GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    now we have to show her the secret handshake!
    Handshake? You didn't show me any handshake *eyes Mandy warily*
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
      Handshake? You didn't show me any handshake *eyes Mandy warily*
      Oh, um, didn't I guess I'll have to show you next time you come up here
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        now we have to show her the secret handshake!
        I thought it was called checking?

GO WINGS!
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
          I took up rock climbing because I was afraid of heights...talking to random strangers because I'm shy isn't too much of a step.
          I am not sure I quite have the self esteem for that.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i get the SAME thing. the old 'your clock is ticking' crap. folks, i haven't found a man i can stand to be around for very long, and i'm sure not gonna get married just to keep society happy so....get over it.
          I settled. Twice.

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
          I swing from one to the other. I really, really like my alone time. I feel quite awkward around other people and joke quite a lot about my neglected and under developed social skills. I'm much happier in a corner with a book than around people. I find it very difficult to talk about some things. Hit a sore point and you'll see me hunch my shoulders, the hands go in the pocket and I shuffle around on my feet. Or scratch my arms. I get very, very awkward and shy, and the bottled up "stuff" manifests itself in weird physical quirks. I'm really not naturally good with people.
          I didn't realize we had that in common!
          Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
            Spoiler:

Oh wow...I never expected this response...wow!!!
            Just so you all know...I will be there next year!!
            My kids are now 12 and 15.5 years of age and have no qualms about me going...I think the issue with hubby is that he feels he'll have to sacrifice some of his work time to attend to the kids...and he will.
            Unfortunately for him, he's been spoiled as I have always picked up the slack with the kids. He has no problem with cooking. He's our cook when we go camping and he makes the best pancakes...so no doubt the kids will be well fed...if not overly!!
            As for the cleaning...well that's up for debate. I like my house cleaned just so...he and the kids on the other hand like to just slap it together if you will.
            I'm not worried about that though.
            When I was pregnant with both babies, I made sure that I had prepared meals to last 2 weeks...I didn't want for him to go hungry while I was in hospital and I didn't want to cook when I came home with the new bundle. But the kids are big enough to help out so no need for that!!!...besides, I broke the freezer so we have no freezer at this stage!
            I have to admit...hubby and I are so much closer now than we ever have been in our 15 year marriage...and it just feels like its' getting better all the time. We both have interests apart from each other and do have our time out's. This weekend sees him and Tom off for the bi-annual boys weekend...I have my cons and every 2 years I go away with my girlfriends from school.
            So while he may grumble now about the impending trip...I'm not letting him throw a tantrum to try and get me to stay home...being a mum, you learn how to deal with tantrums and the like...so I'm playing it cool!! I am sooo going to be at AT4...and I can't wait to meet all of you there.
            Becky...I bet your hubby and mine would get on like a house on fire!
            Thank you everyone for your wonderful posts.
            Rest assured...I shall be there!!!!!!!! Yay!!

I can't wait!!
            Chelle, Glad to hear you're all set to go!

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            Hey! How are Ya?

Yes, I wore my badge all through France but took it off for the flight home in case they considered it a weapon!

Chelle, glad we convinced you although I don't think you really needed convincing just a little confirmation to relieve the guilt.

Suse, how wonderfully supportive of your sister. Good on you and Laura for rescuing Scifithinker!

Interesting to hear (or rather see) everyone's views on attitudes of others to their Stargate and Sam/Amanda appreciation. I am sort of like Skydiver, I don't wear Stargate T-shirts or even own any. I did try bidding on a Sanctuary one at AT3 but someone else got it. I'm not really a collector and while I like my picture with Amanda I must admit it resides in a drawer. I don't watch a lot of television and don't really discuss TV much with friends and family. I only know of one friend who is a big Stargate fan but there could be others, I just don't bring it up much. Some know it is my favourite show. My trip to AT3 was an add on to a trip to France to see family. For those who ask what I did in London I tell them but mostly they ask about Paris. It is not that I am ashamed by any means, I think it is just part of my personality, I generally prefer talking with friends and family about them not me. That's why GW is a nice outlet to discuss Stargate. Especially since it is a way to share the experiences of AT3 with those who were there or those who want to hear about it. Things will change if I go to AT4 as then people will ask why I'm going and what I'm doing.
            LOL...I just found my badges last night. I'm finally getting down to sorting out the last bits of my GABIT goodies! I put them all on my lanyard and hung it up. Tis a nice reminder of a fabulous time!

On Stargate/Fandom: I'm the only one in my family who watches SciFi. And, with the exception of my poor husband, who knows about Stargate because, ummmmmm, it's on A LOT in our house , if I said the word Stargate to them, they wouldn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. Consequently, I don't really discuss any of it with them; not the show or my con activities. They just wouldn't get it. I do have one colleague who's a fan of the show, but he's more of a casual fan. That's why I like coming here too. It's so very nice to be able to be as enthusiastic about my favorite show and actors as I want and know that somebody else just "gets" where I'm coming from. And in the bargain, I've made some wonderful new friends!

Thanks, sueKay!

Thanks, Mala!

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
              I'm amazed at Amanda's ability to be "on" for an entire weekend. Not once did she appear to be tired or cranky or put upon. I never got any sense other than the sense that she was exactly where she wanted to be the entire time she was at the con. She's such a tactile person too, not to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of people she hugged. The woman is definitely an extrovert. Or damned good at playing one.
              An extrovert? You are talking about the woman who is visibly shaking the first couple of minutes of her first panel?
              Extrovert or damned good at playing one? I'll take the latter for 500, Alex!

I had been going to conventions for a couple of years when I met Amanda for the first time. It was at a cocktail party and while Shanks was accompanied by bodyguards and the con organizers AT wasn't that easy to spot as she pretty much by herself worked the room.
              By sheer coincidence she came close to our group when Shanks was in the vicinity and the con organizer (who kept a close eye on MS' fans) turned and introduced me to AT. (brilliant timing that was!)

I just asked her a couple of ship questions when one of my friends asked her if she could take a photo of us. "Oh sure!" and AT immediately put her arm around my shoulder. Like you do when you are with friends and someone wants to take a photo.
              Now, from my other con experiences I always felt that yes, you can stand close, but not to close and you better not touch the actor!
              It's different with Amanda. You never get the feeling that you are just a fan.

Anyway, back to AT3. I think Amanda gets a convention high like we all do.
              What I think is brilliant is that for half of the day, we get to listen to her and she has a room full of people wanting to hear her talk about her life (and work).
              The rest of the day, the same people who have been listening come up to her and talk about their lifes and she listens.

Give and take.

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
                I went to AT3 alone AND didn't know anyone. I met so many wonderful people to spend time chatting with. The hotel construction I guess made it more difficult this year (people told me) so I did spend some time by myself but I enjoy that to. I go alot of places by myself (not married). If I always waited for a time when my friends could also go, I'd miss out on alot of my trips. And my family/friends, lets just say, don't share my love of all things Amanda or Stargate, heh.

So Chelle, you go girl! And DON'T let those who are trying to make you feel guilty about going get you down. You tell them this is for your mental health and in the long run will be better foryou and your family. It will teach your children that everyone deserves time for themselves, Moms and Dads included. It's also a good lesson for your daughter that she to is entitled to think of herself first. You can't always put others before yourself. If you do, eventually, there won't be anything left of YOU to give.
                Exactly what I was just going to write! Weird--I had just started writing it offline (I do that for most of my posts) when I decided to try to catch up with more of the thread and Erin, you said it all for me. I am a great advocate of traveling alone as I've always met lots of interesting people that way. Once I drove all the way across Canada alone and enjoyed it immensely. I camped out often and when it rained stayed at "mom and pop" motels.

You'll love it!

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                  I am so with you on this one. (Rant in spoilers so folk can avoid.)

Spoiler:
                  My sister has never been able to come to terms with fandom of any kind. Our mother was a Mario Lanza fan who helped to run his fan club. Remember, this was in the days before the internet, but she had pen-pals all over the world. She had rhumatoid arthritis and was housebound most of the time. That club was her escape, and kept her 'alive'. She was very aware that her obsession would not be appreciated by her family, and kept her activities with it to the day time, and ran her house as best she could given her disabilities. I personally never suffered through this, and was pleased that she had this diversion to help her through the years of pain she bore. My sister, who is 8 years my senior, never complained to me, but I don't know if she felt in any way deprived.

She is learning to live with my obsession with Stargate and RDA. I know she doesn't like the time taken up with GABIT, and I am aware that she does resent it. I am getting very strong vibes from her about my forthcoming sojourn to Canada in August. Three weeks on the other side of the Atlantic is going to be quite a trial for her. I try not to feel guilty, but it's hard. I have my life to live. She still has her husband - mine was lost to me four years ago. Gatecon is going to be hard. He loved going to Vancouver and joining in the con. He would have loved being involved in GABIT.

My point, in this lengthy rant, is that some folks have a very narrow view of what it is to really get involved in something - anything. My sister has never (in her adult life) been 'into' anything (although as a teenager she would follow Doris Day's fashions and hairstyles very closely, being a natural platinum blonde). Her life has revolved around work and her husband (they have no kids - their choice). Holidays were always spent in very few venues in the UK. In retirement, she spends a lot of time in her garden and on her hobbies of photography and painting. I, and my kids, are all she has as a family, and she has very few friends. The internet terrifies her and she won't have anything to do with it. (Our Mum would have LOVED it!) She is tied to her way of life and I am 'out there' giving it all I can and living it all I can, and trying very hard not to feel guilty about it. (And succeeding to a degree!)

Mumsey - not bovvered what others think!
                  And you should NEVER feel guilty!! You are an especially giving individual and I'm really glad to know you. And I look forward to seeing you again at Gatecon.

I have been on the board of an adult music camp and have run into a bunch of women who would love to attend but say yhey can't because of family obligations. I have said to them that they should remember that they should have an obligation to themselves, too, to which they answer they would feel selfish to do such a thing. Life's too short to give away all one's time to others and to resent it when it's too late. They are almost always of the opinion that because I'm single, have no kids, that I don't understand.

Oh, well--everyone must choose for themselves. Ever since I quit my business I have been so happy going to cons--especially Avalon and AT3!!!
                  Thanks for your GIFT to all of us!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

sue and i travel well together because we do get each others' quirks. I need my alone time, she crashes early and gets up early. she also needs her 'get me the heck away from people' moments, wehre she doesn't want to be social, but just wants to get away

there's nothing wrong at a con with just going off on your own. Obviously, do it safely adn reasonably , but there's nothing wrong with some decompression time. Get away from the hustle and bustle and crowds and just curl up in a corner and chill.

It actually makes you understand why the actors need to go off on thier own every once in a while. They need to 'turn off' and just relax for a bit. That's why they have green rooms and sanctuaries for them, 'safe' places where they can chill.

I'm like that. When I travel to Vermont to stay with my friend I always spend at least part of the time on my own. Even if it's just going upstairs to read quietly or have a nap.

Comment

So what we need for AT4 is one of those Tollan devices that shows blue or red, not to show you have a Goa'uld (although I wonder about TJ ), but to show blue when you want company and red when we should leave you alone.
                      yeah
                      Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
                      An extrovert? You are talking about the woman who is visibly shaking the first couple of minutes of her first panel?

I had been going to conventions for a couple of years when I met Amanda for the first time. It was at a cocktail party and while Shanks was accompanied by bodyguards and the con organizers AT wasn't that easy to spot as she pretty much by herself worked the room.
                      By sheer coincidence she came close to our group when Shanks was in the vicinity and the con organizer (who kept a close eye on MS' fans) turned and introduced me to AT. (brilliant timing that was!)

I just asked her a couple of ship questions when one of my friends asked her if she could take a photo of us. "Oh sure!" and AT immediately put her arm around my shoulder. Like you do when you are with friends and someone wants to take a photo.
                      Now, from my other con experiences I always felt that yes, you can stand close, but not to close and you better not touch the actor!

What I think is brilliant is that for half of the day, we get to listen to her and she has a room full of people wanting to hear her talk about her life (and work).
                      The rest of the day, the same people who have been listening come up to her and talk about their lifes and she listens.

Give and take.

Awesome!
                      Yeah I was surprised by how nervous Amanda really was, I think its really sweet that Amanda still reacts that way.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                        Yay!! Glad everything has been decided then. We Gabiteers can be quite the persuasive bunch I think.
                        Gabiteers?? Cool...so does that mean that next year I get to be a Gabiteer too???
                        Chelle, glad we convinced you although I don't think you really needed convincing just a little confirmation to relieve the guilt.
                        Interesting to hear (or rather see) everyone's views on attitudes of others to their Stargate and Sam/Amanda appreciation. I am sort of like Skydiver, I don't wear Stargate T-shirts or even own any. I did try bidding on a Sanctuary one at AT3 but someone else got it. I'm not really a collector and while I like my picture with Amanda I must admit it resides in a drawer. I don't watch a lot of television and don't really discuss TV much with friends and family. I only know of one friend who is a big Stargate fan but there could be others, I just don't bring it up much. Some know it is my favourite show. My trip to AT3 was an add on to a trip to France to see family. For those who ask what I did in London I tell them but mostly they ask about Paris. It is not that I am ashamed by any means, I think it is just part of my personality, I generally prefer talking with friends and family about them not me. That's why GW is a nice outlet to discuss Stargate. Especially since it is a way to share the experiences of AT3 with those who were there or those who want to hear about it. Things will change if I go to AT4 as then people will ask why I'm going and what I'm doing.
                        Never needed the convincing...well not me...hubby is a different kettle of fish all together...but still..I'll be there!!!
                        I'm a bit different from you and Sky in that I actually own a SG shirt...and would you believe it...hubby bought it for me!!
                        I also own 2 Sanctuary shirts with which I share with my daughter when we go to conventions...and I have several pins and badges that I wear.
                        I try really hard to not talk about it around my family as I quite often get grief for mentioning it...but try as I might...sometimes my excitement gets the better of me and out it pops...but...I tend to down play it more now...which kinda peeves me to no end as this is my hobby which makes me immensely happy so why should I hide it??? But some people just don't want to know...I just hate it when the bring up the subject and as soon as I say something, it's on for young and old! Its best to just not talk about it.
                        I do however have some of my pictures on display...have copped grief about that too but this is my house and I'll do what I please with my photos...tough titties for them!
                        Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by antoa View Post
                        We just wanted to be awesome like the Canadians
                        And I was made an honourary one. They figured that Minnesota was close enough
                        And now it is official, you even spell like a Canadian, eh!

See...that's how we spell it here too...but in firefox it comes up as an error because of the American way of spelling it...I think Aussies and Canadians and the English are pretty much the same.
                        Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                        As for the introvert / extrovert thing...
                        Spoiler:
                        I swing from one to the other. I really, really like my alone time. I feel quite awkward around other people and joke quite a lot about my neglected and under developed social skills. I'm much happier in a corner with a book than around people. I find it very difficult to talk about some things. Hit a sore point and you'll see me hunch my shoulders, the hands go in the pocket and I shuffle around on my feet. Or scratch my arms. I get very, very awkward and shy, and the bottled up "stuff" manifests itself in weird physical quirks. I'm really not naturally good with people.
                        On the other hand, if something is happening, I really HAVE to be there. I'm so curious and I feel like I've missed out if I'm not present. I also have times when I need to be around people. Like tonight, for example. I just want to be in an environment where other people are around, so I'm hitting the pub with a good book. I'm also good at putting on the act. If you put me in a situation where there's lots of people I don't know, I'll put on a smile and mingle and make nice. In fact, you won't know until afterwards that I thoroughly resent you for doing it.
                        Awww...I totally hear you Tracy...I'm a bit of a swinger too...I'm neither intro or extrovert...I'm just a vert!!! I like to be with people, but I love my alone time too...I work better when I'm alone but when I'm with others...I can have an absolute blast...so does that make me Bi-vert??
                        Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                        That's why I like coming to GW and the Sanctuary forums so much and meeting up with you all at AT3, b/c I can just be myself and no one will judge me for it.
                        Julia(samcarterrules)
                        We two peas in a pod, you and me Julia!!!
                        So what we need for AT4 is one of those Tollan devices that shows blue or red, not to show you have a Goa'uld (although I wonder about TJ ), but to show blue when you want company and red when we should leave you alone.
                        Oh I love that idea...I need one for at home too...and work!!!
                        Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                        I have a saying that fits this thread of the conversation...
                        Solitude is a rare luxury.
                        It sums up my adult life. That first trip on the train was the first time I had totally to myself for as long as I can remember. It was bitter-sweet, but much needed me time.
                        Mumsey
                        Solitude is rare...and even more so when you have hubby and kids...I'm actually looking forward to working this weekend as hubby is off with junior for the boys weekend and Niki will be staying with my sister inlaw so I'll go to work but come home to peace and quiet and no hubby or kids to cook or clean for...just little old me...yay...roll on Saturday!! ...crickey...I just realized...two whole days by myself...heck...oh so tempted to have a one person party!!! ...but have to work so no party...I should have planned this better!!
                        Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                        Chelle, just do it, gal! Those chocolate penguins should be delivered in person next time!
                        Gabiteers, eat, drink, be merry, and dream big!
                        Ok!! Done! So shall I bring Tim Tams too??...and some Jaffa's??? Do you guys get Jaffa's where you are???
                        Spoiler:

Awww...Amanda was nervous??? Really?? Awww...that's kinda cute!
                        I was nervous at my first con when I met Rachel Luttrell, David Nykl and Tony Amendola...even though I had no idea who Rachel and David were back then...and when I say nervous, I mean really nervous that I thought I was gonna be sick but after that they've progressively gotten better...I shake the guests hands and they've all been absolutely delightful people to talk to...my all time favourites being Don S Davis and Carmen Argenziano...at the last con with Chris Judge, I was so cool about it that when he asked me to stand beside him to explain what the puff and ruffle was, I had no problems but I was just as happy to sit and explain once I had a microphone in my hand!!
                        Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                        Yeah I was surprised by how nervous Amanda really was, I think its really sweet that Amanda still reacts that way.
                        Julia(samcarterrules)
                        I'm surprised that she gets nervous...it's cute when you think about it...she's just so much like us it's not funny!
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

The rest of the day, the same people who have been listening come up to her and talk about their lives and she listens.

Give and take.

Awesome!
                          Amanda's attitude toward her fans is certainly refreshing. She doesn't see us as this monolithic group. She never loses sight of the fact that we're individuals. I'm impressed by how much she wants to know about us as individuals, and her interest made the rest of us interested. At no point did I groan when some fan was inserted into the conversation. So often at conventions fans have their "moment" at the expense of other fans. That just didn't happen, did it?
                          sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                          May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I also own 2 Sanctuary shirts with which I share with my daughter when we go to conventions...and I have several pins and badges that I wear.
                            I try really hard to not talk about it around my family as I quite often get grief for mentioning it...but try as I might...sometimes my excitement gets the better of me and out it pops...but...I tend to down play it more now...which kinda peeves me to no end as this is my hobby which makes me immensely happy so why should I hide it??? But some people just don't want to know...I just hate it when the bring up the subject and as soon as I say something, it's on for young and old! Its best to just not talk about it.
                            I think that's what makes a good relationship, be it between partners, family and friends, the willingness to be interested even if you aren't. Especially if they know you aren't going to go on and on about it.

My family do watch some sci fi but aren't into it like I am. When I'm back from the cons, they will ask me if I bought anything and when they come around I do show my mum my photo's and she's happy to look at them even though she isn't really that interested.

My sister has ponies and takes them to shows most weekends and I always ask her how she did because I know that no one else ever really asks her and she gets really excited about it all. Every now and then I'll go to a show with her, to show support and to help her get them ready, even though I'm not that bothered by it. By doing this I then felt comfortable asking her to come to a signing event with me when there where loads of guests I wanted to meet and was worried I wouldn't be able to get all the tickets on my own.

It's all about give and take......show some interest because it's something that excites your friend/relative/partner or you shouldn't expect them to to be involved in anything you like.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                              Amanda's attitude toward her fans is certainly refreshing. She doesn't see us as this monolithic group. She never loses sight of the fact that we're individuals. I'm impressed by how much she wants to know about us as individuals, and her interest made the rest of us interested. At no point did I groan when some fan was inserted into the conversation. So often at conventions fans have their "moment" at the expense of other fans. That just didn't happen, did it?
                              No.

She is totally down to earth. Some of the other main stars are aware that all these people are here to see them and they do seem to play on it a bit and come over as a bit 'hollywood'. But I've never felt that from Amanda which is lovely. Rick either for that matter.
                              sigpic

Comment

Gabiteers?? Cool...so does that mean that next year I get to be a Gabiteer too???

Never needed the convincing...well not me...hubby is a different kettle of fish all together...but still..I'll be there!!!
                                I'm a bit different from you and Sky in that I actually own a SG shirt...and would you believe it...hubby bought it for me!!
                                I do however have some of my pictures on display...have copped grief about that too but this is my house and I'll do what I please with my photos...tough titties for them!
                                [SPOILERS]

Ok!! Done! So shall I bring Tim Tams too??...and some Jaffa's??? Do you guys get Jaffa's where you are???
                                We get Jaffa cakes here in the uk and some stores so now stock Tim Tams. but my auzzie choccy of choice has to be chocolate covered macadeimia nuts... A friend once brought some to gatecon and they were delicious in the extreame. white or milk chocolate are my preference, as dark chocolate isn't my thing but they were scrummy... If a box of those hid out in your luggage, I am sure I could find them a decent home .

Hugs
                                becks

Comment

Working...
                                X