Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the CGI budget in season 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are all picky I noticed nothing "bad" or "cringe-worthy" in any of those eps. It all looked fine to me.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    ---
    sigpic

Comment

The worst CGI by far was BAMSR... I mean, since when are hives bright purple?
      Last edited by s09119; 15 March 2010, 08:24 AM.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        The worse CGI by far was BAMSR... I mean, since when are hives bright purple?
        I haven't been impressed by the special effects in Atlantis since First Strike.
        sigpic

Comment

The worse CGI by far was BAMSR... I mean, since when are hives bright purple?
          oh god bamsr was an epic fail thru and thru when it comes to the cgi.

Comment

SGU's CGI is amazing, while SGA's was awful
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              SGU's CGI is amazing, while SGA's was awful
              actually it isnt that much better and "amazing" is a def overstatement, and SGA's wasnt shamefull it just had its bad momements

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Most of it goes to increased salaries for the cast and crew
                Ah right. It's a pity they couldn't have used some of that money to invest in some new writing blood.

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                properly pay the actors, writers, crew (who include the director, lighting, sound, camera men, props, stunts, sets, catering, CGI people, etc, etc) and thats just man power!

(damn. Jelgate beat me too it)
                Yes you have to be on the ball to beat Jel

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                heeeey...I liked McKeller.
                *ducks for cover*
                *throws some Tuna sandwiches at gotthammer*
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                  actually it isnt that much better and "amazing" is a def overstatement, and SGA's wasnt shamefull it just had its bad momements
                  Look at the first 15 minutes of SGU and the last 15 minutes of SGA and I guarantee you I just disproved your argument.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

well SG1 suffered the same fate. just watch Unending. those explosions *cries*

however, CGI is terribly expensive. main reason :time consuming.

Comment

Look at the first 15 minutes of SGU and the last 15 minutes of SGA and I guarantee you I just disproved your argument.
                      you didnt disprove anything and comparing EATG's rushed poor cgi with Air part one is just so wrong on so many levels.
                      first of all EATG as a whole was rushed poorly edited and terribly slapped together CG, Air was planned they had months to perfect everything and edit it so you cant compare the two, instead compare the CGI in adrift first strike the siege etc as those eps were visually stunning,

and if you compare those they are very similar in quality and as i am a 3D artist with a passion for the stargate style myself i have watched so much CG footage from both SG1 SGA and SGU and this is closeup HD quality footage and frames while making my own SG models so i can with confidence say that i know what i am talking about.

examples of my own work
                      Spoiler:

for one destiny doesnt hold up in close up shots and you can see alot of cheats by the artists especially texture wise and in comparisen the daedalus holds up better in closeups and so does Atlantis.

what im trying to say is if you dont know what you are talking about you cant judge the quality from a 10sec glance in the show you have to study it frame by frame and also know what software the artist have used and what can ultimatly be acchieved with it.

and clearly you are not qualified to disprove any of my statements on the subject.
                      Last edited by Alx; 15 March 2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        well SG1 suffered the same fate. just watch Unending. those explosions *cries*

however, CGI is terribly expensive. main reason :time consuming.
                        oh i hear ya there *Cries* indeed.

Comment

i think the main flaw of atlantis is and remains money. they had practically the same budget as SG1 yet had a different and more money-consuming setting. in SG1? a lab is nothing more than a small room, add a metal table, some computers, a locker or so, and you're done. SGA had it's own style, an entire city, and an alien race's stuff.

400 000 dollars is spent on CGI in SG1/Atlantis. SGU has + 1 000 000 dollars. this means that they can DOUBLE the CGI expenses and then have 600 000 dollars left to spend on more cast, the sets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            i think the main flaw of atlantis is and remains money. they had practically the same budget as SG1 yet had a different and more money-consuming setting. in SG1? a lab is nothing more than a small room, add a metal table, some computers, a locker or so, and you're done. SGA had it's own style, an entire city, and an alien race's stuff.

400 000 dollars is spent on CGI in SG1/Atlantis. SGU has + 1 000 000 dollars. this means that they can DOUBLE the CGI expenses and then have 600 000 dollars left to spend on more cast, the sets, etc.
                            '

Still the quality is NOT that much better that is my entire point. you can pour alot more money into it but the quality will remain pretty much the same as TIME is more important then money when it comes to CGI.

Comment

Anyone remember that building collapsing in Last Man? I think that was enough foreboding of bad CGI yet to come...

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The worst CGI by far was BAMSR... I mean, since when are hives bright purple?
                                Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                                I haven't been impressed by the special effects in Atlantis since First Strike.
                                Originally posted by Alx View Post
                                oh god bamsr was an epic fail thru and thru when it comes to the cgi.
                                It was horrid. I thought the story was horrid, so I suppose that works out well.
                                Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                                I don't even pretend to know how the CGI world works, but the puddle effect and city itself in "Enemy at the Gate" were cringe-worthy. Don't recall anything that awful.
                                The final shot of Atlantis entering Earth's atmosphere lacked all texture and looked like a LEGO block Atlantis. That and the model itself looked incorrect around the 'pier' areas. And now I'm hearing that they aired the temp VFX? *sigh*

It's odd... Back when special visual effects were actually 'expensive' and 'special', it was great to see a Goa'uld mothership or an Asgard mothership just floating there, much less actually doing something. And now that it's 'cheaper', it's popping up more and more in every almost every episode and seems somehow substandard and not 'special' anymore.
                                Last edited by nx01a; 20 March 2010, 03:01 PM.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X