GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    So ...... was reading in the news section about a convention (Fedcon) in Texas that got cancelled one day in. Feel very sorry for the attendees and even more thankful for the fabulous G4.
    Anyone hear why it got cancelled?
    sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
      Anyone hear why it got cancelled?
      http://www.fedconusa.com/main/
      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
      William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
      Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        ooo, ouch, thanks for sharing the link!
        sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
          (You're a great hugger too, right? LOL!)
          You're gonna be at AT4 right ames???
          I lkke to think I give good hugs...you can tell me if I am next year!!
          Originally posted by EH-T View Post
          So ...... was reading in the news section about a convention (Fedcon) in Texas that got cancelled one day in. Feel very sorry for the attendees and even more thankful for the fabulous G4.
          Oh how sad. I was happy to read how some of the actors still went down stairs to meet the fans even though the event had been cancelled. To me, that would have made my day...if I had attended an even and then had it cancelled on me, and then the actors came down to meet us anyway...then I would have walked away from that feeling a whole lot better than if I had seen nothing.
          I'm sorry that not only the attendees missed out on a great weekend but that the volunteers and the organizers worked so hard for things to just go south...am I right in reading that FedCon Germany was sponsoring them then pulled out?? Doesn't seem right to me.
          When we started off on this endeavor with FedCon Germany at our side, we had the financial backing and experience of one of the best convention organizations on the planet. However, with their understandable withdrawal from FedConUSA, we were left without the inside experience and cash reserves.
          I'd like to know what was so understandable about withdrawing...not that I'm pointing fingers or anything...but you either support someone or you don't...you shouldn't get the ball going then walk away. Just MHO...but I'm not making any judgments here...I'm just a bit confused at why this happened.
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

About FedconUSA - the actors were really great especially John Billingsley and his wife Bonita Friedericy. When they said it was cancelled I think most of us were in a little shocked and little in denial. John and Bonita who were on stage at the time and started asking questions about who to contact about getting reimbursement for the con, whether or not the hotel would honor the cost of the rooms, etc. Then they went through the audience with mic's so our questions could be heard. The actors did come down and talk/take pictures sign autographics for us some honored the gold tickets some did not, but that is another issue. They got ripped as well as us by the FedconUSA people. Some people at work after hearing about FedconUSA wanted to know if I was still going to AT4 - I said of course the people running the conventions for Amanda are the best and would of never let it go so far as to have both some guest and fans show up knowing they really didn't have the money to pull it off. OK I am off my soap box for new - and yes I did luck out as I do live in the area.

Comment

Apologies for not putting this where it belongs:

Spoiler:
              From the link http://www.fedconusa.com/main/

"Our intention was to bring the unique FedCon experience to the states. In recent years, many other conventions have just been turned into money-making machines, and while many fans may have enjoyed those mega-conventions, anybody that has been to FedCon Germany knows the incredible fan-focused atmosphere and experience that one gets there."

As someone who attended FedCon Germany twice years ago I can honestly say: They don't give a rat's ass about fans! It's a money oriented business, nothing more!

FedCon Germany is a prime example of a mega-convention.

I'd just like to say that I retired from conventions because of mega-events and money oriented organizers.

I was thrilled when the G4 announced Gabit. I didn't even mind them postponing it (twice) because of Amanda's schedule. Such is convention life.

I remember one of the stewards talking to me during the AT2 autograph session. "Hey, I haven't seen you at any other for a year. Where have you been?"
              Me: "I haven't been to any other conventions. This is the one to go to!"
              Especially because it is the one that Amanda is a guest at.
              Last edited by Fresh_Horse; 18 June 2008, 10:25 PM. Reason: Edited because of OTness

Comment

OT...sorry!
                Spoiler:
                Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
                From the link http://www.fedconusa.com/main/
                "Our intention was to bring the unique FedCon experience to the states. In recent years, many other conventions have just been turned into money-making machines, and while many fans may have enjoyed those mega-conventions, anybody that has been to FedCon Germany knows the incredible fan-focused atmosphere and experience that one gets there."
                As someone who attended FedCon Germany twice years ago I can honestly say: They don't give a rat's ass about fans! It's a money oriented business, nothing more!

FedCon Germany is a prime example of a mega-convention.
                I got the impression from the letter thingy that FedCon Germany was supporting FedCon USA and then pulled out...but for what reason I don't know...but lets say that is the case...I think FedCon Germany has a lot to answer for...of course it certainly doesn't do anything for their reputation either...if I were an actor I wouldn't touch FedCon again...sometimes I think its the smaller organizers that make the best cons. The more for the fans and actors they are, the better the event...the more money hungry they are...the less enjoyable the event...I've been very lucky to have experienced nothing but great events...mind you I have only been to 5 but they've all been exceptionally wonderful.

So fresh horse...you're German yes???
                Are you going to AT4 next year?? I'll be over in Germany just before I head to AT4...we could meet before if you want??
                Last edited by Chelle DB; 18 June 2008, 05:20 AM. Reason: whoops...sorry bout the OT!!
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

guys, Fedcon, and your issues with it, really aren't on topic here. This is about GAbit. So if you have issues with Fedcon, please take it to that thread
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

bag back.JPG

stargate bag front.JPG
                    click for bigger

Hey guys, here's the pics of the bag that was in the AT3 auction. Sorry it to so long.

And I just noticed that Corin Nemic's name is spelt wrong, I am so disappointed in myself, I apologise profusely to the person who bought the bag and to Corin too.

I have dyslexia and didn't see it was wrong, until now.

Edit: The website addy on the pics belongs to my friend, she helped me make the bag.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                      [ATTACH]5959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5960[/ATTACH]
                      click for bigger

Hey guys, here's the pics of the bag that was in the AT3 auction. Sorry it to so long.

And I just noticed that Corin Nemic's name is spelt wrong, I am so disappointed in myself, I apologise profusely to the person who bought the bag and to Corin too.

I have dyslexia and didn't see it was wrong, until now.

Edit: The website addy on the pics belongs to my friend, she helped me make the bag.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      That's a beautiful bag Julia! Well done!

You know, mistakes happen. What counts is that you and your friend put in the time and effort and it raised a lot of money for a wonderful cause. Besides, at least Corin got a mention which is more than he got from Stargate after Season 7!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

It is with deep sadness that I have to inform you that the GABIT family has recently suffered a huge loss.

Ruthie Alexander, sadly died last week from meningitis. She was 32.

Mumsey and I attended the funeral yesterday in Scotland along with Ruth, Jo and Maz, who worked so closely with her at our events. The church was packed, standing room only showing in how regard she was held by so many.

Collectively known as "The Kawoosh Girls" Ruthie, Ruth, Jo and Maz, have been part of GABITs Auction crew since the begining and assited at numerous other conventions as stewards and crew.

We are all devasted by the sudden and unexpected loss of such a vibrant, loving and generous member of our Family. She will be sorely missed but forever in our hearts.

Margaret and John (her parents) were grateful for all the messages they have recieved so far, and thanked everyone for thier kindness and thoughtfulness in a very difficult time.

If anyone who knew Ruthie (fairygnomes on live journal) would like to send a card to her parents please pm me for the address. There is also a charity nominated by the family if you wish to send something in leiu of flowers.

As a lasting memorial to Ruthie, and with Margaret and John's blessing, one of AT3's Hearing dog puppies will be called "Ruthie"

hug your loved ones
                        Becks
                        G4

Last edited by becky_preen; 18 June 2008, 11:45 AM.

Comment

My heartfelt condolences goes out to Ruthie's Family and friends.

It saddens me that such a lovely young woman has passed away, far too young.
                          Words fail me, I'm at a loss as to what to say.

My Heart goes out to those who knew Ruthie.
                          Last edited by Terrah; 18 June 2008, 03:08 PM.

Comment

To Ruthie's family, friends and to the Gabit family my most heartfelt condolences on such an unexpected and tragic loss. There are no words to express how very sorry I am to see the loss of such a bright young life.

I am sorry I didn't get to know her.

(((Ruthie's Family & Friends))))

((((Gabit Family))))
                            sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

My most sincere condolences to you guys, and Ruthie's family. I only really met her once at AT3, but she was so much fun.

And 'Ruthie' is a wonderful tribute.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                                As a lasting memorial to Ruthie, and with Margaret and John's blessing, one of AT3's Hearing dog puppies will be called "Ruthie"
                                Please offer my deepest condolences to everyone involved, Becky. And that last bit has me in tears.
                                Jenni

Comment

Working...
                                X