GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    I would just like to state for the record that I don't do diapers!
    ...I don't mind diaper/nappy duty...it's the baby puke I don't like...unless there's a catch cloth available! And crying babies...it breaks my heart. Other than that, it's a piece of cake!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      I would just like to state for the record that I don't do diapers!
      And for good reason. If it's a boy, watch out! They have a very evil way of picking the wrong times to pee.

Comment

This thread is so educational ... *takes notes*

I'm mentioning AT5 to hubby now and then, to see if I can get him to come along to watch the baby. I'm really not sure if I can bring the baby into the Q&A's, would hate it if he/she made a fuss! But, that's all a looong time away lol.
        sigpic

Comment

There was a baby in the AT4 Q&A's - it was the same one that was still 'baking' at AT3. I think they just had seats on the edge near the door so that they could duck out if she got fussy, which she never did. It chimed in a couple times, but I don't remember hearing it fuss (unless the parents were really on top of it and got out of the room quick).

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
            This thread is so educational ... *takes notes*
            The best notes come from experience and I'm 100% positive your maternal instincts will kick in (if they havent already) and you'll know exactly what to do. What you don't, well, you'll figure it out as you go. Babies are very forgiving of our mistakes.

Comment

generally, when theyre' little, keep em warm, fed and dry...the rest works itself out.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                generally, when theyre' little, keep em warm, fed and dry...the rest works itself out.
                Don't forget love - almost as important for survival as the rest. Lots of hugs and physical contact.

Mumsey
                (aka Hug Magnet )
                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

yep, hug it, cuddle it, care for it, talk to it

I'm convinced talking is why my niece, at 3, knows as many words as she knows and can talk in complete sentences 'hey guys, no guys, come here' 'gran, i want to talk to aunt d for two minutes'

because we all talked to her and interacted with her...even rides in the car was 'waht sign is that?' 'what color is that?' 'can you see the fire hydrants' etc

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                    Don't forget love - almost as important for survival as the rest. Lots of hugs and physical contact.
                    Mumsey
                    (aka Hug Magnet )
                    I'm convinced talking is why my niece, at 3, knows as many words as she knows and can talk in complete sentences 'hey guys, no guys, come here' 'gran, i want to talk to aunt d for two minutes'
                    because we all talked to her and interacted with her...even rides in the car was 'waht sign is that?' 'what color is that?' 'can you see the fire hydrants' etc
                    *nods*
                    Gut intsinct...this might sound contradictory, but don't let others tell you what you should or shouldn't do if it doesnt sit well with you. I was told to stop picking Niki up and to let her cry coz "it's good for her lungs" Of course that just made me a total wreck and I ended up at the doctors who said that if I wanted to hold her and not let her cry then that's what I should do...and if her lungs weren't developed we would know. So I quickly learned to trust my own instincts and did what I wanted.
                    I have to reiterate something Sky said....talk to your baby...but use real words. I have a cousin who literally would do baby babble talk to her kids and they are way behind with their speech development. Niki was speaking 3 languages at the age of two...actually technically it was 4...we never spoke baby talk to her and we read books to her every night. Tom of course was a different kettle of fish...he was deaf til he was 18 months old so the talking/reading thing was quite trying at first.
                    But Lies...you and the hubby are gonna be awesome parents...just always keep faith in what you're doing...you'll be great.
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Yep, speak to them in plain English. My youngest nephew didn't start talking until after he was 1, but when he did, he started with complete sentences. By the time he was two, he could name all the Red Wings.
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                      William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                      Anon

Comment

Real words and lots of them are the key with speech development. Babies are born able to recognise and with the potential to make every speech sound, but they have to hear them and see the sound being made to learn them. There's a big language 'cut' made around five, another cut around eight and another around twelve. So speech and lots of it is good at developing speech. Baby talk has it's place in that it is the exaggeration of speech shapes and sounds which can help in a stepping stone way within speech development, but real words are important too.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                          Real words and lots of them are the key with speech development. Babies are born able to recognise and with the potential to make every speech sound, but they have to hear them and see the sound being made to learn them. There's a big language 'cut' made around five, another cut around eight and another around twelve. So speech and lots of it is good at developing speech. Baby talk has it's place in that it is the exaggeration of speech shapes and sounds which can help in a stepping stone way within speech development, but real words are important too.
                          That's why my niece is lagging behind. She's blind, so she can't see how we make the sounds. But she's getting there.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

One of the worst detriments to speech is parents who use the pacifier (binky) from an early age to 'quiet' or 'pacify' their children. They unfortunately get used to it, almost addicted to the rubber plugs and refuse to give them up. I've known kids who sucked on the things all the way up to 5 yrs of age and these children spoke little, and when they did, it was one or two words at a time combined with quite a bit of pointing/gestures to indicate their wants.

Used sparingly, in only in the first few months, I don't find a problem with pacifiers. It's the parents who abuse it's use in their children's first few years who unknowingly are harming them and their natural aptitude to learn speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                              One of the worst detriments to speech is parents who use the pacifier (binky) from an early age to 'quiet' or 'pacify' their children. They unfortunately get used to it, almost addicted to the rubber plugs and refuse to give them up. I've known kids who sucked on the things all the way up to 5 yrs of age and these children spoke little, and when they did, it was one or two words at a time combined with quite a bit of pointing/gestures to indicate their wants.

Used sparingly, in only in the first few months, I don't find a problem with pacifiers. It's the parents who abuse it's use in their children's first few years who unknowingly are harming them and their natural aptitude to learn speech.
                              (Jumps onto soap-box)
                              Spoiler:
                              We call them 'dummies'. I get incensed when I see babies with plugs in their mouths. These days they cover most of the bottom of their dear little faces. So ugly!!

My two never saw one of those, and they both did fine without. I was a stay at home Mum, and when they wanted attention, they got it. As most of you know them both, I hope you'll agree they turned out just fine!

(Puts soap-box away again.)

Mumsey
                              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

My neice had one, for a while, while she was still nursing. But she hasn't used one in years. She does suck on her sippy cup at times, but she is going through a rather insecure phase at the moment. (just started pre-school)

they serve their place and were originally meant to be a 'no, you can't have your bottle yet' or 'i don't have a bottle ready yet' substitute, not a means for peace and quiet for years

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X