This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
    It's not that I think DH was bad. I'm just not a fan of in-your-face acting. I much prefer actors who are more subtle iin their character portrayal. I think subtle is the last word I would select when describing DH. It's a style choice, that's all.
    I know what you mean. I think I described it in my post - Joe Flanigan is the type you like and it is the reason why I think he and David are so perfect acting partners. I am sorry they are not using it more but Joe and David have so different acting styles, that they are a perfect duo But I would love to see them using it in scenes like the one on the pier in The Shrine than in "McKay, fix it!", "I can´t!, "Fix it!" scenes.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post

On a shallow note, Wet!Shep, PJ!Shep and Fleece!Shep... *sigh*
      You are so predictable cazz

Anywho....Now i'm back from the footie i can talk some more about this before i forget again...

Well what happened to the "Oh were gonna see alot more of Teyla this season" from JM.......Well not really seeing it so far.....That's two eps in a row she's hardly been there or said anything

And why can't someone else get the oh I'm dying episode.....Why does it always have to be McKay......Folks say he's the best thing about Atlantis??? Well i say it's about time the others got a chance to flex their acting muscles for a change....I didn't really get that emotional vibe....I didn't really feel anything actually.....Not even a whimper of anything....

And what's with the shoving the McKeller in our faces......Isn't this the same PTB that said no main characters would get paired off together......So what is this....Did they just forget their own rule when it suits them??? And the I love you bit at the end....WTH....They haven't had that many scenes together,have they.....I thought the main characters never fall in love.....I thought the were to stay bachelors and spinsters all their lives...So what's all this about.....I hope to god we don't see any more McKeller any time soon....

But I did love Keller in this ep...I thought she was great,well apart from the McKeller garbage....

And of course Woolsey is always great...I love Woolsey.....And Jeanie as always Is awesome too....I like her so much better than Rodney!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

I almost loved this episode. I would've forgiven it the flaw of being the Tao of Rodney in reverse if we hadn't had a puzzling declaration of love come out of nowhere. But that really did mar the episode for me.

DH was brilliant here, his acting was excellent and touching. His wide-eyed confusion was painful to see. It was great to see Jeannie again, and I thought the scene between Ronon and her was especially nice. Ronon actually had many good moments in this episode, and it was interesting to get a little more background on him, his family, and life in the Pegasus galaxy (the common disease of the elderly, Second Childhood). I did roll my eyes at everyone's mistrust of Ronon and Teyla's statements about the shrine--by now I really think they should be listening to their Pegasus Galaxy friends, and tone down their skepticism several notches. The bit with Woolsey speaking about his father felt forced to me, just another way to make him into a more sympathetic character.

All the moments between Sheppard and McKay--terrific. Their friendship has felt off for me in a long string of episodes, but here I really felt it again. I laughed along with Shep and Rodney at the "You're a good friend, Arthur" line.

But Keller...I understand she's the doctor and has a role to play here...but far too much of the episode was spent on her, and on this romantic thing with her and McKay. Near the beginning of the episode, she herself said something along the lines of they weren't even dating, and McKay is now telling her--because she was present during all these taped episodes, right?--that he loves her, and has loved her "for some time?" That seems very unbelievable to me, to say the least. I wish Keller had remained in the background, and this romantic subplot had never started, so that we could have had more moments with Rodney and Teyla (there weren't many). And Rodney and Zelenka--I notice he did not say goodbye to him--or Carson!--in his farewell video. And I really wish the episode had ended with Rodney and Jeannie in the infirmary, since there were not many moments between the two, and it would've been a nice counterpoint to the near final scene between them in Miller's Crossing.

I can say I loved parts of this episode, but unfortunately it was marred as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
          I know what you mean. I think I described it in my post - Joe Flanigan is the type you like and it is the reason why I think he and David are so perfect acting partners. I am sorry they are not using it more but Joe and David have so different acting styles, that they are a perfect duo But I would love to see them using it in scenes like the one on the pier in The Shrine than in "McKay, fix it!", "I can´t!, "Fix it!" scenes.
          I did like the scene on the pier. I wouldn't object at all to a lot more scenes like that between all of the various character combinations.

I think the writers have gotten into a bit of rut with the "fix it!" scenes too.

I find it frustrating that the last couple of episodes have featured nice team moments (flying monkeys & danger in the puddlejumper; trapped on top of the gate on a flooded planet) and then quickly return everyone to Atlantis and send them all off in different directions. I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic for some good team missions through the gate, exploring new worlds in search of Ancient tech.

Comment

During the scene where they are on top of the gate, is that the parasite floating in the water? It looks like the creature they pull out of Rodneys head, but I thought it was too small to be detected at first?

Comment

Originally posted by KitanaKat View Post
              During the scene where they are on top of the gate, is that the parasite floating in the water? It looks like the creature they pull out of Rodneys head, but I thought it was too small to be detected at first?
              most likely yes
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by KitanaKat View Post
                That one was maybe a full grown one. Like someone else said, perhaps a small cute, baby one (like microscopic), got up Rodney's nose and then it grew.

The Doctor and the Wild Man Thread... Keeping the dream alive.

Comment

The shrine is an excellent example of why the series should not be canceled...the characters are now becoming rounded and are getting in stride...it takes time for everything to mesh together
                  creating a great series i think we should let scifi and mgm get the word that the series needs at least another year before ending it....

Comment

This was a really great episode. It's in my top 5 character-based episodes.
                    There really aren't enough illness-based stories
                    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                    Caboose: They could be worse?
                    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by fuchsia View Post
                      IMO, a great episode..

Oh, and I'm patting myself on the back here, but did anyone else see one of the evil alien parasites in the water?
                      It swam past at the bottom of the screen just as Teyla was saying 'I fear for the other team' or something.
                      Maybe everyone saw it already.... oh, well.
                      You should pat yourself on the back. I saw the critter, but didn't make the connection til someone mentioned it here.

*pat pat pat*

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

David's performance was just... wow. Very well played. Less action and more about the characters is good for change. I didn't find the end part of McKay confessing that he loved Keller to be necessary, but perhaps in the future episodes it is.

Another proof from S5 how many potential SGA still has got.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Showfan View Post
                          With the exception of the end which kind of came out of nowhere for me (I don't get how one beer translates to I've loved you for a long time)
                          It's been many months, time enough to light a torch

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDuh View Post
                            It's been many months, time enough to light a torch
                            Yes, I thought everyone would of seen it.

The Doctor and the Wild Man Thread... Keeping the dream alive.

Comment

Great line:
                              (Rodney has been told that Jen’s going to operate on his skull with a power drill)
                              Jennifer: “I have enough anaesthetic to put you out. You’re not gonna feel a thing.”
                              Rodney: “It’s probably a hammer!”

When the Stargate activates just after Team Sheppard has gone through, Banks says that she isn’t receiving an IDC. John then radios and tells them not to lower the shield or the tower will be flooded. This adds to the whole argument about how IDCs work. If they come from the subcutaneous transmitters, how did Team Sheppard turns theirs off; but if IDCs have to be sent manually, why do we so often see people charging into the Gate without activating a GDO first?

Mega, humungous, awful, careless, gods-that-makes-me-so-angry-because-it-was-so-easily-avoidable nit: when we first see the footage of Rodney telling Jennifer on video that he wants to tell her something, the time stamp reads “DAY 06. 21:16”. When Jennifer watches it back at the end of the episode, the time stamp now reads “DAY 06. 22:14”. Now, you could just about argue that Rodney’s memory was already going and he insisted on doing a second video recording that day, having forgotten that he’d already done one, and Jennifer just humoured him – or that he rambled on for almost an hour and then forgot that he’d already told her – but the words he says are almost (but not completely – another nit in itself) identical.

Lovely episode. Hewlett was – as always – Teh Awesome.

Comment

LOVED IT! Ronon actually had lines and there was so much team bonding! It almost made me feel better about the whole cancellation thing.

Still, wonderful episode and I'm really looking forward to Whispers.

sigpic
                                Sig by me!
                                My FanFic's

Comment

Working...
                                X