GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    Put a few Vodka shots in that jello and the book reading could be even more hilarious - how to slur in different accents

LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Gabiteers. Hope you are spending it with those you love (and not in a mall).

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      There are some stations that went to all carols a couple of weeks ago.

Bah humbug.

The songs are fun, but not a steady dose of them for 6+ weeks
      Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      When my favorite station started playing caroles a week or two ago, I switched in the car. I'm not a Scrooge, but I can't take non-stop Christmas music this early even on the drive to and from work.
      I don't listen to the radio at all between November and January because of that

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Gabiteers. Hope you are spending it with those you love (and not in a mall).
        it's "black friday" that people spend in the mall. usually starting at 4am.some earlier. do you have a black friday type event in canada or are you all a bit more level headed? i got up early and went once for a specific item at a fantastic price, but people are vicious and i'll never do it again. talk about mobs! not sure why it's called black friday.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
          it's "black friday" that people spend in the mall. usually starting at 4am.some earlier. do you have a black friday type event in canada or are you all a bit more level headed? i got up early and went once for a specific item at a fantastic price, but people are vicious and i'll never do it again. talk about mobs! not sure why it's called black friday.
          Or online! I just purchased a new tablet in a pre-Black Friday sale that had a killer price that I couldn't pass on. Nothing like helping the economy out!

Now, I must get off the lappy and get dressed for all the expected gluttony ahead. Mmmm, pumpkin cheesecake...

Comment

In the UK, some people spend Boxing Day queueing for bargains when the sales start the next day - crazy!

Comment

I don't listen to the radio at all between November and January because of that
              I'm in a choir. We've been rehearsing for a couple of weeks already ...

Mumsey
              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
                I'm in a choir. We've been rehearsing for a couple of weeks already ...

Mumsey
                Wow, you sing as well? Is there no end to your talents? I hope what you're rehearsing for goes well and that you enjoy it

Don't take any notice of me, I can take or leave Christmas - I usually decide to leave it

Comment

We know about "Black Friday". What I meant was that I hope people spend more time with family over the Thanksgiving weekend than in the mall.

Some Canadians cross the border for Black Friday but not me. I'm a buy local, support small retailers kind of gal. Some "Canadian" stores (ie Canadian branches of American stores such as Sears) are having sales as well. But I'm going to the biggest party in Canada this weekend.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

In the UK, some people spend Boxing Day queueing for bargains when the sales start the next day - crazy!
                    It's called 'Black Friday' because it's traditionally the point in the year when retailers' books are in the black as opposed to in the red! (Yeah, so up to this point they've been paying off overhead/merchandise stocking/advertising/etc, and after this point, it's actually profit.) At least, that's what I was told when I asked about the name!

We have Boxing Day, followed by Boxing week sales.
                    Growing up, we'd do Christmas Day with my mom's family. Dad and I would get up in the wee hours of Boxing Day to join the queues at the electronics/entertainment stores, then come home, wow Mom with our great deal snags over breakfast, and then drive to TO to have another Christmas with my Dad's family! Oh, the turkey ... and mash ... and cranberries ... and veg ... and desserts - mmmm flaming plum pudding! (Not that I ate it, I just enjoyed the spectacle!)
                    Now that my Dad is working in retail, I get up and drive him into work at half 4. Last year I spent the next hour and a half queueing to get in. This year I plan on napping in the car until the shop actually opens and the queue of frozen folk have been let in, then joining the shopping madness I swear, there were people with tents at the head of the line. Getting up at o'dark-thirty to snag a great deal I can handle -- but camping out on Christmas night in front of the store so you'll be the head of the queue? Seriously? *shakes head*

We know about "Black Friday". What I meant was that I hope people spend more time with family over the Thanksgiving weekend than in the mall.

Some Canadians cross the border for Black Friday but not me. I'm a buy local, support small retailers kind of gal. Some "Canadian" stores (ie Canadian branches of American stores such as Sears) are having sales as well. But I'm going to the biggest party in Canada this weekend.
                    Have fun this weekend. I was so excited for my TyCats, but it was apparently not meant to be this year ... maybe next year!
                    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                    ames on facebook
                    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

I do all my shopping online for Xmas so I can do it anytime of the day or night and not ever have to deal with a crowd! As for Xmas music, I can take or leave it, but my rock stations rarely play much so not an issue. But my one Xmas vice (TV Xmas movies) I love to watch them (sans commercials, of course). I usually watch about 20 of them between now and Xmas.

As for Xmas....boring but required. So I suck it up and do it. (All the time waiting for my 4 day - once a year visit to be over and I can go home!) As you can tell, holidays aren't much to me - they were fine when I was a kid, but once my grandparents were gone and as most members of the family have died off, very little interests. Even birthdays are boring! Only use for the next one is to start collecting Social Security and medicare, but I'll probably do nothing on that day as well!

No, I'm not a Bah Humbug type of person, I just really have no interest in holidays. I find little difference between them and normal days except I can't get to a bank or grocery store on those days. It really all fits well with my life style and generally, I am a happy person.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                        I do all my shopping online for Xmas so I can do it anytime of the day or night and not ever have to deal with a crowd! As for Xmas music, I can take or leave it, but my rock stations rarely play much so not an issue. But my one Xmas vice (TV Xmas movies) I love to watch them (sans commercials, of course). I usually watch about 20 of them between now and Xmas.

As for Xmas....boring but required. So I suck it up and do it. (All the time waiting for my 4 day - once a year visit to be over and I can go home!) As you can tell, holidays aren't much to me - they were fine when I was a kid, but once my grandparents were gone and as most members of the family have died off, very little interests. Even birthdays are boring! Only use for the next one is to start collecting Social Security and medicare, but I'll probably do nothing on that day as well!

No, I'm not a Bah Humbug type of person, I just really have no interest in holidays. I find little difference between them and normal days except I can't get to a bank or grocery store on those days. It really all fits well with my life style and generally, I am a happy person.
                        Me neither - I wish everyone that enjoys Christmas a very happy time For me, it's a great two week break when I can be on my own, have the house to myself and enjoy a little down time

Comment

I've been playing with my jazzband at various shopping centres the past couple of weeks for the switching on of their Christmas lights. Me, my band, Santa and his reindeer. 'Winter Wonderland', 'Jingle Bells' et al, all played ad nauseum.

The festive season is good for giving me some well-paid gigs.
                          sigpic

Comment

I love the festivities around Christmas. For me, Christmas Day is just part of the fun. We celebrate on Christmas Eve as well as Christmas Day but also enjoy Advent, Carols by Candlelight and family gatherings that are spread throughout the month of December.
                            This year I get to spend Christmas Eve & Day at home with the family but next year I have to work both days. So they tend to be just another day for me but I don't have to wear my uniform so that breaks the monotony of it all.
                            I don't like to actually go away at this time of year because of the traffic & the heat. That's why I prefer Easter time to have a holiday. Though Christmas does give us the time to have small weekend breaks at the beach or doing things outside. The kids have a bigger sense of holiday time as they are off school for an extended period of time. Tom finishes in a couple of weeks and goes back at the beginning of February and Niki has been on break since October & doesn't go back til March! Small wonder it takes 4 years to get her teachers cert at Uni.
                            I love reading how poeple spend Christmas time...it's so varied around the globe.
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

ames is perfectly correct about why it's called "black Friday". My daughter was a business major in college and that's exactly what happens - stores actually start making a profit at that point in the year.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                                It's called 'Black Friday' because it's traditionally the point in the year when retailers' books are in the black as opposed to in the red! (Yeah, so up to this point they've been paying off overhead/merchandise stocking/advertising/etc, and after this point, it's actually profit.) At least, that's what I was told when I asked about the name!

We have Boxing Day, followed by Boxing week sales.
                                We have a Black Friday here too...and a Black Saturday but they're all related to bushfires.
                                We do have Boxing Day and BD sales which I avoid like the plague. I use Boxing Day as a day to unwind from all the Christmas madness...I don't think I could handle the mayhem of shopping for Boxing Day specials that I don't need anyway.
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X