Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone catch 'David Magee' on the glass when Sheppard is talking to Rodney? LOL...I had to google who that was...

das
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      lol

if you're gonna spoof csi, at least do it 'right'

the driving rock music was annoying to the extreme, the wraith knowing how to apply hollywood quality makeup? not likely.

rodney was annoying to the extreme - as per usual.

it was just bad. cheesily bad.

it was like it was a 'see mr glassner we can do your csi' flavored with a couple snarks at the fans and reminded me of a few too many 'low budget grungy shootemups' movies from the 80's
      ...well since I know both you and I like our CSI...it does make it a bit hard to watch someone try to copy it into the Sci Fi genre LOLOLOL

But after I got over that....and the whole cliche *Loner Detective who beats himself up daily* I actually really got into this episode

Being the Hard Rock Chick of the Mod Team has its advantages...I knew all the music Buwhahahaha and since I am married to a Country geek I even knew the Cash tunes.

So for me not only was the episode basically just fun, it rocked In all actuality I wish they would use more of today's music in the show, it really gave the scenes a different feel.

The wraith guy was cool and again a very cliche *Silent but deadly bad ass* but still cool All the jazz with the make up and walking over the dead guy from next door was all really perfect for the character.

I can't say I was all that impressed with how they brought McKay and Woolsey into things. I didn't buy McKay as a *Bad Cop* to Woolsy's *Good Cop* so they might have done a bit of different editing there to help that part of the story along. But I liked how they brought the John of this AU up to speed on things and Todd was brilliant, I don't think its easy making psychotic believable to begin with and then to do so while made up as a wraith and I don't even care for the Wraith all that much.

The shooting and editing overall was really good, with the cuts and music. The Make Up WOW!! the guy who played the young Wraith looked amazing down his back and such. Great attention to detail!!

The couple of scenes that made me roll my eyes were the poker game and the same ole same ole McKay/Zelenka bicker-fest. I thought the snap-shot B&W shots a bit of over kill and I could done without the Sopranos and I am so beyond sick of McKay and Zelenka bickering that I had to go get coffee at that moment.

Overall though I am really glad that they tried to do an earth based episode with some flair and drama and they tried some new editing as well as music to pump things up. So I am really happy with this episode
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        can i have the last 60 minutes of my life back please?

complete and total self-indulgent drek
        you should have known that the episode was a "nothing episode" after reading our posts on the leaked episodes.

Comment

What were all the differences in the Vegas universe compared to our universe with John?

I caught that in Vegas he never married and that the Afghanistan fiasco was because he went after a medic that was probably his girlfriend, where ours went after Holland.

Was there anything else? It would have been nice to get all this back story on our John and not an alternate one.
          there’s a decent living to be made in the selling out of ideals--Darren Hayes

Comment

Folks this thread is for discussion of VEGAS ONLY please confine your comments to this episode. If you would like to comment on the final episode we have the speculation thread for those who have NOT seen it and the Unsanctioned thread for those who have.

Thank You
            TameFarrar
            GateWorld Moderator
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

What a fantastic episode! A little bit SGA, CSI, with a little Quentin Tarentino at the end.
              The CSI aspect was dead-on. The way the scenes were framed, the camera positions, where the actors were positioned, the way their faces were lit on one side and in shadow on the other, and the yellow lens in a scene was straight from CSI Miami.
              The music also was incredible! Great choices! It went well with every scene. Sounded great in surround!
              I also enjoyed seeing the two actors from the Sapranos.
              And it's always good to have the Wraith Todd in any episode. After all, he's the only Wraith with the design around his eyes that looks like Ace Frehley from KISS.
              I love "in jokes". The reference to "Star Trek The Experience" being closed when speaking to Robert Picardo was a nice touch.
              When I saw the previews for this episode, it wasn't clear how in the world this alternate reality would be justified. After watching it three times, I finally realized that this was actually the reality of the Rodney McKay from the previous episode where he made a machine to pull power from an alternate reality and ended up pulling his doppelganger through. This is the doppelgangers reality. Pretty creative!
              This was entertaining on many levels.
              It's too bad the Emmy Awards don't recognize such creativity on science fiction shows.
              Congratulations on an excellent episode!

Comment

This is an episode I need to think about. My first impression - I liked it. But I need to let it soak in, to really think on the implications.

Good stuff
                * CSI homage - I'm a fan of the original CSI and I liked the camera techniques used here

* Joe Flanigan - my 50" plasma smoked every time he was on screen *fans self* His portrayal of this broken, weary Sheppard was terrific. He was stiff, withdrawn. All of the casualness and charm was missing. Most telling to me was the little smile as he drove off with the money in the front seat. Then McKay's words got to him.

* David Hewlett - he was hot in that suit. I loved this McKay (I love the regular one too). This one was snarky still but confident, put together. No panic or frantic handwringing. I could see him being the leader of a team. He pushed when he had to and didn't back down. I thought the wedding ring was a nice touch.

* David Nykl - an ep is automatically better when he's in it. He really cleans up well. I just adore him.

* Todd - again, as always, he makes everything better. Creepy, demented, and a joy to watch onscreen

* George the Wraith - particularly that make up scene. I was fascinated that the tattoos were on his back along with those ridges (didn't notice the lack of nipples until das pointed it out - thanks!). And manipulating their minds to win at poker was pure genius. I really liked the way they used his POV to show the attack and how he got there (and how miserable he was).

I loved this look at Sheppard - how tiny changes can have such an impact. This man was so broken that he was basically a shell. He still got up every day to chase bad guys, but he was simply existing instead of living. I liked how this was a story of his redemption and sacrifice. He almost missed it. But the John Sheppard that risked everything to save someone he loved hadn't been completely destroyed yet. He turned the car around and did the right thing.

I found the choice to not tell us if Sheppard lives or dies an interesting one. Why leave it ambiguous? Cooper could have easily written him gasping for breath, closing his eyes, his chest stilling. He could have also written him gasping as helicoptors land or the Daedalus beams him up (my personal canon on the ending). Instead he leaves us with Sheppard alone, staring into the starfilled sky with Solitary Man playing. To emphasize his sacrifice? To show we won't know the next thing that happens in this particular reality? To give us something to talk about on here?

I choose to believe Sheppard lives because he's Sheppard and McKay is McKay. Rodney knew John was out there. John would know they'll have to clean up the scene. John is tough enough to hang on. His car has a locator beacon on it. The Daedalus is in space. He's the only life sign around. They saved him. I'm sure of it.

Nice set up for next week. A part of me is super excited. The other part of me cried every time they said "Tune in for the next to last episode" all day today. *hugs show*

Originally posted by wm_1987 View Post
                What were all the differences in the Vegas universe compared to our universe with John?

I caught that in Vegas he never married and that the Afghanistan fiasco was because he went after a medic that was probably his girlfriend, where ours went after Holland.

Was there anything else? It would have been nice to get all this back story on our John and not an alternate one.
                Our Sheppard did not get anyone else killed and was not dishonorably discharged. This Sheppard got 4 (?) military and 8 civilians killed trying to rescue his girlfriend. Our Sheppard comes from money. This Sheppard is in debt up to his eyeballs to Mikey (McKay doesn't mention anything about Sheppard's family in this ep so I assume his background is different).
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana
                My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  Reminds me of the car James Garner drove in "The Rockford Files".
                  Yeah...it was a mid- to late-70s, early 80s Camaro or Firebird. I didn't catch whether it was a Chevy or a Pontiac, but I'm sure someone else will catch that on second viewing.
                  Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Really great episode, no doubt about that IMO. I really liked the different portrayal of John, even though at his core, he was still the hero we know and love.

And seeing those two guys from Sopranos was very cool.

This was definitely a different kind of Atlantis episode, but in a good way. I liked how they tried something different, and did it well. It was also nice that they were able to tie this episode into next week's finale.
                  I thought it was cool seeing Brad Wright, MGM's Charles Cohen and Stargate musical composer Joel Goldsmith in the poker scene.

Comment

call me a sheppard/weir fan but im thinking that maybe that field medic was Dr. Weir.

Comment

This episode was fantastic! I was hooked from beginning to end - it was definitely CSI-esque with a bit of an x-files feel and seeing the alternate reality characters and how they interacted was unbelievably entertaining. TPTB were brilliant with this episode!

I do have to pick on some of the CGI, but budget limitations are understandable...

As far as ranking, I have to say this goes in the top twenty for my combined sg-1 and atlantis favorites which will soon be complete when atlantis airs its final...

Comment

As a homage to CSI I think this episode worked, but as the second to last episode of Atlantis I was quite disappointed. Had this been a stand-alone episode earlier in the season I probably would have enjoyed it much more.

I enjoyed the different filming techniques and locations, and enjoyed the Cash song at the end, but it often felt like the stylistic moments came at the expense of plot progression and coherence.

As the second to last episode the extreme focus on Sheppard was frustrating in part because I don't care much for the character, but mostly because I was hoping to see much more of the whole cast.

Still, I'm looking forward to the finale next week, where I hope the whole team gets a good showing, though that may be difficult with the guest stars.

sigpic

Comment

Wow, I was so excited to get some new Stargate after the break, and they give me Vegas? I'm sorry, I just hate these kinds of episodes. It's like the last episode of Star Trek Enterprise. They fast forwarded to a future date where the characters were totally different from the characters I had grown to love over the previous 4 years. Now Stargate gives me alternate universe versions? OK, maybe it would have been enjoyable if they were, I don't know, traveling through stargates? I feel cheated somehow. Oh well, I'll wait patiently until next week. I'm sure it'll be back to normal. *sigh*

Comment

The episode Vegas was definitely CSI-esque and in my opinion it was downright fantastic! I loved every aspect of it, the music was well chosen; the way it was filmed, the sets, the actors (so handsome in suits and ties) the cameos by Brad Wright, poker pro Todd Brunson, Atlantis composer Joel Goldsmith, and MGM exec Charlie Cohen.

Thank you Robert Cooper! Just absolutely awesome! It has replaced my favorite for this season! Vegas freaking ROCKED!!! Now I am even sadder that there is only one episode left! But I am grateful that the DVD’s will soon be available and we still have The SG Movies and SGU the series to look forward to in 2009! Wahoo!!

Cheers
                            Last edited by Ishshah; 02 January 2009, 11:34 PM.
                            Patricia Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                              I know i'm probably going to get shot for this but i thought that Vegas was the best episode ever of Stargate Atlantis!!!

Now i just want to know if anyone else agrees with me? Or at least think it was up there in the top 5?
                              I agree with you a 100%!

It was utterly awesome and unique! I loved it from beginning to end!

Wish there was more!

Cheers
                              Patricia Lee

Comment

I understand why some wouldn't like this as it goes outside the box for normal gate episodes. I LOVED it! I never watched CSI but I understand the comparison. I think this was one of the better episodes of the series. Tight directing, editing, camera work, writing and acting. Great work overall and more suitable to a 2 hour movie than a 1 hour episode.

Shame this is going away when they just showed us how good they can be. We don't always need space battles and non familiar locals to make good stargate. Vegas works just fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X