GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    Also, I think airfares are starting to sneak up. One I had my eye on went up $50 just this week when it had been sitting on a quoted price for over three months.

Think it's time to buy.
    I've been keeping an eye on that, too. Usually, I can find something for about $850 and I hesitate to spend $1,200 right now, but my Magic 8 Ball is broken and refuses to tell me if prices will go up or down after the Olympics are over...

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
      I've been keeping an eye on that, too. Usually, I can find something for about $850 and I hesitate to spend $1,200 right now, but my Magic 8 Ball is broken and refuses to tell me if prices will go up or down after the Olympics are over...
      I don't think the Olympics are the only factor these days. The price of fuel is skyrocketing, and the airlines aren't shy about sharing the costs. Unleaded petrol has hit £1.40 + per LITRE and add to that an imminent strike by tanker drivers, it's a bit of a scramble to keep the car topped up lately. The Imperial (UK) gallon is 4.4 ltres so that makes it £6.16 per gallon. When I started driving and first owned a car, it was 4shillings and 8pence per gallon - just under 25p - a gallon! That's what you CALL inflation!

Mumsey
      Wandering off muttering about the good old days.....
      For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

I remember the good old days when petrol was only 50 cents a litre and gas was 25 cents a litre...and even back then everyone was crying foul over the fuel prices. Now I'm paying anywhere between $1.40 to $1.60 a litre but even that's better than what I was paying about a year ago - $2.20 a litre...it costs me about $80 a week to fuel up - I average over 500km a week in travel - it's insane. Everything is going up except my wages...well actually, a new work place agreement is currently in the works that will see a 10% wage increase over the next 3 years...no doubt the tax man will eat most of the increase and the utilities will eat the rest - small wonder most families can't survive with both parents working.
        But I still think we're lucky compared to other people around the world...at least my kids are fed and clothed and want for nothing.
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Those in the UK and Aus aren't the only ones suffering for gas prices. Here where I live it topped at $4.65/gallon when just a couple weeks ago it was floating in the $3 range. And they say it's still expected to go up cos it's not even summer officially yet! I drive 25 min to work one way daily so am usually filling my tank at least twice a week.

Guess that's another reason to stop waiting around for the 'magical' price drop on flights a month or two before I leave. I'm too much of a realist sometimes to believe it might happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
            Awesome. Leaning towards a t-shirt, because I am not sure I can justify another hoodie. Espesh since I have 4 or 5 but live in only 1--- the one Antoa gave me in December.
            I have too many hoodies as well! I would be more tempted to get one if they had girly/fitted hoodies. I definitely want a shirt. I just have to decide when to actually buy it And so glad to hear that hoodie is getting some use They are so soft!

Comment

On flights and prices, I think I read somewhere that airport passenger duty is due to go up too...?

- Don't remember when though

Comment

I wish I could buy my flight now, but I still don't know for sure what days I am going.

The one I am keeping my eye on seems to have gone up a bit, but there is still time. I would be nice to get a good deal on the flight, but I will be there regardless of how much it costs me.

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                  I don't think the Olympics are the only factor these days. The price of fuel is skyrocketing, and the airlines aren't shy about sharing the costs. Unleaded petrol has hit £1.40 + per LITRE and add to that an imminent strike by tanker drivers, it's a bit of a scramble to keep the car topped up lately. The Imperial (UK) gallon is 4.4 ltres so that makes it £6.16 per gallon. When I started driving and first owned a car, it was 4shillings and 8pence per gallon - just under 25p - a gallon! That's what you CALL inflation!

Mumsey
                  Wandering off muttering about the good old days.....
                  Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                  I remember the good old days when petrol was only 50 cents a litre and gas was 25 cents a litre...and even back then everyone was crying foul over the fuel prices. Now I'm paying anywhere between $1.40 to $1.60 a litre but even that's better than what I was paying about a year ago - $2.20 a litre...it costs me about $80 a week to fuel up - I average over 500km a week in travel - it's insane. Everything is going up except my wages...well actually, a new work place agreement is currently in the works that will see a 10% wage increase over the next 3 years...no doubt the tax man will eat most of the increase and the utilities will eat the rest - small wonder most families can't survive with both parents working.
                  But I still think we're lucky compared to other people around the world...at least my kids are fed and clothed and want for nothing.
                  Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  Those in the UK and Aus aren't the only ones suffering for gas prices. Here where I live it topped at $4.65/gallon when just a couple weeks ago it was floating in the $3 range. And they say it's still expected to go up cos it's not even summer officially yet! I drive 25 min to work one way daily so am usually filling my tank at least twice a week.

Guess that's another reason to stop waiting around for the 'magical' price drop on flights a month or two before I leave. I'm too much of a realist sometimes to believe it might happen.
                  The high gas prices make me glad I am biking again. With virtually no winter I am out on the bike early. Where it does cause problems for me is the fuel surcharge on flights. Still not in a position to book yet so will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                  I have too many hoodies as well! I would be more tempted to get one if they had girly/fitted hoodies. I definitely want a shirt. I just have to decide when to actually buy it And so glad to hear that hoodie is getting some use They are so soft!
                  I'm waiting to buy my hoodie at AT6. May also buy a phone cover if I have a phone by then.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    I'm waiting to buy my hoodie at AT6. May also buy a phone cover if I have a phone by then.
                    *gasp* *faints ded*

Comment

*gasp* *faints ded*
                      LOL! I was waiting for the first smart comment. Yes, I, a confirmed luddite, am actually thinking about considering maybe getting a cell phone.

Comment

There was a great price a couple of weeks ago ... but I really can't book anything until I get my confirmation of time off from work. *shrug* Unfortunate situation but what are you going to do?

I could gamble on it, but that's one heck of a gamble ... esp in light of one of my co-workers having just been forced to quit over basically the same situation. He asked the manager for a 2-week unpaid leave to go on an out-of-country trip, who said yes, shouldn't be a problem... He went ahead and bought the flights, etc ... only to then be told management looked at the scheduling again and due to it being an 'extra' time off (instead of his entitlement), he wouldn't be allowed it. So ... he had some choice words for HR, and found himself walked out of the building, classified as a hostile soon-to-be-ex-employee. That was a month ago. There is NO way I'm booking anything that requires time off until I have the confirmation of the timing in writing!

As for the petrol prices, my US friends know I have little sympathy for them atm. The prices they're hitting atm (at least in MI/OH/KY) were the prices in my hometown 6 years ago. All I can say is, you get used to it eventually... I swear it's like boiling a frog - they've got us trained now to cheer when petrol prices drop back below $1.25/L (which doesn't happen very often sadly... that'd be about $4.86/US gal, for those curious out there). My AU pals I commisserate with, and UK drivers most definitely get my sympathies!!

Sadly rising petrol prices will undoubtedly rise flight costs as well ... but until someone finds a way to get us from point A to point B without using petrol, AND that is more cost efficient to the user than using petrol, what options do we as international travellers have? Dang not having viable transporter technology yet!!
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          LOL! I was waiting for the first smart comment. Yes, I, a confirmed luddite, am actually thinking about considering maybe getting a cell phone.
                          Glad I didn't disappoint

So I just bought myself a nice new camera that I technically don't need, but wanted and could definitely afford. I am just so tired of lugging around my DSLR + additional telephoto lens to cons and such.

I feel a tiny bit guilty for the indulgence (chalk it up to the 18 months I was unemployed) so I think I might take a cue from Eh-T (and her watch story) and make a donation to S4K.

Comment

Ames - I have more sympathy for you guys and the Americans over the petrol thing, because with very exceptions (and I have specific cities in mind) your public transport is very bad.

Over here though... in the majority of places it's very good...

And a gold star for Eh-T. Siri will be your BFF before you know it

Comment

Glad I didn't disappoint

So I just bought myself a nice new camera that I technically don't need, but wanted and could definitely afford. I am just so tired of lugging around my DSLR + additional telephoto lens to cons and such.

I feel a tiny bit guilty for the indulgence (chalk it up to the 18 months I was unemployed) so I think I might take a cue from Eh-T (and her watch story) and make a donation to S4K.
                              Yay for you! That watch, the gift that keeps on giving!

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                              Ames - I have more sympathy for you guys and the Americans over the petrol thing, because with very exceptions (and I have specific cities in mind) your public transport is very bad.

Over here though... in the majority of places it's very good...

I know I am totally going to lose my luddite status--I even know what Siri is!

Comment

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
                                Noooes. Android all the way. Dont be an iSheep!

Comment

Working...
                                X