This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
    With real world addicts, weaning or substituting one drug for another isn't nearly as effective as cutting a person off and having them go through the withdrawal process despite it being very rough for the person.
    True. It's difficult to tell how long the initial thrashing and all took, from the way they filmed it, but it's not just a few hours. Which makes me wonder, gee, just what happens when they had to go to the bathroom?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      Despite it's not easy for us to see someone in such agony truthfully weaning them off is the best choice for optimal effect.
      Weaning someone off it means giving them smaller and smaller doses until they don't need it, that's the easy route, not the painful one. For optimal effect they were forced to go cold turkey, ie just stopping them from having the substance at all.

Comment

Re:
        SGA - SciFi Heaven: Review of 'Broken Ties'
        Boy, that review is astonishingly harsh! I've been a major critic of SGA since (about) the third season, but I think it's important to give credit where credit is due. They are clearly making a real effort to address the problems with the show that started in season 3 (IMO) and became a huge problem by season 4 (again, IMO). Very few things in this world turn on a dime.

And while I had many problems with some parts of SG-1 season 9 (*cough-writing of Vala-cough*), I wouldn't call it tired. I didn't read the whole review, I must admit. The excepts were enough to tell me how much I disagree. EDIT: Now read...

And, come on now! A D+?
        Very few would quibble with the acting in the episode, the critic acknowledges that the dialogue and production are good. The points made about writing choices in the review are quite valid (go to SciFi Heaven to see those), but still? D+? Really?
        Last edited by amconway; 27 July 2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
          Re:
          SGA - SciFi Heaven: Review of 'Broken Ties'
          Boy, that review is astonishingly harsh! I've been a major critic of SGA since (about) the third season, but I think it's important to give credit where credit is due. They are clearly making a real effort to address the problems with the show that started in season 3 (IMO) and became a huge problem by season 4 (again, IMO). Very few things in this world turn on a dime.

And while I had many problems with some parts of SG-1 season 9 (*cough-writing of Vala-cough*), I wouldn't call it tired. I didn't read the whole review, I must admit. The excepts were enough to tell me how much I disagree.

And, come on now! A D+?
          Very few would quibble with the acting in the episode, the critic acknowledges that the dialogue and production are good. The points made about writing choices in the review are quite valid (go to SciFi Heaven to see those), but still? D+? Really?
          I've triedto find it on the site but can't.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Nusku View Post
            My review of "Broken Ties" doesn't meet the requirements for the review thread.

Ronon gets captured and turned by a wraith. Unsuprisingly, by the end of the episode he has been rescued and unturned. Yawn.

Teyla makes the unshocking decision to rejoin Shepards team. Yawn.

Ronon's pal eventually did the right thing and sacrificed himself; I didn't see that coming. Yawn.

What would have been way more interesting, and unpredictable, is if Ronon didn't get unturned and had stayed a wraith worshipper for a good number of episodes, thus becoming Atlantis' nemesis.

Keller's voice and persona were as grating as usual. Woolsey had no real reason to be featured in the episode and did not appear to be a leader in any way, shape or form.

This episode was as dull, predictable and boring as the other two offerings from this season. Quite annoying really as it's the only current TV show I watch. Based on what I've seen so far this season I'm expecting SGA to get cancelled.

I'll give it 1/10 for Ronon's sword work.
            Unfortunately, you're right, there wasn't anything new or creative here. What saved the episode for me were some very nice character moments.

Keller, yes she's irritating at best. But at least she had a very small role here. Woolsey, I liked. He didn't take a strong leadership role (I'm hoping he'll grow into that) but I thought RP managed to make him sympathetic, humorous and dignified. He was one of the best things about the show for me.

Because I enjoyed Season's 1-4. Season 5 has been utter tripe so far and therefore I feel annoyed.
            I'm surprised you're enjoyment includes season 4. Most people I've noticed found the changes from season 3 to 4 jarring. If you could find a way to like season 4 (I hated most of it), I don't know why you dislike this season so much.

Comment

My review of "Broken Ties" doesn't meet the requirements for the review thread.

Ronon gets captured and turned by a wraith. Unsuprisingly, by the end of the episode he has been rescued and unturned. Yawn.

Teyla makes the unshocking decision to rejoin Shepards team. Yawn.

Ronon's pal eventually did the right thing and sacrificed himself; I didn't see that coming. Yawn.

What would have been way more interesting, and unpredictable, is if Ronon didn't get unturned and had stayed a wraith worshipper for a good number of episodes, thus becoming Atlantis' nemesis.

Keller's voice and persona were as grating as usual. Woolsey had no real reason to be featured in the episode and did not appear to be a leader in any way, shape or form.

This episode was as dull, predictable and boring as the other two offerings from this season. Quite annoying really as it's the only current TV show I watch. Based on what I've seen so far this season I'm expecting SGA to get cancelled.

I'll give it 1/10 for Ronon's sword work.
              I totally agree. The episode was boring and predictable. Everyone gets captured/stuck in a room/hole these days. Hahaha
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                I'm surprised you're enjoyment includes season 4. Most people I've noticed found the changes from season 3 to 4 jarring. If you could find a way to like season 4 (I hated most of it), I don't know why you dislike this season so much.
                I agree with Cautious Explorer. It's beyond me how anyone could like S4 but not S5, since they're basically in the same vein.

Comment

http://www.scifiheaven.net/index.php...e-broken-ties/
                  There ya go!

Comment

I still find that TPTB cannot film fight scenes. They look so....weird...

Comment

Well, if by bad you mean good, then hopefully it gets worse, as it's been great.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        Well, if by bad you mean good, then hopefully it gets worse, as it's been great.

You've lost me. What post are you responding to?

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                          I agree with Cautious Explorer. It's beyond me how anyone could like S4 but not S5, since they're basically in the same vein.
                          I think S5 is a huge improvement on S4 so far
                          sigpic

Comment

I've never found that, although when you use swords, it is harder to do realistically. It's pretty hard not to damage the actors if you do. Mostly because very few actors have a lot of training with swords.
                            SGA tends to overuse fight scenes, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

You've lost me. What post are you responding to?
                              The thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                                I've never found that, although when you use swords, it is harder to do realistically. It's pretty hard not to damage the actors if you do. Mostly because very few actors have a lot of training with swords.
                                SGA tends to overuse fight scenes, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
                                In the other one when Ronon fights with his satedans the camera was so bad that you could not follow. In this one, the same. When Ronon was fighting Marc, there were moments when the camera was not properly on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X