Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engame Machine + Ark of Truth + Sangraal... ZZzz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    Though the Ancients did build it to kill everything as well since it could be reconfigured...arrogant little twits.
    That might not have been the intention. It's not like they can write the rules for how technology is used.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      It is so easy. They beam a stargate and a brave hero (=Sheppard) to the new enemies's lab, than he dials a planet and they beam him back to the Daedalus. After that they have to wait only one minute for shutting down the device or the future of the base is solved.
      yes, but first they must stop off at the free stargate store to pick one up. Make that two stargates, they will need a new one for Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
        That might not have been the intention. It's not like they can write the rules for how technology is used.
        With the Ancients, I wouldn't put it past them.

Yet they left that piece of tech just laying around....after they had all glowy octopused away.

Not that I'm slamming that particular piece of tech because I liked its use to defeat the Replicators, but I hate the Ancients.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

There are many different factors from both "Wraith War" periods that demonstrate the flaws with the Attero device. Here's the Scenarios...

10,000 years ago and Attero Device flawed:
          1a) Significantly larger human population with more frequent gate use resulting in high Friendly Casualties
          2a) Wraith are unified and share a psychic link, limited number of ships will be destroyed before they are all aware.
          3a) Same thing with unstable gates, limited number of darts and wraith will be destroyed before they are all aware.
          4a) Before the Ancients can destroy them, any Wraith near inhabited planets will abandon their ships and consume the entire human population, resulting in high Friendly Casulties

10,000 years ago and Attero Device working perfectly:
          1b) 2a,4a occur
          2b) Wraith are now forced to use the stargate system and darts and become more spread out in mobile smaller groups throughout the galaxy
          3b) Wraith will eventually develop different hyperspace capability

Present Day and Attero Device flawed:
          1c) 2a,3a,4a occur but immediate Wraith casualties are higher since the psychic link is severed and faction based.
          2c) With unusable gate systems and no Ancients to track and destroy the stranded Wraith fleet, a stale mate occurs

Present Day and Attero Device fixed:
          1d) 1b,2b,3b occur except we have limited ships and resources to track enough of the Wraith hives before they develop different hyperspace capability.

Comment

deus ex machina. wiki it.
            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadil View Post
              deus ex machina. wiki it.
              Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

yeah, i was thinking the same thing... DEM

and yes, it is sort of a perennial inclusion in Science Fiction... i simply don't like it

and it CAN work if done properly... but a lot of times it isn't

as for symbiote poison being a DEM,.... in a word NO

that's not something (unless i'm mistaken) that we just happend to stumble upon... its something that had a logical genesis: the Tok'Ra developed it as a weapon... ergo, its not really a DEM
              Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
              Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
              Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
              Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vespasianus View Post
                At least the Attero device and the Dakara weapon had a decent scientific explanation unlike the Sangraal and The Ark of Truth.

Besides, something tells me the Attero device will be destroyed.
                I was going to say, at least the Attero device has some absolutely terrible consequences. The Ark of Truth in particular was just a terrible plot device, it's only terrible consequences were that I had to watch a bad movie.

Which of course means that they'll have to destroy it.

Anyway, I don't think the Attero device is going to be used to completely wipe out the wraith in this case. SO it's not as bad as the AoT and the Sangraal anyway. It's not as much of a deus ex machina because the resolution of the plot doesn't hang on it in the same way ( I assume). It just serves to set up the plot (which isn't quite as bad).

Still, these "doomsday" devices are beyond old.

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                TBH, I'm more tierd with Daniel being unable to be in a storyline these days that does not include badly compsed Ancient riddles (at least this time they spared us their content ) and a superweapon to destroy all X in the galaxy.

*snort*
                "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                  as for symbiote poison being a DEM,.... in a word NO

that's not something (unless i'm mistaken) that we just happend to stumble upon... its something that had a logical genesis: the Tok'Ra developed it as a weapon... ergo, its not really a DEM
                  First of all, you didn't say anything about deus ex machina in your original post. You said there was no "kill all" weapon against the Goa'uld. Well, the symbiote poison was a "kill all" weapon against the Goa'uld. Second, it doesn't matter how the deus ex machina comes about. All the other super weapons also had logical origins. A deus ex machina is simply an unexpected solution to a seemingly unsolvable problem that wraps everything up perfectly. The symbiote poison wasn't a deus ex machina because it doesn't solve the problem without complications. It could kill all the Goa'uld but it would also kill the Jaffa and the Tok'Ra. The Sangraal and the Attero device can't really be considered deus ex machina either since they both have other consequences as well. The Sangraal could have been used against the Ancients and the Attero device blows up Stargates.

Comment

I think that the early episodes had the teams fighting for every inch but then we did get lucky
                    More recently we have been getting some massive weapons. The ones yu have mentioned
                    I would also include the Dakara Superweapon which was used against the replicators. The only difference here was that initially it wasn't a weapon and it required a bit of a tweaking to work against just replicators. Heck we even tried to use it a second time but it got blown up.

The worst instrument ever would have to be the Ark of Truth which was a magic box and we found it only with the help of ancient which really the broke rules (yes yes there is a fine line involved).

The Attero device is pretty cool despite its obvious problems. Especially the destruction of those Hives. Seriously Todd knows everything (whats betting he is at least 10,000yrs old).

But then again there haven't been too many bad guys on Stargate to have too many machines:
                    Goauld-we fought each one and found toxins, nukes and stargates blowing up suns.. At the end of all things we even had the ancient chair device.
                    Admit there was no weapon for them

Replicators- Dakara Superweapon. Discovered almost the episode before.
                    Ori-Sangraal (alas we didn't even see it do anything fancy onscreen) and ark of truth

Wraith-closest is the Attero so far
                    Asurans-Fran and her attractive power

Point being is that there weren't too many species we fought to suggest a pattern. I could similarly argue that only humanoid species don't have kill all devices eg. Goauld, ?Genii, ?Lucian Alliance

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Directly it destroyed the Replicators but indirectly it destroyed the Goa'uld due to being weak after fighting Replicators
                      This is this and that is that. Without the Dakara superweapon, the Goa'uld would still be weak/dead/extinct/close to extinction from their fight with the Replicators.

The demise of the replicators, if anything, helped the Goa'uld, in that what few of them were still alive were left unharmed by the replicators.

Comment

Working...
                      X