide. Ohhh...this is gonna be fun!!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Here are some of the most popular NZ songs ever!

Hehe, Slice of Heaven!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pWejAnLUQ

If you're wondering why there are some random cartoons in there, it's because it was the theme to Footrot Flats

Here is another amazing classic... Nature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZewn2_m5Aw

Wayne Mason is actually a local guy (I have sand on my feet right now because I just went for a walk and walked on the beach passed his house)... he came to my high school music class to teach us about composition. The iconic "doo do do doo do doo do" is because he couldn't find lyrics that didn't get in the way of the awesome tune. Oh, and the reason it's in the key it's in- he left his guitar on the driveway and his girlfriend ran over it. When he was composing it was all he could play
          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Woohoo...I love Footrot Flats and that song Slice of Heaven. Yay!! I'm bopping along now!!! Hehehe!!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I loved the selection of songs at the Disco at AT3, I had a lot of fun dancing to almost all of them. I think I need to learn to Doctor Who dance by next time though to complete my repertoire of con-dances. Or maybe it was just the power of those red trousers that night and I really don't know any dances?

Kareoke could work, but it'd be a shame if it took up the whole evening, maybe some disco, an hour of Kareoke and then more disco might work. As long as I get to Star Trek across the universe a couple of times throughout the evening then I am generally happy

I thought the con DJ did a good job. I generally hate professional DJs so I wouldn't want to change that at all. A con disco is different to other discos and you need someone with con experience who is going to play the music we want to hear as opposed to the music he/she thinks we want to hear, which is often different.

Cel there are always going to be limited selections in a mobile DJ and I don't know how to get round that, but I don't think advocating bittorrent downloads at a public event is the way forward. We don't want the organisers to get in trouble.
              sigpic
              Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by SEREN LWCH (MAL) View Post
                Thanks for the fruit!Yep it was getting a little lonely in here

Poor Mal, you need to keep your couting strength up.

and just in case the sheets need changing

Last edited by Kliggins; 21 March 2009, 01:34 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
                    Poor Mal, you need to keep your couting strength up.

and just in case the sheets need changing

OOOOOO i'm being spoiled again!!

Comment

Anyone is able to make a request for music to be played at the disco. If the DJ has it he will use his copy as he'll know that will work. You may also bring CDs, but please note that they may not work with his equipment. Every request will be considered but please remember that your request may not be played for a number of reasons... if several other people have requested another track that will take precidence and you have to look at the keep the momentum but don't wear people out. Request away, bring music if you like, it isn't a closed shop

As for kareoke. Sorry that is a no. In order for it to really work you need a different environment than we have. it's more something you do in a bar and kareoke is difficult to dance to and fewer people can get involved at any one point. ( ie one person or group singing - or trying to sing) and the rest have to listen rather than being able to get up and dance with everyone else. We do not have time on the schedule for another evening event. It is more a matter of staffing to host/monitor the event. Friday is taken up with the cocktail party and saturday the main disco when the vast majority of people taking part either want to dance or sit out in the lobby and chat. In past years anything on the sunday has been poorly attended so we prefer to have everyone able to decompress in the lobby at thier own pace.

Becks
                      G4

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                        Anyone is able to make a request for music to be played at the disco. If the DJ has it he will use his copy as he'll know that will work. You may also bring CDs, but please note that they may not work with his equipment. Every request will be considered but please remember that your request may not be played for a number of reasons... if several other people have requested another track that will take precidence and you have to look at the keep the momentum but don't wear people out. Request away, bring music if you like, it isn't a closed shop

As for kareoke. Sorry that is a no. In order for it to really work you need a different environment than we have. it's more something you do in a bar and kareoke is difficult to dance to and fewer people can get involved at any one point. ( ie one person or group singing - or trying to sing) and the rest have to listen rather than being able to get up and dance with everyone else. We do not have time on the schedule for another evening event. It is more a matter of staffing to host/monitor the event. Friday is taken up with the cocktail party and saturday the main disco when the vast majority of people taking part either want to dance or sit out in the lobby and chat. In past years anything on the sunday has been poorly attended so we prefer to have everyone able to decompress in the lobby at thier own pace.

Becks
                        G4
                        Like I said before, whatever the G4 advocates I will abide by. I was only trying to liven up what I remember last year being a very poor turnout imo. Yes, it's an entirely optional event, but I suppose when I attended last year I was expecting quite a few people. We had a nice 'little' group sure and I had plenty of fun with them, but many of the tables remained empty long into the night.

Bringing cd's in I guess will have to work and I understand that even after all this effort, they may not even be played. The reasoning why makes sense too. I was just afraid that being a UK event, the DJ wouldn't have an international selection. The music was fine last year, but there were many tracks that I had never even heard before. For me, familiarity breeds fun. Anyways, its all good. We all have that option of attending or not. I'll just see how it all goes that night and make my decision then.
                        Last edited by Celandine; 21 March 2009, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                          As long as I get to Star Trek across the universe a couple of times throughout the evening then I am generally happy
                          You know, I really do think that playing that song just once in an evening is not enough!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            I loved the selection of songs at the Disco at AT3, I had a lot of fun dancing to almost all of them. I think I need to learn to Doctor Who dance by next time though to complete my repertoire of con-dances. Or maybe it was just the power of those red trousers that night and I really don't know any dances?

I thought the con DJ did a good job. I generally hate professional DJs so I wouldn't want to change that at all. A con disco is different to other discos and you need someone with con experience who is going to play the music we want to hear as opposed to the music he/she thinks we want to hear, which is often different.
                            I can't wait for the abnormal ball! I missed most of AT3's disco as I wasn't feeling to well (to much chocolate I think ) so I have an idea for my costume and I'm looking forward to seeing those Con dances I've heard about, I don't think I'll be able to do any in my wheelchair but I'll have a good laugh have fun watching!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

*gigglesnort*

Out of all the threads for it to come up in, never did I imagine that Animal House would be brought up here... of course I don't know why... silly thoughts... where do they come from...

As for the Abnormals ball, I think I'm going to either go with my original idea, or just tweak around with my Halloween costume that I have planned for this year... that would be fun enough...
                              Simple, yet fun...
                              sigpic
                              awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

OOOH I already have a song request for the disco
                                I'm gonna teach the dance - I made for the kids in my class - to my fellow belgian buddies. So we can all dance it together
                                Other nationalities are also welcome of course
                                * Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one!" *
                                ~ C.S. Lewis, British novelist ~

Comment

Working...
                                X