GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
    Ooh that's interesting, I didn't know about that rule.
    So question - if an actor says something while giving you an autograph, or at a con that is NOT recorded for public consumption does the same rule still apply? - Because in theory the whole hear-say aspect still applies huh?

Genuine question, I am intrigued by this...
    I didn't know about that rule either, actually.
    I would think that so long as you identify where you heard the comment and therefore aren't presenting it as a fact for public consumption, but rather as a private(ish) conversation you are choosing to share as an equal participant ... well, that's still technically hearsay. Huh.

Perhaps it's one of those things that so long as it's not abused, and the comment isn't inflamatory, the mods look the other way? Otherwise there's a heck of a lot of posts that'd have to be altered... I can think of many of my own where I shared what a guest said to me (usually to share in the cringe-worthiness of myself doing/saying something stupid, as opposed to any nefarious and/or maliciousness intended towards the guest, but still - technically it'd be hearsay).

Let's face it, there's always connotations, tone of voice, context of the conversation, etc that can and will affect someone's comments, even famous people So seemingly opposing comments could represent a change of heart, or could simply be differing interpretations of the conversation flow at that particular point in time. I can easily see where the hearsay rule would be a good idea!

Trin, you have a definite point - the opinions are not mutually exclusive

In other GABITy news, I worked enough OT last week to cover my CP ticket, so yay! (Yes, that allotted money got socked away in the GABIT fund as soon as it hit my bank account yesterday LOL). Of course, I also need to get motivated to lose enough inches to fit into appropriate attire for the event ... good thing it's still a year away!
    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
    ames on facebook
    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

That's the thing, it's pretty much a rule that could apply to ANY conversation - unless it was independently verified blah blah blah Lol

Comment

Guys, I'm at work at the moment and though I would love to respond, typing more than a sentence or two is hard enough, let alone copy/pasting on my phone. I promise when I get off to properly answer this. I based my comment on what one other mod said in response to someone in another thread here.

Anyways, till then!

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Guys, I'm at work at the moment and though I would love to respond, typing more than a sentence or two is hard enough, let alone copy/pasting on my phone. I promise when I get off to properly answer this. I based my comment on what one other mod said in response to someone in another thread here.
          Anyways, till then!
          Can't wait to hear about this...this makes talking about what goes on at cons a sticky thing here in GW.
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
            This makes me inordinately happy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRIN!
            The fact that I am old?

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
            Eh-T, we were always even.

And it's such a nice surprise to wake up to birthday messages. I forgot to put my phone on silent last night, and it sounded like Facebook was trying to blow it up this morning. Then I come here and I get more! It completely makes up for the fact that I'm now in my last year of being a 20-something.
            Here's one more (better late than never) Happy Birthday Trin!

Originally posted by shinaynay View Post
            This is what I’ve heard everywhere! Once you start, you can’t stop!
            I wanted to do a Gabit event first because they seem a lot more intimate.

I’m sure I’ll have many questions once it starts getting closer. My main concern is what to do Friday night as I didn’t get the cocktail pass. But I’m sure I’ll find some group to insert myself in, no problem.

I'm definitely huge on the hugging, no worries there. I'll fit right in. As for blue jello, it is one of the most amazing desserts ever okay. Not the greatest, I'm sorry (cheesecake will always win that award), but it's right there at the top. In fact, I think I have some in my cupboards, lol.
            Gabit events are definitely more intimate and that is one of the best things about them. When they provide us with surveys at the end of events (yes, they actually care what people think) I am always torn. Having a smaller crowd makes it a better event IMO but there is a part of me that feels bad when checking that box on the survey, like I am trying to prevent others from being included.

As we get closer to the event I am sure there will be posts organising something for those without CP tickets. Last year a bunch of us went for dinner and had a great time.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
            First, I think I just read somewhere that Eh-T likes bites so let us all take some time out of our action packed weekends to give a wee nibble.

Now that's over with... *poke* stop enjoying the new episode with out me, guys. Guys? Over here! I have pizza! And chocolate!

Did I tell you guys what Amanda said when the inevitable blue jello question came up at our brunch? It's bad for us and we shouldn't eat it if someone offers it to us Just say no. I had to laugh when she said she wouldn't touch the stuff herself. o_0 I told her to try it with malibu coconut rum or feijoa vodka.
            See, I knew I would regret using that phrase!

If it makes you feel any better, I was out last night when the show was on (did tape it though, sorry). I was at a fundraiser and there was an auction! Happy me!

Gateworld has a policy about people stating what guests say to them during autos/photos, during cocktail parties/brunches, etc. on the forums here. Don't do it. Unless it's part of an official press release from said actor/guest, it's just hearsay. Rules are rules.

I'd not give up the believe yet Ames.
            Ooh that's interesting, I didn't know about that rule.
            So question - if an actor says something while giving you an autograph, or at a con that is NOT recorded for public consumption does the same rule still apply? - Because in theory the whole hear-say aspect still applies huh?

Genuine question, I am intrigued by this...
            Originally posted by ames View Post
            I didn't know about that rule either, actually.
            I would think that so long as you identify where you heard the comment and therefore aren't presenting it as a fact for public consumption, but rather as a private(ish) conversation you are choosing to share as an equal participant ... well, that's still technically hearsay. Huh.

Perhaps it's one of those things that so long as it's not abused, and the comment isn't inflamatory, the mods look the other way? Otherwise there's a heck of a lot of posts that'd have to be altered... I can think of many of my own where I shared what a guest said to me (usually to share in the cringe-worthiness of myself doing/saying something stupid, as opposed to any nefarious and/or maliciousness intended towards the guest, but still - technically it'd be hearsay).

Let's face it, there's always connotations, tone of voice, context of the conversation, etc that can and will affect someone's comments, even famous people So seemingly opposing comments could represent a change of heart, or could simply be differing interpretations of the conversation flow at that particular point in time. I can easily see where the hearsay rule would be a good idea!

Trin, you have a definite point - the opinions are not mutually exclusive

In other GABITy news, I worked enough OT last week to cover my CP ticket, so yay! (Yes, that allotted money got socked away in the GABIT fund as soon as it hit my bank account yesterday LOL). Of course, I also need to get motivated to lose enough inches to fit into appropriate attire for the event ... good thing it's still a year away!
            That's the thing, it's pretty much a rule that could apply to ANY conversation - unless it was independently verified blah blah blah Lol
            Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            Can't wait to hear about this...this makes talking about what goes on at cons a sticky thing here in GW.
            Not aware of this policy either and it seems to me that if there is such a policy it hasn't been enforced in this thread. Maybe because we are not disclosing anything inappropriate or anything personal that AT has said. I think this group is intelligent and will filter information appropriately. I have certainly done that. But on this thread I can recall posts of conversations at photo ops, at autos and in elevators and I have been one of those posters. Also, as a group we have posted what is said in the Q&As. That is not from any official statement or press release. My understanding is that the only thing that is not allowed (in addition to using one's own common sense filter) is posting anything that is said in the tea with Amanda and that is a Gabit policy.
            Last edited by EH-T; 05 November 2011, 07:49 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Here is the latest from S4K:

Greetings everyone!

What a busy fall we have had and we are very excited to be launching our winter fundraising campaign which will head into full swing over the next couple of weeks. Last year, we raised $20000 through our winter campaign and this year we think we can surpass that.

As of today our “Bricks and Blocks” campaign starts. Currently Phoenix Vision Society is in Haiti building its first adobe building at the Canaan 2 camp. The building will be able to withstand an earthquake of 8.0 and will be used as a meeting place for the community and serve as a beacon in the evenings, as the only shelter with electricity. The Society has been training locals to build this shelter and with its completion, there will be a group of skilled labourers, able to replicate its construction throughout the camp in upcoming months. In keeping with this, we are going to build our own virtual adobe houses- each home is $2000, with a brick costing $20. So 100 bricks build a home! Just think how many adobe houses we can build in three months and then disperse to our international charities!

Also, later this month we will be selling a very limited release of signed copies of Rubber Rocks and Apple Boxes written by Terry Murray, and illustrated by Jenn Brisson. This is a children’s picture book of the behind-the-scenes work of the cast and crew of Sanctuary. Amanda sold a whack of these books when she was recently in New Zealand and Australia and the response has been fantastic!

We will begin selling t-shirts, hoodies and iPad covers on our website at the end of January. We have a gorgeous design, and the items are in production as we speak. Many people have been asking for such items and we are thrilled that it will soon be happening.

In addition to the winter campaign, we will be running a New Year’s auction from January 1st to January 10th, 2012. The auction is going to be great fun, as always. Details are meant to be a surprise but we would like to give the heads up that there will be a lunch on offer with Amanda and Robin in London, around the time of the Chevron 7.8 Convention in February.

Peace to all,

Amanda, Damian and Jill

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Oh that sounds exciting
                Thanks for passing the message along Eh-T!

ames on facebook

Comment

Hello! Super newbie here.

I’ll be attending AT6. By myself. First con ever. Eeep! I look forward to getting to know all of you in the next year so I can say that I may be traveling alone but I’ll be meeting up with lots of super close friends once I arrive in London. YAY!
                  I’m sure I’ll have many questions once it starts getting closer. My main concern is what to do Friday night as I didn’t get the cocktail pass. But I’m sure I’ll find some group to insert myself in, no problem.
                  Shi! So cool (and slightly weird) to see you here! Welcome to the Gabit thread - I know you will make some amazing friends on here before the con. You are more than welcome to hang out with me and any other goons not going to the CP on Friday night. I know antoa and myself will be looking for somewhere to drown our sorrows - probably in the bottom of some over-priced cheese-burger. Although... didn't we get 2 meals for £12 at the Three Magpies last time? All I remember is being stuck in a corner with EH-T and getting very hot flushes... because of the ventilation... not because of EH-T... although there was that one time she stuck her keycard down my top... slightly inappropriate, I think... Where was I? Oh, yes, welcome!!

/formerly MIA PengYn
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay, home from work. Changing and heading out shortly to take the gf up to see her grandma in Loyola Hospital in Chicago so I may be gone for the rest of the night as we might seek out dinner somewhere up there since we're in the city.

Anyway, so this is the post I was referring to. My apologies to Bagpuss for copy/pasting it here, but when I first read it, I took it as meaning it applied all over GW. I wasn't aware there was such a ruling/policy (?) myself until this was posted. I've quoted it in its entirety here since it seems others didn't see it and I thought cutting the last bit out (which references the episode thread it was found in) might seem I was trying to hide something. This quote was in response to what someone said AT said about the 'controversial' kiss and though jello might seem far from anything to get our knickers in a twist about, the comment made earlier was still hearsay in my opinion and would fall under this. Anyway, if I misinterpreted what was said by Bagpuss, I will fully admit I was wrong.

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Let's NOT get into what AT said ,or what was heard and taken from her words at a Convention to a small group as a topic here or anywhere else on GW ,thanks.

Unless GW/Darren hears from AT herself to the contrary,or her words are part of an official verified statement and permission to reproduce her words publicly is given,we prefer to let her speak for herself ,not via her fans (or detractors).

Go to her Twitter account to offer opinions/support or whatever is appropriate .

( Try to keep it tactful though folks ! She, like anyone else, deserves respectful submissions ,and she can answer you there IF she chooses to.)

This though is the thread where viewers can post their opinions of the EPISODE ,can post freely within the parameters set by our rules and several Official posts throughout the topic,and with tolerance of each other's diversity of opinion.

Back on topic,thanks.

Comment

Little clarification here:

We don't ban all comments from cons. What we're having an issue with are fans/attendees taking comments made by the actors, cast, crew and then using those words as 'weapons' in whatever personal battles those fans may be waging. Do not take the actor's words and interpret them to then use them to 'prove' you are right or that someone else is wrong. Don't make those actors, cast, crew, unwitting participants in your personal issues. Do not use their words to declare others' opinions as 'wrong'.

Don't use words from those folks to cut down, disparage, dismiss, mock, belittle, attack others. Don't drag these 'innocent bystanders' into your personal battles.

This is our issue. We watched this happen during the ship wars, the Daniel wars, the season 9 wars and we have no patience for it. I watched fans take writer's or actor's comments and use them against 'the other side' to prove that someone else's opinion was wrong.

To use the current blue jello topic as an example. If AT said she really doesn't like it, fine. But if a fan were to launch their own 'anti blue jello' campaign and nominate AT as a spokesperson and start telling people 'hey, Amanda Tapping says the stuff is junk and bad for you, stop eating'...you've crossed the line. Wage your own 'wars', speak only for yourself, and don't drag others into them by using their words to suit your cause.

Respect each other, respect each others' opinions, even if you don't like them. On the flip side of that, when you express your own opinion, have some respect for your fellow forum members and don't say things in a manner that is sure to upset or anger.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Okay, home from work. Changing and heading out shortly to take the gf up to see her grandma in Loyola Hospital in Chicago so I may be gone for the rest of the night as we might seek out dinner somewhere up there since we're in the city.

Anyway, so this is the post I was referring to. My apologies to Bagpuss for copy/pasting it here, but when I first read it, I took it as meaning it applied all over GW. I wasn't aware there was such a ruling/policy (?) myself until this was posted. I've quoted it in its entirety here since it seems others didn't see it and I thought cutting the last bit out (which references the episode thread it was found in) might seem I was trying to hide something. This quote was in response to what someone said AT said about the 'controversial' kiss and though jello might seem far from anything to get our knickers in a twist about, the comment made earlier was still hearsay in my opinion and would fall under this. Anyway, if I misinterpreted what was said by Bagpuss, I will fully admit I was wrong.
                        Ah, Monsoon related - that makes sense.

Personally waiting for that particular record to change Lol

I think the coffe/tea Gabit thing makes sense - it's a VERY small group and private. Likewise a one-on-one convo is.

I figured a blanket policy would be a bit insane given anyone could just post a link to a youtube clip of an actor saying whatever though!

Is it bad to have a bit of nostalgia about the ship wars - some of that was hilarious. Crazy people amuse me - I know it's wrong, and yet still I laugh Lol

Have fun in the Windy place (hospital stuff aside obv.)

Comment

That policy makes sense, to not use words/statements out of context to further your own position. Thanks for clarifying Sky!

Just so we're all clear here, I had absolutely zero intention of starting a blue jello war! Trust me when I say you do NOT wanting to be throwing that stuff about. It stains EVERYTHING

Yes, I may know that from personal experience. Possibly. And that's *all* I'm admitting to at this time! *whistles innocently*

ames on facebook

Comment

Hear that, everybody? Ames says we should start a blue jello war. Food fight!!!

Comment

Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin, behave!!!

*channels Eh-T's infamous badge*

ames on facebook

Comment

Who needs paint balls? It can be red vs blue jello wars
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X