GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
    I must check my glasses; I could have sworn this was the Gabit thread and not an admiration society of one certain group that attended. Apparently things have changed since the first two AT events.
    Oh no need to check your glasses! This is definitely the Gabit thread and yes things have changed (in a lovely way) since the first two AT events! People are more together, more compassionate in their inclusion of others and more willing to openly share their friendships on here. They came together as fans of Amanda and the friendships now encompass the entire globe!

I LOVE what the events have come to embody and represent and it was a delight to meet the WooHoos who I'd only met briefly at TSE, and I'm sad I didn't get to talk to them for longer. Next time girls...

What I loved was that quite a few of this group first encountered Gabit in Vancouver at TSE and came over to our AT event a few weeks ago because of it. Welcome, welcome!

AT5 - the wonderful wonderful weekend of hugs! AT6 - R.......

I have my thoughts!

Julia
    G4
    To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Jenn *hugs* thanks for posting this, both the words and images were very beautiful and moving!

You and Julia are both awesome! I loved all the vids at AT5.

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Jenn, thanks so much for posting, I've been trying to remember the words since last week, was far too engrossed to take notes

*huggles Julia* I have to say coming to TSE wasn't the only thing that made me want to come to AT5 but it was definitely a strong influencing factor!! The people I met in Vancouver were so incredibly welcoming, generous and humble and I feel truly honoured to know about and be involved in this strain of fandom. This Gabit thing is certainly...infectious

ROLL ON AT6...(and TSE 2 )

Comment

Originally posted by JennS View Post
          Emmm I don't post here very often so please be nice to me!
          We're always nice! Well, at least we always try to be. I made it through AT5 without accidentally squishing anybody between chairs this time or causing any klutz-related injuries, anyway. Welcome to the thread!

Comment

I just feel like sharing some *hugs* all around!!

We're all still on the AT5 happy high

Glad everyone is ok too!!

And tx for posting Julia's words Jenn, they certainly have an impact and are beautiful.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing those words Jenn. I wasn't there, and I'm glad I was able to read that! It's so true and beautiful.
              sigpic
              Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
              My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
              Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Thank you, Jenn for posting the words to the vid. Where're my tissues now?

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                AT5 - the wonderful wonderful weekend of hugs! AT6 - R.......I have my thoughts!
                AT6... Rock on?

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                *glomps*
                sigpic

Comment

Oh no need to check your glasses! This is definitely the Gabit thread and yes things have changed (in a lovely way) since the first two AT events! People are more together, more compassionate in their inclusion of others and more willing to openly share their friendships on here. They came together as fans of Amanda and the friendships now encompass the entire globe!

I LOVE what the events have come to embody and represent and it was a delight to meet the WooHoos who I'd only met briefly at TSE, and I'm sad I didn't get to talk to them for longer. Next time girls...
                  Thank you Julia, and yes, next time indeed

What I loved was that quite a few of this group first encountered Gabit in Vancouver at TSE and came over to our AT event a few weeks ago because of it. Welcome, welcome!
                  That's exactly right. Meeting Amanda at TSE and seeing how GABIT runs their events with such care and enthusiasm is what made so many of us come to AT5, and will no doubt bring even more of us to AT6 - you've been warned

I have my thoughts!

Julia
                  G4
                  Even being a huggy WooHoo, I've never been hugged so much in my life as I was last week-end. WooHoos, Samandans, Gabiteers - we were all as one in our admiration of Amanda

Comment

Hello GW!

I have come to post something I am hoping people who attended AT5 will recognise an to share it with the folk who didn't make it because I think these words are something that is really worthwhile sharing. I had the absolute blessing of working with Julia again on the charity video.

I do the music and editing and Julia does the words. When I received them in my inbox I sat and read them again and again and felt the impact of them and their meaning full heartedly. So I am sharing them here and wherever else I can think of to spam

I send *HUGE hugs* to you all and dare I say ROLL ON AT6!!

If we turn away from the cries of those children who need us.

If we watch unmoved, cold of heart, as their tears fall to moisten the earth below.

Then we will feel the ice within us harden and eventually shatter.

Because we did not care.

No child on this earth should die from want of food or water or from the ravages of curable sickness.

No child should live in fear or in darkness.

No human being who lives on this earth should see these things and not try to change them.

They are our sisters and our brothers and we cannot turn away.

If we lend what we have to the Universe to do good for others, there is no limits to the miracles which can be achieved with even the smallest amount.

Some human beings are born to lead others by deed, by word and by example to do incredible good.

When you find someone with a vision or a dream to help those who are in need, then follow them.

For you too will become a leader and others will follow you.

And so a wonderful chain of humanity and compassion will be born.

And only good will come from it.

(Julia Hague 2011)
                    Thank you very much for sharing Jenn - and I love your work on the videos
                    Roll on AT6 indeedio! *huge hugs*

I have my thoughts!

Julia
                    G4
                    Ooooh, the teasing begins early this time around! LOL
                    *contemplates lugging out the dictionary, decides it's a wee bit early for that*
                    I wonder, will the hugs for charity become a regular event? I do hope so!
                    *huge bouncy hugs*

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                    Thank you Julia, and yes, next time indeed

That's exactly right. Meeting Amanda at TSE and seeing how GABIT runs their events with such care and enthusiasm is what made so many of us come to AT5, and will no doubt bring even more of us to AT6 - you've been warned

Even being a huggy WooHoo, I've never been hugged so much in my life as I was last week-end. WooHoos, Samandans, Gabiteers - we were all as one in our admiration of Amanda
                    What happens when you belong to more than one of the above groupings?
                    Do you get a separate combination name, or do you have to rank your affiliations, I wonder? *ponders* (can you tell I've had a long day? *attempts to reign in wandering brain* LOL)

I didn't get a hug this time around Jumble ... *pouts* Next time, eh???

I had a somewhat surreal moment on Sunday. My mother (the one who insisted she wasn't into sci-fi all the time I was growing up) turns to me in the car and asks if I knew that the Torchwood crew were going to be at a con in Chicago. No, I reply, wondering where this is going to lead. "Well, you're always talking about those cons you go to in England, and this is much closer, and I want you to take me!" *insert incredulous blinking here* I told her no, as the con is in like 3 weeks, so there's no way I'd be able to get time off even if we still could get tickets, and then thought about trying to explain why GABIT cons are soooooooo much different than the rest of them out there... (not to mention she's not yet been cleared medically to leave the country as of yet - minor detail, eh?) So now I guess I'll be taking mom to a con next year I'd love to bring her to AT6, but I doubt that'll be in the cards ... maybe AT7? *looks hopeful*

Miss all y'all, and hoping the return to RL has been relatively gentle... *massive Cdn bear hugs to the thread*
                    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                    ames on facebook
                    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                      Thank you very much for sharing Jenn - and I love your work on the videos
                      Roll on AT6 indeedio! *huge hugs*

Ooooh, the teasing begins early this time around! LOL
                      *contemplates lugging out the dictionary, decides it's a wee bit early for that*
                      I wonder, will the hugs for charity become a regular event? I do hope so!
                      *huge bouncy hugs*

What happens when you belong to more than one of the above groupings?
                      Do you get a separate combination name, or do you have to rank your affiliations, I wonder? *ponders* (can you tell I've had a long day? *attempts to reign in wandering brain* LOL)
                      It really doesn't matter, like I said we're all one when it comes to Amanda

I didn't get a hug this time around Jumble ... *pouts* Next time, eh???
                      I know Whenever I saw you you were busy or I was rushing off somewhere, and we completely missed the chocolate party Next time, definitely! In the meantime *sends squishy huggles*

I had a somewhat surreal moment on Sunday. My mother (the one who insisted she wasn't into sci-fi all the time I was growing up) turns to me in the car and asks if I knew that the Torchwood crew were going to be at a con in Chicago. No, I reply, wondering where this is going to lead. "Well, you're always talking about those cons you go to in England, and this is much closer, and I want you to take me!" *insert incredulous blinking here* I told her no, as the con is in like 3 weeks, so there's no way I'd be able to get time off even if we still could get tickets, and then thought about trying to explain why GABIT cons are soooooooo much different than the rest of them out there... (not to mention she's not yet been cleared medically to leave the country as of yet - minor detail, eh?) So now I guess I'll be taking mom to a con next year I'd love to bring her to AT6, but I doubt that'll be in the cards ... maybe AT7? *looks hopeful*

Miss all y'all, and hoping the return to RL has been relatively gentle... *massive Cdn bear hugs to the thread*
                      Take her! She'll love it

Comment

Thanks Jenn for posting those words. They are so true and words that we should carry with us when we feel our own lives getting the better of us.

So glad that all the GABIT NZ-ers are safe. My thoughts are with all those who aren't.

Ames I definitely fell into the straddling a few groups category and you know what? It hardly mattered. It all felt like one giant, lovely, huggy family to me.

Rock on to AT6!
                        sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Wow. Jenn those words are just amazingly beautiful. Thank you for posting them.
                          It's been a rather melancholy day for me with the news constantly talking about the devastation in Christchurch, all the natural disasters happening in my own backyard already this year and with a friend at work being driven to tears because of insensitive words by others. I know that the people of this world can be beautiful and spirited and generous beyond words but it takes just one event to have that tumble down. My spirits are always lifted when I come to GW. Thank you. Thank you all so much.
                          can't wait to see you at AT6. xo
                          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Hello GW!

I have come to post something I am hoping people who attended AT5 will recognise an to share it with the folk who didn't make it because I think these words are something that is really worthwhile sharing. I had the absolute blessing of working with Julia again on the charity video.

I do the music and editing and Julia does the words. When I received them in my inbox I sat and read them again and again and felt the impact of them and their meaning full heartedly. So I am sharing them here and wherever else I can think of to spam

I send *HUGE hugs* to you all and dare I say ROLL ON AT6!!

If we turn away from the cries of those children who need us.

If we watch unmoved, cold of heart, as their tears fall to moisten the earth below.

Then we will feel the ice within us harden and eventually shatter.

Because we did not care.

No child on this earth should die from want of food or water or from the ravages of curable sickness.

No child should live in fear or in darkness.

No human being who lives on this earth should see these things and not try to change them.

They are our sisters and our brothers and we cannot turn away.

If we lend what we have to the Universe to do good for others, there is no limits to the miracles which can be achieved with even the smallest amount.

Some human beings are born to lead others by deed, by word and by example to do incredible good.

When you find someone with a vision or a dream to help those who are in need, then follow them.

For you too will become a leader and others will follow you.

And so a wonderful chain of humanity and compassion will be born.

And only good will come from it.

(Julia Hague 2011)
                            thank you for posting those Jenn, beautiful to read

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

We're all still on the AT5 happy high

Glad everyone is ok too!!

And tx for posting Julia's words Jenn, they certainly have an impact and are beautiful.
                            *huggles*

My guess on the name of the next event is AT6 - Raspberry Ripple!

sigpic
                            Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                            My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post

Hahaha!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post

Rocky Road

Comment

Working...
                                X