Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That has to have been the most complex Stargate episode ever written! For the first time, I was totally fooled!

Interesting way it started out. What is with the shorts for the scientists? I don't like that, I hope it was just a one time thing. Kolya? That was weird. I never expected to see him again, I'm just glad that it was an illusion, I'm glad he is really dead.

I should have known someone like that wouldn't have been into Woolsey. Why would the IOA want to appoint the Chinese agent to run Atlantis? Other than because Woolsey didn't follow their rules? Was that some sort of scam?

The whole Kolya beating Sheppard thing was pretty rough. And chopping his hand off! Could you really operate Ancient technology with someone's body part? You'd think it'd have to be alive/connected to the body. If that's really possible, it's a serious design flaw. That calls back to season 1 in "The Defiant One" where the Wraith claimed that he'd use Sheppard's hands to fly the jumper. So is it really possible?

I will admit, I figured something was up when the jumper was shorted out and suddenly, of all people, the Genii were able to restore it, I doubt even McKay could have fixed that without replacement parts. Very odd indeed.

Then, the woman who only Woolsey could see. I liked how he was trying to act like he knew everyone in the control room by name, why did he mess up Chuck's name? What did he call him, Chack or Chick?

I was wondering how she knew so much about Woolsey and about suggesting to him to fight the reassignment instead of just giving in.

What was with the "2 men come here" remark by Kolya? Or was that a way of hinting that everything was odd? And Kolya ending up on a planet that never had a gate before was weird.

Zelenka's insistense at scanning the ocean floor was weird, but I just figured that he wanted to check everything out to be sure. I was thinking that the machine was a bomb the Genii put in the water to blow up Atlantis with, I'm actually quite surprised that it really was a time capsule/seeding machine. It reminded me of the Gad-meer thing from SG-1. Except they were sulphur-based instead of silicone-based.

I enjoyed the Koyla-Sheppard part. I liked seeing Sheppard take out all of those guards. Even though none of it really happened though.

Then, at the end when the chinese IOA woman got fooled with the fake message that they were letting Mr. Coolidge (remember him from "Midway" anyone?) run Atlantis, she gave Woolsey a good review. FUNNY!

So they dropped the device off on another planet, I wonder how that will turn out whether or not we ever get to see them.

Funny how McKay saw the true form of the aliens instead of the Australian woman!

This is the kind of episode that you don't appreciate until after you understand it at the end, very cool!

Vala,

Comment

To Vala M,

If anyone calls this episode predictable I am going to scream my head off !
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
        To Vala M,

If anyone calls this episode predictable I am going to scream my head off !
        Yeah, it definitely wasn't predictable. That is for sure. I really liked the episode overall, and was totally fooled for quite a while. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when Sheppard lost his hand.

The only characters in this one I knew something was up with were that woman Woolsey was seeing, and Zelenka. I just had a feeling there was more going on with her for some reason. And Zelenka, he was being way too nice to McKay.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I really liked this episode.

Pretty early on I had my suspicions about Conrad. I thought it was odd that Woolsey wouldn't have known about a new addition to Atlantis and when Chen saw him on the balcony with her I realized that he was the only one who could see her.

Kolya, on the other hand, I had no idea was a fake. I was seriously wondering how he and his men got to Atlantis without a gate but I just assumed that would come out later.

And then when they chopped Sheppard's hand off - OUCH! I knew, obviously, it would come back but at the time I was like, okay that machine McKay and Zelenka found can create matter, right? So they're gonna use it to fix his hand! lol

I think Zelenka being fake surprised me the most. I actually rewound Sheppard pointing out the oddity of the timing on all that because I was like, "Wait. What?" That was a nice twist.

Also a nice twist was the trick on Chen. At first I was super disappointed in that because I thought, now what idiot would tell her they weren't giving her the position when they are riding on her outing Woolsey? and then low and behold, it was the AI at work again. Bravo, AI. Don't you know she's gonna be pissed when she figures it out?!

LOL moment - Ronon giving McKay the 'are you dense' look when he asks why
          Sheppard offered to overnight on the mainland.

Oh, and a side note, I like dark Sheppard so even though it wasn't quite touched on as much as Malozzi led me to believe, it was nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Rine View Post
            I know, SkyDiver, I'm trying to figure out what alerted Sheppard and that chick to Parrish's flower discovery thing...did he yell or something? 'Cause *I* didn't hear anything.
            He did shout. I heard it. But for some reason I can't remember what it was. lol It was a really excited shout, and had fooled Sheppard into thinking it was something interesting. lol Well, it would be something that wouldn't really interest him.

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
            Then, the woman who only Woolsey could see. I liked how he was trying to act like he knew everyone in the control room by name, why did he mess up Chuck's name? What did he call him, Chack or Chick?
            Funny thing is, I can't remember what the guy shouted, but I can remember what Woolsey called Chuck. lol He called him Chet. Don't know if it's spelled right, but yeah. lol Atleast, that's what I heard him say. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be a first time. lol

---------------

All in all, I loved the episode. I found it totally unpredictable till it got closer to the end. But that's just me. To each their own. I just found the episode really good and enjoyed every minute of it. *nod nod and smiles*
            sigpic

Comment

ah the old aliens/tech messing with your head routine

i was actually hoping Sheppard lost his hand, i mean it'd be a total change of pace and kinda makes a little difficult.

felt sorry for Woolsey, guy can't seem to catch a break. the hot chick he likes is a alien tech hallucination, he's losing his job and he's just starting to feel at home on Atlantis

Comment

Remnants has been referred to in hallowed tones in Shep Whumpdom since the first concepts were whispered. We've been waiting anxiously for the whump we heard was coming. While I enjoyed the ep (I really did), let me tell you why this won't be ranking high in the "Best Whumpy Ep" category. Whump is also known as hurt/comfort. Shep was neither hurt (for real) or comforted. Reminiscent of Doppleganger (that ranks for emo whump only when Shep thinks he's killed McKay), it was all in his head.

I knew from last week's previews when Kolya swung that blade that this was either VR or hallucination or AU. I had a tiny bit of hope when Rodney started in about the information the device held (medical breakthroughs), but I had already figured out Zelenka wasn't real ("You're brilliant" and the constant prodding to analyze the data - much like the Zelenka in This Mortal Coil).

They had me going with the girl at the beginning, but once I knew Kolya and Zelenka weren't real, I pegged her as well. I did enjoy the mystery of it though. I love complex plots that make me think.

Kolya was a dead giveaway (not only from the preview) but when he is on the mainland. John doesn't question how Kolya could have gotten there beyond the "How'd you find us?" "Your location isn't secret." When John didn't follow up with "How could you be on the mainland since the Genii don't have ships and the gate is inside Atlantis?" I knew it was a mind game.

What I enjoyed here was the AI interaction with each. The AI needed Woolsey to do the right thing - send the device to a suitable planet. It plays on his loneliness. AI needed Rodney to find the device so it played on his ego. AI needed John distracted so it played on his fears. But their minds conjured up the images and the conversations. Woolsey needed someone to want to spend time with him. Rodney needed to hear he was brilliant. Sheppard needed to be punished.

This is one of those eps that I'm going to have to think on for a while. It wasn't a rousing romp like last week. This is more introspective, a parting of the veil to see who these men are (especially Woolsey and Sheppard). My one complaint was - it wasn't enough. I want more. Tell me why they are that way. Kolya asks John what he's running from. Give me an answer! Explore it more. Don't peek over the edge then walk away.

On a side note, I love the little glimpses into life - social events, orientation, the Apollo dropping off new crew, performance evaluations. Those kinds of things are everywhere in fanon. Love having it validated in canon. I, for one, totally knew Shen was after Woolsey's job. I figured that out in The Seed. And Radek off-world at a diplomatic dinner? (Did I understand that right?) LOVE that.

It was lovely to see Chuck and Banks is rapidly becoming a favorite minor character. Now if Chuck could only get a last name...
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana
                My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Ugh, personally I agree with Skydiver. It wasn't my favorite!

First, does anyone know why Teyla's never in the eps anymore? I suppose Rachel would want some time of to spend with her baby, but is there anything more to it? Same with Ronon. Is it a conscious decision made by Jason Momoa, or just a decision by TPTB? Frankly, I really miss full-team eps. We haven't been getting many of them, and next week won't be one either.

I do have to say, the plotline was pretty good, I also didn't think it was really happening after Sheppard after they cut off his hand.
                  sigpic
                  The Return of King Arthur
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                  acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

So, overall, I like this ep. Not jumpin' up and down over it, but it was pretty good.

Props to the camera work. The opening and closing scenes out on the balcony were gorgeous!!! Wonderful lighting, warm with lots of color and a sense of really being outdoors early in the morning and late in the day. Beautiful...

I liked the scene where Sheppard's hanging off the cliff face, too. Really good camera work...

Just one thing kept impinging on me - Hewlett sounded kinda - phlegmy - too me. McKay does a lot of sighing, but everytime he did in this ep it came out sounding raggedy and almost purr-like, like he was doing a bad Chewbacca imitation. Ws it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                      What I enjoyed here was the AI interaction with each. The AI needed Woolsey to do the right thing - send the device to a suitable planet. It plays on his loneliness. AI needed Rodney to find the device so it played on his ego. AI needed John distracted so it played on his fears. But their minds conjured up the images and the conversations. Woolsey needed someone to want to spend time with him. Rodney needed to hear he was brilliant. Sheppard needed to be punished.

This is one of those eps that I'm going to have to think on for a while. It wasn't a rousing romp like last week. This is more introspective, a parting of the veil to see who these men are (especially Woolsey and Sheppard). My one complaint was - it wasn't enough. I want more. Tell me why they are that way. Kolya asks John what he's running from. Give me an answer! Explore it more. Don't peek over the edge then walk away.

On a side note, I love the little glimpses into life - social events, orientation, the Apollo dropping off new crew, performance evaluations. Those kinds of things are everywhere in fanon. Love having it validated in canon. I, for one, totally knew Shen was after Woolsey's job. I figured that out in The Seed. And Radek off-world at a diplomatic dinner? (Did I understand that right?) LOVE that.

It was lovely to see Chuck and Banks is rapidly becoming a favorite minor character. Now if Chuck could only get a last name...
                      That first paragraph quotes...pure genius and describes the episode PERFECTLY.

I think that the reason 'What are you running from?' wasn't actually answered was because, like you said, it was all a mind game. And John would have already known the answer to that. It would have been odd for him to decide to spill his guts to Kolya of all people.

Speaking of the mind games, the entire time with John and Kolya I was sitting there thinking, Since when did Kolya became a psychiatrist? I could imagine John thinking, 'Quit psycho analyzing me!'

I loved all those little tidbits into daily Lantean life too! Nice to see the small stuff every once in a while....like the cars with Sheppard and McKay last week. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mav View Post

I think that Chuck/Amelia is rapidly becoming a favorite minor ship of mine!

LOL, but seriously, I agree. Nice to see them being used a little more, and I loved Chuck's little remark that "There is no Chet!"
                        sigpic
                        Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways

Comment

Originally posted by Mav View Post
                          ah the old aliens/tech messing with your head routine

i was actually hoping Sheppard lost his hand, i mean it'd be a total change of pace and kinda makes a little difficult.

felt sorry for Woolsey, guy can't seem to catch a break. the hot chick he likes is a alien tech hallucination, he's losing his job and he's just starting to feel at home on Atlantis
                          I was too. In the back of my mind, I knew that they'd never do something like that to one of their main characters, but I'd like to see how something like that would've played out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Not great but nor bad.

This episode does reinforce that Woosley can lead circles around Weir and Carter
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                              I think that Chuck/Amelia is rapidly becoming a favorite minor ship of mine!

LOL, but seriously, I agree. Nice to see them being used a little more, and I loved Chuck's little remark that "There is no Chet!"
                              I was right, Woolsey did call him Chet. LOL I wasn't sure if it was spelled right, but yeah. Yay. lol
                              sigpic

Comment

I though it was a pretty good episode. Not exactly what I expected, it really kept me thinking. Loved the ending and the little help the AI gave Woolsey. Looking forward to the next episode! Until then... *grabs season 3 and runs to the TV*

Comment

Working...
                                X