GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    How can Canadian and Michigan weather be any different? You did weather the Blizzard of '10 this past Feb didnt you? I'd say you're quite a hardy soul yourself.
    My one and only visit to Toronto (to see Amanda in VM), the trip there took 5 hours. The return trip took 24. White out conditions, massive pileups, highways closed, etc. So it's now a running joke about not traveling to Canada in the wintertime. I even got T-shirts made for those of us that survived the trip, which we happened to be wearing the first time we met Eh-T, Mandy and JanSam.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
      My one and only visit to Toronto (to see Amanda in VM), the trip there took 5 hours. The return trip took 24. White out conditions, massive pileups, highways closed, etc. So it's now a running joke about not traveling to Canada in the wintertime. I even got T-shirts made for those of us that survived the trip, which we happened to be wearing the first time we met Eh-T, Mandy and JanSam.
      Hilarious shirts that said "I survived Canada". Wondered what the heck they meant when I first saw them.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I wish my hubby and I had 'found' Canada earlier. Our first trip was in 2001 when we tacked a three week holiday onto a trip to Vancouver for Gatecon. We were in Banff for 9/11 (that's a whole 'nuther story). When I was at junior school I had a teacher who did the train trip across and it became my life's ambition to do that. Hubby would have gone mad trapped on a train for 5 days so I made do with the two day trip across the Rockies on that holiday. After he passed away, I decided that I would finally do that trip.
        Now the point of this. The first time was in winter. I boarded in Toronto (after having gone to Niagara, and seeing the falls covered in ice) and we travelled across some spectacular snowscapes, arriving within an hour of our scheduled time. The second time - same trip, but in summer - and we arrived more than 12 hours late! It seems the Canadians (or at least the railways) work better under a layer of snow!

Mumsey
        Last edited by SWMBOTGSG; 16 November 2011, 10:24 AM. Reason: Can't spell for toffee tonight!
        For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          I'm not tall enough to qualify for the machine, even if my veins could handle it.

It's amazing how much the restrictions vary from place to place.

Not tall enough Are they kidding....what has height got to do with it. I know they started disqualifying me because like Ames, I didn't have enough iron....enough for me, but not enough to donate. Made no sense to me either. But I started taking iron pills and tried again about 4 months later and passed. Then I got mono and again was disqualified for two years. But came back after that time limit passed. They also didn't like when I traveled overseas and I generally had to wait until six months after I got back. I would go every other year and wasn't going to give that up. Now because I was so sick and almost died they said I would probably not ever be able to give again (in California at least). But it has been 5 years and I think what I had would have gone away by now. So after reading all the posts I have decided to try again. Going to go next week - holidays are always a low point for donations and a high need time....so we will see. Have no idea what restrictions Washington has!
          sigpic

Comment

They even encourage iron pills or multi vitamins. Along with the 'foods that contain iron' lecture. No deferment for travel to many places, except third world countries or malaria areas. And using the plasma machine has a height/weight minimum.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Hilarious shirts that said "I survived Canada". Wondered what the heck they meant when I first saw them.
              Tee hee. Everyone thought we were dissin' Canada. Actually, despite the constant fear of death on the trip home, we had more fun that weekend than any of us could remember having for a long time. Loves my neighbors to the north, east, south (depending on where you are in Canada).

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
              I wish my hubby and I had 'found' Canada earlier. Our first trip was in 2001 when we tacked a three week holiday onto a trip to Vancouver for Gatecon. We were in Banff for 9/11 (that's a whole 'nuther story). When I was at junior school I had a teacher who did the train trip across and it became my life's ambition to do that. Hubby would have gone mad trapped on a train for 5 days so I made do with the two day trip across the Rockies on that holiday. After he passed away, I decided that I would finally do that trip.
              Now the point of this. The first time was in winter. I boarded in Toronto (after having gone to Niagara, and seeing the falls covered in ice) and we travelled across some spectacular snowscapes, arriving within an hour of our scheduled time. The second time - same trip, but in summer - and we arrived more than 12 hours late! It seems the Canadians (or at least the railways) work better under a layer of snow!

Mumsey
              That's a pretty big thing to lose.
              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
              Anon

Comment

Ah, so makes sense then. I'd be quite proud of my adventure too! I only drove to Canada once *waves to Ames* but it was in the springtime.

I did do my drive after working a twelve-hour grave shift though. At a very monotonous job even! I was tired even before I left. Imagine the need I had for toothpicks to keep my eyes open on those looong open stretches of nothingness. Five hours of dinky towns and prairie for miles.

All this talk of donating blood and the bad stories. Heh. Would you all hate me if I don't have much to tell? I must be the perfect donor. Nice large veins on both arms, perfect iron levels, blood pressure levels to envy, good weight, no piercing or tattoos (at the time). I used to get regular calls to come in with pints of Oberweis ice cream as the lure or coupons for this or that. Or 'come in 6 more times and receive a free gym bag with our logo!' Oy.

I do remember one time I went in and had a full day of things to do afterwards. Did my donating and pretty much hopped out of the chair and gathered my things. The nurse nearly freaked thinking I might get dizzy or faint. She clearly didn't believe me from the look on her face when I told her I was fine. Heh. I've never had a problem with spells afterwards. I even declined the juice and snacks in my rush to get out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                  Ah, so makes sense then. I'd be quite proud of my adventure too! I only drove to Canada once *waves to Ames* but it was in the springtime.

I did do my drive after working a twelve-hour grave shift though. At a very monotonous job even! I was tired even before I left. Imagine the need I had for toothpicks to keep my eyes open on those looong open stretches of nothingness. Five hours of dinky towns and prairie for miles.

All this talk of donating blood and the bad stories. Heh. Would you all hate me if I don't have much to tell? I must be the perfect donor. Nice large veins on both arms, perfect iron levels, blood pressure levels to envy, good weight, no piercing or tattoos (at the time). I used to get regular calls to come in with pints of Oberweis ice cream as the lure or coupons for this or that. Or 'come in 6 more times and receive a free gym bag with our logo!' Oy.

I do remember one time I went in and had a full day of things to do afterwards. Did my donating and pretty much hopped out of the chair and gathered my things. The nurse nearly freaked thinking I might get dizzy or faint. She clearly didn't believe me from the look on her face when I told her I was fine. Heh. I've never had a problem with spells afterwards. I even declined the juice and snacks in my rush to get out the door.
                  I did learn the hard way that you don't donate blood, then come home and shovel snow.
                  William Shakespeare

Anon

Comment

Daughter texted me today with a message that simply read -
                    "Just saw a car with rego AT 06 lol"
                    She gets excited too even though she can't come...but I have been encouraging her to try to save for it but she would rather go to Phuket.

Am waiting patiently for details on the Nepal school building project that my sons school is participating in...crossing fingers junior & I...and possibly hubby...will be heading to Nepal in 2013 to help build a school house.
                    It would be so weird if it had ties to Sanctuary for kids. ..weird but soooo cool!
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Mumsey - yes, we really *do* function better under a foot of snow sometimes ....It's a Canadian thing LOL

Rderoch - I've heard of your shirts (I was hanging out with Jan and Mandy at that event) but haven't seen them myself! I often thought of them while trying to explain Cdn geography and weather to my British students

Cel - you've only done the stretch to my house - you ain't seen nuttin' yet! Well okay, actually the stretch between London and the border is rather boring in the non-winter seasons, and potentially VERY exciting in the winter months (the snow drifting makes for quite the adventure in continuing to locate the highway ) but yes, some day I'll take you for drives elsewhere in the province as well! We don't have prairies technically - those were just farmers fields, fallow areas, and forests There's a random tank in one of the fields on the way up ... that was a bit of a ehn??? the first time I saw it LOL

Chelle - that sounds awesome! What an adventure - and I love that it's going to be a family-bonding time as well, from the sounds of it

Eh-T - you'll be happy to know that my aunt is about to make me a spinach-based protein shake for breakfast. I've found it's easier to just say thanks and accept whatever is laid whenever for me when visiting family than try to explain my odd eating hours. (When your work day runs from 3pm to 2am, and "lunch" is at 9 at night, traditional breakfast tends to fall when I'm usually unconscious!)

Entertained my aunt and uncle with tales from GABITEvents last night - including a re-enactment of my attempts at curling, and explaining the title of 'head of the international blue jello smuggling ring'. I was doing the math, and we've raised over 600gbp so far for charity through the sharing of bluey goodness - how absolutely awesome is that??? I need to double-check the numbers, but assuming I've added correctly, we might be able to hit the 1000gbp goal this time - if not, it'll be the next round for sure! *bounces in anticipation*

...and it sounds like breakfast is ready
                      Time to toss on my S4K hoodie, and head out to Parliament Hill!
                      ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                      ames on facebook
                      ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post

Mumsey
                        I think we have discussed this before but one of my best trips of all time was taking the train to Vancouver and back. Beautiful scenery, civilized and relaxing travel, great food, interesting people and showering on a moving train going around a bend is fun!

Tee hee. Everyone thought we were dissin' Canada. Actually, despite the constant fear of death on the trip home, we had more fun that weekend than any of us could remember having for a long time. Loves my neighbors to the north, east, south (depending on where you are in Canada).

That's a pretty big thing to lose.

Aww...we love you too...even if we did think at first you were dissin' us.

I did learn the hard way that you don't donate blood, then come home and shovel snow.
                        I have given blood and then gone curling.

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                        Daughter texted me today with a message that simply read -
                        "Just saw a car with rego AT 06 lol"
                        She gets excited too even though she can't come...but I have been encouraging her to try to save for it but she would rather go to Phuket.

Am waiting patiently for details on the Nepal school building project that my sons school is participating in...crossing fingers junior & I...and possibly hubby...will be heading to Nepal in 2013 to help build a school house.
                        It would be so weird if it had ties to Sanctuary for kids. ..weird but soooo cool!
                        I'm sure that will be an amazing trip.

Originally posted by ames View Post
                        Mumsey - yes, we really *do* function better under a foot of snow sometimes ....It's a Canadian thing LOL

Rderoch - I've heard of your shirts (I was hanging out with Jan and Mandy at that event) but haven't seen them myself! I often thought of them while trying to explain Cdn geography and weather to my British students

Cel - you've only done the stretch to my house - you ain't seen nuttin' yet! Well okay, actually the stretch between London and the border is rather boring in the non-winter seasons, and potentially VERY exciting in the winter months (the snow drifting makes for quite the adventure in continuing to locate the highway ) but yes, some day I'll take you for drives elsewhere in the province as well! We don't have prairies technically - those were just farmers fields, fallow areas, and forests There's a random tank in one of the fields on the way up ... that was a bit of a ehn??? the first time I saw it LOL

Chelle - that sounds awesome! What an adventure - and I love that it's going to be a family-bonding time as well, from the sounds of it

Eh-T - you'll be happy to know that my aunt is about to make me a spinach-based protein shake for breakfast. I've found it's easier to just say thanks and accept whatever is laid whenever for me when visiting family than try to explain my odd eating hours. (When your work day runs from 3pm to 2am, and "lunch" is at 9 at night, traditional breakfast tends to fall when I'm usually unconscious!)

Entertained my aunt and uncle with tales from GABITEvents last night - including a re-enactment of my attempts at curling, and explaining the title of 'head of the international blue jello smuggling ring'. I was doing the math, and we've raised over 600gbp so far for charity through the sharing of bluey goodness - how absolutely awesome is that??? I need to double-check the numbers, but assuming I've added correctly, we might be able to hit the 1000gbp goal this time - if not, it'll be the next round for sure! *bounces in anticipation*

...and it sounds like breakfast is ready
                        Time to toss on my S4K hoodie, and head out to Parliament Hill!
                        Ah, curling. Will be hard to top that highlight at AT6.

Just received my Rubber Rocks & Apple Boxes books. Very cute.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Just received my Rubber Rocks & Apple Boxes books. Very cute.
                          Does "block" and "talk" rhyme when you say it?

Maybe it's just kiwis who pronounce them differently. But then we say bear, beer and bare identically.

Oh and spoilers for the book

Spoiler:
                          Amanda told us about the different lights. The first time she heard a director yell "kill the baby and hang the redhead!" she thought "what a horrible man."
                          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post

Maybe it's just kiwis who pronounce them differently. But then we say bear, beer and bare identically.

Oh and spoilers for the book

Spoiler:
                            Amanda told us about the different lights. The first time she heard a director yell "kill the baby and hang the redhead!" she thought "what a horrible man."
                            Yup!!
                            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Last chance for the Samanda Card exchange. I'll mail out the addresses next week or so.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                                Not just Kiwi's...Block & talk do not rhyme here either.
                                I just gotta say, I love the Kiwi accent...it's always clear even when you don't quite understand what they're saying when using words like beer, bear & bare.
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X