No announcement yet.

The unimportance of Teyla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could have imagined easier Teyla as the switched body, but than they couldn't play out the McKay vs. Keller scene.

What I missed is Beckett. He was there, but he had so less screentime.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I honestly don´t know why are you bashing about Keller in this one. Yeah, she is there a lot and it damages the team. Which I do mind but I still like her character.
      But Teyla was barely visible a looooong time before Keller appeared. I think since S2.
      I personally don´t miss her at all but I understand that for someone who likes her is it hard. But bashing about Keller here won´t help here. It´s writers´ fault that they are not able to write any (and I mean really ANY) female character properly in this show and started to ignore Teyla after The Gift in S1.
      But I think it´s easier to find some visible target like Keller. But you are right, this episode could have easily been written for Teyla.

But I personally LOVE watching McKeller cos Hewlett is hot.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Amakusa View Post
        I count Teyla having at least three episodes about her this season:

Spoiler:

- the one where she's giving birth to her kid
        - the one where she's trying to figure out if she's staying on the team
        - the one where Michael is trying to destroy the city and she kicks him off the tower
        You are very funny

S&R - a team ep (yes they do still occasionally exist), with if anything focus on Shep
        BT - How you can say that Ronon's token episode of the season was a Teyla ep is beyond me. Teyla's story was the B story of that ep.
        Prodigal - again a team ep, yes with the focus if anybody on Teyla but still a team ep

The only ep this season that was a Teyla ep was The Queen so I don't know why you missed that off your list, your argument might have held some weight then

Whereas lets look at Keller:

The Seed - not Keller centric, but she was the main plot device, Teyla hasn't been a plot device in any eps this season
        Tracker - Keller centric, with a side dose of Ronon and McKay
        Brain Storm - McKeller - nuff said
        Identity - again Keller is the plot device, this time more Keller centric than The Seed was but probably more McKay than Keller ep

One thing that is apparant from that is that when you have an ep that heavily features Keller you don't get the team
        What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Keller episodes are easier to write for.. she doesnt do anything except run away or have some major invasion of the body snatchers..

Eh.. I miss seeing Teyla BUT I think since Ronon became part of the series they are trying to split up the token alien time between the 2 of them.. in SG1 we just had Teal'c..
          sigpic
          I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
          "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
          Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Originally posted by airrick View Post
            Keller episodes are easier to write for.. she doesnt do anything except run away or have some major invasion of the body snatchers..

Eh.. I miss seeing Teyla BUT I think since Ronon became part of the series they are trying to split up the token alien time between the 2 of them.. in SG1 we just had Teal'c..
            Yes, it is quite interesting how Jennifer-centric stories very seldom give us anything besides... umm... Jennifer. "The Seed", "Tracker", "Brain Storm", "Identity", none of these did anything further the plot of the show's main storylines.

It was just lots of Jennifer. I mean, we could ignore them all and we wouldn't really miss anything except the first date in "Brain Storm"! So we can pretend the other three didn't happen, cut out 2 minutes of footage from "Brain Storm" and insert it anywhere else and voila, we'd be short absolutely nothing.

Well, except the fact that maybe Wraith hives grow from humans, but that's pretty much it. The rest is just filler. Jennifer filler.

It's like they desperately wanted to cram more Jennifer in there, but couldn't come up with ways to connect her episodes to the real storylines of the show (unless you count McKeller as a storyline, as it's been pretty much the only long-running storyline this season).

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
              "And these are news"? Seriously, Teyla's barely been there all season because little miss Keller + her love triangle + her dating Rodney has taken over and the writers can barely write for one female character at a time, let alone two?
              Hear Hear!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
              MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

teyla is oh so important!

sigpic
                Sig made by squirrely1
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Well Teyla is supposed to be part of the main team..As is Ronon and Shep is supposed to be the leader of the team.....But you wouldn't think that with the way the eps have been going this season...

All TPTB seem to be focused on this season is Keller, McKay and McKeller and the rest have had to take a backseat!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                    Well Teyla is supposed to be part of the main team..As is Ronon and Shep is supposed to be the leader of the team.....But you wouldn't think that with the way the eps have been going this season...

All TPTB seem to be focused on this season is Keller, McKay and McKeller and the rest have had to take a backseat!
                    This heavy Keller, Rodney & McKeller focus is why this is the worst season ever for me. That title used to be held by Season 2, but now Season 2 seems like a masterpiece in comparison.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                      This heavy Keller, Rodney & McKeller focus is why this is the worst season ever for me. That title used to be held by Season 2, but now Season 2 seems like a masterpiece in comparison.
                      I completey agree... though I'd never go as far as seeing season 2 as a masterpiece...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                        I completey agree... though I'd never go as far as seeing season 2 as a masterpiece...

Yep, now, even Season 2 is looking good to me.

See what watching Identity has done to me? And, even though I didn't watch BS, just knowing that it's out there is enough to leave me shaking with dread.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                          It's weird this season....We get some good or great eps in S&R, The Queen and Prodigal then we get real stinkers in BS, The Shrine, Whispers, Inquisition,The lost tribe....

Ok there is way more stinkers than good eps

Yeah overall this is a really poor season!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                            It's weird this season....We get some good or great eps in S&R, The Queen and Prodigal then we get real stinkers in BS, The Shrine, Whispers, Inquisition,The lost tribe....

Ok there is way more stinkers than good eps

Yeah overall this is a really poor season!
                            Yeah, it's strange and unsettling to see so many stinkers mixed in with the good to great episodes. It seems as if the writers are deliberately trying to downplay most of the things that fans loved about the earlier seasons in order to give Keller a level playing field.

At the beginning of the season, I remember Mallozzi saying that they had to devote more time to developing Keller because fans didn't like her. At the time I thought he was joking, but now I realize that he wasn't.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Wait, Teyla was in this ep? Why couldn't they have Teyla switch bodies with someone. Well Teyla did get a lot of focus for the first half, she then got Prodigal after that............ Even I have to agree with the Teyla fans. But the beginning of the season was very Teyla heavy you have to agree with me there.
                              sigpic

Comment

Teyla was in the beginning very prominent, she was turned into a wraith, she helped kill Michael. She had 4 episodes, Keller also had 4 episodes. Only the Keller ones were much more focussed on Keller.

Comment

Working...
                                X