GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
    Wait, people still have landline? I thought only people parents had landlines
    Raises hand. Yup.

Not a parent but aunt to many!

As for the phone discussion. I will need it for calls and texts. Also thinking that I will use it for music, TV and/or movies so I can take it on vacation. Am also considering internet since my only computer is at work and therefore I may use internet occasionally. Going to ditch the landline (apparently not ) and use just the cell phone.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      Wait, people still have landline? I thought only people parents had landlines
      I woodn't be without my landline, but then I do work at home and all calls are free so it makes sense to keep it

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        I woodn't be without my landline, but then I do work at home and all calls are free so it makes sense to keep it
        I also have a landline even though I live in an apartment. At one time, I was thinking of buying a house and going through the federal program called Fannie Mae. One of the requirements to purchase a home through the federal government was to have a landline in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
          I also have a landline even though I live in an apartment. At one time, I was thinking of buying a house and going through the federal program called Fannie Mae. One of the requirements to purchase a home through the federal government was to have a landline in the house.
          It's actually quite unusual for homes here to NOT have a landline phone - we have one - with fax & two cordless phones - plus our mobiles...but when at home it's way cheaper to use the landline than the mobile.
          I only know of one person who chose to not have a landline in her home.
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            It's actually quite unusual for homes here to NOT have a landline phone - we have one - with fax & two cordless phones - plus our mobiles...but when at home it's way cheaper to use the landline than the mobile.
            I only know of one person who chose to not have a landline in her home.
            It actually irritates me when people only supply a mobile number because I find conversations on mobiles difficult - it may just be an age thing, but I can never hear clearly

Comment

Wait a sec - having a landline was a condition of buying a house? - Is there a really obvious reason that I'm missing cus that sounds weird!

My landline is rubbish, reception is way better on my phone, but may just need new handsets...

Comment

Mayo - I figured as much (it somehow being my fault) ... any suggestions on how to fix said situation so my iTunes no longer holds all the power? *looks hopeful*

I use our landline all the time, because back when I lived in England, my parents took out an awesome international plan. When I moved back, we kept it. Well sort of - Rogers *hiss*boo* cancelled the 'outside of NA' portion because we hadn't used it for two months so they apparently thought they were doing us a favour. *glares* But I still get unlimited calls to the US, and use that frequently. Also, b/c we live in an apartment building with a secure entrance, you HAVE to have a landline to attach to the front door buzzer ... so yeah, still have one Actually we still have the same phone number as my parents first received when the area went to 7 digit numbers LOL I've actually had a childhood friend find me years later by randomly trying my old number and finding it still reached my parents!
                ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                ames on facebook
                ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

I do it the long way tbh - All the music and media d/l goes into a file on my HD and from there I move it, (and copy if I want it available for multiple players).

And if you go into iTunes settings - it does this auto sweep of your whole computer for files - you can turn that off and either import manually or pick and choose where it gets stuff.

There's actually a really good apple geek forum that has screenshots and stuff - if you can't make it your b*tch I'll try find you the link x

Comment

Here in the U.S., I believe the ideology behind the landline is to connect it to real estate that can be re-possessed if necessary. A cellphone/mobile device doesn't have that kind of value.

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                      Here in the U.S., I believe the ideology behind the landline is to connect it to real estate that can be re-possessed if necessary. A cellphone/mobile device doesn't have that kind of value.
                      I disagree (respectively of course ). My brother had a landline as do I. My nephew doesn't - I believe it to be generational! It will disappear as my generation disappears!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                        I disagree (respectively of course ). My brother had a landline as do I. My nephew doesn't - I believe it to be generational! It will disappear as my generation disappears!
                        I think it would depend on how the loan company sets up the agreement. That's what I was getting at.

Comment

It actually irritates me when people only supply a mobile number because I find conversations on mobiles difficult - it may just be an age thing, but I can never hear clearly
                          Technically, I still have a landline, though it's a voip phone. I'd much rather talk on a regular phone when I'm home. And with my new cable package I have caller ID on the TV which has already come in handy. Eliminates those nuisance calls.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                            That line, coupled with the 'iSheep' comment earlier makes me disinclined to consider the other paragraphs which are actually quite informative.

Much as I know people do like to follow trends - odd footwear choices being a prime example for me this week - I think the iPhone share of the market can't be written off as simply mob mentality. It's quite apparent they're doing something right.

Marketing isn't really my thing, but I do find the anti-iPhone/ Apple hostility all over the interwebs quite fascinating from a people point of view.
                            All I was saying is that basically people need to use their heads. If you like iDevices cos they're simple and so Apple-centric, then fine. It works for you. I choose not to follow the masses and use what I like to because there are some actual factual reasons for it. Not just because everybody and their uncle has one so I must get one too. The horror!

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                            I have a GS2 too! Android rulez!
                            *highfives*

Jumble, I dropped one down the toilet once. And flushed.

Put it on top of the radiator on a towel and by morning it was good as new
                            I once dropped my Blackberry into the toilet. OMG that was scary. I had returned from the beach and was dumping the sand from my backpack in the toilet by turning it upside down when I heard a "plop" in the water. Without even thinking, I grabbed it quick. It was still in its case so that might have helped save it, but I took it apart anyways, battery and all, and let it dry out overnight. It was good as new in the morning to my happy relief.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            a bowl of dry rice works too. The rice wicks away water and moisture.
                            Let it sit for a few days at least, depending on how badly it was moistened.
                            Yup, heard that too and was actually considering doing it if all else failed.

I do it the long way tbh - All the music and media d/l goes into a file on my HD and from there I move it, (and copy if I want it available for multiple players).

And if you go into iTunes settings - it does this auto sweep of your whole computer for files - you can turn that off and either import manually or pick and choose where it gets stuff.

There's actually a really good apple geek forum that has screenshots and stuff - if you can't make it your b*tch I'll try find you the link x
                            I never save music on my computer. After a virus wiped out one laptop, I lost so much info that I had only just begun to transfer to portable hard drives. After that, all music/movies/projects goes right away on one of the number of externals I have or just a simple flash or sd card if I may use it soon. I can then transfer this media to any computer, tablet, or music device. No worries ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                              I agree. I don't think I will get a landline when I move next month since I never really use it now. I'm still 37 for a few more hours, but I guess I fall into the 'new generation'
                              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Happy Bday MoB!!!! *hugs*
                                ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                                ames on facebook
                                ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Working...
                                X