GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
    But .. seriously ... no date yet huh? Good thing I have lots of practice in the whole patience is a virtue thing (though I don´t know how to spell it lol).
    I don't do subscriptions. Stalking is much easier for me.

I think the G4 are teasing us again. The classic 'dangle a carrot' trick to get us wondering and all worked up.

Seriously, I think their main focus has been SE and MTM and as soon as plotting for both ceases and they're able to take an audible breath, they're sure to let us know.

Also, I wouldnt worry too much about tickets even with a date. If you signed the advance ticket agreement form at AT4, you would be informed by email before the sale date to inquire if you were interested in purchasing. Your sure to be guaranteed a seat and one hopefully closer to the main stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
      I don't do subscriptions. Stalking is much easier for me.
      I think the G4 are teasing us again. The classic 'dangle a carrot' trick to get us wondering and all worked up.
      Seriously, I think their main focus has been SE and MTM and as soon as plotting for both ceases and they're able to take an audible breath, they're sure to let us know.
      Also, I wouldnt worry too much about tickets even with a date. If you signed the advance ticket agreement form at AT4, you would be informed by email before the sale date to inquire if you were interested in purchasing. Your sure to be guaranteed a seat and one hopefully closer to the main stage.
      As you know, I was at AT4 and did fill out one of those forms but please don't get me wrong here, I kinda wish they didn't have those forms. I like the old way of getting a ticket by being online when they go on sale...it makes it fairer to everyone, even if they don't all get a ticket. But if even half of those who attended AT4(and going by the chatter, I'd say a huge portion of attendees), filled out the form and they did purchase a ticket for AT5, that puts those who missed out on AT4 tickets at a disadvantage. I dunno. I mean it was awesome in a way that Gabit did it but if I hadn't been at AT4, I'd think my chances of getting a good seat if one at all, would be diminished with AT4 attendees getting first preference. Like I said, please don't take this wrong. It's just something that has been on my mind since pretty much the day I filled out the form.
      Oh...and stalking is good! In here that is. Not in RL!
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
        As you know, I was at AT4 and did fill out one of those forms but please don't get me wrong here, I kinda wish they didn't have those forms. I like the old way of getting a ticket by being online when they go on sale...it makes it fairer to everyone, even if they don't all get a ticket. But if even half of those who attended AT4(and going by the chatter, I'd say a huge portion of attendees), filled out the form and they did purchase a ticket for AT5, that puts those who missed out on AT4 tickets at a disadvantage. I dunno. I mean it was awesome in a way that Gabit did it but if I hadn't been at AT4, I'd think my chances of getting a good seat if one at all, would be diminished with AT4 attendees getting first preference. Like I said, please don't take this wrong. It's just something that has been on my mind since pretty much the day I filled out the form.
        Yeah, I've wondered about that as well. I think that if I hadn't been able to get to AT4 for whatever reason, but wanted to go to AT5 I'd be kinda irked about the pre-registration. Except I don't think there really is any 'fair' way of doing it. The usual way of being online when tickets go on sale favours those who have the luxury of being online when the tickets go on sale and have fast internet connections. One way previous attendees have an advantage and the other people who can be online at a certain time with a fast internet connection have an advantage. It's all fairly arbitrary either way of doing it.

Just my thoughts too
        sigpic
        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I'm being purely selfish I know in saying this right now, but I'm certainly glad Gabit decided to do the pre-registration. I know it leaves those who weren't at AT4 at a disadvantage, but personally I'm not as stressed or worried in my wondering if I'll beat the rush the day the tickets go on sale. For AT3, I was able to buy tickets for myself and another up to 8 wks before the event. Yes, they were still available even though we sat in the very last row, but at least we were able to attend, even so late in the game. For AT4 though, the tickets sold out in minutes. For this reason, and this reason alone, I'm glad for the pre-registration. Tickets are not sold and given out based on your past attendance to a Gabit event, so first come, first served. I'd be afraid with the popularity of AT events as of late, that what if I wasn't able to get a ticket this time around? It could happen! So yeah, not happy about the selfishness part, but it's Gabit's decision for the pre-registration so I'm going with it.

Comment

Rewarding current, loyal customers is a common and smart business decision.

Creation conventions (the only other ones I've been to besides GABIT and Comic con) always sell tickets to the next years convention during the convention. Though they announce the dates and you fill out a form with your current seat number. You have the option to get a closer seat (if there is one available) on a first come, first serve basis. You also have to pay right then.

This is not an unusual way of doing things by any means.

The chances of *everyone* that was at AT4 being able to go to AT5 are very slim.

Comment

The week I have been missing Europe, even before the new round of posting on facebook I want to be back in London. Or Prague. Or Salzburg, Manchester, Sheffield, Nuremberg, Dresden, Amsterdam...
              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post

Creation conventions (the only other ones I've been to besides GABIT and Comic con) always sell tickets to the next years convention during the convention. Though they announce the dates and you fill out a form with your current seat number. You have the option to get a closer seat (if there is one available) on a first come, first serve basis. You also have to pay right then.

The chances of *everyone* that was at AT4 being able to go to AT5 are very slim.
                Ah yes! Quite true! Thanks Antoa for reminding me.

I remember both times I was at the Creation event in Chicago where at the end of the con, they offered the chance for those wanting to pre-purchase their tickets for the next year's event, even before what guests were announced or even booked. It was like taking a blind leap so I was never too interested. I actually recall talking with someone who sat in the first row and congratulated her (jokingly) on her amazing seat to which she said she's been coming for a few years and each time she pre-registered, she had moved up a few rows till she was where she was at that day.

So yes. It's been done before and I applaud Gabit for joining in on the practice. Besides, with our pre-registering, we're guaranteed to know who the guest of honor will be so no leaps of faith needed here.

I wonder if Gabit will offer up the pre-registration for SE now too? Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                  The week I have been missing Europe, even before the new round of posting on facebook I want to be back in London. Or Prague. Or Salzburg, Manchester, Sheffield, Nuremberg, Dresden, Amsterdam...
                  Yep! That's probably why I started going through the multitude of pics and video I took over in England. I miss everyone so much! *squishy hugs all around*

I have a blue jello making vid as well which is cool. Not the big dance vids up on FB right now where everyone is in it, but still awesome to watch. Heck, it's bluey goodness in the making!

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                    Yeah, I've wondered about that as well. I think that if I hadn't been able to get to AT4 for whatever reason, but wanted to go to AT5 I'd be kinda irked about the pre-registration. Except I don't think there really is any 'fair' way of doing it. The usual way of being online when tickets go on sale favours those who have the luxury of being online when the tickets go on sale and have fast internet connections. One way previous attendees have an advantage and the other people who can be online at a certain time with a fast internet connection have an advantage. It's all fairly arbitrary either way of doing it.
                    Just my thoughts too
                    I understand what you mean about not being able to be online at the time...for those who for example had to be at work...I had to set the alarm and be up at 2 am to be online...which I did...and then went to work later that morning. I guess with everyone being in different timezones that's gonna always be a problem.
                    Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    I'm being purely selfish I know in saying this right now, but I'm certainly glad Gabit decided to do the pre-registration. I know it leaves those who weren't at AT4 at a disadvantage, but personally I'm not as stressed or worried in my wondering if I'll beat the rush the day the tickets go on sale. For AT3, I was able to buy tickets for myself and another up to 8 wks before the event. Yes, they were still available even though we sat in the very last row, but at least we were able to attend, even so late in the game. For AT4 though, the tickets sold out in minutes. For this reason, and this reason alone, I'm glad for the pre-registration. Tickets are not sold and given out based on your past attendance to a Gabit event, so first come, first served. I'd be afraid with the popularity of AT events as of late, that what if I wasn't able to get a ticket this time around? It could happen! So yeah, not happy about the selfishness part, but it's Gabit's decision for the pre-registration so I'm going with it.
                    I wouldn't say it's selfish...I'm kinda glad too...but I guess I'm just thinking about those who weren't there and thinking what if I didn't have that opportunity to pre-register. I mean I'm still not even 100% sure I will be there yet. There are a lot of things I have to take into consideration. And I guess that will be the case for others who have pre-registered too...I was just saying that...I dunno, maybe I'm conflicted...it's a good thing and maybe not so good. Sorry.
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

This is starting to become a trend here too with being able to pre-register for future event...like we did at the Stargate 2010 event where we pre-registered for the Gate to the Sanctuary event. I get the whole concept of rewarding loyal customers but that can also bite you back.
                      I'm sorry if my comments have offended anyone. That certainly wasn't my intention. But I do get it. I understand the business side of it. I myself have pre-registered for AT5 and for GttS...I'm not having a go at anyone. Just voicing a concern...which I regret now.

Good thing I didn't say everyone!
                      I miss London. That city has some special appeal about it. I really want to go back and see more...and while back in Germany, I'd lie to see what's left of the Berlin wall.
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

there is no 100% fair way to do it. pick a time zone for online only sales, and someone somewhere will be upset because they're at work and can't buy the tickets or it's the middle of the night, or they're on dialup and are at a disadvantage to those on dsl....no matter what they do, there is not totally 'fair' way.

was AT4 even sold out? I mean I think it was close but...look at MTM, it's either not sold out or has just sold out this week.

The rewarding of loyal customers is something that even gatecon did. you could buy a ticket to the next year's con at the current one. i also think there are less and less people that can and can afford to go to every single con. theoretically i could have gone to AT4, but i chose not to. And there are people each year that decide to take the next year off. things happen and you end up with a rotating pool of attendees

all they can do is do the best that they can, which i think they do.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've got a spare bed this weekend cos my house mate is away, pop round!

This is starting to become a trend here too with being able to pre-register for future event...like we did at the Stargate 2010 event where we pre-registered for the Gate to the Sanctuary event. I get the whole concept of rewarding loyal customers but that can also bite you back.
                          I'm sorry if my comments have offended anyone. That certainly wasn't my intention. But I do get it. I understand the business side of it. I myself have pre-registered for AT5 and for GttS...I'm not having a go at anyone. Just voicing a concern...which I regret now.
                          Please don't regret it! I'd been wondering about it as well.

I imagine it will also make things a lot easier for the G4 because they won't have so many people all trying to buy tickets at the same time. I think AT4 was very close to sold out, but equally there was lots and lots of duplicates in the queue which must create a headache to sort out. This way seems to have fewer headaches. It's just if some people who didn't go last time decide that they're not going to even buy a ticket because they haven't got a chance of being in the front few rows or going to the cocktail party it might hit the extra sales, but honestly the weekend is so much fun without those things!
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                          My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            was AT4 even sold out? I mean I think it was close but...look at MTM, it's either not sold out or has just sold out this week.

Yes, it was sold out and I totally agree, they are doing the best they can.

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                            I imagine it will also make things a lot easier for the G4 because they won't have so many people all trying to buy tickets at the same time. I think AT4 was very close to sold out, but equally there was lots and lots of duplicates in the queue which must create a headache to sort out. This way seems to have fewer headaches.
                            There were duplicates.
                            I registered and then realized I could not pay online. Somehow I got rerouted back to the registration site.
                            A while later Becky came online and explained that if that happened it meant that you did not get a ticket.
                            Anke and I had already booked our flights and we both couldn't believe we didn't get a ticket.
                            Anyway, we waited for two days and then got an email from registration that they had cleared some of the double and triple bookings so we did get tickets afterall.
                            However, the event was sold out. It said so for months on the old website.

That said, I know conventions who've been doing the pre-registration thing for years.
                            Fedcon in Gemany's been doing it for at least 13 years.
                            Wolf in England has been doing it at least since 2003. I seem to remember a pre-registration line at SG4.

There are pros and cons for every conceivable way of handling registrations so I figure it's all up to the organizers.
                            Last edited by Fresh_Horse; 20 March 2010, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I was very bummed when I heard about the prereg. I attended 2 and 3, but skipped 4 (though I wish I would have been there). They had never done the prereg before.

The creation cons are a very different animal. They sell thousands of seats for each convention, as opposed to 300. So if 200 people prereg for the next year (which I did every year until last year and now David Hewlett will be in Chicago ), there are still 1500 seats available. If 200 people prereg for Gabit, that leaves 100 seats up for grabs among all the other fans.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              there is no 100% fair way to do it. pick a time zone for online only sales, and someone somewhere will be upset because they're at work and can't buy the tickets or it's the middle of the night, or they're on dialup and are at a disadvantage to those on dsl....no matter what they do, there is not totally 'fair' way.

The rewarding of loyal customers is something that even gatecon did. you could buy a ticket to the next year's con at the current one. i also think there are less and less people that can and can afford to go to every single con. theoretically i could have gone to AT4, but i chose not to. And there are people each year that decide to take the next year off. things happen and you end up with a rotating pool of attendees

The time zone issue is definitely a problem for many. But so is the fact that some people work days, some nights. There is no perfect time to do it.

The registration for SE was a good system. There were still time issues, but you didn't have to fully fill out a form to get your registration in, just select the number of tickets and submit. That helped even things up I think, even with a slow connection.
                              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                              Anon

Comment

I can see both sides...I'm just hoping I get one for AT5!! I am not only looking forward to experiencing the event but i really want to meet all the people I've met in the past year or so online!

And I understand the loyalty thing but there is now way I could afford to go every year as much as I'd love to! It would be at least $2500 for the flight alone!

*sigh* Oh to have a sugar daddy
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X