GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy View Post
    YES! And my answers never seems to satisfy them... I say either just a convention and it happens to be held in February or.... "Do you know Stargate?" - "Kinda, has been on TV" - "Right, so there has always been a blonde woman on the team: Amanda! I'm meeting her there at her own convention." - Oooookay.. o.O

FRUSTRATING!
    You're doing it all wrong!

I will be working at a charity event organized by an international women's network.

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
      For time for me at a Con. I was wondering about the autographs, can I choose and print whatever Amanda's pictures that I like?
      they need to be 'official' photos. Honestly? I doubt you can find many pictures on the net that are high enough quality to print out and look good. To look good photos would need to be at least 2-3000 pixels wide and tall and 300 DPI (dots per inch)

basically, if the photo isn't at least a megabyte or larger in file size, it's probably too small

also, there is a rule about unofficial photos and fan creations being signed.

I'm reasonably sure Gabit will have a dealer's room that will have pretty 8x10 photos that can be signed, and they're usually very reasonable 6 pounds or so. You could also look on the Legends site to see if there are any photos there that you could buy, or if you have something that you're worried about, e-mail Gabit. Perhaps you can send them a photo/scan of your item and they can let you know if it's appropriate.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
        Haven't seen those around here, must have made it to this market.

And I just tell people I am going for a charity event and to meet up with my friends.
        Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
        I have never heard of PB&J M&Ms. Srsly?
        I'll bring a couple bags. They're srsly nom. I usually avoid the candy aisle where I can buy them cos last time I pretty much devoured the bag in a day.

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
        I just tell people I'm... getting on the tube.
        Heh.

For time for me at a Con. I was wondering about the autographs, can I choose and print whatever Amanda's pictures that I like?
        Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        they need to be 'official' photos. Honestly? I doubt you can find many pictures on the net that are high enough quality to print out and look good. To look good photos would need to be at least 2-3000 pixels wide and tall and 300 DPI (dots per inch)

basically, if the photo isn't at least a megabyte or larger in file size, it's probably too small

I'm reasonably sure Gabit will have a dealer's room that will have pretty 8x10 photos that can be signed, and they're usually very reasonable 6 pounds or so. You could also look on the Legends site to see if there are any photos there that you could buy, or if you have something that you're worried about, e-mail Gabit. Perhaps you can send them a photo/scan of your item and they can let you know if it's appropriate.
        Sky beat me to it, but I'd have to agree. Pics printed out at home have to be licensed or 'official', but there are usually plenty of shiny ones to buy there and really quite reasonably priced. Plus, you don't have the added worry of bending or marking the photo before it's even signed.

Speaking of which, a little suggestion. A nice large mailing envelope with a couple pieces of cardboard is a fantastic way to protect precious photo ops and such, especially if there is a bit more traveling to be done after the event is over. Tried this for TSE and my pics came home with me in perfect condition.

Comment

Also keep in mind that you will have your photo with AT which you can have signed.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

or, if you're lucky enough to win a ticket to the cocktail party, you can have that photo signed as well.

so, for anyone budgetarily constrained, you'll get at least one, possibly two photos with the price of admission to get signed...if you want to buy another, that's your choice.

Things like dvd covers, magazines (stargate ones), other memorabilia, that stuff is also okay. (fabrics aren't, so if you happen to have a costume lying around, don't bring it )

a friend of mine gave me a set of stargate coasters for christmas and they'll be my next 'con quest' to get signed.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

I bet that shuts them up pretty quick!
              ....it beats attempting to explain anything scifi related such as Stargate, Star Trek, or Sanctuary to people with the 'twilight zone' look.

Comment

I often tell people 'oh, some friends and I are meeting up'...and leave it there.

sigpic

Comment

something that i like much better than m&ms are the "pieces".from the hershey company. they have reese's pieces(peanut butter), hershey's pieces(dark choc.), almond joy pieces(like tiny almond joy bars) and my personal favorites, york pieces(peppermint flavored dark choc in a crunchy shell). i think they're better than m&ms.

Comment

Hi all,

I've given up trying to explain the AT events to friends as they aren't in to Stargate or Sanctuary, so just say I'm going away for the weekend due to work and because I can't talk about my job as I work on "sensitive systems" and having signed the offical secrets act no-one asks any questions as they know I can't talk about work, cool....

Also I've also posted in on the GABIT website forum for a running partner for the AT5 event if anyone is interested...my ID on the GABIT site is secret squirrel.

Comment

well, thought all was set for my trip, but found out i have to check out every little train station in the uk and ireland to make sure the station and trains are accessible. what a pain in the tush. oh well, better safe than stuck somewhere. guess i know how i'll be spending all of sunday. have to make sure there are accessible taxis at each place so i can see the sights i selected rather than just sit at the station . oh well, just glad i'll have the opportunity to travel. a month from tomorrow i leave.

Comment

I often tell people 'oh, some friends and I are meeting up'...and leave it there.
                        That's pretty much how I put it. I don't say I'm traveling all the way over to Europe to see an actress from a sci fi show, I'm going to see my family - first and foremost - then heading over to London to catch up with some friends from online at a conference - I try to not use the word convention coz they straight away assume it's a Star Trek thing and everyone dresses up like Klingons.
                        I cannot tell you how many times I have walked away from family events or ignored "friends" who have taken the absolute mickey out of me for attending the SG cons. So I give up and skirt around it.
                        Biggest pet peeve is when you get peeps who mock you for doing these things then they go to Twilight cons and concerts and footy games and dress up - hello pot...meet kettle.
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

"heeland coos"

So, anyone else having people question them as to why on earth they are going to London in February?
                          Yep--my friends think I'm nuts! They just don't understand my obsession

Comment

Just realizing that I leave for London one month from today. Sooo much to do.
                            ME TOO! Yikes--better get on the ball here. Trying to get my darn shoulder back in shape so I can use my backpack.

Comment

For people I've had this discussion with before, I tell them it's when the con is scheduled, so that's that. (Although they usually assume conference, and I tend to neglect to correct them. Apparently 'convention' translates into thousands of rabid fans milling about in crazy costumes and partaking in heated battles over minute trivia while dropping their entire life savings on over-priced memorabilia, whereas 'conference' is more well-behaved and sensible people gathering to discuss topics of mutual interest and benefit. *blinks*)

For anyone else, I'm going to a charity event, and meeting up with mates before and afterwards -- that seems to work well too!

I'm not sure as to whether the PB M&Ms were a seasonal treat or if they're here to stay in Ontario, but I'll have a gander the next time I'm in the danger zone. *ahem* ...candy aisle.

...is it a bad thing that I seem to have (hopefully only temporarily!!!) misplaced my flight itinerary? *takes breath* It's got to be in here somewhere... *pats passport to reassure myself it hasn't grown legs and walked off to join the AWOL paperwork*
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

In the past they have signed pictures I took myself. I think that is ok but best to ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X