Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, personally I think that this episode was sort of a "trial" for the Atlantis Expedition since as we all know SGA is going to end at the end of the season (not that I'm happy about that) and that is sort of like a closure for all the things that have happened in the Pegasus Galaxy. It's sort of a send off and a vindication for the Atlantis Expedition, the bribe notwithstanding

Comment

As soon as a you see a courtroom you know it's gonna be a lame clip show. I know they're part of the budget for American TV shows but still..

This episode was utterly pathetic, boring and dull. The SGA writers have once again demonstrated their total lack of imagination and inventiveness. "Inquisition" is a joke and an extreme insult to the viewers. Could they've cared less about the show?

This steaming pile of dung is not even worthy of a 0/10.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ramses818 View Post
        Overall bad episode and Atlantis has dealt with the wraith so many times why haven't they stolen the technology for a subspace transmitter.
        The part about not having a subspace transmitter stood out to me because the Tok'ra have one and it has been used several times in SG-1. Carter even created an Ancient Communications Stone emulator using a Tok'ra long-range subspace communicator to boost the signal, so to speak. It worked so well that Vala was able to communicate through Daniel in "Crusade" when she used the Ancient Communications Terminal in the Ori home galaxy.

That's been 2 years -- it just seems to me that something could have already been developed by this time that is compact (or even subcutaneous like the transmitters used for beaming). IMO, there was no need to go to Todd for such a thing! Earth scientists have been shown to be able to create extremely sophisticated nanotechnology in this show.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramses818 View Post
          I wonder if they have all this information about differant worlds (Waking the wraith, genii, michael, replicators, todd) why don't they make a mention to the most recent issue of the exploding stargates.
          The only people other than the Tauri who know that the Tauri were involved are the Wraith, Lost Tribe, and Travelers, and I suppose none of them told the coalition.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Some of that was, some of it was not. How was their messing with the reps not their fault, since it was them who brought the asurans down on everyone's head.
            Same with michael and the Hoffan drug.
            You're correct about them waking the Replicators. However, it was done without malice. The Replicators came after Atlantis once they found out it still existed. Atlantis fought back. When they went to steal a ZPM they took advantage of a situation. Their intention was to fight the Wraith - a plan to save the entire galaxy.

As for the Hoffan drug, that blame lays on the heads of the Hoffans. They are the ones who began the development then spread it amongst their people against Carson's advice. Did Michael make use of it? Certainly. Would he have been able to if the Hoffans had heeded Carson's advice and continued to refine it until it was less harmful to human and Wraith?

And Michael - Carson again was trying his best to save lives - human and Wraith ironically. An experiment went horribly awry but not one meant to kill.

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
            Ok, I have to say it, I know Pandora already has, but come on, I have to. That was a trial? One completely biased judge, one reasonable judge, and one bought-and-payed-for judge? And where was a jury? Shepard didn't even have a defense attorney until Woolsey showed up. Worse, the Pegasus litigation squad kept going on and on about due process! That wasn't due process; it was a drumhead trial! They wouldn't know due process if it walked up and said "I'm due process, but don't worry, you wouldn't know me."
            An interesting viewpoint. And one that seems distincly Western. Many cultures on our planet right now do not have the court system you describe. What would make you think it would develop like this in the Pegasus galaxy?
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana
            My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

While this episode will not go on my top ten favorite list, I really did enjoy it and there were a few bits of information that came out that I find quite intriguing.

On a purely selfish note, one of the reasons I really, really enjoyed this episode is that this past week we had HD TV hooked up along with a DVR and those battle scene clip shots were truly awesome in HD on a large screen HD TV. For that reason alone I could re-watch this episode many times over.

On a story note, one of the things I found intriguing about the episode was the fact that some of the races in the PG have formed the coalition. It is a big step forward and an interesting development for the Pegasus Galaxy and I will guess that this is their first coalition.

Another intriguing point is that the Genii are still players – or at least they think they are still players – and they are in a power grab for The PG. This opens a whole new chapter of stories, intrigue and possible plotlines – of course the only problem being that MGM/SciFi/TPTB cancelled the series.

I thought the trial was okay – but I felt it should have been more intense.
              I liked the three judges, I thought they represented three opposing viewpoints rather well – the one focused on vengeance, the one on power and the fair minded one. Actually if they were all fair minded and completely democratic I think it would have been most unrealistic. When a new government/coalition forms there is usually a few if not all who are involved for their own personal agenda. If they were all purely altruistic, fair and without prejudice I think it would have been a bit of a stretch. One could say that is cynical or one could say that is realistic. So though they were a bit cliché and predictable, I thought the writers did a good job portraying the judges and having them represent the diversity of opinions that are held within the PG about the Earth expedition on Atlantis.

Loved how Sheppard tried to play the nonchalant defendant as he bided his time looking for an opportunity to escape. He was the typical soldier who was looking for a military strategy to get them out of the situation - but a military solution was not going to work. Even if they managed to escape, that would not have solved the problem – they just would have been essentially fugitives from the Pegasus coalition.

Loved Woolsey in the episode! Diplomat, lawyer, shrewd player – all those skills of his came in handy to outwit and outmaneuver the counsel. In the end his solution did resolve the immediate situation, perhaps not in the most desirable way, but for better or worse it worked - and that is what I liked about it, it was not the perfect solution so it leaves some things unresolved, and thus the possibilities of some interesting stories.

Loved the scene at the end with the drink and the cigar!

Comment

[QUOTE]
                Originally posted by Puddle Splasher View Post
                I've only read one mention of the continuity disconnect between the gate explosion of 'First Contact/Lost Tribe" and the pristine condition of the gateroom.

I understand the concept of a 'conceit' but sheese... gimme a break.

They've found the place in Atlantis that makes glass windows they are constantly breaking, but they can't find the place to make drones? First, either alot of time had passed between these events, or this ep. is floating out there in the time continuum because no dialogue cues were ever given to place this ep relative to the gate explosion. As a viewer, I take my temporal storyline cues from the dialogue and not the plot, and the stage should be in harmony or provide clues to storyline at hand, but it's too much of a disconnect when there are scenes of the background (gate/control room) looking in perfect order after a super-mego explosion. There was not even any damage to the walls! Where's the crater where the stargate extends below the floor!? Naquada apparently has the consistancy of foam... or circus peanuts. A freakin' stargate blew up and all the gateroom needed were new windows and repainted!!!

Seems like I read somewhere that this epi is out of order of when it was planned to be aired - could that account for the lack of damage and for the lack of mention of people killed by exploding gates during the "trial"? Does anyone else remember hearing this or am I just crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                  An interesting viewpoint. And one that seems distincly Western. Many cultures on our planet right now do not have the court system you describe. What would make you think it would develop like this in the Pegasus galaxy?
                  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a legal system anywhere in the world that isn't based on fairness, objectivity, and the basic precept of "innocent until proven guilty".

If you can, then I'd be very interested to know where.
                  sigpic

Comment

Average episode. The best thing about it was Woolsey. He got some time to shine in this episode. Besides him none of the characters did anything interesting this episode.

Comment

I don't think that woolsey and keller have had too much screen time. Both Robert Picardo and Jewel Staite are good actors and they have done well with the screen time they have been given.

If anything large ensemble casts can lead to certain characters being overlooked or not developed as fully as we would like.

I think mccay has been the most developed character on the show. I don't think sheppard has really changed at all, and ronon and teyla have probably not been given enough development.

But it could be worse, they could be Harry Kim.
                      "You're born, you live and you die. There are no do-overs, no second chances to make things right if you frak 'em up the first time. Not in this life anyway. Like I said, you make your choices and you live with them. And in end you are those choices." --Kendra Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                        I think you'd be hard pressed to find a legal system anywhere in the world that isn't based on fairness, objectivity, and the basic precept of "innocent until proven guilty".

If you can, then I'd be very interested to know where.
                        Based on fairness, objectivity and "innocenet until proven guilty" is not the same as actually functioning that way. I certainly don't know the ins and outs of every court system on the planet, but I've read enough stories on human rights violations in countries such as China, Cuba, North Korea, and Saudi Arabia to know that people are falsely accused, denied legal counsel, and condemned without a fair trial.

But regardless of that, why would you expect the Pegasus galaxy coalition to develop a similar system?
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana
                        My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson View Post
                          BOOOORING! Nothing but a damn clip show. No action. No fighting. Ronon didn't even get to shoot his gun. Nothing dull, boring talking and politics. Woolsey is soooo dull.
                          Actually Ronon did fire his gun, several times at the door in the room where the gas was coming in.

On another note, the two judges lack of impartiality is totally believable, at least to me. Look at all the activist judges who do not judge based on the law but on how they feel or even public perception. Look at all the cases that have to go up to SCOTUS to potentially get a fair trial. They can not all be right. I am sure if our judges were quizzed on the State and U.S. Constitutions they would, in large part, score poorly, especially in light of their rulings.
                          Energy bends the bow, timing releases the arrow. ~Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                            As for the Hoffan drug, that blame lays on the heads of the Hoffans. They are the ones who began the development then spread it amongst their people against Carson's advice.
                            Not really. Remember, if it was not for our help they would NOT have even finished the drug. So that blame still goes to us.

Comment

The best thing about this episode was the writers giving Woolsey some character development... character development they should have and could have given Weir in earlier seasons.
                              But the whole trial thing has been done before... better.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I thought this was a very good clip show. Letters from Pegasus was better, IMHO, but this was enjoyable - especially since we're looking back 4+ years.

Gotta go - Tabula Rasa starts in 2 minutes (in syndication).

Shep + scotch + moonlight over Atlantis = HEAVEN

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Working...
                                X