GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
    I'm sure I heard Ames say "aboot" once. Or otherwise she was talking about people saying "aboot".. can't remember as she talks a lot!
    Keep in mind, Ames is not a normal Canadian...ah I mean she doesn't speak like most of do

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
    Ahem.....Pacific Northwest.....yes there is a huge difference. I was born and raised in Sacramento but got smart and moved to Oregon

Mandy say "Process" *snicker*

....And Mandy's Ma adopted me
    Ahem, and that can be revoked, unless you learn to say 'Process' properly
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      I do? Well, how "aboat" that, eh?I know lots of fans talk about Amanda's accent but I think she sounds completely normal!
      She does sound perfectly normal. LOL. It's only certain words which are pronounced differently, regionally, that I can hear with her.

Some of the folks on the show I watch have the TV-Stereotypical accent like from the movie Fargo, doncha know...the Minnesota accent. *waves at Antoa, who doesn't have that accent* I love the accent, myself. But then, I adore Canada.

Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
        It all depends where in Canada they are from. Usually it's "a boat"...like in AT's case. *giggles* So cute. The more east coast, the stronger the accent.

I watch entirely too much Ice Road Truckers.
        Ah bummer!
        Now some of them REALLY have accents. Especially this season. Since my sister and brother both drive trucks, it's required watching for me.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        LOL, I"m sure Jan will be pleased to be mistaken for a Canadian I'm from Onatrio, Jan is from the west coast of the USA, but she picked up her Canadian sweat shirt while visiting me...yep she was trying to pass herself off as a one of us

Come to think of it...so was Antoa
        It's safer to travel as a Canadian.

Originally posted by antoa View Post
        Indeed I was

But I was made an honouray Canadian because they figured that Minnesota was close enough.
        Now we're really talking accents here. Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and the upper peninsula of Michigan. They all have that Swedish slant on their accents.

Ahem.....Pacific Northwest.....yes there is a huge difference. I was born and raised in Sacramento but got smart and moved to Oregon

....And Mandy's Ma adopted me
        Haven't seen much of Oregon, but absolutely loved what I did see. I SOOOO want to get back to the northwest.

Keep in mind, Ames is not a normal Canadian...ah I mean she doesn't speak like most of do

Ahem, and that can be revoked, unless you learn to say 'Process' properly
        I cracked up listening to the radio last week. (About 1/2 of the stations I listen to are Canadian stations.) Of course we all now the 'process' difference -- Americans use short o, Canadians long o. So, a commercial comes on for a grocery store advertising their fresh 'produce' -- said with a short o, in the states we say it with a long o. Jump across the border and you have to switch your o sounds to the reverse of what you were saying. I just thought the reversal was funny.

She does sound perfectly normal. LOL. It's only certain words which are pronounced differently, regionally, that I can hear with her.

Some of the folks on the show I watch have the TV-Stereotypical accent like from the movie Fargo, doncha know...the Minnesota accent. *waves at Antoa, who doesn't have that accent* I love the accent, myself. But then, I adore Canada.

We had to take dad to the Mayo clinic, which is in Rochester, Minnesota. There were some heavy accents there. Very Fargoish. I about lost it when one of the nurses said "Ah, geez". All I could picture was the movie.

My sister used to work for a company that was headquartered in Wisconsin. She'd come home with a Wisconsin accent if she spent a lot of time at the office.
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
          Now some of them REALLY have accents. Especially this season. Since my sister and brother both drive trucks, it's required watching for me.

OMG I LOVE the show!
          Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            I do? Well, how "aboat" that, eh?
            I know lots of fans talk about Amanda's accent but I think she sounds completely normal!
            Hehehe...I can't wait to meet you net year...just to hear your voice/accent...yay!!!
            Yep, perfectly normally
            and no I don't say 'aboat' or 'aboot'...unless I'm looking for one
            Hehehe!!
            How do you pronounce "process"??
            We say it...let me try to get this right...pro - as in rhymes with row...and cess - as in sess. Easy!!
            I'm glad you cleared that up!!
            It all depends where in Canada they are from. Usually it's "a boat"...like in AT's case. *giggles* So cute. The more east coast, the stronger the accent.
            I watch entirely too much Ice Road Truckers.
            Ah bummer!
            So it's not just me that hears it like that then??? Phew...thoght it might have just been my Aussie ears hearing it wrong!!
            Ice Road Truckers...I need to see that...my brothers would love that seeings how they are both truckies...and I'm sure hubby would get an idea or two for his truck!...and Tom...he watches too much tv as it is!!!

Just a quick question about AT4...where does everyone eat breakfast, lunch and dinner???
            How much time do we get for lunch?
            Not that I'm thinking about my tummy right now...well I am but that's because I have a wonky tummy...I think it was the fish...but I'm just wondering...I get bored and my mind wanders!!
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
              Just a quick question about AT4...where does everyone eat breakfast, lunch and dinner???
              Not that I'm thinking about my tummy right now...well I am but that's because I have a wonky tummy...I think it was the fish...but I'm just wondering...I get bored and my mind wanders!!
              Breakfast was included in the special gabit roomrate at the hotel.

Lunch ... they arranged for the hotel to have a room where we could buy things for lunch (although I found they had strange things for lunch lol, like potatoes with beans and grated cheese, but then I'm used to a cheese sandwich for lunch .... luckily they had an assortment of sandwiches as well ). The prices of that were very reasonable too IIRC.
              Not a lot of people were there though, so I'm not sure what others did.

Diner. I had diner at 2 different pubs and at McDonals. All close enough to walk and not expensive at all. I have to say though, also the food for dinner was a bit weird, maybe it's because it were pubs and not real restaurants, but almost everything was deepfried and greasy. I ordered a tuna salad and that was way different then I would get here (like, there was no lettuce, I thought salad = lettuce but apparantly not lol).

You can also eat dinner at the hotel. I guess it depends on with who you hang out with and where the "group" decides to go. Personally I don't like going to dinner with large groups, but I think both pubs as well as McD of course could handle little "groups".
              sigpic

Comment

If you stay at the Renaissance, usually breakfast is included in the room price, and is eaten in the Brasserie Restaurant.

Lunch is usually around 45 minutes I think. (I usually have to be reminded to eat, and at AT3 had a volunteer expecially to do just that ) The hotel lays on a cash refreshment bar for our attendees. You can buy sandwiches, fruit, crisps (chips for our trans Atlantic friends) and drinks (hot and cold.)

Dinner is usually taken with friends wherever and whenever. There are some pubs in the area, the hotel has a restaurant (fairly pricey) and if all else fails, there's a Maccy D's just up the road.

Hmmn. Yes, my mind usually wanders in the direction of food when I get bored too!

Mumsey
                (Who has a shopping bag that always makes me think of chelle because it has ladybirds all over it!)
                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

I took breakfast most days in the hotel restaurant. It wasn't bad and was buffet style with a variety to choose from. Eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, fresh fruit, etc.. I was a bit amazed at there being beans offered but I was told it's part of a proper English breakfast.

Lunch and Dinner was anything and anywhere you wanted it to be. There seemed to be a substantial break in the afternoon as mostly the photo and auto sessions were going on then, so I know for a fact people either took lunch in the little room that had prepared cold sandwiches and the like for sale if they didnt want to leave the hotel or went out to the two pubs in the area, walked down a block or two to the petrol station on the corner for light snacks or the Mcdonalds cross the street.

Personally, one day during the afternoon I got pretty antsy sitting around and decided I needed a walk. Yeah, that restless energy again. Anyways, I headed up the street and must have gone at least two miles or more when I came to a little suburb or whatever. Found a little Indian restaurant and would have ordered if I was hungry cos the food looked really good. Instead, I just ordered a mango lassi which is kind of a cross between a milkshake and a smoothie. The weather was delightful that day and it just hit the spot for my return trip back.

Comment

OMG I LOVE the show!
                    Me too! Out of curiousity, can our Canadian friends tell us if it's shown in Canada? I was wondering since it's about Canadian truckers.

How do you pronounce "process"??
                    We say it...let me try to get this right...pro - as in rhymes with row...and cess - as in sess. Easy!!

So it's not just me that hears it like that then??? Phew...thoght it might have just been my Aussie ears hearing it wrong!!
                    Ice Road Truckers...I need to see that...my brothers would love that seeings how they are both truckies...and I'm sure hubby would get an idea or two for his truck!...and Tom...he watches too much tv as it is!!!

In the states we say it prah-sess.

We did the buffet breakfast both mornings. McD's for lunch. Pub one night for dinner and pizza the other night. They'll deliver pizza right to the room and works out pretty cheap per person.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    I took breakfast most days in the hotel restaurant. It wasn't bad and was buffet style with a variety to choose from. Eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, fresh fruit, etc.. I was a bit amazed at there being beans offered but I was told it's part of a proper English breakfast.

Lunch and Dinner was anything and anywhere you wanted it to be. There seemed to be a substantial break in the afternoon as mostly the photo and auto sessions were going on then, so I know for a fact people either took lunch in the little room that had prepared cold sandwiches and the like for sale if they didnt want to leave the hotel or went out to the two pubs in the area, walked down a block or two to the petrol station on the corner for light snacks or the Mcdonalds cross the street.

Personally, one day during the afternoon I got pretty antsy sitting around and decided I needed a walk. Yeah, that restless energy again. Anyways, I headed up the street and must have gone at least two miles or more when I came to a little suburb or whatever. Found a little Indian restaurant and would have ordered if I was hungry cos the food looked really good. Instead, I just ordered a mango lassi which is kind of a cross between a milkshake and a smoothie. The weather was delightful that day and it just hit the spot for my return trip back.
                    Been to England twice now and still can't eat beans for breakfast. I never do regular beans anyway, only baked beans with brown sugar and spices and onions and green peppers. Yummmm
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Been to England twice now and still can't eat beans for breakfast. I never do regular beans anyway, only baked beans with brown sugar and spices and onions and green peppers. Yummmm
                      Yup me too! Usually this is served alongside some grilled bratwurst or chicken as well.

Once in a while, well when I had a kitchen, I'd make some yummy spanish-style beans that were just awesome with white rice and tortillas.

Mostly I avoid beans though and don't know how the Brits do it. Being constantly flatulent doesnt sound like all that much fun, especially if your hanging out with friends or have to work all day.

Comment

I wasn't in a con rate room for two nights of the con so I brought packed breakfast for two mornings and enough packed lunch for two days. I ate in the snack bar at the hotel the last day and it was good food and reasonably priced (best company too *g*). I think dinner was one night at the pub, one at Maccy D's and Saturday night where my 'dinner' was chocolate, a packet of crisps and cidre *g*

Mmm...beans for breakfast...
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Actually, just talking on the phone with my sister will bring my accent back *sigh* You can still hear it in some words, but I think it's lost it's 'Swedish edge'. I've really developed a strange accent.

Comment

We say it...let me try to get this right...pro - as in rhymes with row...and cess - as in sess. Easy!! ...So it's not just me that hears it like that then??? Phew...thoght it might have just been my Aussie ears hearing it wrong!! ...Ice Road Truckers...I need to see that...
                            Aussies...*rolls eyes* (kidding! Only kidding. HEE!) And yes, you need to see it. It's addicting for some weird reason. At AT3 we tended to eat breakfast and dinner at The Three Magpies, which is a quaint little pub about 2 blocks up the road. A quick walk. Quite tasty, compared to another pub I tried () at a friend's hotel. They had a 2 for 10 (pounds) deal on quite a few items, so Jeff and I got that quite a bit. Although, since we'd only broughy $400 for the trip, and the dollar is so weak, that was $10 a plate for us. EEPS! But they serve a LARGE meal.

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                            Breakfast was included in the special gabit room rate at the hotel.
                            I booked through Expedia as I was doing a tour as well, and had booked the flight separately since I had a total of 3 flights to manage.

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                            Hmmn. Yes, my mind usually wanders in the direction of food when I get bored too!
                            Me too, Mumsey. *sigh* One day. ONE day I'll beat that...

In the states we say it prah-sess.
                            Right right. *nods* Silly rest of the world...*giggle*

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            I wasn't in a con rate room for two nights of the con
                            Next time, since I am not planning any excursions, I will book the flight through a cheap site (cheapinternationalflights.com I KID you not...it is a real site) and will book the hotel straight through the Ren...and get the con rate for those few nights. I think it'll end up cheaper in the long run.

Actually, just talking on the phone with my sister will bring my accent back *sigh* You can still hear it in some words, but I think it's lost it's 'Swedish edge'. I've really developed a strange accent.
                            HEE. Next time, record the conversation. LOL!

I pick up accents SO easily, it's insane. And on that same token, I was bursting into an English accent at any given time while I was in London. I blame that SOLELY on Amanda Tapping. A habit of hers, for sure, and one I definitely picked up.
                            Jenni

Comment

I ate at the 3 magpies a couple of times, and it wasn't too bad. Of course, I think with any pub, you're never going to get what you might expect from a slightly more upmarket restaurant - but at least there's a variety and the prices are reasonable. And, as Lies said, if you're in the mood for a good salad, seriously hold it in until you're out of the area or somewhere "decent" (like the hotel restaurant - although be prepared for a mark up price). A pub's idea of a salad is those little bits of lettuce and cucumber you stick on the side of a great big steak.
                              sigpic

Comment

Paul Brown (Legends) is an ExPat Brit who emigrated to Canada. His girls were born there. When he is in Canada he has quite a Canadian accent, but as soon as he comes home, (or spends some time with us) his English accent creeps back.

Mumsey
                                (Who tends to pick up accents wherever she spends time)
                                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X