Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    Aha! I think I found my red!

I plan on many, many layers like my normal winter attire. Long sleeves with short sleeve t-shirts overall, a few hoodies and of course my rain jacket. I do hope I dont have reason to use it though. My first visit to England and to have it rain would be kinda of a drag. Ah well.

Ooh and does anyone know where's the closet place to buy little souvenirs near the hotel? With my friends finding out about this trip, I'm beginning to get quite the list of trinkets to take home for them.
    I know what you mean... and one wants something to 'remember the trip' - as in *not* food - so I'll need to find something 'Englandy' but not to expensive, as well as a grab bag of stuff/junk. My problem is I hate the whole tourist schtick with tacky gifts - I can't stand dust-collectors.

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
      Are you staying Sunday night? I think we all have the con rate for that also. If not and you or Vikitty have AAA be sure you use it for a cheaper(ish) rate. (As Sky noted in the last page). No breakfast with the AAA rate though.

I have a movable clothesline i'm bringing to cut down on what i pack. Still if you are moving a lot or sharing a room with more than a roomie that might cause issues.

suse
      I don't have AAA and no clue if ViKitty has CAA or not...

I just got the con rate for the 2 nights, but Sunday was actually less, but without the breakfast.

We actually didn't get too bad of a rate for the 4 nights we are staying there. I think it came out to be about 420 GBP (it was 115 GBP for thursday and 72 GBP for Sunday night)

Comment

I know what you mean... and one wants something to 'remember the trip' - as in *not* food - so I'll need to find something 'Englandy' but not to expensive, as well as a grab bag of stuff/junk. My problem is I hate the whole tourist schtick with tacky gifts - I can't stand dust-collectors.

suse
        Well, there are the usual shops in the airport, and the hotel has a little shop too - but I dare say the stuff in there will be a bit pricey.

Kay
        Taking a little time off E-ticketing
        For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
          *Squishes SS back*
          C'est la vie .
          Just make sure you have a wonderful time.
          ( Which should be very easy with all those edibles and fun & frolics ahead ,lol ! )

*Sends red-clad vr dust bunny for luck*
          (((Baggie)))) I proudly wear the pink rhinestone teddy bear pin you gave me to each con I go to, on my lanyard, and will be bringing it back to AT3. So you will *definitely* be there in spirit, my friend.
          Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
          Wait, three breakfasts are included? I thought it was only Saturday and Sunday? I only got the con rate for Friday night and Saturday night.
          Are you staying Sunday night? I think we all have the con rate for that also. If not and you or Vikitty have AAA be sure you use it for a cheaper(ish) rate. (As Sky noted in the last page). No breakfast with the AAA rate though.
          I know I found out after the fact last time that I could've eaten breakfast at the buffet that Friday, but I didn't know and went and ate cereal!

But that's why I asked the question again, even though I know it was answered somewhere here in the thread sometime ago. Breakfast Monday morn is definitely not included in the con rate. (Know that one from experience!)
          Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
          Yes the weather is similar to Vancouver in my experience but at the moment it is very variable. We had a lot of snow just over a week ago (!) yet today it was warm and sunny and quite balmy after having scraped frost off my car first thing.

Early May - Expect it to be in the early 50s temperature wise and expect rain, because undoubtedly there will be some. Ireland is pretty similar and equally as wet. So rain jacket, a couple of warm sweaters if you are outside when you're in Ireland and t-shirts or tops for when it warms up. It is warm in the hotel and they do have the air conditioning on in the main hall.
          Hope this helps,

Julia
          G4
          LOL! While I ate my lunch at work today I surfed weather.com to see what the weather was like (and check the 10-day forecast and the monthly forecast). A tad warmer than November when AT2 was held, but comparable to the weather we're having here. (We had our frost this a.m. too! )
          Ooh and does anyone know where's the closet place to buy little souvenirs near the hotel? With my friends finding out about this trip, I'm beginning to get quite the list of trinkets to take home for them.
          Can't help you there. Bought a good many of my trinkets in central London. Some at the trinkets shop, but then it was possible to buy some really great (small, local-made, and relatively inexpensive goodies) at some of the attractions like the Tower of London, Kensington Palace, and the shop in the Queen's Gallery attached to Buckingham Palace.

And....seat number B7 here.....

(Feel like we should be calling a BINGO game or something!)
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Guess the other question I forgot to ask was what kind of trinkets are they wanting? T-shirts, keyrings and other assorted sundries that were made in China and not the UK? Or soaps, candies, etc. that were?
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

we did london and wells in november with a combo of layers and longies.

long underwear, jeans/sweats, long sleeved thermal top, light fleece top, waterproof wind breaker

no bulky coat but plenty of warmth

if you're sightseeing, remember that it gets a mite toasty in the tubes.

plan a coordinated layers type of wardrobe....shirts that go with each other so they can be swapped, etc.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

We had a lot of snow just over a week ago (!)
                Wimp.
                Hahaha.
                Define "a lot"..........................

<gasp>
                -geek-

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

lol

doubt it beats the 14 inches we had in november, but i'm sure it was impressive for the UK

sigpic

Comment

Darn skippy!
                    Actually Ms. Julia was here in the lovely T Dot in February for the some of the most snow we've had since, well, the 1940's........... poor dear. I think she's still in therapy. lol I won't tell them about the high heels though... oops... sorry!!! :eek *ducking*
                    -geek-
                    (actually, she did bring realllly nice, sensible winter boots too, i remember them well, not only were they a fashion fav at the auditions, one of my sweet, adorable pug babies expressed his approval by peeing on them.............)

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

lolol

I take our weather for granted. theoretically in a year we can go from -20 - 110

and, weather wise, go from drought to feet of snow to inches of ice/sleet to inches of rain

about the only weather phenomenon we don't experience are hurricanes. we're just too far inland for them to survive.

as to doggies....well the shirt i'm sleeping in right now is missing part of a sleeve because my chihauhaha liked to chomp on my stuff

sigpic

Comment

Yes the weather is similar to Vancouver in my experience but at the moment it is very variable. We had a lot of snow just over a week ago (!) yet today it was warm and sunny and quite balmy after having scraped frost off my car first thing.

Early May - Expect it to be in the early 50s temperature wise and expect rain, because undoubtedly there will be some. Ireland is pretty similar and equally as wet. So rain jacket, a couple of warm sweaters if you are outside when you're in Ireland and t-shirts or tops for when it warms up. It is warm in the hotel and they do have the air conditioning on in the main hall.
                        Hope this helps,

Julia
                        G4
                        Aha! I think I found my red!

I plan on many, many layers like my normal winter attire. Long sleeves with short sleeve t-shirts overall, a few hoodies and of course my rain jacket. I do hope I dont have reason to use it though. My first visit to England and to have it rain would be kinda of a drag. Ah well.

Oy thanks for the report! It's been kinda weird here too... my aunt was over here recently and she said she experienced all four seasons of Vancouver weather in just two weeks: snow, rain, hail, wind, sun!

I just didn't want to bring my ski jacket if I didn't have to...

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
                        I don't have AAA and no clue if ViKitty has CAA or not...

I just got the con rate for the 2 nights, but Sunday was actually less, but without the breakfast.

We actually didn't get too bad of a rate for the 4 nights we are staying there. I think it came out to be about 420 GBP (it was 115 GBP for thursday and 72 GBP for Sunday night)
                        I don't have CAA.

San Diego Comic Con 2007 Attendee
                        San Diego Comic Con 2008 Attendee

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                          And....seat number B7 here.....

(Feel like we should be calling a BINGO game or something!)
                          haha...I'm getting itchy fingers to pull up the old list of those attending that we made a few pages back and start plugging in everyone's seat numbers now.

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                          Guess the other question I forgot to ask was what kind of trinkets are they wanting? T-shirts, keyrings and other assorted sundries that were made in China and not the UK? Or soaps, candies, etc. that were?
                          Well one friend is looking for a very "British" shot glass, another wants a gold charm of Big Ben or another famous London landmark and another wants me to just pick up something that looks different/interesting for her. Last one I think might just be the easiest..lol.

Comment

haha...I'm getting itchy fingers to pull up the old list of those attending that we made a few pages back and start plugging in everyone's seat numbers now.
                            I dare you to do that!!! Honestly that would be hilarious, must say I thought about it too and when we have a full row someone could at least shout Bingo

btw I love Bingo, I used to play it at Uni with a few of our friends, it was a monthly game we actually played, I know crazy for 20 year olds eh

Comment

Well one friend is looking for a very "British" shot glass, another wants a gold charm of Big Ben or another famous London landmark and another wants me to just pick up something that looks different/interesting for her. Last one I think might just be the easiest..lol.
                              I actually had quite a bit of luck with the duty-free shop at Heathrow, when I came home this last time. There's all sorts of different kinds of stuff with the map of the London Tube system on it, little statues and models, tees, keyrings, and I think there were shot glasses too, if I remember correctly.

I'm in D10, if we're still keeping track

Oh, and I definitely second the 'wearing of layers' advice that's been floating around. The weather can change relatively quickly (both wet/dry and temp-wise) so it's good to be prepared, especially if you're planning on heading out in the early morning and not returning 'til evening. Whatever you do, don't forget extra batteries for the camera - I at least always seem to run dry while being nowhere near a shop with decent prices for a couple of AAs
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                                I dare you to do that!!! Honestly that would be hilarious, must say I thought about it too and when we have a full row someone could at least shout Bingo

btw I love Bingo, I used to play it at Uni with a few of our friends, it was a monthly game we actually played, I know crazy for 20 year olds eh
                                Double dare!!!!

San Diego Comic Con 2007 Attendee
                                San Diego Comic Con 2008 Attendee

Comment

Working...
                                X