No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I did it for London I booked a lovely guest house in St Albans just 20min from London. I'm not a night person so it will be great for me. The price was incredibly reasonable as you would kind of expect if you go outside the city. If I could find a semi reasonable place at the airport it would take me on the Heathrow Express 15-20 min to get to Paddington Station so to me there is not much difference commuting wise

I love your bathroom story Fresh_horse it reminds me of the same situation in Wales. To use the sink you had to leave the door open. The shower I'm sure made for really tiny people was crammed next to the sink. I think the bathroom in a previous life was a small closet. Didn't really much care I was there only one night then on to Conwyn Wales.

Another question for the UK folks about trains. I am getting a BritRail pass but only for England. I am only making one excursion into Scotland to Edinburgh. Since I'm going from York to Edinburgh just before reaching Scotland is Berwick upon Tweed. Can I buy a ticket in York for the Berwick to Edinburgh leg of the trip or will I have to get off the train and buy one? It won't be a big deal if I have to there is another train in about an hour and I am not in any big rush.

Can't believe the time is so short before I leave.

good night

Comment

Ah memories of Berwick-upon-Tweed (I taught there for two weeks, lovely train ride up from Durham)! I'm guessing you'll be able to purchase the entire thing in one go, however you can always ring beforehand to find out for sure!
      ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
      ames on facebook
      ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
        Ah memories of Berwick-upon-Tweed (I taught there for two weeks, lovely train ride up from Durham)! I'm guessing you'll be able to purchase the entire thing in one go, however you can always ring beforehand to find out for sure!
        You can do it all in in one go.

Failing that, stay on the train until you need to get off and get a ticket from the inspector (if one shows up) - if one doesn't show up IT'S FREE! Lol

Comment

My BritRail card will take me to the border. So you can actually buy a ticket on the train from the inspector (we call them conductors; don't know why). That would be convenient.

Comment

Yeah, you should be able to get the remainder of the ticket you need en route.

Do you change trains when you get over the border or stay on the same service? - I'm asking because in my experience Scotrail is slightly cheaper than everyone else - not by much, but a bit,

Comment

During AT5 I remember that, before the panels, a vid was also showed. I was wondering if you could use my latest vid too...
              I just thought it was worth asking...
              sigpic
              My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                During AT5 I remember that, before the panels, a vid was also showed. I was wondering if you could use my latest vid too...
                I just thought it was worth asking...

The GABIT have their own video-maker in the team already, and I believe all of the videos for AT6 have now been completed - they were working very hard on them over the weekend. I've got songs stuck in my head still...

Comment

One nice thing about the BritRail pass is it works on all of the trains in the country. All you have to do is show your pass like it was a ticket. You can reserve a seat for what they call a nominal fee, whatever that means. It is the same train I checked to be sure.

Small glitch in my St Alban's guest house they don't do on line booking. I've got an email to them asking is they take credit cards. No I won't send the number by email but I have to call England on Friday so one more call to them would be easy. Credit over the phone I will do. I'd prefer that to sending a foreign check or transferring funds. In the remote case I may have to cancel it makes it much easier to get a refund.

Oh, the ongoing drama

Comment

sigpic

Comment

i got a phone call from India at midnight last night. apparently someone used one of my credit cards to buy an airline ticket to India. so i called the credit company and told them about the call. they also found another charge that wasn't mine. they charged about $1400.00 on my card. i don't know how they could charge anything because my card is extremely close to the limit because i put all my hotels and air fare on it recently. those charges would have put me way over my limit. very strange. glad it happened now and not a week before AT6. had to cut the card up and waiting for a new one. that would have been a disaster just before leaving for the UK.
                      i had trouble using my credit cards in the UK for AT5. the credit cards there have something on the front of their cards for security and U.S. cards don't have that. i couldn't get cash from atms. i kept getting small cash advances from the Ren. it was really nice of them to do that- i almost got stranded in Ireland. i ran out of cash and the taxis didn't take cards. finally found a bank that i could get cash from. think i'll just bring cash with me.

Comment

70 days til AT6 Ripples!!
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Ah, the chip and pin. I didn't have that on my card for AT4 and they looked at me very suspiciously. I had to sign for everything because they wouldn't let me use my pin. Luckily New Zealand caught up and a week after I got back my new card arrived with a chip.
                          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                            The GABIT have their own video-maker in the team already, and I believe all of the videos for AT6 have now been completed - they were working very hard on them over the weekend. I've got songs stuck in my head still...
                            And so did I. For months. But I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not a member of Gabit. Never mind. I won't ask that ever again.
                            sigpic
                            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post

And so did I. For months. But I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not a member of Gabit. Never mind. I won't ask that ever again.

Awwww lovely I think you have taken something to heart!

I am said GABIT video maker and I whole heartedly believe you worked extrememly hard on your video. Trust me I totally understand what it takes to get them perfect.

If you can will you email me at : jenn.scheffler[@]gabitevents[dot]co[dot]uk

I dont know your email address or I would have emailed you first

Much Love,

J.x.

Comment

HELLO EVERYONE!

Just thought I'd come gatecrash yer party for a while!

Looking forward to seeing you all at AT6!

Its exciting!!!

J.x.

Comment

Working...
                                X