GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ames View Post
    Well Neep proved that you don't *have* to wear trousers ... and really, unless you're wearing a really short skirt or transparent trousers, we shouldn't be able to tell whether you've got on pants underneath or are doing the commando... (Sorry, couldn't resist chelle! My first class in England, we took the students to a pool for their PE lesson. After the lesson, one of the boys exited the changing room in shorts instead of his uniform trousers, so I asked him why he wasn't wearing his pants - he turned bright red and did the fish face while the rest of the lads burst out laughing and asked how I could tell... at which point I remembered that 'pants' in England usually refers to underwear )
    In news of amyness, I bought a dress today Not the one I had planned on getting, but it's funky and fits well and was on sale -- so yes Mayo, you will actually get to see me in a dress! I've also changed my hair - I figured after 7 or so years of the same thing, it was time to splurge a little bit in that department Not too drastically though - everyone talked me out of the really short totally blonde I was contemplating ... at least for now!
    Uhm...what do you call "really short"?
    Hmm...maybe I should go dress shopping this week. I mean if you're going all out to wear a dress, maybe I should consider investing in a new one. I'll see how my budget is fairing out by the end of the week.
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by lbruce1980 View Post
      LOL, thanks very much ames!! Looking forward to hugs - hopefully no "stacks on!" Shall I be a complete noob and wear a badge with my forum and twitter names lol

I'm not sure where I'll be with the tour I have nowhere to stay at this stage, but would be happy to share a dorm if anyone wants to? Only have the Ren from Friday through to Sunday night, so I'm floating the rest of the time, any suggestions? I don't really like the idea of walking back to my accomm alone especially after a tour like that!! lol

Thanks
      We all get badges, actually - you need them to enter the hall for the Q'n'As, the ball, the auction, as well as the photo/auto room ... so we pretty much have them on for the entirety of the weekend

If you're okay with the hostel idea (as opposed to a hotel), I recommend HI Hostelling International (they have 7 different locations in London, I believe...just put in the nights you're looking for, and the website will let you know which have vacancies for that time frame). I'm spending a few nights at the St. Pauls location this time around, which is only 15 quid a night ... I stayed in the Earls Court location after AT5 (slightly more expensive but includes breakfast). It's not fancy, but the ones I've stayed in both in Canada and England have been safe, clean, and definitely a good way to stretch your spending money that little bit further, IMO!
      ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
      ames on facebook
      ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

if i remember correctly, and i seldom do, the gabitry provides us with name tags. 96% sure of that.

Comment

Hehe, should I wear my Nepali pants? They are purple, flowy and fantastic.
          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
            if i remember correctly, and i seldom do, the gabitry provides us with name tags. 96% sure of that.
            Hey Mocha, - They are not tags but badges that we wear around our necks!

Neeps - I vote to the pretty flowery purple Nepali pants! - but I think you better wear a top as well. Mumsey might get shocked otherwise!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
              Who doesn't!!

Oh wait...I didn't mean it like that...of course no one would encroach on Neeps no pants policy/thing...what I meant was I assumed that we had to wear a dress/skirt...not no pants but no pants/slacks...I think I just gave myself a headache.

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
              Really?

That is so close!
              I know! Due to the craziness of life, i hadn't booked flights, then when ready to book, the price changed by about $400.00 per person within a few hours! Had to revise plans somewhat to avoid that. Still got dinged with an increase though.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
              Hehe, should I wear my Nepali pants? They are purple, flowy and fantastic.
              Originally posted by llp View Post
              Hey Mocha, - They are not tags but badges that we wear around our necks!

Neeps - I vote to the pretty flowery purple Nepali pants! - but I think you better wear a top as well. Mumsey might get shocked otherwise!
              Ditto.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                There are very few cons that do it right. Gabit is pretty good, but I do wish they had more options when buying tickets.

For example I wish we had the option to add photo and autos to our ticket instead of having it included. Would make the ticket cheaper, especially considering the cost of just getting to the UK these days. I've way too many photo ops with AT already and am actually considering selling it to the highest bidder. Who wants two pics with AT?
                Just wanted to comment on this.

The reason we do an all inclusive ticket is that everyone knows where they are money wise. No one has to fork out more for photos or autos when you arrive, and you do get two autographs as well as the photograph.

I know it's difficult to get people to understand but the fact is that we are one of the only groups who does an Event for only one guest. That means that the whole weekend is funded by the ticket sales. When we budget out the event (and do remember that unlike all the other companies we are non profit) we have to know that the ticket costs will pay for the cost of running the event. If we sold tickets and then allowed for add ons we would not know from one week to the next whether we had a viable event.

So just think of it as ticket sales = an AT event can happen. Unknowns just don't work for us. Multi actor events can rely on so many factors that they can afford to risk not selling as many photos and autos. We just want straight ticket sales equalling the event being able to happen. It really is that simple.

And I hate to be a balloon buster but we cannot allow selling on of photo ops or autos to others. Think of it as your ticket which comes inclusive of things. If you don't want them then that's fine but there is no price on the photo or auto and it would get way too confusing. Sorry but you should try doing the schedule and ensuring which numbers go through when and how many etc etc. Trust me, it ain't easy!!

If we allowed you we'd have to allow everyone and we can't. Unlike other companies though we do allow the sale of tickets through us to those on the waiting list and assist with that. Can't be as perfect as you'd all like but we do our best....

See you all soon.

Julia
                G4
                To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

it's not like we didn't know in advance what the ticket price bought. if it's not to someones liking, then maybe they should consider not coming to the event. a small run event like this can't make special exceptions for people or everyone would want something different and it would end in chaos. the ticket includes attendance at the entire event plus photo, plus autos. take it or leave it. in multi actor cons, there are sometimes several hours of downtime while things go on that you aren't interested in. but this event is jam packed with stuff that is really great and i wouldn't want to see that get messed up and not have things run smoothly when the entire event just flows by(too quickly i might add). so take it or leave it. there are still people on the waiting list, aren't there?

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                    Just wanted to comment on this.

The reason we do an all inclusive ticket is that everyone knows where they are money wise. No one has to fork out more for photos or autos when you arrive, and you do get two autographs as well as the photograph.

I know it's difficult to get people to understand but the fact is that we are one of the only groups who does an Event for only one guest. That means that the whole weekend is funded by the ticket sales. When we budget out the event (and do remember that unlike all the other companies we are non profit) we have to know that the ticket costs will pay for the cost of running the event. If we sold tickets and then allowed for add ons we would not know from one week to the next whether we had a viable event.

So just think of it as ticket sales = an AT event can happen. Unknowns just don't work for us. Multi actor events can rely on so many factors that they can afford to risk not selling as many photos and autos. We just want straight ticket sales equalling the event being able to happen. It really is that simple.

And I hate to be a balloon buster but we cannot allow selling on of photo ops or autos to others. Think of it as your ticket which comes inclusive of things. If you don't want them then that's fine but there is no price on the photo or auto and it would get way too confusing. Sorry but you should try doing the schedule and ensuring which numbers go through when and how many etc etc. Trust me, it ain't easy!!

If we allowed you we'd have to allow everyone and we can't. Unlike other companies though we do allow the sale of tickets through us to those on the waiting list and assist with that. Can't be as perfect as you'd all like but we do our best....

See you all soon.

Julia
                    G4
                    I really understand, Julia, and you articulated well. My thing is that I have like 5 or 6 photos with AT and myself already. The last pic I had with her at AT5, I actually enlisted a few others to do a 'non-traditional' picture with her just for variety. I really don't need more as what am I going to do with them? I was more joking about selling the photo op than anything in my earlier post. Honestly, I'd rather have given the photo op as a donation to S4K or to someone who hasn't been as fortunate to meet AT as many times. Lifes short, and frankly, we can't take all we've amassed in this life with us.

Others should just take a grammar class and be quiet.

Comment

I really understand, Julia, and you articulated well. My thing is that I have like 5 or 6 photos with AT and myself already. The last pic I had with her at AT5, I actually enlisted a few others to do a 'non-traditional' picture with her just for variety. I really don't need more as what am I going to do with them? I was more joking about selling the photo op than anything in my earlier post. Honestly, I'd rather have given the photo op as a donation to S4K or to someone who hasn't been as fortunate to meet AT as many times. Lifes short, and frankly, we can't take all we've amassed in this life with us.

Others should just take a grammar class and be quiet.
                      This is an open forum and EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion.

That last sentence is just mean.

So. With that in mind.

I HATE PHOTOS - I just didn't get one taken at AT3 - I opted out. Quietly.

AT6. Quite soon now...

Comment

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                        AT6. Quite soon now...
                        It certainly is...

30 days til AT6 Ripples!!

I've had a few pics taken with Amanda jus coz I find it a fun experience. I don't know if there is such a thing as too many for me...I'm more the "I don't need more autos" person...pics are just fun. And besides, I'm not a photogenic person so eventually I'm gonna get one that I like.
                        Last edited by Chelle DB; 10 October 2012, 01:26 AM. Reason: got the numbers wrong...bugger!
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

So. With that in mind.

I HATE PHOTOS - I just didn't get one taken at AT3 - I opted out. Quietly.

AT6. Quite soon now...
                          So, stating my opinion is mean? Especially when I wasn't the one who started the verbal sparing? And you opt out quietly, I decided on a little tongue-in-cheek jest on a matter. Again, my opinion/decision to do so. Open forum, indeed!

Comment

So, stating my opinion is mean? Especially when I wasn't the one who started the verbal sparing? And you opt out quietly, I decided on a little tongue-in-cheek jest on a matter. Again, my opinion/decision to do so. Open forum, indeed!
                            What sparring - people were talking about photos - if you think that outright insulting somebody's grammar is relevant to such, then we have very different opinions on what constitutes an open discussion - I thought maturity was implied.

But I can do 5 yr old - here - I'm bored of talking to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                              We all get badges, actually - you need them to enter the hall for the Q'n'As, the ball, the auction, as well as the photo/auto room ... so we pretty much have them on for the entirety of the weekend

If you're okay with the hostel idea (as opposed to a hotel), I recommend HI Hostelling International (they have 7 different locations in London, I believe...just put in the nights you're looking for, and the website will let you know which have vacancies for that time frame). I'm spending a few nights at the St. Pauls location this time around, which is only 15 quid a night ... I stayed in the Earls Court location after AT5 (slightly more expensive but includes breakfast). It's not fancy, but the ones I've stayed in both in Canada and England have been safe, clean, and definitely a good way to stretch your spending money that little bit further, IMO!

Totally ok with the hostel thing, in fact I have an HI membership and was thinking about going into St Paul's hostel anyway, I have a friend of the family who lives in Barbican though and I was waiting to hear back from them as to whether or not I could stay at theirs but I haven't heard anything yet so I figured I might as well go ahead and book the hostel so that's where I'll be too

So we get necklace tags - nice! So everybody's gonna know who the Aussie twit is who got her ticket 32 days before the convention lol!

Seriously though guys so looking forward to it and so appreciative of how welcome you have made me feel without even having arrived yet!

Thank you so much!!

Cinds xxx
                              BY all means add me on FB too if you want - Cindy Bruce

See you all soon
                              WACKO!!!!

Comment

I have to agree. It is one thing to voice one's opinion but the last sentence was a personal attack. No room for that here IMO.

Moving on....starting to get excited about AT6, apparently it is close.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X