GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
    If you decide to visit York, like anywhere you should check out the tourist information centre. Particularly good are York Minster, The Shambles, Castle Museum and whilst I haven't done it, the Jorvik Centre is always very popular and there is generally a queue to get in here - you may need to pre-book that one. I don't recall what the others are like for disabled access, although since the Shambles are outside, you would be fine with that, although it is very narrow, probably wide enough for two people to walk side by side. If you get into the Minster, check out the Rose window, which is directly behind and above the area where you pay - I believe there might be different prices because you can go up into the tower, although that is definitely not disabled friendly.
    actually i found out that there is a viking festival in york, the 19th -26th. if i change my flight dates and can get a caretaker for my mother who will agree to me being gone 2 1/2 weeks, i would love to be there for that. the good parts aren't until the end of the fest. they have a viking fight and actually burn a boat - cool! have to think about that. am really disappointed that Longleat is closed for the winter. when i first discovered it they said they were open in feb., but they aren't. Darn! but i keep finding more things i'd like to see with all my research. oh, i can't decide. i want to go to ireland! i think. yes, i do.

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
      *bounces in*
      Happy New Year!!!!
      *hugs thread*
      See y'all soon!
      *bounces out*

*screeches to halt, remembering other part of the intented post*

So ... keeping neatly on-topic, we'll be spreading the joy of bluey goodness once again at AT5 (*bounces excitedly*), and I was wondering if it would be possible for any attendees coming from North America to bring along a box or few of blue jello to the event... Just find me on Thurs/Fri to donate your boxes -- thus freeing up space in your luggage for all the lovelies that you may acquire over the weekend...yay auction time!
      (The jello will likely be made on the Fri evening whilst the lucky people are enjoying themselves at the cocktail party, so as to ensure its readiness for the ball As everyone who has been a bluey-minion in the past is either unable to attend or is currently counted amongst those aforementioned lucky peeps , anyone who'd like to aid in on the tradition of the making of the bluey goodness is welcome to join in the fun!)

For those of you who haven't attended a GABIT event before, there is, of course, a story behind the now-tradition of sharing the joy of bluey goodness -- which I will gladly share in bouncy fashion as requested

So yes, anyone with a bit of room to spare in the luggage, if you could bring along a box or two for the cause, that would be highly awesome! Thanks in advance

...and... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
      *unpauses the bounce-out*
      Hi Ames I've got a couple of boxes of the bluey goodness that I'll bring with me.

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

I had a couple of questions I am hoping you old timers can answer. Is there a grocery store near the hotel? And what are the options for getting from Heathrow to the hotel? Does the hotel have a shuttle or do you have to come up with your own transportation? If so, what are some of the solutions some of you have used that you would recommend?

I appreciate any help you all will provide!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by penjab View Post
          I had a couple of questions I am hoping you old timers can answer. Is there a grocery store near the hotel? And what are the options for getting from Heathrow to the hotel? Does the hotel have a shuttle or do you have to come up with your own transportation? If so, what are some of the solutions some of you have used that you would recommend?

Here's a site with information about transport from Heathrow to hotel. You can use a Hoppabus, which costs 4 GBP or a free bus. They are both explained on the site and both quite easy once you're there.

I don't know about a grocery store.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
            Here's a site with information about transport from Heathrow to hotel. You can use a Hoppabus, which costs 4 GBP or a free bus. They are both explained on the site and both quite easy once you're there.

Thanks for that and thanks for asking penjab I was wondering the same thing

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!
            sigpic
            Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by penjab View Post

There is the infamous gas station just across the road from the Ren which does have a couple of things like sandwiches, sweets, coke/water but there is also a small grocery store if you just walk past that gas station.

In addition to that there is a small (yet bigger than the grocery store) Tesco's down the street. It is about 3/4 of a mile walk.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

Take the FREE bus!! The info for it is near the bottom of the page and very reliable for the many times I've used it.

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
                There is the infamous gas station just across the road from the Ren which does have a couple of things like sandwiches, sweets, coke/water but there is also a small grocery store if you just walk past that gas station.

In addition to that there is a small (yet bigger than the grocery store) Tesco's down the street. It is about 3/4 of a mile walk.
                I must of missed it then. I only know of the gas (petrol) station a bit kiddy corner from the Ren and the Three Magpies pub. And the airport. The other way boasts lots of hotels and over the bridge is another small town where I found a decent Indian restaurant and a few small, local shops. Nothing major or big like a Tesco's. Hmm...

And Ames, you already know I'll be stashing a few boxes of the bluey goodness in my bags.

40 days!!

Comment

Happy New Year!!!

Getting really excited - NEXT MONTH!!

Also, thanks for the bus and grocery store info!!

Comment

there is a McDonalds a block or 2 to the right from the ren.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                      I must of missed it then. I only know of the gas (petrol) station a bit kiddy corner from the Ren and the Three Magpies pub. And the airport. The other way boasts lots of hotels and over the bridge is another small town where I found a decent Indian restaurant and a few small, local shops. Nothing major or big like a Tesco's. Hmm...
                      It's not one of your big Tesco's, just a small version but they did have fresh produce and just about everything one might need.
                      There is an ATM outside and some restaurants are in that area as well.
                      It's just that it is bit of a walk from the Ren and if you don't know it's there you'd probably not walk in that direction.

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                      there is a McDonalds a block or 2 to the right from the ren.
                      Ah, yes, McD. If you must. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post

Ah, yes, McD. If you must. ;-)
                        I can't believe that No. 1 Son and I spent three weeks in Canada last summer and never went near a McD's. If you knew him, you would see what a feat that was!!!

Mumsey
                        For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

ah yes, but sometimes you just get tired of pub or hotel food...and for me? dying for a good soda that's more than 6 oz of warm pepsi
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I always laugh when I see American tourists from the cruise ships head into McDs or Starbucks. I want to take them by the elbow and lead them to real food and coffee. Like Mojo.

That said, I did get some Starbucks with some of the girls after AT4- but we don't have eggnog lattes in New Zealand so it *was* new I also went into Maccas once for the free wifi, and I got a donut. McDonald's in New Zealand don't sell donuts, so that was new experience too
                            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!

Phew, so after a hellish journey home for Christmas (BUY SNOWPLOWS, HEATHROW! *shakes fist) I am soooo ready for 2011!

Still not sure whether I'll be able to afford a ticket (moving house in London is hella expensive!) but I'd be really excited to hang out with anyone who's here for a few days before/after and whatever you've got going on! I see you're doing the Jack the Ripper Walk - I did that when Sanctuary started in '07 and if you get a good one it's really awesome!

I'll also happily offer my services of actually understanding this vast metropolis if anyone needs any info for staying in/getting around London after the weekend

Tube fares and VAT are going up on January 4th so take another look if you've already budgeted...

Comment

Oy......would it be better to fly into Gatwick from the U.S.?

Comment

Working...
                                X