No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's okay, I'm only teasing. I don't know for CERTAIN that it's in that area... I just, you know, figured that as it's a walking tour and the Ten Bells is a stop on the tour, that it would be in the area. Could always be wrong though.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

77 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        LOL! I thought I would get tips on convention ettiquette (my first time), camera use, etc but instead I get tips on peanut butter! I like the way you people think!
        Welcome to the fold *grin*
        As for this being your first con, from all accounts, GABIT isn't like other cons ... so I can't help you out there yet. I keep being told not to worry, b/c it's all good ... then again, I've got ppl to keep me in line
        *note to self: ensure secret sugar stash is avail at all times...*

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        And of course being Canadian we know, Kraft is the best
        Yay for Kraft PB!!! *does lil happy dance*
        Although I am definitely looking forward to trying out the other 'local' favs too (that ppl are bringing with them) ... but no eating PB near the SG1 Monopoly games, or I may have to break fingers!!! (Really, I'm not a violent person. Much. )
        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
        ames on facebook
        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

God bless Amanda.

Comment

OK, this might be a strange question.

I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to haul all my crap to London. Right now I have one medium-ish size rolling suite case (it's expandable) and one that is at the top limit of the 'carry on size' (i.e. I have to take things out of the front pocket in order to shove it in the overhead bin). I was planning on brining these two along, checking the large one and carrying on the smaller one with my Camera backpack (as my personal item).

The thing is, I thought it could be a pain lugging around 2 rolling suite cases. I have done it before, walking to the metro station here (1.3 miles or 2 km) and taking the subway. Would a larger rolling suite case be better? With a duffel or shoulder bag for the carry on? Of course this would mean that I would have to buy a new suite case.

Any suggestions?

*edit* and in case it matters, I'll be staying at the Ren for the first 4 nights, then moving to a hostel somewhere in London (possibly Victoria area) for 3 nights and then flying to Dublin where I'll be staying in a hostel for 3 nights. We are then renting a car to drive across the country and see the sites (most likely staying at B&B's along the way) for 5 days.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
              OK, this might be a strange question.

I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to haul all my crap to London. Right now I have one medium-ish size rolling suite case (it's expandable) and one that is at the top limit of the 'carry on size' (i.e. I have to take things out of the front pocket in order to shove it in the overhead bin). I was planning on brining these two along, checking the large one and carrying on the smaller one with my Camera backpack (as my personal item).

The thing is, I thought it could be a pain lugging around 2 rolling suite cases. I have done it before, walking to the metro station here (1.3 miles or 2 km) and taking the subway. Would a larger rolling suite case be better? With a duffel or shoulder bag for the carry on? Of course this would mean that I would have to buy a new suite case.

Any suggestions?

*edit* and in case it matters, I'll be staying at the Ren for the first 4 nights, then moving to a hostel somewhere in London (possibly Victoria area) for 3 nights and then flying to Dublin where I'll be staying in a hostel for 3 nights. We are then renting a car to drive across the country and see the sites (most likely staying at B&B's along the way) for 5 days.
              First advice check your airlines rules very carefully. Here in the Uk leaving for canada it's pretty standard for the limits to be 2 bags each not more than 23kg, but they absolutly won't take anything over 32kg. It's a health and saftey thing. over 32kg, you split it or they send you to the freight section!!!

A very large single suitcase can weigh 7 kg in and of itself ( mine does!) Check if you camera back pack would be okay with another bag as carry on. I think when you get here they may not let you go through security with effectively two carry ons. the personal item is mean't to be a small ( very small) handbag or purse with basically enough room for your wallet documents , phone, keys and a pack of tissues! They are getting very funny about stuff and when you actually go through you may have to put one bag inside the other.

Think about what you NEED to bring with you. If you are staying in hostels do they have a laundry? you can save yourself quite a lot of space by bringing fewer clothes.

Also pick clothes that wash and dry easily. I have some jeans I love but they can't be tumble dried and take a long time to drip dry so they are difficult. My sanctuary hoodie however washes and dries lovely.... I have some nice tops which can't be tumbled but don't need it cos they dry quickly over the back of a chair. you can cut your packing items dramatically just by planning ahead. Think about what you will be doing... do you need your trainers and a nice pair of shoes and the walking boots, and the heels and the pumps or can you get away with just the smart pumps and the trainers.

Does that nce top only go with a particular pair of pants, or are there a couple of tops which go with them? Do you need a formal jacket and two different cardigans, or will one go with a couple of different combos of your wardrobe?

I now take less than half what used to on my skiing trips because I know theres a laundry and what I am actually likely to wear and don't. I also stopped taking so many tshirts to conventions because I knew I would end up with buying some once I got there.

I have int he past traveled a lot for work so I got used to packing light. Occasionally you get caught out, but you can in an emergency buy a few bits when you are away... which you probably would anyway.
              So think about what you NEED and then figure out how much space and wieght it takes a go from there.
              Becks

Comment

I am actually a light packer. It's just that with a 2 1/2 week trip and gifts (on the way there) and souvenirs (on the way back), I do need a bit of space.

I used my 2 suite cases on an 11 day trip just fine (and this was with Christmas gifts, my Wii and Wii guitar taking up most of the room in my carry on).

The camera bag is small (only about 23 W x 16 D x 33 H cm) and there is no way I am going to check that (or my laptop bag, which fits nicely in the smaller roller). I might be able to fit the camera bag into the smaller roller, but it wouldn't leave much room for the gifts and souvenirs (which I would also rather not check either).

If I hadn't been burned by lost checked luggage, maybe I wouldn't have so much that I need in my carry on.

Comment

Hey Becky,
                  On that note, any idea what the average temperatures are like for end of April-Early May? Just trying to get an idea if I will need to wear layers if the weather is similar to here in the Pacific Northwest.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                    Hey Becky,
                    On that note, any idea what the average temperatures are like for end of April-Early May? Just trying to get an idea if I will need to wear layers if the weather is similar to here in the Pacific Northwest.
                    Average is a little difficult.... I mean it february but the last few dasy have been april like. And April could tunr into february or July...

Layers definately the order of bsiness as you can always take some off. A light shower proof jacket (pack-a-mac) if you don't want to pack a proper coat is always useful and can be a wind prrof layer even if it's not raining.

Once you are at the hotel everything is inside, so you only need ventrue out for nicotine addiction or if you want to make a run to Miccy Ds across the road and down a bit.

Just to remind our overseas visitors, the UK now has a national law banning smoking in all public & work places so the entire hotel lobby/ restraunt and bar is now Non Smoking. All the pubs and other resteraunts are too.

Becks

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      Kraft has a peanut butter???

suse
                      Will have to bring a jar of my favorite brand --- JIF.

With all these peanut butters making their way to the Ren it sounds like we're going to have to have a peanut butter taste-off....
                      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                        Will have to bring a jar of my favorite brand --- JIF.

With all these peanut butters making their way to the Ren it sounds like we're going to have to have a peanut butter taste-off....
                        I've been calling it a 'Peanut Butter Thrown Down'

I'll be bringing creamy Skippy.

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                          Hey Becky,
                          Sites I bookmarked and used last time:

http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX0085
                          http://uk.weather.com/weather/climat...?dayofyear=116
                          http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...ortprofile/LHR
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0008

LOL! Best bet is to plan for 50's (F) it seems. And look at the sunrise/set times - 5:30 a.m. sunrise, 8:30 p.m. sunset. Much better than in November at the last con!

My question would be the rain factor in comparison to November. It says much less, but is it much drier? (The heavy rain in Vancouver last March killed my little travel umbrella!)
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

Hmmm... we'll need some things for dipping.... crackers, veggies...... mustn't forget liquid things to wash the palate off between tastes....

Comment

mmmn while its highly possible my brother might want to join in this, I must ask you to keep it well away from me.

otherwise it could mean a reversal of direction... if you catch my drift.

Peanuts are not my friends.
                              Becks

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                                For AT2 I flew in on Friday and left on Monday. This time I will be flying in on Wednesday afternoon late and leaving on Monday morning. Working with roomie on how much of London can we take in Wednesday after I arrive and Thursday. I will get off the plane ready to go. I want to get to Ronnie Scott's either Wednesday or Thursday evening.
                                *makes note to take a power nap before tsax arrives*

And hopefully we can get some early sightseeing in Friday morning too and get back out before the cocktail party. *blinks* What... too much? But we'll be sitting the rest of the weekend!

Becks, Julia, Mumsey.... any idea of what time the cocktail party'll start this year? (I kinda think you may have told us already when you announced the evening it would be held on, but could you remind us again?)

Comment

Working...
                                X