Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days to go until AT4!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah thanks for the info. It'll come in handy for sure. I have a travel book I bought, and never used this year, for England that I plan on pouring over in more detail later as well.

I think the biggest obstacle for me is gonna be the weather though. November is definitely not the best time to play tourist, even with the many layers I might be wearing. Will definitely be an adventure though.

Oh, and looking at the countdown... If I was dyslexic I'd say we have 368 days left. *bounces prematurely*

Comment

I'm certainly up for doing some sightseeing if others are interested. I've been to England 3 times, including London twice, and have yet to actually see anything in London.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
          I knew everything would be double, I was kinda expecting that.... that's part of the reason I've already started saving... As far as cutting costs a bit, I was thinking that I would just see if anyone wanted to room together....
          I was also thinking that I was going to see about renting a car to do some traveling, but I'm not sure yet... That way I wouldn't have to worry about if I wanted to go somewhere.... Roadtrips are soooo great!
          As for the auction, I still think I'd be a bit nervous for that.... I decided when I went to Chicago that I was going to get a banner... so I picked out the one I wanted and asked them to auction it... Turns out I really wasn't the only one who wanted that particular banner.... and then made the slight mistake of jumping the price a little quickly.... I definately paid for the one that I wanted.... Wow that was a bit OT....
          Anyways...
          I don't know how long you're planning to stay, but I'd highly recommend the London Pass with the Travelcard that you can get with it, if most of the sights and sites you want to see are on their list. (It's a great deal and getting the travelcard well before you arrive was nice.) First time I came (to AT2 in November '06) I came in a few days early and stayed in an efficiency flat off the Gloucester Tube station and used the pass and travelcard to do some whirlwind sightseeing of London on my own before heading back out the Ren to meet up with roomie (who couldn't get off early that year) (yes, the one 'bummer' about school year-time cons....). (And the weather was 50's F with heavy mist/overcast skies some days and it cleared up and was sunny and warmer around the con which was a weekend later than this coming one.)

Although if you didn't want that, as others have said - you can get day or multi-day travelcards at the Tube station at Heathrow. It's how tsaxlady & I got into London the evening and 2 days that we went in before the con. (If you're a Monty Python fan (or even not) go see Spamalot!) And if you're not sure which to buy - the clerks at the windows were wonderful (trying to help you find the best deal) and the queues not too bad to get up to them. (And believe me - the clerks were wonderful - much different than what Strix varia and mandysg1 and I experienced in a Toronto station in August!)
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            I'm certainly up for doing some sightseeing if others are interested. I've been to England 3 times, including London twice, and have yet to actually see anything in London.
            When I went to AT2 I was only able to get enough time off work to fly in for the con and back out again. For AT3 I was able to take a couple extra days so I could do a little sight-seeing. If I'm able to make it to AT4 I hope to spent at least one day playing tourist before the con. As ShimmeringStar said we went to see "Spamalot" and I hope to fit in a musical again next year.
            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Okay I know that this is totally random, but I just thought that I had to share this little OT tidbit...
              So Spamalot actually holds a funny place in my heart.... My Uncle works for Hormel... and they make Spam, so the little spam museum that they have in Minnesota, they have a little section where the clips from that are shown....

Way randomly offtopic, and I appologize for that... Um... Back to ontopic...
              Thank you everyone for the advice, I just need to take it all into account and figure out what I want to do... I know that I want to stay for as long as possible, and make sure I really enjoy every minute of it...
              Pretty sure that won't be a problem... It's Amanda after all....
              As it gets closer I was hoping that maybe I could convince a few others to partake in some fun with me....
              sigpic
              awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

What is this "sightseeing" you speak of?

Seriously, I've been to London how many times and have seen zip.
                I've done some serious shopping, went from place to place but never actually did any sightseeing. I have yet to get into a one mile radius of Buckingham Palace.
                Pathetic con goers, aren't we?

Next trip to London will be in December and once again, I will get there go to Kent via Victoria Station, return on Saturday to see Hamlet and go back to Kent.
                I do like the Battery Power Station (featured in many films and series, even in an episode of MacGyver where it posed as a factory in Bulgaria I believe) that the train passes and I've seen the London Eye from afar (through a train window).

Comment

Comment

I would love to do some sightseeing as well, I think lots of people are up for it. For me it's too early to make any plans yet though (even if Megyn is doing most of the Vancouvertripplanning, that really is all I can handle for now lol).

Something else, I lol everytime I see the gabit website, saying only 300something days till AT4. Hehe.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post

I've done some serious shopping, went from place to place but never actually did any sightseeing. I have yet to get into a one mile radius of Buckingham Palace.

Next trip to London will be in December and once again, I will get there go to Kent via Victoria Station, return on Saturday to see Hamlet and go back to Kent.
                      I do like the Battery Power Station (featured in many films and series, even in an episode of MacGyver where it posed as a factory in Bulgaria I believe) that the train passes and I've seen the London Eye from afar (through a train window).
                      What? How could you forget the 'Jack the Ripper' tour the group of us took?

I'm stll having nightmares...

Spoiler:
                      of all that walking we did
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          What? How could you forget the 'Jack the Ripper' tour the group of us took?

I'm stll having nightmares...

Spoiler:
                          of all that walking we did
                          lol
                          I wouldn't really call the tour "sightseeing". Anke and I did go to Madame. Tussauds the following day... more walking.

Comment

Comment

Happy Birthday Mal!

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X