X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
    Don't you always do that?

>this is my innocent face<
    Actually, you have seen me under control. Just wait until I run amok!

Wait, you have an innocent face?

So, received the confirmation that my payment was received and I still owe 4.45. This despite the fact that I sent an extra 6 pounds in the hope it would cover the hidden fees. Banks, gotta love 'em.

I will book my hotel room although at this stage I don't know for sure if my nephew is coming.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Booked the hotel on the basis the nephew is coming and booked for the full time. I will make changes as plans fall into place. Gee, this is beginning to feel real.

Comment

Eh-T!

"Lawyer accused of indecency

Female lawyer charged with resisting arrest and performing indecent act to insult police officer."

Not even going to open the article because the headlind and teaser say it all.
        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Julia:

I took the Heathrow connect. It took about 5-10 minutes longer but cost a lot less. It also goes to Paddington station.

Comment

Well, I've finally joined the rest of you in our quest to seek out new and unexpected bank fees. The money has left my account and is winging its way to Gabit Central, interested to see how much of it arrives safely. It reminds me of stories about highway men and stagecoaches.

For those who've asked... Still waiting to hear back about the university application. Sigh. But six months ago when I wasn't sure which university I would be applying to or if I would need to come for an interview, I purchased non-refundable airfare to London for the middle of next month. Turns out the program I applied for doesn't require an interview, so now I've got 5 days in England and nothing planned. Anybody want to get lunch and/or go wandering with me? I have no idea what I'm going to do with my time, though I'd probably like to get out of London since I've already done the tourist thing there. Maybe I'll go be a fangirl in Wales and run around the Doctor Who filming locations or something...

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
              Hi Julia

Although a little pricy - the HE is probably the most convenient (and certainly swiftest way) to get into central London. It pops you out at Paddington station which has several elevators and a footbridge (with elevator access to get onto it). You can follow signs to buses just outside the terminal and they will also all have wheelchair access - so with a bit of research you will probably find that they can take you to many of the sights you wish to see
              We used it the first year it was open. A little pricey, but it was SOOOOO worth it for convenience and time. Had done the tube the year before and it was a major headache (of course, we had all our luggage with us)
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
              Anon

Comment

for accessible transport to london, i was very happy with my HE experiences at AT5. it saved me a heck of a lot of money that would have gone for taxis and it was faster than going by taxi.
                trin if you fly into heathrow i have a mission for you. will you gaze about and see if there are any "Barclays bank" atms.
                mission 2, if you go to cardiff -let me know if the dr who thing is worth the trip. i'm still looking into going but have to contact one of the train companies about my scooter and their "scooter permit scheme". send me a postcard.

Comment

There's a Barclay's cash machine in Terminal 5 at Heathrow, according to the Barclay's website. There's a Barclay's branch bank on Bath Road just east of Heathrow.

Comment

thanks, i knew about the branch, but didn't know what terminal an atm might be in. i wrote myself a note because i know i'll forget before november rolls around.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                      mission 2, if you go to cardiff -let me know if the dr who thing is worth the trip. i'm still looking into going but have to contact one of the train companies about my scooter and their "scooter permit scheme". send me a postcard.
                      Will do. And if it helps, I remember from AT4 that we had no difficulties finding Barclay's branches and ATMs all over London. Mom's bank has a partnership with them and she needed to find them every time we needed cash. Also, if they haven't changed anything, the Texaco down the road from the hotel had an ATM that didn't need the chip that my bank card didn't have.

Comment

My monies arrived - yay!
                        ...and randomly, apparently I managed to *over* pay. Which is odd, considering more was received than I actually sent ... as I purposely converted it into GBP before sending it.
                        But hey - apparently my bank rocks the rockrock when it comes to NOT getting stuck with unexpected hidden fees! *does happy dance* I knew I loved my bank

Trin, if you feel like exploring non-Torchwood/Dr. Who sites, I highly recommend taking a jaunt to the NE - specifically Durham and York. Lots of great stuff to see up there ... if you think you might be interested, let me know and I'll send you more specific recommendations Also, if you feel like chatting with a fellow ex-pat who moved to the UK to do her Master's and has never left, I'm sure I can arrange that too! (My friend Louisa is from Pennsylvania, originally, and has lived near Durham for a good 5 years now.) Wait - the middle of next month? What dates are you travelling? *has potential lightbulb moment*
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

When you guys are planning your outings, another thing to consider is talking to the concierge at the hotel or taking the bus. I know when we went to Hampton Court Palace, we were going to take the tube into central London, then get on the tube that went out there but the concierge said 'hey, the 111 bus goes straight there'

Yes, it does cut through the neighborhoods and yes we did deal with '9am housewife shopping rush' along with the '3pm bratty school kid' rush....but he was right, the bus went right there and it likely wasn't any slower than long tube rides in the wrong direction to make a connection. And I want to say that they are also accessible, at least they have designated handicapped areas.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                            Eh-T!

"Lawyer accused of indecency

Female lawyer charged with resisting arrest and performing indecent act to insult police officer."

Not even going to open the article because the headlind and teaser say it all.

Let's be clear--it was NOT me.

Looking for a place to stay that is more central than the Ren for the first part of my trip which (hopefully) will be sightseeing with the nephew. I have checked into the hotel where Lies, Chelle and I stayed two trips ago but am wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.

Comment

[QUOTE=EH-T;13131533]

Let's be clear--it was NOT me.

Sure, that is what you say NOW..

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
                                Will do. And if it helps, I remember from AT4 that we had no difficulties finding Barclay's branches and ATMs all over London. Mom's bank has a partnership with them and she needed to find them every time we needed cash. Also, if they haven't changed anything, the Texaco down the road from the hotel had an ATM that didn't need the chip that my bank card didn't have.
                                cancel mission 2. checked with the only train that goes to cardiff and they only take foldable scooters. so that's it for cardiff. will go to plab B

Comment

Working...
                                X