GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    That's just mad! You can't walk ten paces in the UK without somebody calling you 'luv', 'hun' or 'sweetheart'! It's just a friendly greeting
    But I have to say, your view of London is vastly different to ours
    Oh wait...I wasn't saying that was the case in London or that I have any negative views of London...I was just saying that here in Australia it's something we have to be very careful about...especially in a work environment...which includes shops and other public places. And that doesn't mean I agree with it either...which is why last night I got home all flustered from the meeting coz the laws are just so wrong...too many contradictions and loop holes and far too litigious. Like I said to a friend last night, I don't have any issues with being called "luv" or "darl" or even the occasional wolf whistle but it only took one person to be offended by it to have it outlawed. What ever happened to majority rules? That btw was a rhetorical questions as I already know, it doesn't...it's the minority that rule. Just saying is all...I love London...and you can call me luv any old day!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
      Oh wait...I wasn't saying that was the case in London or that I have any negative views of London...I was just saying that here in Australia it's something we have to be very careful about...especially in a work environment...which includes shops and other public places. And that doesn't mean I agree with it either...which is why last night I got home all flustered from the meeting coz the laws are just so wrong...too many contradictions and loop holes and far too litigious. Like I said to a friend last night, I don't have any issues with being called "luv" or "darl" or even the occasional wolf whistle but it only took one person to be offended by it to have it outlawed. What ever happened to majority rules? That btw was a rhetorical questions as I already know, it doesn't...it's the minority that rule. Just saying is all...I love London...and you can call me luv any old day!
      I obviously didn't phrase that properly...... I was referring to your praise of London and it's transport systems Most people in London, and in fact all over the UK, have had problems with transport and it gets moaned about a lot. It's actually nice to hear that visitors think it's good

I personally think there is just too much political correctness around these days. Time was, if someone called you something you didn't like you just asked them not to and that wood be the end of it. Now it seems people kick up a huge fuss and have to get the whole thing outlawed I know there are people who are insensitive about how they speak to/treat their work colleagues, and they should definitely be stopped, but that shouldn't mean that nobody can use a term of endearment/friendship for fear of being officially reprimanded. It's reaching ridiculous levels here. It's sad because it makes people wary of others and isolates people unnecessarily I think.

Comment

Duck alignment almost complete

Soon guys...

Becks

Comment

[quote=eh-t;11326151]

lol.

I could understand the subway, most places don't have them, but never on a plane before? Was it a fear of flying or just that you never had a particular desire to go far enough away to require a flight?
          Some fear. Some lack of fundage. I hadn't been more than a few hundred miles from home and had always driven. Except for one trip in 1980 to Washington state by train. Still don't travel nearly as much as I would like. I need to just get up and go by myself instead of traveling in groups.

Originally posted by mandysg1 View Post
          oh, but you survived canada!
          Barely!
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

I obviously didn't phrase that properly...... I was referring to your praise of London and it's transport systems Most people in London, and in fact all over the UK, have had problems with transport and it gets moaned about a lot. It's actually nice to hear that visitors think it's good

I personally think there is just too much political correctness around these days. Time was, if someone called you something you didn't like you just asked them not to and that wood be the end of it. Now it seems people kick up a huge fuss and have to get the whole thing outlawed I know there are people who are insensitive about how they speak to/treat their work colleagues, and they should definitely be stopped, but that shouldn't mean that nobody can use a term of endearment/friendship for fear of being officially reprimanded. It's reaching ridiculous levels here. It's sad because it makes people wary of others and isolates people unnecessarily I think.
            First, I think we all tend to complain about things in the place we live. Often it isn't until we hear an outsider's take on it that we realise how good we have it.

I tend to agree on the PC these days. Our professional organisation came out with a list of rules for offices several years ago. When I looked at the rules, they were technically being broken in our office every day. While we have to be sensitive to others we have to use our common sense as well.

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post

Soon guys...

Becks
            Did someone say ducks?

[QUOTE=rderoch;11328053]
            Originally posted by eh-t View Post

Some fear. Some lack of fundage. I hadn't been more than a few hundred miles from home and had always driven. Except for one trip in 1980 to Washington state by train. Still don't travel nearly as much as I would like. I need to just get up and go by myself instead of traveling in groups.

Barely!
            I had assumed you travelled in groups so that if you got in trouble .... say stuck in the snow in Canada ..... you'd have someone to eat to survive. Isn't that why you had such an in depth discussion on cannibalism with AT, MW and DK?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              First, I think we all tend to complain about things in the place we live. Often it isn't until we hear an outsider's take on it that we realise how good we have it.

I tend to agree on the PC these days. Our professional organisation came out with a list of rules for offices several years ago. When I looked at the rules, they were technically being broken in our office every day. While we have to be sensitive to others we have to use our common sense as well.
              I find more and more that we are not given credit for having any common sense, therefore TPTB feel the need to put nit-picking little rules in place to guide us

I had assumed you travelled in groups so that if you got in trouble .... say stuck in the snow in Canada ..... you'd have someone to eat to survive. Isn't that why you had such an in depth discussion on cannibalism with AT, MW and DK?
              Maybe I need to encourage Sarai to fatten up

Seriously though.......... Canada isn't really that dangerous a place? Is it? The thing that worries me most is that there might be another heatwave like last year. That wood see me hiding in my air-conned room for most of the week

Comment

Maybe I need to encourage Sarai to fatten up
                LOL! Luckily for Sarai, there will be no snow. There is rarely ever snow in Vancouver in the winter so in July you are pretty safe.

Seriously though.......... Canada isn't really that dangerous a place? Is it? The thing that worries me most is that there might be another heatwave like last year. That wood see me hiding in my air-conned room for most of the week
                Vancouver is generally not known for heatwaves although they have had some unusual temperatures in the
                last year. The odds are against prolonged hot weather though.

As for danger, you are pretty safe there as well (except for the danger of fainting when you see MW ). It is a major city so there is unlikely to be much wildlife about (except at the Abnormals' Ball) and you would take the same precautions you would travelling anywhere. Stay out of dodgy areas (right, PengYn and SamJackShipLover?), don't carry cash in your pant's pocket on the skytrain (right, Neep?) and avoid looking directly into Martin's eyes and you'll be fine.

Comment

That's just mad! You can't walk ten paces in the UK without somebody calling you 'luv', 'hun' or 'sweetheart'! It's just a friendly greeting

But I have to say, your view of London is vastly different to ours

I think it's more a culture thing. Where I work, I hear the men I deal to at my tables calling me 'sweetheart', 'honey', etc.. While it does grate on my nerves I usually for the most part chalk it up to how they grew up and them not really meaning anything bad by it anymore than they do with their flirting. For the most part I let it pass, but one night it was just irritating me too much and I actually corrected a guest at my table. I pointed to my name badge and said with a sweet smile, "My name's Brenda..." to which he immediately backpedaled and apologized. So, I don't take offense too much unless the context of the situation is vastly different. Then...them's fighting words!!

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post

Soon guys...

Becks
                  YAY!!!! The awesomeness of duck alignment is great news!!

What month were you talking about? I don't think Vanctuary really 'heats' up that much at all given their location. The area is considered a temperate rain forest yes, but that has an entirely different meaning from a tropical one.

When I was there a few summer's ago, we had pleasant days of 60-70F with some days of sun, but there were also quite a few days thrown in there where there was rain and even a thunderstorm.

I doubt there would be (what I consider) a heat wave in Vancouver. Do bring a rain jacket of some sort though and get out there and have some fun!! Don't let a few raindrops spoil your holiday fun.

Comment

LOL! Luckily for Sarai, there will be no snow. There is rarely ever snow in Vancouver in the winter so in July you are pretty safe.
                    That's ok then

Vancouver is generally not known for heatwaves although they have had some unusual temperatures in the
                    last year. The odds are against prolonged hot weather though.
                    That's a relief! We're being forecast a record breaking hot summer here and I'm really not looking forward to it. I'm red-haired and fair-skinned, I just melt when the sun comes out

I'm guessing Martin's smile might have the same effect

As for danger, you are pretty safe there as well (except for the danger of fainting when you see MW ). It is a major city so there is unlikely to be much wildlife about (except at the Abnormals' Ball) and you would take the same precautions you would travelling anywhere. Stay out of dodgy areas (right, PengYn and SamJackShipLover?), don't carry cash in your pant's pocket on the skytrain (right, Neep?) and avoid looking directly into Martin's eyes and you'll be fine.
                    I'm determined not to faint, I woodn't want to miss anything by being unconscious

Sounds pretty much like normal precautions in any city Sorry for the dumb questions, but like I said, I've never been out of the UK, I'm a real newbie at this world travelling lark

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    I think it's more a culture thing. Where I work, I hear the men I deal to at my tables calling me 'sweetheart', 'honey', etc.. While it does grate on my nerves I usually for the most part chalk it up to how they grew up and them not really meaning anything bad by it anymore than they do with their flirting. For the most part I let it pass, but one night it was just irritating me too much and I actually corrected a guest at my table. I pointed to my name badge and said with a sweet smile, "My name's Brenda..." to which he immediately backpedaled and apologized. So, I don't take offense too much unless the context of the situation is vastly different. Then...them's fighting words!!
                    That's pretty much how I deal with it. You can tell when someone is meaning to be offensive, and mostly they aren't. A gentle reminder like that is often all that's needed
                    YAY!!!! The awesomeness of duck alignment is great news!!

What month were you talking about? I don't think Vanctuary really 'heats' up that much at all given their location. The area is considered a temperate rain forest yes, but that has an entirely different meaning from a tropical one.

When I was there a few summer's ago, we had pleasant days of 60-70F with some days of sun, but there were also quite a few days thrown in there where there was rain and even a thunderstorm.

I doubt there would be (what I consider) a heat wave in Vancouver. Do bring a rain jacket of some sort though and get out there and have some fun!! Don't let a few raindrops spoil your holiday fun.
                    I guess it's all relative, I'd consider anything above 60F to be very hot. I'm happy to go out in the rain, prefer it to a hot day anytime

Like I said, newbie!

Comment

Vancouver did have a lot of hot weather last summer. If you read the latest interview with AT and DK, they talk about filming "Mumbai" in the parking lot of the studio and it was hotter there than in the real Mumbai.

Jumble, your questions are not dumb. In fact it is the smart thing to do to ask as many questions as possible about a strange city or country so you can be a well prepared traveller.

Comment

Vancouver did have a lot of hot weather last summer. If you read the latest interview with AT and DK, they talk about filming "Mumbai" in the parking lot of the studio and it was hotter there than in the real Mumbai.
                        Ah, that's where I got it from, I think it was mentioned on the podcommentary

Jumble, your questions are not dumb. In fact it is the smart thing to do to ask as many questions as possible about a strange city or country so you can be a well prepared traveller.
                        Thanks

But the thing I really want to know about Vangroovy is.......

Just demonstrating the use of the duct tape

Comment

Ah, that's where I got it from, I think it was mentioned on the podcommentary

Thanks

But the thing I really want to know about Vangroovy is.......

Just demonstrating the use of the duct tape
                          I think the ball at MTM is called the duct tape ball! Your skills "wood" be handy there!

Seriously, feel free to ask your questions. Just look back in this thread to see how many questions the North Americans asked about buses, Oyster Cards, the tube and such for AT4.

Comment

Thanks

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as July gets closer

Comment

Gabit is definitely good at teasing. They're about to announce the date for AT5 and seem to enjoy prolonging our agony.

Very soooon now Gabiteers....very soon! about 3 hours ago via Tweetie

AT5 info will be released shortly. about 1 hours ago via Tweetie

How about any minute now.....? 15 minutes ago via Tweetie

...of course I could go and make a cup of tea first. Then again that would be cruel... 9 minutes ago via Tweetie

Arggh!

ETA: And the date has been announced!!!

AT5 – REVERBERATION
                              11th – 13th February 2011

http://www.gabitevents.co.uk/at5.html

Sorry for stealing your thunder too. Just crazy excited right now!
                              Last edited by Celandine; 23 March 2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                                Gabit is definitely good at teasing. They're about to announce the date for AT5 and seem to enjoy prolonging our agony.

Very soooon now Gabiteers....very soon! about 3 hours ago via Tweetie

AT5 info will be released shortly. about 1 hours ago via Tweetie

How about any minute now.....? 15 minutes ago via Tweetie

...of course I could go and make a cup of tea first. Then again that would be cruel... 9 minutes ago via Tweetie

Arggh!
                                I do get teased enough at the Events by my staff, the other members of the G4 AND Amanda. So it's good to get my own back...in the nicest possible way of course.

But the upside is I got promises of chocolate on twitter...yum...

So I've announced the date for AT5 and the FAQ is on the website for those who wish to read.

I'm off to bed...I've got a book launch tomorrow and I'm pooped from a long 15 hour day week and working all weekend. Got to get me some ZZzzzzs.

Bye peeps,

Julia
                                G4
                                To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X