GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sofie View Post
    If you're coming with the eurostar, you just have to make sure you have a good tube map cause you have to change tubes a few times
    Oh yeah I am so going to get lost in London for sure Cause no way I am going with plane...not ready for that yet So I will be coming with the eurostar so I will need to take the tube...and lets face if there will be a lot of changes going on. I will for sure be lost lol...

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any airlines that offer cheap flights from Scotland to London Heathrow? Last year I came by train but that was very expensive and not easy with my wheelchair.

A question for any of the G4:
      I was also thinking of going to the cocktail party but just myself and leave my carers to do their own thing that evening, but I wasn't sure if that would be OK with the G4? I'm able to eat and drink myself and am used to going places on my own(I know this sounds a strange thing to ask, but sometimes events have rules about people with disabilities attending alone so I thought should ask, this would be the only time over the weekend that I'd be without my carers)

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
        Oh yeah I am so going to get lost in London for sure Cause no way I am going with plane...not ready for that yet So I will be coming with the eurostar so I will need to take the tube...and lets face if there will be a lot of changes going on. I will for sure be lost lol...
        Believe me, if I could find my way, anyone can lol I'm sure you'll find your way

Comment

Originally posted by sofie View Post
          Believe me, if I could find my way, anyone can lol I'm sure you'll find your way
          you so don't know me I still get lost in my own city... And remind you that the city I live in is smaller then London

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
            Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any airlines that offer cheap flights from Scotland to London Heathrow? Last year I came by train but that was very expensive and not easy with my wheelchair.

A question for any of the G4:
            I was also thinking of going to the cocktail party but just myself and leave my carers to do their own thing that evening, but I wasn't sure if that would be OK with the G4? I'm able to eat and drink myself and am used to going places on my own(I know this sounds a strange thing to ask, but sometimes events have rules about people with disabilities attending alone so I thought should ask, this would be the only time over the weekend that I'd be without my carers)

Julia(samcarterrules)
            what if they arranged it so that you could sit at the same table as any other samandans that get cocktail tickets. that way, if you needed something, we could give you a hand
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              what if they arranged it so that you could sit at the same table as any other samandans that get cocktail tickets. that way, if you needed something, we could give you a hand
              Sky,

If something like that could be arranged I would be extremely grateful I wouldn't want to be a pain to anyone or get any special treatment but if there were a few Samanda's willing to look out for me and stop me from spilling my drink when we see Amanda LOL, this would be a great help and would mean a great deal to me

Julia(samcarterrules)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                Sky,

If something like that could be arranged I would be extremely grateful I wouldn't want to be a pain to anyone or get any special treatment but if there were a few Samanda's willing to look out for me and stop me from spilling my drink when we see Amanda LOL, this would be a great help and would mean a great deal to me

Julia(samcarterrules)
                Hey you can always sit next to me I wouldn't mind that. I would even think it would be great sitting next to you I think this can be arranged... so you can have the time with just other Amanda fans...on your own. Without your carers

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                  Hey you can always sit next to me I wouldn't mind that. I would even think it would be great sitting next to you I think this can be arranged... so you can have the time with just other Amanda fans...on your own. Without your carers
                  Eve,

Thank You! I would really enjoy that a lot too, and you're so right, my carers are great, but time with just my fellow Amanda fans without needing to always explain to my carers what we're talking about would be good LOL, and as they're not really fans they would be taking a CP ticket and stopping a "real" fan from getting to go, thats also why I want to go by myself and not take a carer
                  ((((((Eve)))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                  sigpic

Comment

okee dokee, i think we have a plan. Once the cocktail tickies are out there we can take a census of who has them and see how the G4 can arrange the seating to get those willing to help sitting by you.

I'm not one of them or trying to speak for them, but going by their willingness to arrange the samandans all at the same tables last year, i'm gonna bet that making an arrangement like this isn't impossible.

One thing i would check though, check with the hotel and make sure htat your chair will work with the room doors. I don't know if they have special ADA rooms - seeing as there is no ADA in the UK, but i do recall the thresholds to the rooms being rather narrow
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

We'd all be happy to sit with you, I'm sure, Julia! In fact, one great big giant huge table would work (tee hee - kidding, or I'd be ducking veggies I think!).

Love,
                      geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        okee dokee, i think we have a plan. Once the cocktail tickies are out there we can take a census of who has them and see how the G4 can arrange the seating to get those willing to help sitting by you.

I'm not one of them or trying to speak for them, but going by their willingness to arrange the samandans all at the same tables last year, i'm gonna bet that making an arrangement like this isn't impossible.

One thing i would check though, check with the hotel and make sure htat your chair will work with the room doors. I don't know if they have special ADA rooms - seeing as there is no ADA in the UK, but i do recall the thresholds to the rooms being rather narrow

I'm sure we can arrange something for Julia, no worries. The doors are double and Julia got through the last time for the auto/photo session in there so no worries there. Becky does the table plans and she can put Samandans together if you all request it like last year. We will make sure that Julia is with those who know her.

Julia, pm me or Becky and we'll discuss exactly what you want to do for the cocktail party.

Julia
                        G4
                        To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

On the subject of travel: the Hoppa bus that drops you off by the hotel is free if you get on it from Heathrow airport.

Re. travel to Heathrow by train. Last time I avoided the tube and got on the Heathrow Express instead. The tube journey from London is cheaper but very long. I went back by tube because time wasn't an issue and I was with friends and could while away the time chatting.
                          scarimor

Comment

Also, if you're coming in from elsewhere in Britain, check out your local National Express network. I can hop on a bus literally outside my door and it goes direct to Heathrow airport, only costing £13. It's fantastic stuff. It also only takes about 2 hours (provided the south of England isn't underwater!)
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

I want to sit at scari's table so I can tickle her while she's trying to talk to Amanda. And I want to sit at skydiver's table so that I can tease her likewise. And samcarterrules' table because she's a sweetheart and we can have fun making the others mess up their lines. And who else? Well, everyone really. Kat so that I can hug her *constantly* and make her turn five shades of red. Hee! And Ambermoon so that I can touch her credit card before it gets too hot to handle. There's more, I know there's more! Kliggy so I can see "SIPPY CUP '08"!!! Rune because she has THE. COOLEST. HAIR. She's so pretty. And also, oh, MAL because MAL always makes me giggle with her sense of humour. TracyJane because I adore her and love her tremendously - which wouldn't stop me from embarrassing her horribly while she's talking with Amanda, either. Then there'd be Spazzy who has to come and sit next to me (are there enough chairs? If not we can make some!), she'll fall asleep on my shoulder because she and tsax would've been up all night. We'll have to put something stronger than water in her sippy cup, I think! And I'm missing tonnes more, but I'm running out of posting space. Who else...oh, maybe young sophie because she's just lovely and so fun to laugh with! D'oh. Too many chairs... <sigh>

PS-> I still wear my little PUG charm from last year's GABIT. I thought it was so sweet and so special of Becky to make those all personal to us. I was talking about that for a good month afterwards!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                              ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Re cocktail party...

The tables are for nine attendees and there's a spare seat for you know who.

When you get confirmation of your tickets you cam mail me with a list of people you want to sit with. If you have nine it's much easier for me cos I don't have to think about it!!

Julia-Samcarterules- It's absolutly no problem for you to attend on your own. We will even have a few stewards about who could run for your carer if you needed it. We can also provide assistance for someone to help you with your tray so you can all end up eating together at the same time!

The cocktail party is held in the photo/auto room, so it's fully accessible, nice wide doors and there's plenty of room on the tables round the edge. We had a lady with a scooter at last years and it was no problem at all.
                                Just so you know, the ladies nearest the room we use for the cocktail party and next door reg are down steps so you have to use the Disabled loos round near the wessex room (the other side of the lobby to the room we use) Please remember that even if there is another function over there and it say private, you are allowed to use the disabled facilities.
                                The ren is otherwise quite wheelchair friendly and our main hall has it's own facilities too!

So, do not panic... we've got your back.

Any specifics, please just e-mail [email protected] or pm us.

Becks

Comment

Working...
                                X