No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a great interview. Hehe, Julia's infamous! It was lovely to see it all in Julia's words... she's got such a way with them!
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
      LOL - no, the fish'n'chips you're likely to get from a local chippy will not have the head still attached. It will be breaded and deepfried within an inch of its life. And oh so very, very good - just make sure you either bring a buddy or one heck of an appetite!!!
      It better be well beyond that inch of life... Well, not *well* beyond. I don't want rotten fish either.

OT:
      Spoiler:
      My brother lived on an island in Alaska for two years. The Innuit people (forcibly moved by the Russians in the 1800s) have recipes that involve letting fish and seal rot in bags for a bit before cooking. Because they had to use the 'leftovers' of the, er... 'overseers' to get enough food to survive. The brother ate a piece because it's what you do to show respect for the culture - first impressions and all that. The elders told him he didn't need to eat another because they heard his stomach rebelling at the thought of another piece, they he was (somewhat) willing to be respectful.

Nothing really grows there and they were hard at work canning fish for export.

Unfortunately for them not much changed til WW2 when they found out the rest of the world didn't like how they did.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/shade...cans/aleut.htm

Here's where he was:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pribilof_Islands

many of their jokes start with "An Eskimo talks into a bar" and they all laugh. Because there is no such thing *as* an Eskimo.

Right, back to GABIT... if it's a Tesco's that you're on about (the shop at the petrol station), they have great pre-packaged sandwiches in a variety of flavours, as well as juice/soda/water and crisps/chocolate, etc. for a very reasonable price. I often stopped in there on the way to school to grab a packed lunch when I was lacking in the leftover department. They often have bulk deals going too, for the soda and crisps.

When it comes to prices, don't try to convert while you're over there - the sheer expense will drive you crazy. Simply pretend that the £ is actually a $, and your stress levels will decrease exponentially As for the taking out of money, on average stuff costs twice as much as it would at home (S. ON prices ... not sure how exactly that compares to the various states). You can survive fairly well on a fiver for lunch and then a 20 for a nice dinner ... so that's going to work out to approx. $50/day. Another thing to remember is that the tax is already in the price of things, so it may seem more expensive, but the price you see is the price you pay! *yay for no surprises at the checkout!*
      Good advice.

Yay! Assuming what I'm reading is right (updated 2004??) it looks like we can take vacuum sealed tuna - up to 1kg, just not the beef jerky. That'll help a bit.

It is nice that all taxes are included. Here in my city restaurant food had a 13% tax rate.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by t_2 View Post
        For all you AT3 goers, there's a really nice interview regarding Gabit up on a German website. Don't panic it's not in German and so doesn't need translating!

It gives a bit of history on the how and why Gabit was formed. So if you're interested follow this link!

http://synapse-design.de/amanda-tapp...view/gabit.php

Tracy
        Great interview!

Can I have your autograph, Julia?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
          Great interview!

*puffs chest out*

I already have it. Julia signed my book last year.

Or was it the restraining order?

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
            Great interview!

LOL! Get away with you!!!!

It was nice to be asked to do it and get a chance to explain why Gabit does Amanda's events.

It was also especially nice to be given the opportunity to say something about how important it is that we (the G4) are a family and a team, and can't work, one without the other.

I thought they'd lost it, I did it so long ago! LOL!

Still, it's timely with AT3 only next week! <eek did I say next week...>

Julia
            G4
            To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
              *puffs chest out*

I already have it. Julia signed my book last year.

Or was it the restraining order?

Ooh so that's what I signed....disguised as a greeting book.......it sure looked like an innocent book....proves I should take my glasses around with me wherever I go....trying to sign things when blind is not good.....

Julia
              G4
              To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

I wanted to bring it with me again this year, actually. But I have a funny feeling it's sat in my old bedroom in my parents house. Alternatively it could be in my flat in Southampton or even here in Amy's flat. I have no idea. I hate moving house!

Comment

That was a very nice interview Julia. I enjoyed reading about the G4 and Gabit. And YAY, next week
                  sigpic

Comment

Last year it was just credit cards (Same with Legends). I'll be interested to know if the policy has changed.

Yes, I'm working on it, Julia. I've even found a native German speaker to proof read when I'm done.
                    Don't thank me yet. You don't know what I've written!

"We'd like to remind attendees that they may shower Amanda with gifts, take as much video footage as they wish and, most importantly, they must wear morris dancing outfits and pull faces at Julia at all times."

The last bit was incredibly difficult to translate, given the cultural implications.

Julia, let me know if you need someone to proofread Tracy's "translation." I don't even know what morris dancing outfits are.

Speaking of German...I really want to get my hands on some CDs of German Broadway-type show music while I'm in Europe. I know most Londoners don't generally speak German as a rule, but I also know that it's a less freaky interest there than in the states. (Because it's not enough for me to be a science fiction geek alone; I have to be a language geek too. )

Any suggestions of where I could go to acquire these less-than-typical souvenirs? Preferably without selling an arm and a leg.
                    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Thought I would chime in on the food issue. I too will be bringing a 'sack lunch' supplies mainly because I can't have gluten containing food; no sandwiches. I even had to give up beer and I worked for a beer company!

Usually when I travel I eat a lot of salads, yogurt and cheese. Tell me there is somewhere that those types of supplies are to be had. Any Tesco or Sainburys within a bus, taxi or train ride?

Hard to believe that it is GABIT is nearly upon us. See you all soon

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        Does it have the head; tail and skin still on it?

I've hears rumors of fish-heads. I can't look at it and eat it.

lol It taked everything I have to eat crab legs, and I love 'em. I'm not fond enough of the taste of fish to ignore dinner looking at me.

suse
                        I also refuse to eat anything I can recognize.

I had fish n chips twice on our last trip and it was safe to eat both times. And very yummy.
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
                          Buffalo, that's the best. My folks have a guy at work that goes to Colorado or Kansas hunting every 6 months or so and brings back the meat sells it. Great steaks and ground meat. Yum. From the West Coast though so I do love fish and seafood! Dunganess crab, the best! I'm hoping to try some fish and chips but I'd rather not have the head still attached either.
                          mmmmm. buffalo.

And it's actually better for you than fish.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

the cod that i had was actually not fishy tasting
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                              Any suggestions of where I could go to acquire these less-than-typical souvenirs? Preferably without selling an arm and a leg.
                              I know the exchange rate is bad, but I think all attendees should aim to leave with the same number of limbs they arrived with
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                                I know the exchange rate is bad, but I think all attendees should aim to leave with the same number of limbs they arrived with
                                well i am more afraid of my kidneys

Comment

Working...
                                X