Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myblackrose View Post
    Happy New Year everyone!

Phew, so after a hellish journey home for Christmas (BUY SNOWPLOWS, HEATHROW! *shakes fist) I am soooo ready for 2011!

Still not sure whether I'll be able to afford a ticket (moving house in London is hella expensive!) but I'd be really excited to hang out with anyone who's here for a few days before/after and whatever you've got going on! I see you're doing the Jack the Ripper Walk - I did that when Sanctuary started in '07 and if you get a good one it's really awesome!

I'll also happily offer my services of actually understanding this vast metropolis if anyone needs any info for staying in/getting around London after the weekend

Tube fares and VAT are going up on January 4th so take another look if you've already budgeted...
    You're more than welcome to hang out with the lot of us before and/or after AT5 in London. We have some loose plans so adding another would be wonderful if you're able and up to all the walking we most likely will be doing.

And tube fares going up you say? By how much?

I've my Oyster card yet from last year that is still loaded (as far as I know) so plan on reusing that and topping it up as needed. Hopefully money on the card doesn't 'expire' after a certain period of time. If so, I'll be buying another. Meh.

And McD's? I havent been there or Burger King, for that matter, in *months*! Too many calories and fat for me. I'd rather not get my full quota of calories for the day in one meal, thank you.

Comment

You count calories? No cheese bread for you.
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

gotta get those big diet cokes somewhere without paying hotel prices. although it will be a toss between that and my starbucks addiction.i hate hard decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
          gotta get those big diet cokes somewhere without paying hotel prices. although it will be a toss between that and my starbucks addiction.i hate hard decisions.
          i usually lay in a stock of 20 oz bottles...although what I really love is a fountain drink over ice....i soooo miss that in the UK.

and the mcd's here don't have donuts
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i don't remember them having donuts here either-in the states. they have cookies(which aren't too bad if fresh) and danish in the morning. no donuts. i like the big cups of pop on ice too. had bottles in my room, but all they have are the little glasses in the rooms, and no straws. in vancouver i kept reusing the same mcd cup. just cleaned it out every night. that was green wasn't it.

Comment

my most valuable resource is often a 32 oz cup that i'll resuse as much as i can.....and when the maid helpfully tosses it i'm not happy

when i get home the first thing i do is hit a drive thru or convenience store and get me a nice big fountain drink

sigpic

Comment

How's the tap water at the Ren? Can I bring my aluminum water bottle and refill? Or is that a no-go?
                sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

i've got a really big plastic one with a lid. i should bring that, if i can find room in my suitcases. i'm bringing so much stuff that will be left there. will have plenty room going home(as long as i don't buy too much in ireland, wales, scotland and the rest of england). want to get something at the auction, so probably won't have any souvenir money left.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                    How's the tap water at the Ren? Can I bring my aluminum water bottle and refill? Or is that a no-go?
                    i used the tap water to make tea/coffee and take pills in my room and had no problem. i'm sure their water filtration system is just fine, probably better than at home even. i'm used to lake michigan water and didn't notice any odd taste like i have in some other states.

Comment

i think it depends on how touchy your tummy is. first time i was there i drank lots of tap water and had a bit of an upset tummy, second time i stuck more to bottled and did better.

the water is good and clean, just has different bugs than my system is used to.

they also have ice machines, you just have to search for them. they're about 8 inches wide and just little blue shelves in the walls

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mamasue9 View Post
                        Oy......would it be better to fly into Gatwick from the U.S.?
                        Considering the Ren is practically at the end of Heathrow's runway and Gatwick is clear across town, no

I just don't trust tap water in general, especially in a foreign land. Every country treats their water differently and there may be things in there that the locals are used to, but your system might not like.

What I did at both AT3 and AT4 (and plan on doing again) is walking up to the gas station/convenience store and buy a small bottle of water and a huge 2 llitre. I just keep the small bottle with me and fill it up with the big bottle that I leave in the room. You can get a huge bottle for less than 2 GBP or something ridiculously cheap like that.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                          You count calories? No cheese bread for you.
                          Meh. Okay, I don't count. Just guesstimate and do a few extra sit ups at night to make up for it.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with it. To me water is water, but I know everyone's tummy is a bit different.

The strangest tasting water I've drunk before was full of hydrogen sulfide and tasted like spoiled eggs. Yeah, gotta be *real* thirsty to drink that...while holding your nose at the same time.

i used the tap water to make tea/coffee and take pills in my room and had no problem. i'm sure their water filtration system is just fine, probably better than at home even. i'm used to lake michigan water and didn't notice any odd taste like i have in some other states.
                          Heh. We drink from the same Lake I see.

Comment

yup. i noticed that before. i'm about 10-12 miles due west of downtown. where are you?

some of the water in new england tastes funny. i hate well water. yuck!

Comment

32oz of "soda"? That's nearly a litre... and that's in one cup? As in, one serving? 91g of sugar? Yes, I just googled all that.

Woah...
                              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

yup. i noticed that before. i'm about 10-12 miles due west of downtown. where are you?

some of the water in new england tastes funny. i hate well water. yuck!
                                Yeah, the well water was usually only when camping when on the trail and it's usually just a quick, desperate drink.

I'm on the Indiana side of the Lake about 30 min from Downtown. *waves*

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                                32oz of "soda"? That's nearly a litre... and that's in one cup? As in, one serving? 91g of sugar? Yes, I just googled all that.

Woah...
                                Yes, this will be your first time in 'fat America'. We'll take it slow.

Comment

Working...
                                X