No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

convenience could be the largest factor. I mean, look at us, how many attendees actually drive themselves? I'd say a mere fraction. we're all dependant upon public transport. And, for some, for example me...dude public transit is a rarity here. Our bus service has just expanded, but prior to that it ran 6a - 6p m-f and that was it. we have no tube, we have no train.

we had to learn how to navigate the london transit system. And i'm sure i'm not alone. having it at the ren....anyone should be able to handle 'take hoppa bus # whatever to the ren' where as if it was at a hotel across town....it'd be 'get to the tube station, buy a pass on the red line to this stop, transfer to the brown line to this stop, etc'

it'd be brutal and confusing
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
      As for why the Ren was chosen, it could have come down quite simply to the fact it was available on the dates chosen for AT1 and they offered very good discounts for the hotel rooms. As an attendee at other cons in the Heathrow area, which have had larger audiences, the organiser/or hotel, very rarely offers any sort of discount.

After that, if you get a good service and the event has worked, why change? If people like the intimate setting, why change?
      I think the Ren is the perfect location. I've been to other conventions at hotels in the area and the Ren beats them all, especially for an event the size of AT1 - AT4.
      I love the huge lobby where there is enough room for just about everyone.

The Radisson across the street has like two sofas in the lobby and that's it. The Thistle equally sucks as it has no lobby worth mentioning. I've been to several events at those hotels and about the only place you could sit down was inside the main hall.

I find it really relaxing to be able to hang out in the lobby with people. Huge lobby, lots of sofas, lots of chairs. The Ren rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
        I think the Ren is the perfect location. I've been to other conventions at hotels in the area and the Ren beats them all, especially for an event the size of AT1 - AT4.

The Radisson across the street has like two sofas in the lobby and that's it. The Thistle equally sucks as it has no lobby worth mentioning. I've been to several events at those hotels and about the only place you could sit down was inside the main hall.

I find it really relaxing to be able to hang out in the lobby with people. Huge lobby, lots of sofas, lots of chairs. The Ren rocks!
        There is also the fact that the Thistle has absolutely appalling staff - very unhelpful, and I'm not just speaking about one experience, but multiple. In fact I don't think I've ever had a good stay there and it is only usually for the convenience of the event I'm attending. The Ren generally has very helpful, friendly staff - there are exceptions, again I had a couple of poor experiences at AT4, but they eventually got dealt with so I was happy by the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          convenience could be the largest factor. I mean, look at us, how many attendees actually drive themselves? I'd say a mere fraction. we're all dependant upon public transport. And, for some, for example me...dude public transit is a rarity here. Our bus service has just expanded, but prior to that it ran 6a - 6p m-f and that was it. we have no tube, we have no train.

we had to learn how to navigate the london transit system. And i'm sure i'm not alone. having it at the ren....anyone should be able to handle 'take hoppa bus # whatever to the ren' where as if it was at a hotel across town....it'd be 'get to the tube station, buy a pass on the red line to this stop, transfer to the brown line to this stop, etc'

I have absolutely no problems with the Ren...just threw out the 'what if' scenario to see what others might say. Though I haven't checked out the other hotels along the strip, the Ren is not only convenient for the airport, with an awesome lobby for lounging, but the bus service to and fro is amazing. One thing I have to say about London...their public transit rocks. I learned quickly how to use the underground and the time I spent in the city, we navigated between the different locations and stops like pros. Besides, I still have money left on my Oyster card and going back to London before or after the con is definitely in my plans.

Comment

london's public transit does rock. I love it. i love that i can get anywhere with a little bit of walking and tubing/bussing or training

I have no issue navigating it just takes a bit of learning and knowing when to ask questions.

It also has a fond place cause it was in Victoria station when i first got called 'luv' (as in, what can i help you with luv'

kinda fun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Kit Kat Lady View Post
              I don't post very often and generally just lurk through the forums, but thought I would stick my 2 cents in on this particular thread. Obviously it's not my decisiion as I'm nothing to do with Gabit, nor am I one of the staff, but I have been a steward for them in the photo and auto session for all of the AT events.

One of the big things that people like about the size of this event is the intimacy and the fact that they are never rushed past Amanda, either at the photo or the auto stage. There is obviously a very tight schedule that Julia normally works very hard on so that everyone gets their chance to chat to Amanda, and we as stewards then have to try and keep to that schedule.

If the numbers were increased, it would restrict the amount of time people have with Amanda, and it would also lose that intimacy that people like so much. I also then think that people wouldn't enjoy the event as much as they do.

As mentioned in the next post from SamJackShipLover, one the reasons that Gabit have possibly been able to increase the numbers for MTM is because of the addition of 1 day - this means that things can be spread out more to accommodate a similar type of event.

Personally, I prefer the smaller events and the fact that we don't have to push people along by having a massive queue of people constantly at each other's heels wanting their 20 seconds with the guest. I have been to that type of event, even though I may have only paid to pick up their autograph, but I still feel cheated in some way and don't feel as though I can claim to have really "met" them.
              A valuable 2 cents.

That's one of the things I meant by the slower pace of Gabit events. I went to the Creation con last April and in my photo op with MS and AT they were pushing me forward before the poor woman in front of me was even out of the way.

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post

I agree the Ren is an excellent location. I'm not sure how it is for the locals but for those of us flying in it is easy to get to (and free). It is conveniently located to head back to the airport to catch the tube. As you said, the lobby is perfect for mixing and I have always found the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are nice, the price is reasonable and the set up for meals, Q & As, etc is great.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                No need to apologise Chelle. I'm sure no one takes it as criticism of Gabit. You and others who voiced a concern are, I think, just saying what we have all thought. I had the same thoughts as you when I filled out my form. While those of us at AT4 are thrilled to have the opportunity to pre-register, the fanbase is a very caring and compassionate group of people. Therefore I think we all feel for those who weren't at AT4 and therefore did not get the opportunity.

I also think, as others have said, that there will still be a good number of tickets available as many people cannot attend everytime for a variety of reasons. Even if those who can pre-register all sign up, that doesn't mean they can all come. Once a date is announced some who signed the slip will be eliminated due to a conflict with other events in their lives while others won't be able to get holidays. No doubt payment will be reqiured well in advance of the date and those who pre-registered but can't afford to come will drop out. Gabit will still have a registration system with a waiting list so as the pre-registered people drop out others will fill those spots.

As antoa said, it is a common practice in conventions as well as other businesses to reward loyalty. Rderoch, however, has a point that many other conventions have much bigger crowds. As others have said there is no perfect system but Gabit are in the best position to know the numbers and they obviously think this is a system that can work. Nothing is cast in stone and I'm sure they will review the practice after AT5.

As for increasing the number at the event, that is always a possibility but beyond the fact that most fans like the slower pace of Gabit events, we have to think of the Gabit folk and AT herself. It is already a huge amount of work for the G4 and the Gabit staff. Adding people and days would add a tremendous amount of work for them. AT is already one the most generous people in giving time to her fans (not that I'm any expert on this as I'm not part of any other fandom but it seems to me she is probably the most generous). Can we really ask her to spend more time away from her friends and family?
                Ya know we're all forgetting one fact. This is Amanda's fault! If she wasn't do darn wonderful, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                I keep reading preregging as pregging and wondering what you're all doing talking about pregnancy so much...

I had never been on a subway before AT2. Or a plane for that matter.
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                Anon

Comment

id never been outside the us or canada

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE]
                    Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                    Ya know we're all forgetting one fact. This is Amanda's fault! If she wasn't do darn wonderful, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
                    LOL.

I could understand the subway, most places don't have them, but never on a plane before? Was it a fear of flying or just that you never had a particular desire to go far enough away to require a flight?

Comment

I've never been outside the UK before

I'm not sure what's most scary - the 11 hour flight or meeting Martin

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                        I've never been outside the UK before

I'm not sure what's most scary - the 11 hour flight or meeting Martin
                        I think it's neat that events like this result in folks travelling abroad and expanding their horizons.

Oh, and Jumble, the scariest part is the bears ..... and the beavers! The moose can be pretty aggressive too! We love rookie travellers to our country. Rderoch should tell you about her conversation with AT, MW and DK.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          I think it's neat that events like this result in folks travelling abroad and expanding their horizons.

Oh, and Jumble, the scariest part is the bears ..... and the beavers! The moose can be pretty aggressive too! We love rookie travellers to our country. Rderoch should tell you about her conversation with AT, MW and DK.
                          Knowing those three, I'm petty sure I don't want to know

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post

Oh, but you survived Canada!
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                              One thing I have to say about London...their public transit rocks. I learned quickly how to use the underground and the time I spent in the city, we navigated between the different locations and stops like pros. Besides, I still have money left on my Oyster card and going back to London before or after the con is definitely in my plans.
                              I have two favourite cities in the world right now London and Melbourne. London has awesome public transport...why can't we adopt their system...would make life a lot nicer for commuters!
                              I love the Ren btw, just putting forth my few cents worth...and my Oyster card is actually in debt...so I'll have to get a new one next time I visit!
                              It also has a fond place cause it was in Victoria station when i first got called 'luv' (as in, what can i help you with luv'
                              Oh wow...I just had to laugh when I read that because last night i had a 2 hour meeting at work about work place behaviour and what you just said, would be viewed upon here as harassment. Yep...you can't touch anyone, say g'day luv or darl to anyone without it being viewed as being harassment. Yeah...I'm still trying to figure it all out myself.
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                I have two favourite cities in the world right now London and Melbourne. London has awesome public transport...why can't we adopt their system...would make life a lot nicer for commuters!
                                I love the Ren btw, just putting forth my few cents worth...and my Oyster card is actually in debt...so I'll have to get a new one next time I visit!

Oh wow...I just had to laugh when I read that because last night i had a 2 hour meeting at work about work place behaviour and what you just said, would be viewed upon here as harassment. Yep...you can't touch anyone, say g'day luv or darl to anyone without it being viewed as being harassment. Yeah...I'm still trying to figure it all out myself.
                                That's just mad! You can't walk ten paces in the UK without somebody calling you 'luv', 'hun' or 'sweetheart'! It's just a friendly greeting

But I have to say, your view of London is vastly different to ours

Comment

Working...
                                X