Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough bullets can overwhelm a personal shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was under the impression that he was deliberately left behind so let the shield fall. was their enough room for all 3 and jackson and mckay on the uber-lift?

Comment

i think he was or choose to sacrifice himself so that the others could get away

collateral damage
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie
        Spoiler:
        Just cuz they are Asgard doesn't mean they are advanced as our Asgard.
        Spoiler:
        if they are asgard and if their ship is not ancient, and considering that their ship (even though not ancient) can penetrate ancient shields, this would suggest that these asgards are even more advanced than the ancients at least when it comes to military tech

shield tech can be as advanced as you want it to be, but when power runs out...power runs out, plain simple

more unbelievable is that bullets could kill the alien yet a cutting blade couldn't even dent the armour

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
          more unbelievable is that bullets could kill the alien yet a cutting blade couldn't even dent the armour
          I also didn't see any bullet holes. Maybe he swallowed a suicide pill?

Comment

i think the shield failed and you guys are really under rating fire arms guns as we all know fire bullets of varying sizes shapes and speeds all the weapons operate under 1 principle law kinetic energy kinetic energy is a extremly powerful weapon some guns that soldiers carry can go threw walls body armor and some powerful enough to penertrate tank amor namly the 50.cal,there are also certain suits of armor humans wear that can withstand a nice drop or fall but they werent exactly built to take a razer sharp pointed piece of metal flying at 2,000mph and not adding repeated hits over and over from a weapon that can fire many of said bullets at some insane speeds such as 9,000rounds a minute i agree the shield requires power and with the amount of people firing at it they could have depleted the shield and his armor was penetrated by the bullets after the shield fell the armor was ment to withstand damage but not forever like us humans our bodyarmor our troops wear can withstand hit after hit of gun fire but not forever eventually our bodyarmor fails and we get killed
            I WANT A WRAITH LOL

Comment

Spoiler:
              if they are asgard and if their ship is not ancient, and considering that their ship (even though not ancient) can penetrate ancient shields, this would suggest that these asgards are even more advanced than the ancients at least when it comes to military tech

shield tech can be as advanced as you want it to be, but when power runs out...power runs out, plain simple

lol dude learn abit about kentic energy and physics i know the cuting blade couldnt dent it but look at it from a power perspective you can use a circular saw on say a steel I beam and it wont cut threw but grab a high power rifle like a g36 and see a bullet go clean threw it
              I WANT A WRAITH LOL

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                I also didn't see any bullet holes. Maybe he swallowed a suicide pill?
                There are bullet holes, you can see them as Zalenka begins to cut open the armor

Comment

Originally posted by lol dude
                  lol dude learn abit about kentic energy and physics i know the cuting blade couldnt dent it but look at it from a power perspective you can use a circular saw on say a steel I beam and it wont cut threw but grab a high power rifle like a g36 and see a bullet go clean threw it
                  good, now learn a bit about basic physics and in particular when in comes force per surface aka. pressure - kinetic energy isn't the only parameter (we're not comparing 2 projectiles but 2 completely different methods of damage)

now to start with you'd expect a decent cutting blade (ie. worthy of this name) to be made of a material at least as hard as those used by AP rounds (if not harder - corundum, titanium carbide, etc.)
                  now consider the fact that a decent blade is supposed to be as thin as possible (surface contact with the target material would be infinitesimal compared to a bullet)
                  now you should see why the blade - if it spun at a high enough speed - should have had no prob cutting through that armour if bullets were able to punch through it

why do you think a blade, an arrow or even an icepick can cut/pierce through level IIIA body armour whereas most handgun ammo can't ?

perhaps a more reasonable explanation would be that the alien armour was a "darth-vader" style suit with supertough armour but also intricate circuitry that got damaged during the shooting (those electronics must have been part of some life support system)

Comment

Originally posted by fallenexile452 View Post
                    I was under the impression that he was deliberately left behind so let the shield fall. was their enough room for all 3 and jackson and mckay on the uber-lift?
                    Well the armour's probably not good against extensive projectile damage, but it may be impervious to energy weapons (like the Supersoliders). Besides the SGC has been perfecting weapons technology for years. It's no surprise that they would improve more conventional firearms as well as build "ray guns".
                    "No single army can conquer the galaxy, but faith alone can overturn the universe." -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
                    ==============================================================
                    Tiletron/Hyncharas:= Simon Spencer | Portfolio Gallery:= http://tiletron.deviantart.com
                    Online:= Clan Draconus Lupus (8yr Veteran) | SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)

Comment

good, now learn a bit about basic physics and in particular when in comes force per surface aka. pressure - kinetic energy isn't the only parameter (we're not comparing 2 projectiles but 2 completely different methods of damage)

now to start with you'd expect a decent cutting blade (ie. worthy of this name) to be made of a material at least as hard as those used by AP rounds (if not harder - corundum, titanium carbide, etc.)
                      now consider the fact that a decent blade is supposed to be as thin as possible (surface contact with the target material would be infinitesimal compared to a bullet)
                      now you should see why the blade - if it spun at a high enough speed - should have had no prob cutting through that armour if bullets were able to punch through it

why do you think a blade, an arrow or even an icepick can cut/pierce through level IIIA body armour whereas most handgun ammo can't ?

perhaps a more reasonable explanation would be that the alien armour was a "darth-vader" style suit with supertough armour but also intricate circuitry that got damaged during the shooting (those electronics must have been part of some life support system)
                      good point but look at the tech lol when he tried cutting the suit he was using 2 differnt circular saws and i got one hint when he said all i did was dull the blade one thing with blades is that the blade has to be tougher then the material its cutting since it has basically no kinetic force where as kinetic energy you dont need a harder material long as enough speed is produced you can penetrate take a few examples such as railguns and problems astronoughts have in space smallpieces of debries such as a small pebble of paint can crack the glass of the shuttle and even penetrate the suit of astronought which the suit is made of kevlar and other bullet proofing matetials if a tiny spec of paint can hit with the power of a high powered rifle it shows you a little kinetic energy goes along way considering this spec of paint weighs less then a gram and is about an inch at the most in diamater
                      I WANT A WRAITH LOL

Comment

Let's be hones
                        Zelenka can't cut the armour but a couple of bullets can take him down-no problem.
                        Utter stupidity on the writers behalf, but it won't stop the fans from justifying it all with wild theories as to why.
                        It's just sloppy writing-nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by wraith_ownage View Post
                          one thing with blades is that the blade has to be tougher then the material its cutting since it has basically no kinetic force where as kinetic energy you dont need a harder material long as enough speed is produced you can penetrate
                          true (the projectile must be heavy enough though, otherwise its kinetic energy will not be preserved & it will disintegrate upon impact instead of penetrating the target)

but on the other hand, although we know a blade made of a certain substance cannot scratch a harder substance, this assumes that you're only trying to scratch it at "normal speed"

in the present case the blades spin at an ultra high rate thus also have their own kinetic energy (due to their angular speed) so even if the blades were not as tough as the armour, they still should've been able to cut through (or rather, melt through) thanks to the heat caused by friction between the blade & the armour, sure it would've busted the blades in the process but it should've also caused some damage to the armour
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 29 September 2008, 11:00 PM.

Comment

true (the projectile must be heavy enough though, otherwise its kinetic energy will not be preserved & it will disintegrate upon impact instead of penetrating the target)

but on the other hand, although we know a blade made of a certain substance cannot scratch a harder substance, this assumes that you're only trying to scratch it at "normal speed"

in the present case the blades spin at an ultra high rate thus also have their own kinetic energy (due to their angular speed) so even if the blades were not as tough as the armour, they still should've been able to cut through (or rather, melt through) thanks to the heat caused by friction between the blade & the armour, sure it would've busted the blades in the process but it should've also caused some damage to the armour
                            lol you just contridicted the sentace i wrote i said mass is not required for a projectile to penetrate if it has the right amount of speed i already explained the mass issue citing the space incidents where space crew and equiptment have been damaged by things with far less mass then a bullet such as a pebble of paint or ice which can vary from an inch or larger in size plus considering the weightlessness of space mass is no longer a factor but since this piece of space debris have been catapulted countless times around the earth by our gravitional field in orbit these objects have gained high velocities allowing them to decimate larger and heavier mass objects negating the physics of mass required to penetrate but like the other guy said i dobut these aliens were that darn advanced that their suits could stop all manner of weaponry
                            I WANT A WRAITH LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiletron View Post
                              Well the armour's probably not good against extensive projectile damage, but it may be impervious to energy weapons (like the Supersoliders). Besides the SGC has been perfecting weapons technology for years. It's no surprise that they would improve more conventional firearms as well as build "ray guns".
                              Agreed. Perhaps the SGC has started commissioning bullets with aportion of trinium in addition to the usual materials. With everything that's out there, and the mines we've discovered, in addition to any trinium mines the Asgard database might give us, I think we might have the materials necessary to build a really deadly projectile.

It's not cannon until it appears in the show, however, so it's just speculation on my part until TPTB put it in the show. But it makes sense given what we've seen against the Ori, the Wraith, this enemy, and the extra-dimensional baddies from DV.
                              It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                              --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                                Let's be hones
                                Zelenka can't cut the armour but a couple of bullets can take him down-no problem.
                                Utter stupidity on the writers behalf, but it won't stop the fans from justifying it all with wild theories as to why.
                                It's just sloppy writing-nothing more.
                                I'd hate to see what you consider a lot of bullets.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X