GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
    How's the tap water at the Ren? Can I bring my aluminum water bottle and refill? Or is that a no-go?
    I don't drink tapwater in foreign countries, although I'm pretty close to the UK. I do use it for brushing teeth etc. IIRC, the water smells really chloride-like (if that's english, I mean the smell of a swimming pool .. lol). I like Antoa's tip.

Hopefully, at AT5 they will also sell the gabit mug. I think it was 18 GBP and for the whole weekend you could get free drinks in it (during the day, not in the evening). I only had tea, but I think it was also for coffee and softdrinks.

And I don't understand the huuuuge cups you use in the US. Don't you guys have to pee all the time? Lol.
    sigpic

Comment

How's the tap water at the Ren? Can I bring my aluminum water bottle and refill? Or is that a no-go?
      There's nothing wrong with it as such its safe to drink, but I find it tastes a bit different to the water here in Scotland. So I think it comes down to personal preference.
      Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      32oz of "soda"? That's nearly a litre... and that's in one cup? As in, one serving? 91g of sugar? Yes, I just googled all that.

Woah...
      Holy hannah!! That's a lot of "soda"!!

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
        Oy......would it be better to fly into Gatwick from the U.S.?
        Unless the flight is at least $150 cheaper and you're up for a lot of travelling, I would say no. To get from Gatwick to Heathrow (the airport where the AT5 hotel is) you'd need to get the train (between £15 and 20 depending on which one you take and 45 minutes of a journey) to London Bridge or Victoria and then take the tube to Heathrow - about an hour and 15 mins. Also, if you go back that way, the privatised train system in this country is so ridiculous that even I find getting from London Bridge to Gatwick difficult and confusing.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
        You're more than welcome to hang out with the lot of us before and/or after AT5 in London. We have some loose plans so adding another would be wonderful if you're able and up to all the walking we most likely will be doing.

And tube fares going up you say? By how much?

I've my Oyster card yet from last year that is still loaded (as far as I know) so plan on reusing that and topping it up as needed. Hopefully money on the card doesn't 'expire' after a certain period of time. If so, I'll be buying another. Meh.
        That would be awesome - thank you!

Here are the 2011 tube fees: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

My travelcard for work has gone up by £7! *grumbles*

I'm not sure about Oyster balances expiring but I've had cards that I've not used for a year and a half and they've still been fine. Even if your balance has gone, you can still just top up the same card - you needn't buy a new one.

Tap water in London is completely fine. We have really hard water here so it doesn't taste fabulous but it's all clean

Comment

Originally posted by myblackrose View Post
          Unless the flight is at least $150 cheaper and you're up for a lot of travelling, I would say no. To get from Gatwick to Heathrow (the airport where the AT5 hotel is) you'd need to get the train (between £15 and 20 depending on which one you take and 45 minutes of a journey) to London Bridge or Victoria and then take the tube to Heathrow - about an hour and 15 mins. Also, if you go back that way, the privatised train system in this country is so ridiculous that even I find getting from London Bridge to Gatwick difficult and confusing.
          When we arrived at Heathrow for AT4 the plane had to sit on the runway because we hadn't been assigned a gate.
          I nudged Anke and pointed out the window because we were waiting right next to the Ren.
          That is how close the Ren is to the airport.
          Mamasue, I would choose Heathrow over Gatwick for the con.

For my other trips to England I usually fly into Gatwick. It's a very short flight for me but if you fly long distance and find a good deal then maybe the treck from Gatwick to Heathrow is worth it.

Comment

From the snow point of view, Gatwick is no different to Heathrow. Both had to cancel flights and Gatwick was completely closed down at one point

We just all have to hope it doesn't snow in February

Comment

Yes, I do hope it won't snow that weekend..
              I work in the tourist industry, we send Au Pairs to the US for example and had a flight right after Christmas... It was total chaos, instead of flying on Dec 27, they had to fly on Jan 1... ^^

We got to keep thinking positive, it'll all work out!! I guess getting from the airport to the Ren will a lot easier - especially when it snows - than from Gatwick.. You might have to plan in lots more time to get from Gatwick to the Ren by bus when there's snow on the streets...

Does anyone know in which Terminal I will arrive (I fly with Lufthansa)? Or else I'm gonna check the Heathrow webpage and see what I can find out

About the water... I always do it like Antoa, first and foremost because I don't like water without gas, so I will keep some big bottles in my room and have a small one to fill up and carry around with me

Comment

Well we all know how Awesome Amanda is - I reckon she got it arranged that we'd have the snow in December instead of February

*crosses fingers*

Comment

LOL True!!! The Queen of the Universe can do something like that.. Maybe she'll get a lil help from Sam who could borrow the Touchstone from the people of Medrona only for that weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                    32oz of "soda"? That's nearly a litre... and that's in one cup? As in, one serving? 91g of sugar? Yes, I just googled all that.

Woah...
                    i drink diet, so no sugar
                    and yes, nearly a litre of soda, although once you put the ice in it's less than that.

it's my morning coffee. can't start the day without my diet coke
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

one of the runways at heathrow is maybe 100 yards from the hotel. Literally across a parking lot, road and bit of space at the airport.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                        1. I don't drink tapwater in foreign countries, although I'm pretty close to the UK. I do use it for brushing teeth etc. IIRC, the water smells really chloride-like (if that's english, I mean the smell of a swimming pool .. lol). I like Antoa's tip.

2. Hopefully, at AT5 they will also sell the gabit mug. I think it was 18 GBP and for the whole weekend you could get free drinks in it (during the day, not in the evening). I only had tea, but I think it was also for coffee and softdrinks.

3. And I don't understand the huuuuge cups you use in the US. Don't you guys have to pee all the time? Lol.
                        1. I guess I'll try it and see how it goes. An empty water bottle doesn't add any weight to my suitcase.

2. That's a lot of caffeine!

3. It's hard to find anything small in the US! Even a small coffee is 12 oz(350+cc)! (a 'serving' of coffee is 6 oz). I mostly drink water-- I carry around a Sigg bottle and refill it as needed throughout the day.

Originally posted by Jumble View Post

We just all have to hope it doesn't snow in February
                        sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

3. It's hard to find anything small in the US! Even a small coffee is 12 oz(350+cc)! (a 'serving' of coffee is 6 oz). I mostly drink water-- I carry around a Sigg bottle and refill it as needed throughout the day.

Sooo have to resist commenting......... wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                            Sooo have to resist commenting......... wrong thread
                            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

So true! I remember during TSE in Vancouver, we walked to the Timmie's in the morning and I ordered a small coffee thinking it would be just the right size for the caffeine I felt I needed to wake up. I paid and was handed this mini-cup of coffee. I actually turned to Ames and asked if my order was wrong (her being the Cdn and all) and she informed me that the their small was vastly different than ours. I was expecting more than two quick gulps but, oh well. Live and learn. And buy medium or large next time.

And yes, I usually take my Nalgene bottle with me on trips, but I may leave it at home this time. I'd rather just buy a bottle of water and refill that at the tap. Takes up less room and I can always recycle it later when finished.

Oh, and scary thought. If we can't make it into Heathrow because of the weather, who's to say Amanda might? Wonder what the G4 would do in that situation?

Comment

A couple of things:

1) did you forget Amanda told us she is the Empress of the Universe
                                2) For transportation to the REN. Make your way to the buses (follow the signs), once outside find the pole that lists bus 111. It will drop you off just across from the REN. Ask the bus driver. It is free the buses have a deal with the Heathrow hotels

Have a great trip. I'll sure miss you all this time. Be sure to post so we know what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                                X