Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously they couldn't mount a better defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by col aga View Post
    Exactly. Why wasn't he sent there immediately it's another thing I don't understand. Also, why didn't they have anyone (Jack would be perfect, but come on, he and Sheppard aren't the only people on Earth with the ancient gene..)at stanby near the chair, just in case John didn't make it on time?

It's just one plot hole after another..
    Well that part is actually understandable. Jack and Sheppard are the only people we know of who've actually proven to be able to handle the drone platform properly. Look at what happened when Becket first sat in that chair in Rising. And that was just one drone! They probably didn't want to risk putting someone else in the chair, in case they do more harm than good.

And the reason Jack wasn't there was because he was in Washington, not expecting the Wraith to be here for a good while.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

i though landry went to cover hamonds job because he died

im asuming odessy was realy far away the only real bad weakness in the episode was how easy the chair was lst realy they should have used like 1000 darts and have them cut through most of earths air power but SFX budget isnt bottomless

also there is a chair onboard tria speaking of which why is that still in a plot hole

with ronno for a secon i thought TPTB had the balls to kill a character clearly not

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
        Already, I;ve been biting my tongue for weeks on this since I first saw the episode.

1) Firstly, there is no way that any of the IOA member nations would have allowed the Chair to be moved from Antarctica into sole US possession. And speaking of which, does that mean that ZPM is gone now too?

2) Bring Sheppard back from Pegasus to operate it? They've got Oneill, and who knows how many more that could work it.

3) There should have been hundreds of fighters that could have defended Area 51. f-22s, stealths, and who knows how many more. It's frickin' Area 51! Instead they just use a single group of 302s.

4) Isn't prevent stuff like this from happening what the SGC has done for the last 10 years? Where were all the SG teams/offworld allies/Cam Mitchell craziness? (I know, it's SGA).

Any others?
        1. They probably would not have had much choice. And besides, it does make sense. We are the ones with the Gate program, and with the super secret facilities designed to hold up, and support this equipment. And no, I doubt we lost the ZPM.
        2. Shep is the best, as explained in that episode. And he is a general, not neccessarily someone who fires weapons.
        3. On this you are completly right. Darts suck. A supporting Squadron of F-15s or 16s would have ripped right on through them.
        4. Well, the SGC did prevent this from happening. The Asgard are dead, who knows what happening with the free jaffa, (besides they probably could not have gotten there in time), and SG-1 is likely with the Oddesye.

Comment

The ZPMs on Atlantis were likely 99% delepted after using the Worm Hole Drive. Remember Zelenka said it was abandoned by the Ancients due to the massive power requirements.
          The shots from the hive took the shields down so low because there wasn't enough power in the ZPMs to sustain them.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
            The ZPMs on Atlantis were likely 99% delepted after using the Worm Hole Drive. Remember Zelenka said it was abandoned by the Ancients due to the massive power requirements.
            The shots from the hive took the shields down so low because there wasn't enough power in the ZPMs to sustain them.
            I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
              By massive power requirements I think he meant that it required a huge burst of energy that could only be provided by a zpm not that it required a large sustained amount of energy. And the shields were depleted like any other shields we see in the series, they all seem to charge over time or something. Or maybe they just couldn't be sustained because of the huge amount of power being used by the chair and whatever type of thruster it was using to try to maintain orbit. And when becket said he didn't have enough power he was probably saying that the zmps could not provide enough power to do so many tasks at once not that they were almost depleted.

Comment

And here's another question about the Chair. If they had to move it, why didn't they move it to the SGC instead of Area 51. If it was at the SGC, then they would have been able to use its ZPM for direct connects to Atlantis when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                  And here's another question about the Chair. If they had to move it, why didn't they move it to the SGC instead of Area 51. If it was at the SGC, then they would have been able to use its ZPM for direct connects to Atlantis when needed.
                  IMO, it was a situation for all your eggs being in one basket. If the SGC was destroyed the chair would have been destroyed. IMO, the chair should have been kept at a separate hardened location.

Comment

I can sooner understand that one. If the SGC is compromised, the standby plan B is nuking Cheyenne Mountain, lol. Not the safest place for Earth's only real defensive weapon.
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Good point.
                      Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                      I can sooner understand that one. If the SGC is compromised, the standby plan B is nuking Cheyenne Mountain, lol. Not the safest place for Earth's only real defensive weapon.
                      Better point.

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                        Also, why didn't they have anyone (Jack would be perfect, but come on, he and Sheppard aren't the only people on Earth with the ancient gene..)at stanby near the chair, just in case John didn't make it on time?
                        I agree, but it's possible that Shep & Jack are the only ones who can do it. Carson's supposedly Atlantis' #2 most skilled operator, and while he did a good job, he was only firing a couple dozen drones at a time all at a single stationary humongous target.

Jack on the other hand managed hundreds (if not thousands) at once while targeting multiple motherships, bombers, fighters and even a few ground troops at once.

Shep has also been shown to control many more also at multiple moving targets.

While Beckett seemed good enough for what they needed him for, if that's the best he can do and he's the #3 best, anyone but Jack or Shep in the chair wouldn't be too helpful.
                        sigpic
                        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by SgaIsBad View Post
                          Isn't Area 51 designed to withstand a nuclear blast? I assume that means it has many underground levels a mile underground or something along the lines similar as SG-1 Command. Therefore how could 2 darts crashing into it destroy the entire base. Wouldn't you put the weapons chair in the bottom sub levels to protect it?
                          Because it was in the script?

Ewnif

"...
                          I've spent my whole life sticking it to the man. If I do this, I'll be the man. I don't think I can be the man. ..."
                          Col. Jack O'Neill - Season 8 - New Order Part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                            I agree, but it's possible that Shep & Jack are the only ones who can do it. Carson's supposedly Atlantis' #2 most skilled operator, and while he did a good job, he was only firing a couple dozen drones at a time all at a single stationary humongous target.

Jack on the other hand managed hundreds (if not thousands) at once while targeting multiple motherships, bombers, fighters and even a few ground troops at once.

Shep has also been shown to control many more also at multiple moving targets.

While Beckett seemed good enough for what they needed him for, if that's the best he can do and he's the #3 best, anyone but Jack or Shep in the chair wouldn't be too helpful.
                            Your forgetting a very important piece of information.... Jack had all the knowledge in his head when he was firing all the drones... so it might of had something to do with his ability to fire them so effieciently
                            67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
                              You can only do so much in such a period of time. Yeah, they could have done more, but would have required more show time and el dinero. $$
                              Oh you mean like with "Vegas"?

Ewnif

"...
                              I've spent my whole life sticking it to the man. If I do this, I'll be the man. I don't think I can be the man. ..."
                              Col. Jack O'Neill - Season 8 - New Order Part 2

Comment

Originally posted by ewnif View Post
                                Oh you mean like with "Vegas"?

I liked Vegas but the finale should have been a two episode arc.

Comment

Working...
                                X