This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    That depnds. Does SciFi know how to round. Based on their promos, I'm saying they report a 1.3
    You realise we are talking about scifi right?
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Well the season is already off to a better start than last season. So that is always a good sign. They were also up in some key demos which is very important.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        What do you use to make those graphs?
        Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
        Probably Excel. I could make the same thing using it.
        yup
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Everyone wants solid data for how Atlantis's ratings have fallen, so, I made this. It is a point for point plot of the ratings of each and every episode of Atlantis.

Atlantis Ratings.jpg

The three peaks of Season 4 are BAMSR, Midway because Teal'c came, and the Season Finale, TLM. The graph also shows trends throughout the seasons, though Season 4 kinda breaks the mold because it didn't premier during the summer like the others. And, for the sake of completion, Season's 5 premier was a 1.3.

I was startled to see that several Season 2 episodes did better than their corresponding Season 1 episodes. I was also surprised to see the back halves of Seasons 3 and 4 doing about the same. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the back half of Season 4 did not do considerably better than Season 3. In fact, most of Season 3 did considerably better than 4.

With Season 5 premiering at about the same level as Season 4, it looks like Atlantis has 'bottomed out.' The good news is that SciFi saw fit to renew the show after Season 4, so if the ratings hold steady for 5, then we should get a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
            Everyone wants solid data for how Atlantis's ratings have fallen, so, I made this. It is a point for point plot of the ratings of each and every episode of Atlantis.

[ATTACH]6214[/ATTACH]

The three peaks of Season 4 are BAMSR, Midway because Teal'c came, and the Season Finale, TLM. The graph also shows trends throughout the seasons, though Season 4 kinda breaks the mold because it didn't premier during the summer like the others. And, for the sake of completion, Season's 5 premier was a 1.3.

I was startled to see that several Season 2 episodes did better than their corresponding Season 1 episodes. I was also surprised to see the back halves of Seasons 3 and 4 doing about the same. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the back half of Season 4 did not do considerably better than Season 3. In fact, most of Season 3 did considerably better than 4.

With Season 5 premiering at about the same level as Season 4, it looks like Atlantis has 'bottomed out.' The good news is that SciFi saw fit to renew the show after Season 4, so if the ratings hold steady for 5, then we should get a 6.
            Season 4 showed them leveling out and then even increasing over the previous season towards the 2nd half. Now Season 5 is off to a better start than Season 4, so if they stay steady then season 6 should see the light of day.

The Season 5 Premiere could very well see a 1.6 HH rating after the final numbers. "Adrift" saw a 1.4 Rating.

Season 4.5 did much better than Season 3.5, imo. Season 3.5 averaged like 1.7 million viewers, Season 4.5 averaged 2.2 million viewers. Clearly 500,000 more viewers averaged for Season 4.5!

Again for the record...

Season 3.0 = 2.1 Million viewers
            Season 3.5 = 1.7 Million viewers
            Season 4.0 = 1.8 Million viewers
            Season 4.5 = 2.2 Million viewers

Ratings points should not really be compared from an episode today and an episode from 2 years ago.
            Last edited by Briangate78; 17 July 2008, 05:39 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              Season 4 showed them leveling out and then even increasing over the previous season towards the 2nd half. Now Season 5 is off to a better start than Season 4, so if they stay steady then season 6 should see the light of day.

The Season 5 Premiere could very well see a 1.6 HH rating after the final numbers. "Adrift" saw a 1.4 Rating.

Season 4.5 did much better than Season 3.5, imo. Season 3.5 averaged like 1.7 million viewers, Season 4.5 averaged 2.2 million viewers. Clearly 500,000 more viewers averaged for Season 4.5!

Again for the record...

Season 3.0 = 2.1 Million viewers
              Season 3.5 = 1.7 Million viewers
              Season 4.0 = 1.8 Million viewers
              Season 4.5 = 2.2 Million viewers

Ratings points should not really be compared from an episode today and an episode from 2 years ago.
              I fail to see why ratings points should not be compared over the lifetime of a show. It seems perfectly logical to me... We used to do it all the time in Star Trek, comparing ratings from TNG to VOY and ENT. Perhaps you could explain in more detail...

As for your numbers, I'm not sure where you got them. I simply went by the posted live + same day ratings from SciFi. No, it didn't include syndication because I could not find figures throughout the series. Nor could I find figures for DVR recordings... If you have figures for this data, I would be happy to update the graph. I simply cannot find data to substantiate the increase that you're advocating in 4.5 versus 3.5.

Comment

From what I can understand of this ratings jumbo, 1 ratings point does not represent the same number of viewers as time passes.

Comment

I fail to see why ratings points should not be compared over the lifetime of a show. It seems perfectly logical to me... We used to do it all the time in Star Trek, comparing ratings from TNG to VOY and ENT. Perhaps you could explain in more detail...
                  it's ok to compare ratings but you should also compare total viewers the ratings point ratio never stays consistant and only the live +7 numbers show the true potential. for example:

320 FS: live +sd -> 1.5 (2 million viewers); live +7 -> 2.2 million viewers
                  420 TLM: live +sd: 1.5 (2.1 million viewers); live +7 -> 1.8 (2.6million viewers)

or

303 Irresistable: live + 7 -> 1.59 (1.9 million viewers)
                  408 The Seer : live +7 -> 1.34 (1.9 million viewers)

see the difference?
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi again,

I did some more research and understand a little bit more on the topic. I understand that ratings are simply a percentage of households watching. I understand now why more viewers could be watching a lower rated show from one year to the next.

However, I think the percentages are far more valuable than the number of viewers. Season 3.5 had an average rating of of 1.4, and season 4.5 had a average rating of 1.35. The fact that one has a higher number of viewers is simply because more households were watching. Yet, a fewer percentage of those households were watching than the previous year! I don't see that as particularly strong evidence that 4.5 did better than 3.5. It's just evidence that more Americans were watching TV. If I did the numbers right, roughly 40 million more Americans were watching TV from 3.5 to 4.5, but only 500,000 of them were tuning into Atlantis.

I respect your position on the matter, and find merit in the fact that DVR numbers were not taken into account. I look forward to seeing those numbers come out. If the numbers hold, I also look forward to getting Atlantis Season 6, hopefully minus a few cast changes that I particularly hated.

Comment

As for your numbers, I'm not sure where you got them. I simply went by the posted live + same day ratings from SciFi. No, it didn't include syndication because I could not find figures throughout the series. Nor could I find figures for DVR recordings... If you have figures for this data, I would be happy to update the graph. I simply cannot find data to substantiate the increase that you're advocating in 4.5 versus 3.5.
                      I have a few sources and some of the Live+7 numbers were in press releases. This is comparing apples to apples.

I also know that the total live viewers were also higher in Season 4.5 than Season 3.5 by nearly 100,000 total viewers.
                      sigpic

Comment

The Live+7 numbers seem to be the numbers that best show the number of people watching. And going by the Live+7 viewership has increased as of 3.5 to 4.5 with almost a half a million more viewers tuning in on average for every episode. With the start of season 5 doing better the the start of season 4 I think its easy to say that Atlantis ratings have not fallen as of late but rised quite well. I belive ratings will continue with this trend and possibly increase throught the rest of the season.

Comment

I know the initial US ratings are gathered using the Neilsen(sp?) families, but when they do the Live + ratings, is everyone's DVR usage included, or just those households with the Neilsen box?
                          Just wanted to know if I am helping or not by playing my recording within the timeframe?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
                            The Live+7 numbers seem to be the numbers that best show the number of people watching. And going by the Live+7 viewership has increased as of 3.5 to 4.5 with almost a half a million more viewers tuning in on average for every episode. With the start of season 5 doing better the the start of season 4 I think its easy to say that Atlantis ratings have not fallen as of late but rised quite well. I belive ratings will continue with this trend and possibly increase throught the rest of the season.
                            ratings and viewer numbers

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                            I know the initial US ratings are gathered using the Neilsen(sp?) families, but when they do the Live + ratings, is everyone's DVR usage included, or just those households with the Neilsen box?
                            Just wanted to know if I am helping or not by playing my recording within the timeframe?
                            only those with Nielsen boxes and those viewers can't FF (C3)
                            sigpic

Comment

Lol yes thats what i meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
                                Lol yes thats what i meant.
                                I thought so
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X