This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
    jelgate, you should see if you can get your episode reviews into their respective sections on GateWorld. New episodes of the series haven't had 'official' reviews in ages, and it bugs me.
    I don't do that because I praise most episodes for the majority unless we have episodes like Whispers
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I don't do that because I praise most episodes for the majority unless we have episodes like Whispers
      Bah, I wouldn't consider that so bad. I thought 'The Seed' was subpar and 'Whispers' wasn't any better, but if I reviewed all eight episodes so far, I'd be giving 75% (the rest) positive statements. Still, that leaves the remaining 25% that I'd be giving ** and going on my way. I think that for me, at least, that's not such a bad ratio as to seem overly positive.

For you, I think, it'd be everything thusfar except for last week's, right? That's still not blindingly optimistic. And even if you happened to think every episode was spectacular... well, maybe that's just how the dice have rolled for you. I know by reading what you've written that you're fairly thorough in searching for three dimensions on interpretation, and that's what is most important.

I'm thinking I might start getting into episodic reviews and trying to submit them, actually. I may do so for this one, and last week's as well, for good measure. That way I'd be giving a *** 1/2, but I'd also be giving a ** at the same time. So there'd be no debate!
      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

The Wraith thunkers are weird people. I have a hard time understanding their ways. I think they like it that way
        I have no idea what's so hard to figure out. The Wraith are beautiful, and humans are naturally attracted to that which is beautiful.

I admire the Wraith (in appearance) much like I admire an animal - I think horses and cats and gazelles as beautiful, though they aren't human in appearance. Same with the Wraith - I love the Wraith make-up - gives them a look somewhere between a praying mantis, and a tiger....lol. (I also think praying mantis' are beautiful insects - so graceful.) So, appearance-wise, the Wraith are beautiful animals - elegant, poised, and confident.

Now - the 'physical attraction' part comes from the fact that under all of that make-up lie very handsome actors...actors whose personalities and abilities transform the Wraith from 'creepy bugmen' to 'sexy homo-insectoids' (just made that up...like Magneto came up with homo-superior for mutants ). And before anyone gets upset, I use the term 'homo' in the scientific sense of being 'human', and NOTHING else.

das
        sigpic

Comment

Wasn't my cup of tea but I am happy to see so many people liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
            I have no idea what's so hard to figure out. The Wraith are beautiful, and humans are naturally attracted to that which is beautiful.

I admire the Wraith (in appearance) much like I admire an animal - I think horses and cats and gazelles as beautiful, though they aren't human in appearance. Same with the Wraith - I love the Wraith make-up - gives them a look somewhere between a praying mantis, and a tiger....lol. (I also think praying mantis' are beautiful insects - so graceful.) So, appearance-wise, the Wraith are beautiful animals - elegant, poised, and confident.

Now - the 'physical attraction' part comes from the fact that under all of that make-up lie very handsome actors...actors whose personalities and abilities transform the Wraith from 'creepy bugmen' to 'sexy homo-insectoids' (just made that up...like Magneto came up with homo-superior for mutants ). And before anyone gets upset, I use the term 'homo' in the scientific sense of being 'human', and NOTHING else.

das
            LOL, jelgate, I was *born* misunderstood!
            But really, it's as das as described and can be summed up in a couple expressions: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've always known that I found things beautiful and attractive that most people either overlooked or found just plain "ewwww".
            There is also this expression in French - "joli laid". It literally means "pretty ugly". They use it often in fashion and art to refer to something that is in some ways so revolting that it is in it's own way beautiful. This is kind of how I viewed the Wraith in the first couple seasons. But with the introduction of Todd and his personality that gave the Wraith so much more dimension, well, let's just say I became smitten.

mfw
            Last edited by MyFavoriteWraith; 13 September 2008, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Apparently I am a failure (I blame sleep deprivation.) It was meant as a joke. I can honestly see why you people like the Wraith. I like the Wraith as a villian and species too just not on the same level that you guys like them
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Any screencaps yet? I definetely need some as soon as possible.

Comment

It's okay. Hallowed are the jelgate.

No, I'm not even part of this discussion. I just felt like saying that. I blame sleep deprivation as well...
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I thought it was a great episode. Some great Teyla moments. This episode may have featured Teyla more than any of our other main characters, but I really think this episode was about Todd and the Wraith more than anything else. Todd is great in this episode and he's as great a face for the Wraith as Baal was for the Go'ould in the last few seasons of SG-1.

I couldn't get over how gorgeous the CGI was in this episode, some really awesome shots of the Wraith ships fighting and some great Puddlejumper action as well. I thought the battle was well done, this season so far has some of the best CGI we've seen yet from SG, aside from Be All My Sins Remembered and the two SG-1 movies.

I also felt that this is one of the first episodes we've had in a while where the Wraith felt almost as threatening as they did in the early show. Overall this episode continues high quality of season five so far.
                    That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
                      I thought it was a great episode. Some great Teyla moments. This episode may have featured Teyla more than any of our other main characters, but I really think this episode was about Todd and the Wraith more than anything else. Todd is great in this episode and he's as great a face for the Wraith as Baal was for the Go'ould in the last few seasons of SG-1.

I couldn't get over how gorgeous the CGI was in this episode, some really awesome shots of the Wraith ships fighting and some great Puddlejumper action as well. I thought the battle was well done, this season so far has some of the best CGI we've seen yet from SG, aside from Be All My Sins Remembered and the two SG-1 movies.

I also felt that this is one of the first episodes we've had in a while where the Wraith felt almost as threatening as they did in the early show. Overall this episode continues high quality of season five so far.
                      I agree completely. A lot of people are comparing Todd to Ba'al for figureheads, and I think it's perfect. While the two characters have a lot of differences, and Ba'al's occasional alliances with SG-1 were moreover passing conveniences than Todd's more solidified allegiances, they both bring so much passionate intrigue to their respective races and help mend the 'problem' that is these two great races growing weaker.

The CGI was terrific. This season has been very strong in that regard, and I'm very excited for Universe and all upcoming franchise telefilms knowing what these folks are capable of.

The Wraith are really beginning to feel threatening again. We know how crippled they've become, and how much stronger we've become, but episodes like 'Midway' and 'The Queen' remind us how little that matters when you're standing in front of a line of battle-hardened, bloodthirsty warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        i skipped this ep thinking it was going to suck

guess I've learned my lesson
                        Yeah, it did. Some interesting information about the Wraith to it but once again it continued on with the uninspired writing of season five. I used to love this show but I am not surprised it was canceled. It was better than several of the episodes so far from this season but still overall it was a turd.

Comment

Apparently I am a failure (I blame sleep deprivation.) It was meant as a joke. I can honestly see why you people like the Wraith. I like the Wraith as a villian and species too just not on the same level that you guys like them
                          Face it - you just wanted to hear us Wraith freaks explain - once again - what we love about these guys...just so you can point and laugh at us.

Oh - I said this in the WDC thread, but just feel it must be said here...

Can Todd and Ronon get a room already??!!

das
                          sigpic

Comment

This was ALMOST like TNG's "Face of the Enemy" and yes they are both GREAT Episodes!
                            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

This episode was strangely satisfying. I was not impressed at all with the preview for it. I loved Queen Tela.

Comment

I really liked this episode. It was an interesting and compelling story, with a few twists and turns, and it gave us a little more insight into the wraith and how hive ships are run in terms of wraith hierarchy. I loved the wraith with the plaited goatee! I wonder why he was bald though. A fashion statement?

I thought Rachel was a wonderful queen, though a little short! Todd was as brilliant as he always is, with Chris H excelling at this role, as usual. I just love Todd.

I was confused as to how Keller operated on Teyla to make her into a queen. Was she genetically altered, surgically, or what? Did I miss something in the explanation as to how it all worked? :

The rest of the team didn't have that much to do, but I liked that they were present on screen as much as they were. I also liked the final scene between Teyla and Sheppard. I sort of figured the wraith wouldn't be taking the anti-feeding treatment anytime soon. It'd have been too quick and easy. Todd? Hmmm, he's a smart cookie. I wonder if him being in charge of the alliance was his plan, all along? I'm going with yes....

So, overall, I really enjoyed this. Another strong offering from the Stargate Atlantis team.
                                Last edited by Linzi; 13 September 2008, 01:29 AM. Reason: typo! Ooops!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X