The Fist bump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzieb View Post
    And I agree as well. How do we know "the girls" didn't do a little fist bump of their own? Or at least a little 'wink-wink nudge-nudge' when they saw Sheppard and Beckett. Just because we didn't see it don't mean it didn't happen.
    Great defense.

"It's not sexism, because the girls probably did a little fist bumping of their own!".

Originally posted by DrJenniferDex View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't have in that particular instance, but only because neither Beckett nor John appeal to me, but my friends and I have done that on work situations.

Imagine being one of only three girls, and one of the two straight ones, on a building team in Mexico with about a dozen guys, the majority of whom are absolutely gorgeous. Fist bumps did occur.
    Yes, but you weren't the military commander and these guys' commanding officer, now were you? You were also not on foreign soil on a mission at the time of the fist bumping either, now were you?

It was inappropriate for the characters to do it at the time.

I'd like to add something to what Kymeric quoted in his post. When did 'we' decide what the fist bump meant? We don't know, because we're not the writers or the actors, you're assuming it means that they're being sexist pigs, because you clearly want to believe that.
    I love some of the defenses in this thread. So it's not a "Yay! Hot girls!" fist bump? Then, pray tell, what is it? "We've got such nice weather today!"? I love it how people try to come up with the most ridiculous interpretations of what happened in the episodes to defend the actions of certain characters sometimes.

No, Lucius didn't rape those women at all, I bet. He married them all and never touched them sexually, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      I'm sorry, we said the fist bump meant this when?

We're specifically assuming that it means "Dude, chicks! Sweet!". And we're saying that they're men 40 years of age. And behavior like that is beneath them... like 20 years beneath them.

What's just "dude behavior" in your eyes is sexist and immature in the eyes of others... especially coming from men supposedly 40 years of age.

So if you were the military leader of atlantis and came upon an all-male squad of hot guys, you'd bump fists or high five your girlfriend? In the field?

The problem is that he does it at the wrong times and it's not realistic. Someone like him would've been court marshaled 29 times over in the real world. His behavior is beneath a man of his position, especially in the field.

Yes, it's entertaining but personally, I can only suspend my disbelief for so much.
      Anyone remember that its a tv show? Its called escapism folks. If it annoys you that much dont watch it and get out more, spend your time on somthing more meaningful, instead of spending god knows how long making post after post putting the show you apparently enjoy down over trivial little things.

Comment

Especially if it's something tiny like a gesture most people wouldn't notice until a few more viewings.
        sigpic

Comment

men are men. hetero men like women. i really liked the moment

Comment

I didn't notice it when I watched it. Its such a minor point, I'm stunned that it has become such a big deal, because it isn't. Like, at all. If this is some sort of episode ruinier, then it sounds a lot like you are looking at this show with a ridiculously nitpicking eye. If you really want to look for justification then look at it as Becket humoring Sheppard. Or something.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
              Anyone remember that its a tv show? Its called escapism folks. If it annoys you that much dont watch it and get out more, spend your time on somthing more meaningful, instead of spending god knows how long making post after post putting the show you apparently enjoy down over trivial little things.
              So if it's something that bothers us if people do it in real life, it shouldn't bother us on a TV show because being a TV show means they have carte blanche to do anything they want?

Especially if it's something tiny like a gesture most people wouldn't notice until a few more viewings.
              A lot of viewers noticed on the very first viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                men are men. hetero men like women. i really liked the moment
                But that doesn't mean all men act like that.

FAII,

Can I ask, which bit are you objecting to specifically? The fact that Sheppard and Beckett did it as "people", or the fact that it was put in by the actors and filmed?

They're very different things.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with a number of folks here who have first pointed out that this is a relatively minor moment in the show and was really meant to be for a laugh if what we have seen in the past from TPTB holds true. Reading some deeper meaning into it is something that is coming from the viewer and not anything that I believe the writers intended.

When I saw it my first reaction was laughter and then I looked at my hubs and said "They are such guys." His response was "Well even in the military guys do still get to be guys if they are decent about it" and he was in charge of many soldiers for 10 years...so I am going to take his word for it when it comes to the real life aspect of it

The other thing I am going to agree with here is this IS a TV show meant to entertain. So while I too was a bit overall disappointed in how the Female team was written and portrayed throughout the episode... I do realize that the intent isn't to *teach me* any moral lessons or be a *real life drama*. Its supposed to make me laugh, make me feel anticipation, and in this case for this episode hopefully make me jump a few times. But overall I am supposed to be entertained for an hour and come away from that time with a smile and a desire to watch next week.

However, if the fist bump ruined the entertainment value for a viewer then I can see why it would be an issue for them. I just can't personally identify with it
                  Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                    Can I ask, which bit are you objecting to specifically? The fact that Sheppard and Beckett did it as "people", or the fact that it was put in by the actors and filmed?
                    1) The fact that Sheppard and Beckett (the characters) are doing it in their positions and in that situation.
                    2) The fact that out of all of the people involved in filming, post and everything in-between, they all seemed to agree that it wasn't at all inappropriate.

40 year old men both on screen and in real life should know better than to engage in frat boy-esque behavior.

Comment

So, because you're apparently perfect and would never do that, everyone else should agree with all of your opinions, in addition to being perfect, too?
                      sigpic

Comment

1) The fact that Sheppard and Beckett (the characters) are doing it in their positions and in that situation.
                        2) The fact that out of all of the people involved in filming, post and everything in-between, they all seemed to agree that it wasn't at all inappropriate.

40 year old men both on screen and in real life should know better than to engage in frat boy-esque behavior.
                        Ya know... Guys are Guys no matter what the age and even no matter what the job.

In the Real World I work with a lot of men in suits that carry briefcases. But when they think they aren't being watched and they are talking about something *guy-related* they become for that moment *just guys* even in the work place. It doesn't detract from the fact that they are intelligent men and they have respect for me or all the other women in the office as a rule. Its just a moment of *Guy-ness* for lack of a better word.

Guy really are allowed to be Guys in this world. Just as we women are allowed to be women If we hold every single person to some political correct standard 24/7 then sadly every single one of us is going to fail. me..you.. every one.

The fact is, TPTB touched on a moment that the GUYS in the audience would probably identify with and laugh at. Also some of us women would laugh to and roll our eyes. I know I did It didn't take anything away from the Female Team IMHO...and that truly is just my opinion. It also didn't diminish the Guys either IMHO. They had a Guy moment. then they got back to the business at hand.

To ME part of the fun of SGA is that it just really doesn't always take every second of the show too seriously. There can be tidbits for the audience to just sit back and laugh at or roll their eyes at. Its all part of the *camp of Stargate* The fun, the identifying moment that make you feel like any one of those characters could maybe be someone with whom an audience member could hang out with.

So while I truly can appreciate that you take it a lot more serious I don't think it was ever meant to be a big deal or meant to be disparaging to the women in any way or to the characters themselves in anyway
                        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

1) Then by all means scathe them. I don't think it was appropriate, I would never do such a thing, BUT a lot of people do, and Shep is a typical pilot so it really seems quite in character, if childish of him to do it, despite the fact that TECHNICALLY his position should mean he wouldn't.

2) Well this is the thing, WAS it inappropriate to film it? If it really happens, why is it inappropriate? Maybe it's GOOD that we're all thinking "christ what a child" about Shep?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The fist pound was a hilarious moment, not sure but i believe they also exploded it too. But i would have to watch it again to make sure.
                            http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                              Could you clarify this, please ? I don't remember Epiphany that well.
                              In "Epiphany", 3 seconds of taping on the outside of the Door of Suckage is 12 minutes of footage on the other side. Teyla claims the ratio is 250 to 1, with McKay surprised but agreeing. Now, according to my Earth calculations, 12 minutes to 3 seconds is actually 240 to 1. Later, Elizabeth asks how long they expect to be gone, real time. Rodney says one hour of searching will be months behind the Portal. Except with his stupid screwed up math ratios, it's really only equivalent up to about ten days. TEN DAYS, PEOPLE. God, TPTB just need to pull out a damn calculator, this is 6th grade math.

When the team reunites with Sheppard inside the portal, Lizzie says "we were only gone for a few hours!" While Sheppard is all "I was with them stinkin' hippies for 6 months!" Though, even using the screwed up New Pegasian Math for Dumb@sses, six months is roughly equivalent to 18 hours in the not screwed-up world, which is most definately NOT "a few hours".

Unless, of course I've been going about this all wrong and this planet only (randomly throwing out numbers here) has 8 days to a month and 20 hours to a day -- which you never know because this show's writers tend to make up crap as they go.

And no, I am not the only person that has noticed this.

Comment

Personally, I didn't notice that, but I tend to ignore the math and look up technobabble later.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X