No announcement yet.

I Throw Up My Hands in Defeat: The Triangle IS Poorly Written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell has officially frozen over. FAII? Get out of my head.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      Meanwhile, Ronon's actions aren't at all ridiculous or out of character?

Hey, John randomly murdering a child for no good reason while no one sees him, an action never spoken of again (thus, no impact on the episode or the show) which lasts only a few seconds...

I'm sorry, have you seen the past two episodes? It amounts to "a few scenes". Also, what makes you think it'll stop here? Have you not been watching the show for the past 11 years?

Poor shipping, it's what the Stargate PTB do.

This triangle is going to persist. It's going to be popping up again. It's going to be shoved into our faces. And it's probably going to stay on the same level of writing (bad).
      Ok...really?...really? Lets go with the first thing you said...Ronan's actions being out of character..sooo your saying he is incapable of having feelings for anyone other the rage respect and annoyance? wow...I didn't realize Ronan was so shallow...

Next...a love triangle and someone killing a baby are kind of two different things...just a little bit...just a thought...

And lastly...oh for pete's sake let it go...how is the presence of a love triangle ruining anything...stop moaning about it...it's hasn't become "who is sleeping with who" nor will it ever...all it's doing is givng McKay a chance to be genuinely vulnerable and Ronan a chance to move on from past painful experiences (a.k.a. his wife being killed) so seriosuly...grow up and let it go
      "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Why should we not be allowed to be frustrated over the poorly conceived idea of putting two friends against each other for the prize of Keller? These characters should not be forced to deal with this crap. I really am PO'd because it is showing Ronon not caring about Keller just showing Rodney up! his look was like "Ha ha I am going with her and you're not" this, this has no place on SGA.

Seeing as the triangle and the romancing of Keller effects the last few episodes of the show, I'd say yes we have a right to be mad!

If Ronon really likes Keller and she chooses him then Rodney gets hurt. How is this fun? It will also get in the way of how these two men work together!

The triangle is horrible!
        Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I can't believe I'm about to do this, but here goes...

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
          Ok...really?...really? Lets go with the first thing you said...Ronan's actions being out of character..sooo your saying he is incapable of having feelings for anyone other the rage respect and annoyance? wow...I didn't realize Ronan was so shallow...
          It's not the feelings and emotions beyond violence that are OOC. It's the smirking and the arrogance. The disrespect and the jerkoff-ish behaviour. The juvenile antics that have him smirking back at Rodney as he runs off to the Deadalus with Jennifer.

And lastly...oh for pete's sake let it go...how is the presence of a love triangle ruining anything...stop moaning about it...it's hasn't become "who is sleeping with who" nor will it ever...all it's doing is givng McKay a chance to be genuinely vulnerable and Ronan a chance to move on from past painful experiences (a.k.a. his wife being killed) so seriosuly...grow up and let it go
          And how.

It's not the presence of a love triangle that is infuriating. And you will not that in every other thread before now, I have vehemently supported this triangle. It's how TPTB are choosing to portray the characters involved. Reducing them to mere caricatures.

I never once thought that Jennifer could be so dense. Or that Rodney could look so desperate. Or that Ronon could be such a jerk.

This triangle could have been done in such a way that it preserved the characters. Unfortunately, I'm just not seeing that play out on screen.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
            Why should we not be allowed to be frustrated over the poorly conceived idea of putting two friends against each other for the prize of Keller? These characters should not be forced to deal with this crap. I really am PO'd because it is showing Ronon not caring about Keller just showing Rodney up! his look was like "Ha ha I am going with her and you're not" this, this has no place on SGA.

Seeing as the triangle and the romancing of Keller effects the last few episodes of the show, I'd say yes we have a right to be mad!

If Ronon really likes Keller and she chooses him then Rodney gets hurt. How is this fun? It will also get in the way of how these two men work together!

The triangle is horrible!
            so...wait...competitiveness isn't part of Ronan's personality? since when? I think Teal'c would have something to say about that. And why the Keller bashing? all I've heard is it's poorly written but no one has given an accurate reason
            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

so...wait...competitiveness isn't part of Ronan's personality? since when? I think Teal'c would have something to say about that. And why the Keller bashing? all I've heard is it's poorly written but no one has given an accurate reason
              Check out the previous pages. I'm sure you'll find a few.
              sigpic

Comment

As a guy who has watched too many sitcoms, I enjoy this triangle for the most part. I think maybe Keller has been a bit too naive about it thus far, but that could be explained as her internalizing it, instead of actually saying anything.

That part in FC with the triangle made me almost bust out laughing. IDK, maybe I it's because I can relate to McKay and his social ineptitude, and how he realizes that 'winning' against Ronan ought to be virtually impossible.

How exactly did this get to be compared with killing a baby?

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                  Check out the previous pages. I'm sure you'll find a few.
                  I've seen some...interesting...excuses but nothing to explain why showing depth in characters is a bad thing

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                    As a guy who has watched too many sitcoms, I enjoy this triangle for the most part. I think maybe Keller has been a bit too naive about it thus far, but that could be explained as her internalizing it, instead of actually saying anything.

That part in FC with the triangle made me almost bust out laughing. IDK, maybe I it's because I can relate to McKay and his social ineptitude, and how he realizes that 'winning' against Ronan ought to be virtually impossible.
                    If this whole triangle had been played for laughs from the start, then I'd appreciate the humour. But it hasn't, so it seems weird to start that now.

Something about OOC behaviour.....in short? :: shrug ::
                    sigpic

Comment

I've seen some...interesting...excuses but nothing to explain why showing depth in characters is a bad thing
                      So, in essence, you see nothing wrong with this love triangle being reduced to a competition between Ronon and Rodney for a woman who seems oblivious to the whole thing and is, in effect, encouraging them both?

Because I see plenty wrong with this version of Jennifer. She's apparently so naive as to not see that these men are interested in her when it is plain as the light of day. And is also so lacking in compassion that she's oblivious to the fact that the man who professed his love for her (Rodney) had been hoping for some personal time with her in Tracker and negates to mention to him that Ronon would be joining them. Then she stands around and stares as they both whip out their measuring sticks to determine whose is bigger while fighting over who gets to carry her bags.

I also see plenty wrong with this Ronon who has taken it upon himself to be around her so often that he's now known as her "protector" (don't get me started on how demeaning to Jennifer that is, the thought that she would need one in the first place) and then proceeds to rub it in Rodney's face when he is around her. He shows no respect towards a teammate that he fought to save in The Shrine, going so far as to say that, "he owed [Rodney]" that last bit of dignity. Now they're at war over a woman? Friends don't do that.

And Rodney? Desperate and incapable of expressing himself. Yet again. Where's the growth there? The depth of character? Growth would have been him confronting Jennifer, not Ronon, at the end of Tracker so as to ascertain her intentions. Because in starting a potential relationship between two people, she's the one she should be talking to. Not initiating a competition with Ronon.

Reason enough for you?
                      sigpic

Comment

If this whole triangle had been played for laughs from the start, then I'd appreciate the humour. But it hasn't, so it seems weird to start that now.
                        When was the start then? For some, it could have started last season with Trio or Quarantine- the first episodes with Ronan/Keller, McKay/Keller relationships. Others may have seen it start as recently as this season with Tracker. Personally, I thought Tracker was the start of it because even with what happened at the end of The Shrine, we, as viewers, did not know if Ronan was still interested.

So for me, ever since Trio/Quarantine, I guessed something like this might happen, and if it did, it would have to be humorous. For it to be played any other way, IMO, would be like a Soap.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

It really isn't the competitive attitude between the two men (they just look like idiots) fighting over her. It's the fact that one of them is going to loose and will be hurt. I know I am getting tired of it already. So it was a look, big deal right? No! It should not be in the episodes!

I watch SGA for adventure and sci-fi elements not romance.
                          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Funny, you only make the assumptions that suit your argument.

Ronon acting like a jerk and smirking at Rodney in a "Ha!"-gesture, that's OOC.

Next...a love triangle and someone killing a baby are kind of two different things...just a little bit...just a thought...
                            No one's arguing they're the same. I'm saying just because it's not on-screen for minutes at a time doesn't mean we cannot find it annoying.

You (or whoever else it was) spoke as if it'd be absurd to ever get annoyed at something which only takes up a few seconds or a minute or two of an episode.

Stuff.
                            We find it to be badly written. The mere presence is not bad. I've said this many times. It's just that the writers have shown themselves to be incapable of writing good ships in the past and this one is looking no different.

We dislike the triangle for being badly written. The fact that it's a triangle makes it harder to write than a normal 2-person relationship. The writers fail even at that, why would they succeed with a triangle, which is already turning out to be badly written?

Next...a love triangle and someone killing a baby are kind of two different things...just a little bit...just a thought.
                            Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                            Because (and I see this a lot since I'm a regular at quite a few forums) some people seem incapable of understanding plain English (I've read that some people change the things they read to suit them better).

I clearly wrote "child" twice. Shpinxinator transformed this into "baby". Be it subconsciously or consciously, it was probably to make my comparison (which is valid) sound more shocking and ludicrous since murdering a baby is more reprehensible than murdering a child (whose age could be as high as 17).

I always make it a point to try to read as closely as possible to make sure I've understood what someone's saying before replying to them. Others don't. This is why so many controversies arise on forums, people skim, misread or mentally rewrite posts and thus arises a misunderstanding because you've got someone disagreeing with someone else for something they didn't actually say.

Others who read the 2nd person's response will assume they are correct (i.e. if they claim the 1st person used the word "baby") since most people are too lazy to actually read or even skim most posts and even read what's quoted in someone's reply.

Case in point, "child" -> "baby".

English is my third language, yet I can manage to avoid this most of the time.
                            Last edited by FallenAngelII; 28 September 2008, 04:35 PM.

Comment

So, in essence, you see nothing wrong with this love triangle being reduced to a competition between Ronon and Rodney for a woman who seems oblivious to the whole thing and is, in effect, encouraging them both?

Because I see plenty wrong with this version of Jennifer. She's apparently so naive as to not see that these men are interested in her when it is plain as the light of day. And is also so lacking in compassion that she's oblivious to the fact that the man who professed his love for her (Rodney) had been hoping for some personal time with her in Tracker and negates to mention to him that Ronon would be joining them. Then she stands around and stares as they both whip out their measuring sticks to determine whose is bigger while fighting over who gets to carry her bags.

I also see plenty wrong with this Ronon who has taken it upon himself to be around her so often that he's now known as her "protector" (don't get me started on how demeaning to Jennifer that is, the thought that she would need one in the first place) and then proceeds to rub it in Rodney's face when he is around her. He shows no respect towards a teammate that he fought to save in The Shrine, going so far as to say that, "he owed [Rodney]" that last bit of dignity. Now they're at war over a woman? Friends don't do that.

And Rodney? Desperate and incapable of expressing himself. Yet again. Where's the growth there? The depth of character? Growth would have been him confronting Jennifer, not Ronon, at the end of Tracker so as to ascertain her intentions. Because in starting a potential relationship between two people, she's the one she should be talking to. Not initiating a competition with Ronon.

Reason enough for you?
                              Yyyyyes....if you don't understand character development...or think of them as real people...Keller is a professional woman...someone who has obviously spent most of her life working towards her goals (I.E.) the medical field so it's safe to say her personal life has suffered as a result...so its not to much of a stretch to think she may be a little naive when it comes to men.

McKay's growth comes from the fact that yes he's expression comes difficultly, however he's to the point which he is willing to fight for a relationship...against Ronan of all people, who intimidate him the most...I see a great deal of growth there.

And Ronan...again he's competitive...he's a hunter so of course he's gonna get his jollys from rattling McKay's cage

Comment

Yyyyyes....if you don't understand character development...or think of them as real people...Keller is a professional woman...someone who has obviously spent most of her life working towards her goals (I.E.) the medical field so it's safe to say her personal life has suffered as a result...so its not to much of a stretch to think she may be a little naive when it comes to men.
                                But she apparently is well-schooled enough to have interpreted the signals from Ronon well enough in Quarantine that they almost kissed. She was adept enough at social situations to engage in a romantic relationship with Rodney in TLM and to flirt with him quite adeptly in The Shrine and be communicate with him with much humour and skill in Trio.

McKay's growth comes from the fact that yes he's expression comes difficultly, however he's to the point which he is willing to fight for a relationship...against Ronan of all people, who intimidate him the most...I see a great deal of growth there.
                                He's not fighting for the relationship. He's fighting for the chance to be in a relationship with Jennifer. There's a difference.

The fact that TPTB had him confront Ronon makes this not Rodney trying to woo the love of his life, but competing for the love of his life with someone he thinks also has claim to her. That's why I don't like this.

And Ronan...again he's competitive...he's a hunter so of course he's gonna get his jollys from rattling McKay's cage
                                But that's just not behaviour you conduct yourself with amongst friends. It's disrespectful and it's cruel. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X