GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ames View Post
    It was cool watching the videos from AT1 and AT2 last time, as I (narrowly) missed attending both of those events as well.

I think it's safe to say things that have changed include no longer going for a Guiness record at the event (they did CurlyWurly stretching at one of them, and I believe the other was eating M&Ms with chopsticks? ) and starting with AT4, the events have sold out well in advance, which adds pressure to the ticket-purchasing day (or, y'know, 10 minutes that the tickets are avail for, if that long!) but also means a full-house for sure!

I asked my cousin Kara if she'd like to join us for AT6, so got to spend some time on Monday describing why GABIT is worth attending, with a skeptic also in the room (my best friend H just doesn't understand the fandom phenomena at large, let alone attending gatherings of this nature, regardless of how I describe what all we do there and achieve for charity). Luckily I'm very enthusiastic with my GABIT tales, so hopefully I'll be a +1 come ticket-time!
    I also loved seeing the videos from events I missed. Now I am over 50 I look forward to seeing videos of events I attended but can no longer remember.

Please stop inviting more people until after i have secured my ticket.

Originally posted by clairec007 View Post
    Just noticed the page number and could not resist it...

AT1 was unique in it's own way, no one new what to expect ie all newbies..it was awesome!! Amanda singing, bucket runs, Thomasina not singing etc so many fun memories.

Then the following cons just got better, you were meeting up with so many old friends and making new ones, truly hooked. The charities amounts just got bigger and bigger and then when you got to meet the people whose life has changed so much with a hearing dog...can't beat it.

The con's are so well organized, there is not much more to improve on them

Do miss the unlimited mug of tea/coffee from AT4.

Looking forward to AT6...7..8...etc
    I didn't expect there would be a great many differences. Once you have a winning formula, you stick with it.

I did like the pre-registration that was instituted at AT4 (I think) but I completely understand why they did away with it. Besides, there was a certain amount of guilt for those who had the advantage of it when others didn't.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      I did like the pre-registration that was instituted at AT4 (I think) but I completely understand why they did away with it. Besides, there was a certain amount of guilt for those who had the advantage of it when others didn't.
      I liked it as well. It was sort of a 'thank you' (in a sense) for being a regular attendee to the events and gave many a lot less stress and worry during the first phase of ticket sales. No staying up late, getting up early, or calling in sick to work. Also, I think it moved your seat up many rows which was nice. I went from row J (I think) to row E for AT5 which was cool. Totally understand why Gabit decided not to do it again, though.

And yes. I know for a fact that tickets didn't sell out completely (at first) for AT5 because I ended up buying a second ticket about six months later for someone. She ended up being in the second or third row from the back so very near the end of the event being sold out at that stage in the ticket sales.

Comment

I bought my ticket for AT5 in October, IIRC. Were there more tix available for AT5 than other years? I will be buying my ticket when it goes on sale, to be sure, but I'm not likely to stay up all night to wait for the sale to go live. My schedule just doesn't permit that.
        sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

traditionally, the con doesn't 'sell' out immediately. Let's say they have 300 tickets available...and 400 requests are put in....well some of those end up being duplicates or some people back out before they pay.....they're not 'sold out' until all available tickets are paid for.

IIRC, AT4 and 5 didn't sell out, or if they did, they sold out in the weeks before the con.

make your own judgement call of course.

that said, also even if you end up being 320th and aren't allotted a ticket, there are 10ish months for people to back out or decide they can't come
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I thought AT4 sold out pretty quickly. I could be wrong...its know to happen.
            AT4 was my first and thus far only Gabit event...totally looking forward to AT6...and have AT8 in my future plans.
            It was a HUGE learning curve for me having been the first time I had ever travelled on my own across the seas and all. Next time I plan to relax a bit & get to meet more Gabiteers. Last time I missed a few important peeps & have regretted not making the effort to seek them out.
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

You're correct Chelle, AT4 sold out quickly, while AT5 was a sell out but not until nearer the event

Tracy
              Gabit Steward Coordinator

Comment

stand corrected

I haven't dealt with the rush for the tickets since AT3 so I was trying to remember others' experiences.

sigpic

Comment

No worries Sky, it's always nice to publise when an event sells out and even better if it's quick, great publicity!

Comment

Originally posted by t_2 View Post
                    No worries Sky, it's always nice to publise when an event sells out and even better if it's quick, great publicity!
                    True that. Also, it does make those fence sitters commit!

Comment

Just have to say lame moose is awesome!

I received a lovely surprise in today's mail, an autographed pic of CJ to make up for my having missed him in Vancouver. Very, very thoughtful of her. Big thanks lame moose.

He signed it to me and said "please stop being bitter" Would love to know what you said to him lm.

BTW, she also had him draw a curling rock on the photo (or attempt to draw a curling rock-an artist he is not!). I guess that is my new thing, getting all Stargate actors to sign and draw curling rocks or write curling comments like AZ.

Thanks again my dear.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                        Just have to say lame moose is awesome!

I received a lovely surprise in today's mail, an autographed pic of CJ to make up for my having missed him in Vancouver. Very, very thoughtful of her. Big thanks lame moose.

He signed it to me and said "please stop being bitter" Would love to know what you said to him lm.

BTW, she also had him draw a curling rock on the photo (or attempt to draw a curling rock-an artist he is not!). I guess that is my new thing, getting all Stargate actors to sign and draw curling rocks or write curling comments like AZ.

Thanks again my dear.
                        That was really nice of her....CJ is the only Stargate member I haven't met yet. He wasn't going to the cons in Vancouver when I went to two of them.
                        sigpic

Comment

I got a pic with Chris, well Amanda, Chris and corin back at a gate con. I think he's calmed down a bit since then.. MS was there and the two of them were playing around quite a bit. I remember, for my pic, amanda had to grab him and wrangle him and literally tell him 'Chris, smile and look at the camera'

He is a funny guy but can also be quite naughty, so if he's at a con, best leave the kiddies at home.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                            That was really nice of her....CJ is the only Stargate member I haven't met yet. He wasn't going to the cons in Vancouver when I went to two of them.
                            Ditto for me (of the main cast members)

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            I got a pic with Chris, well Amanda, Chris and corin back at a gate con. I think he's calmed down a bit since then.. MS was there and the two of them were playing around quite a bit. I remember, for my pic, amanda had to grab him and wrangle him and literally tell him 'Chris, smile and look at the camera'

He is a funny guy but can also be quite naughty, so if he's at a con, best leave the kiddies at home.
                            I had been warned. Still, would have been nice to see him since I have seen AT, RDA, MS and CN

Comment

EH-T you're very welcome. i thought you might enjoy getting that. i just asked him to write what he did and said it was a long story-didn't try to explain it. i drew the curling stone on a piece of paper and he copied it on the photo, so neither of us are very good at drawing. but, you figured out what it was, so it was at least recognizable.
                              i expected to have to walk out when he talked because i had heard that he had a pretty foul mouth and i don't care to sit and listen to that. but i didn't hear one swear word from him. of course we were sitting in the back and he kept holding his mic too far from his mouth, so we only heard about half of what he said. he was very friendly at the autograph table. we only had day tickets so we were the last to get autographs. we waited 3 1/2 hours. typical creation ent.
                              next year is the last chicago creation con so i'm trying to talk amanda into going. can't believe i won't get to see her again for 14 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                Oh he hasn't calmed down that much...in fact I would say he's calmed up. He's definitely nothing like Teal'c...and yes, leave the kids at home.
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X