This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
    Well even if you go by the logic that it's never been explained, then this episode is the sign pointing to it not being that he was immune.
    Precisely! Perhaps we should be thanking the writers for answering a question that has bothered some sections of fandom for three years instead of berating them for not having answered it sooner
    sigpic

Comment

Atlantis is back baby!
      *This* is what I love about this show - when it's good.... it's fantastic!

This week, Atlantis had that 'old school' feel about it. All the little details about city life and the real spread of characters and sets used (and getting to see more of Atlantis and it’s daily life- they're still serving a hot breakfast at 10am!? Does every room in Atlantis come with a bath like Rodney’s? Is everyone allowed a veritable wine cellar in their quarters or just the leader?)...it made me like it again. TBH, that's why I loved this show in the first place - all these weird individuals (and you do have to be a certain kind of person to agree to what was potentially a one-way trip) and how they reacted to this entirely unfamiliar city and galaxy.
      It's nice to see *all* the characters getting moments. Obviously, this was a little more of a Ronon vehicle (and wow, that detox scene!) but when the writer's get it right, like they did here, the character development and interaction is of a very high standard. Rachel and Jason hit it out of the park with their respective scenes. Jason so far has been *way* underutilised and it was so good so see what he can do. So far, they seem to be handling Teyla's storyline very nicely - they managed to convey that internal conflict without it being over the top or even worse, preachy.
      The final montage was probably my favourite scene: between the gorgeous music, and the scenes of the various characters being so *themselves* - this could really be the season that Atlantis both returns to its roots and finds its feet.

Woolsey is.... in my view, a better character for this position than Carter (And I am iin now way a Carter-hater). With Woolsey they have the chance to really explore him and flesh him out - let him fail and see how he grows. He's almost 'the audience' - totally new, totally out of his element. From what I see, he's a brilliant bureaucrat and perhaps, is better suited to evaluating leaders than actually being one and so, having to take that position will really help him to grow as a character and *that's* what great storytelling is all about. Poor kid, the doors wouldn't even open for him!
      It's also kinda refreshing to see people have to ask for permission, it seemed as though, for a while, there was no leadership, no 'checks and balances' and that tension between 'why can't I just go if I think it's a good idea' and 'sometimes, those rules aren't going to work here' will hopefully play out really nicely. (It doesn't hurt that I think Robert Picardo is a very talented actor).
      I do, however, miss the old semi-circle table. It was interesting. The new one reminds me too much of my day-job. Oh well, the new shots of city life are almost an acceptable trade-off. The pretty-pretty-pretty black/gold of the night scenes made me sigh a little.

Hoping for more wicked-good episodes - this could be a very, very good season.

Comment

My review of "Broken Ties" doesn't meet the requirements for the review thread.

Ronon gets captured and turned by a wraith. Unsuprisingly, by the end of the episode he has been rescued and unturned. Yawn.

Teyla makes the unshocking decision to rejoin Shepards team. Yawn.

Ronon's pal eventually did the right thing and sacrificed himself; I didn't see that coming. Yawn.

What would have been way more interesting, and unpredictable, is if Ronon didn't get unturned and had stayed a wraith worshipper for a good number of episodes, thus becoming Atlantis' nemesis.

Keller's voice and persona were as grating as usual. Woolsey had no real reason to be featured in the episode and did not appear to be a leader in any way, shape or form.

This episode was as dull, predictable and boring as the other two offerings from this season. Quite annoying really as it's the only current TV show I watch. Based on what I've seen so far this season I'm expecting SGA to get cancelled.

I'll give it 1/10 for Ronon's sword work.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nusku View Post
          My review of "Broken Ties" doesn't meet the requirements for the review thread.

Ronon gets captured and turned by a wraith. Unsuprisingly, by the end of the episode he has been rescued and unturned. Yawn.

Teyla makes the unshocking decision to rejoin Shepards team. Yawn.

Ronon's pal eventually did the right thing and sacrificed himself; I didn't see that coming. Yawn.

What would have been way more interesting, and unpredictable, is if Ronon didn't get unturned and had stayed a wraith worshipper for a good number of episodes, thus becoming Atlantis' nemesis.

Keller's voice and persona were as grating as usual. Woolsey had no real reason to be featured in the episode and did not appear to be a leader in any way, shape or form.

This episode was as dull, predictable and boring as the other two offerings from this season. Quite annoying really as it's the only current TV show I watch. Based on what I've seen so far this season I'm expecting SGA to get cancelled.

I'll give it 1/10 for Ronon's sword work.
          If you hate SGA so much why watch it.

Comment

He'd cut off his feeding hand... how would you feel if someone cut out your stomach?
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
              why watch it.
              Because I enjoyed Season's 1-4. Season 5 has been utter tripe so far and therefore I feel annoyed.
              sigpic

Comment

Because I enjoyed Season's 1-4. Season 5 has been utter tripe so far and therefore I feel annoyed.
                Season 5 has been received quite well so far by most SGA fans so maybe its you with the problem.

Comment

Perhaps you will like "The Daedalus Variations".

Comment

It's too early to tell s5 is bad - S&R was mediocre and TS was awful, but I quite enjoyed BT. From the looks of it, DV is gonna be awesome though.
                    Mia: Don't you hate that?
                    Vincent: Hate what?
                    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                    - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Lol aye ok.
                      Last edited by marty2006; 27 July 2008, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Wow that sounds like... every single episode of Stargate ever.

Also apparantly if they don't resolve and explain every problem within an episode it's bad/sloppy/lazy writing with no continuity.

This is the way Stargate's always been. Maybe you've outgrown it.

Sometimes I wish TPTB wouldn't pay so much attention the the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Libre View Post
                          I do, however, miss the old semi-circle table. It was interesting. The new one reminds me too much of my day-job.
                          Wow, you work at the SGC?
                          sigpic

Comment

I love when people break out the "yawn," especially when their connected complaints about how things like Sheppard's hunch being right are what they took issue with.

If you loved S1 - 4, then you should know that the things you're unhappy with happened in pretty much every episode of each of those four seasons.

But nevertheless, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I thought it was easily the worst of S5, but it's not like it was offensively bad for me or anything. There were some good points, including Teyla's b-plot. On that point, by the way, what were you expecting? "Yawn" for Teyla returning? She had to unless she was going to be written out of the show.

Anyway, next week's looks good. Hope you enjoy that one.
                            Last edited by KindlyKeller; 28 July 2008, 07:24 AM.
                            Theoretically spoilerish:
                            Spoiler:
                            Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

i thought the wraith couldn't feed on ronan, isn't that why they made him a runner? thats the impression i got when he was introduced. or maybe he got chosen to be a runner because he was so strong?
                              Xtremixt

All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the shadow and the breaking of the world. And him they named Dragon.

Comment

The latter
                                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                                X