No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard of Brasilnut Butter. Has anyone ever tried that? It sounds interesting. I think in the UK you can get it from Whole Foods which is a US grocery shop.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
      Weighing in on the peanut butter and chocolate debates...

Every morning, my breakfast is peanut and jelly on a whole wheat mini bagel (which was the regular size a decade ago). The peanut butter is Smuckers Naturals, creamy. The ingredient list is peanuts and salt. The jelly is All-Fruit. This stuff is coming with me to London. I'm not sharing with Mandy because she's so mean to JanSam.

And chocolate? Lindt all the way (although I'm also partial to Ritter). I think it's better than Godiva. It's not coming with me to London. Unlike the peanut butter, it's not vital.
      but...but...JanSam likes it when I'm mean to her
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
        Mumsey, how could you!!! I feel for no1 son even though Skippy is not my fav.
        I know! I know! If you knew the full extent of the circumstances that led us to take that pot of Skippy to her house, you'd feel some sympathy for me.

To cut a very long story short, my oven expired and I had to take the leg of Lamb I had defrosted to my sister's to cook and share. Imposing on her at short notice, I had to take sandwich fillings with for our tea (hence the Skippy travelling to Kent). I just forgot it when we came home.

I am still without an oven... It's a very long and sad story involving unqualified electricians and a cowboy kitchen fitter 17 years ago, and finding somebody qualified to put it right and able to do so before Christmas. I have a large turkey sitting in the freezer and an expectant family due to share it!

It is a very serious subject for us connoseurs; my mom is allergic to PB, but she lets me keep a jar in the back of her fridge in case I need a fix while I am at her house.
        Yay for your Mom! See the sacrifices we make for our babies?

Mumsey
        (Crossing fingers for a working oven on Sunday.)
        For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
          I know! I know! If you knew the full extent of the circumstances that led us to take that pot of Skippy to her house, you'd feel some sympathy for me.

To cut a very long story short, my oven expired and I had to take the leg of Lamb I had defrosted to my sister's to cook and share. Imposing on her at short notice, I had to take sandwich fillings with for our tea (hence the Skippy travelling to Kent). I just forgot it when we came home.

I am still without an oven... It's a very long and sad story involving unqualified electricians and a cowboy kitchen fitter 17 years ago, and finding somebody qualified to put it right and able to do so before Christmas. I have a large turkey sitting in the freezer and an expectant family due to share it!

Yay for your Mom! See the sacrifices we make for our babies?

Mumsey
          (Crossing fingers for a working oven on Sunday.)
          After hearing the whole story, I do have sympathy for you and you are excused for the Skippy escaping the kitchen. Just out of curiousity, does No1 son like creamy or crunchy?

Fingers and toes crossed for you having an oven by Sunday.
          sigpic

Comment

After hearing the whole story, I do have sympathy for you and you are excused for the Skippy escaping the kitchen. Just out of curiousity, does No1 son like creamy or crunchy?

Fingers and toes crossed for you having an oven by Sunday.
            Definately a creamy man. (That'd be the next bad mistake I could make - buying the wrong kind. Fortunately they have different coloured lids!)

Mumsey
            (also with everything crossed for Sunday.)
            For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Definately a creamy man. (That'd be the next bad mistake I could make - buying the wrong kind. Fortunately they have different coloured lids!)

Mumsey
              Ah, a man after my own heart.

I have had the cats cross their tails and whiskers too for some extra crossiness.
              sigpic

Comment

Skippy creamy > *

That's the stuff I grew up on.

My nick name as a kid was skippy for a while.

Comment

we grew up on crunchy peanut butter
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If I manage to pull off the trip (keep your fingers crossed), I could bring JIF Extra Crunchy. (my fave) I think the only national brand we wouldn't have would be Peter Pan.

Don't know about the EU/UK choc with PB. I love Reese cups just the way they are. Though the white chocolate ones are awesome, so I'd be willing to give the EU/UK choc a try. Can't go wrong with choc and PB. It's also my fave ice cream.

In many ways EU/UK choc is better than US. Course I've eaten US choc all my life, so I love it anyway.

Now, on a related note: M&M's beat Smarties (though smarties are similar to the dark choc M's)
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

140 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                        Mimi... I didn't realise you liked chunky. They had chunky in my little supply store.
                        I like them both, so long as they're Kraft! Mmmmmmmm .... Kraft PB........

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        *Thinks about what to say to customs when they find a suitcase full of PB and Blue Jello*
                        Not a prob, trust me. My family and friends (and I) have been transporting Cdn PB, maple syrup and Timmie's (and blue jello!!!) over here, and chocolate over there for over two years now without any probs. I got raised eyebrows by one customs lady about the chocolate -- I looked at her and asked if she'd ever tried UK milk chocolate. She thought about it for a sec and then quickly conceded my need to bring the food stuffs into the country

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
                        Plans are hatching. There will be a peanut butter show down.

I was wondering the same thing. I wasn't sure how big of a jar to bring, then I figured a giant one would look strange going through customs.
                        Not really, it won't. If asked, just explain that you're bringing *real* PB on a mercy mission to friends in the UK. Most customs ppl have a sense of humour abou this

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
                        I'm not a fan of PB (in sandwiches) myself but perversly make some wicked PB cookies that are absolutely delicious.
                        Ooh -- pb cookies ... esp at Xmastime.......... mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Originally posted by Feli View Post
                        Wow! That's quite an impressive dissertation - and I didn't even set any requirements...

Agree with you on everything. Milka is the best German chocolate, on par with the Swiss Lindt etc. And then of course there's Belgian chocolate, clearly in a league of its own. Other countries, IMHO, don't have anything to offer with regards to chocolate.
                        I'll have you know that it's all about where you go in said country!!!
                        We have a local family-owned 'candy & nut' shop in my hometown that could give Thornton's a run for their money ... possibly even Hotel Chocolat -- and my hometown isn't *that* big. I'm sure there are places in the larger cities which have some pretty amazing stuff, if you know where to look!

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        but...but...JanSam likes it when I'm mean to her
                        *snort* TMI, Mandy!!!

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                        If I manage to pull off the trip (keep your fingers crossed), I could bring JIF Extra Crunchy. (my fave) I think the only national brand we wouldn't have would be Peter Pan.

Don't know about the EU/UK choc with PB. I love Reese cups just the way they are. Though the white chocolate ones are awesome, so I'd be willing to give the EU/UK choc a try. Can't go wrong with choc and PB. It's also my fave ice cream.

In many ways EU/UK choc is better than US. Course I've eaten US choc all my life, so I love it anyway.

Now, on a related note: M&M's beat Smarties (though smarties are similar to the dark choc M's)
                        Oh I am definitely an M&M girl - esp the peanut ones!
                        Although I have to warn -- Cdn Smarties taste completely different to the UK Smarties, and US Smarties are what we call rockets in Canada, so are completely different again!

And now I'm munchy again ... sigh ... *wanders off in search of chocolate .... or PB!
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

OK, so Vikitty and I have begun hammering out our travel plans. It looks like a week in London for us followed by a week in Ireland (Dublin, Galway and Co Clare).

We are wondering what is a good clean and inexpensive place to stay in London on the non-con nights... I know there are some that have mentioned only staying at the con hotel for a couple nights and then moving to a chaper place. Where are you all staying?

Comment

139 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Woohoo!
                              sigpic

Comment

Mumsey
                                Yeah like that's gonna help... i seem to remeber an incident with a can of rice pudding... or wasn't it supposed to be custard???

Becks

Comment

Working...
                                X