GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSamFan View Post
    Not watching the Olympics, but I nearly cry every time they play that commercial about the runner who comes in dead last because of an injury, and his dad comes out and runs with him the last few meters...
    That was another one of the moments that made me think "THIS is why I am watching these." I bawled when that happened, it so touched me that his father ran out there to help him finish.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

i wish there was more moments like that and less 'gimme the money'

it's so 'gotta win' now that it's just no fun.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        That was another one of the moments that made me think "THIS is why I am watching these." I bawled when that happened, it so touched me that his father ran out there to help him finish.
        Wow, that is cool! I never saw that.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        i wish there was more moments like that and less 'gimme the money'

it's so 'gotta win' now that it's just no fun.
        I watched the women's over 78 kg judo finals. A Chinese judoka against a Japanese judoka. The Japanese leads by points.

There's only seconds left, the commentator is all like "oh, yeah, it must be really saddening to reach the olympics final in your own country and then lose" but then, with a mere 8 seconds left, the Chinese fighter scores a beautiful throw. Ippon! Gold medal!

For all you know-it-all commentators: it ain't over if fat lady is still singing!
        Or - as in this case - the over 78 kg judoka gets a good grip and gives her opponent a flying lesson.

On the other side of the mat some interviewer asked the Japanese judoka what it was like to lose the fight in the final seconds.
        *insert mic in throat*
        The look of her must have been priceless.

I'm not sure what Olympics this image is from but there was a female marathon runner who more or less walked the last laps, she couldn't even walk straight. I'd rather see something like that than someone running a marathon in record time and looking no worse for wear than I do while sitting on my sofa on Sunday night.

Comment

what gets depressing is...there are so many that try. there's the 'jamaican bobsled team' type of athletes. the ones that know they don't have a hope in hell but still come and try.

i find them more inspiring tahn any other super trained and sponsor backed publicity tools
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ooooh bobsleds. My favorite olympic sport. *looks around*

ACK!

Speaking of Gabit....

Anyone know why baton twirling isn't an olympic sport?

*shifty eyes*
            Jenni

Comment

I don't know about baton twirling, but isn't there something like it in the Rhythmic Gymnastics? Can't remember for sure... *running off to look it up*
              sigpic
              awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

What kinda scares me about the Olympics is the very very young girls in eg, not sure about the word, athletics, gymnastics? We call it turnen. This sport. You just know some of them have been deprived of school, just to train and train and train. And then there are the Olympics and if they fail, they are put aside just like that.
                It makes me sad to see those girls.
                sigpic

Comment

We call it Gymnastics.... Yeah it's funny how much scandal is behind that right now... Personally I'm a fan of swimming... I could watch swimming all day long.... Something about it just draws me in....

Especially my favorite swimmer : Aaron Peirsol He's sooo gorgeous....

But with the swimming, there's really no way to rig it... I mean sure there probably technically are, but in the end it comes down to who can touch the wall first....
                  sigpic
                  awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

I absolutely love rhytmic gymnastics. It's so beautiful.
                    I actually used to do it, competitions and everything. I did it a good 10 years, but had to stop because of school..

Someone better be bringing their batons to AT4!! Cause I wanna see Amanda do it!!

Comment

If there was an Olympic event for the most inspiring and amazing person in the world, Amanda would win Gold, Silver and Bronze...there'd simply be no competition at all!!
                      I hope they do get Amanda to demonstrate her baton twirling prowess at AT4!!
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                        If there was an Olympic event for the most inspiring and amazing person in the world, Amanda would win Gold, Silver and Bronze...there'd simply be no competition at all!!
                        I hope they do get Amanda to demonstrate her baton twirling prowess at AT4!!
                        I think that might be pushing it a bit far, Chelle *Winces*

Sure, for us Amanda is really inspiring, but there's a lot of other individuals in the world whose courage, kindness, wisdom and strength of character makes them huge role models for people as well.
                        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                          I think that might be pushing it a bit far, Chelle *Winces*
                          Sure, for us Amanda is really inspiring, but there's a lot of other individuals in the world whose courage, kindness, wisdom and strength of character makes them huge role models for people as well.
                          True...but it's all hypothetical anyway...you didn't think I was serious did you???
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I love watching the horse events and was lucky enough to catch the Freestyle Grand Prix which is dressage to music. Lovely to watch.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                              I love watching the horse events and was lucky enough to catch the Freestyle Grand Prix which is dressage to music. Lovely to watch.
                              The Canadian show jumping team won a silver medal. One of the members of that team has been to NINE Olympics (missed one because of the boycott in Moscow) and this was his first medal. His wife, who just died of cancer, told him he was a "late bloomer" and not to give up. That's the kind of Olympic story I love.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Did anyone see the Pentathalon show jumping yesterday. It was a complete shambles. They don't bring their own horses and have to use local ones. They can't even pick which ones they want to ride, they get assigned them in a kind of lottery, so the horse they where using were not that good.

This might only be viewable to UK users, but it is the worst of the performances, I really feel sorry for the rider who probably lost all chances of a medal and the person who was assigned to ride the horse after him.
                                http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...on/7574507.stm
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X