This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    This isn't the place to whine about Mallozzi's blog, though to be fair I can see how personal comments about the actors are not getting through.
    If you'd read again, you'll notice that I wasn't the one who brought actors personal appearances into the forum. Another poster did and that got through so it's unusual that a right of reply wasn't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      it's his blog. Joe can do whatever he wants
      A man putting a halt to a discussion about sexism? Wow. That's totally never happened before.

/eyeroll

Comment

Yeah...if you still can't see why he blocked you, then...well, ignorance is bliss.

Originally posted by sarcasmo View Post
        LOL. You think I care?
        Yes. Otherwise, you wouldn't have brought it up.

Comment

As a side note, while I'm on record as hating this idea at this stage, I have to say, I think TPTB take too much flak sometimes.

i.e. Huge Weir fans saying, "These idiots can't write female characters - never have, never will." Apparently they did at some point, because you're a huge Weir fan, right?

I'm not saying it's their strength. I'm just saying they're not patently bad at it.
          Theoretically spoilerish:
          Spoiler:
          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
            i.e. Huge Weir fans saying, "These idiots can't write female characters - never have, never will." Apparently they did at some point, because you're a huge Weir fan, right?
            Don't want to shoot down your logic reasoning here but as a Weir-fan (and a Teyla-fan, and first and foremost a Kate-fan) I can honestly say it wasn't the writing that lured me in to liking the Weir character, but Torri's portrayal who took the writing and interpreted it (with a little help from the directors).
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Apparently they did at some point, because you're a huge Weir fan, right?
              If you're talking to me then no. I was a fan of the original Weir played by the original actor. Atlantis' Weir was insipid.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Don't want to shoot down your logic reasoning here but as a Weir-fan (and a Teyla-fan, and first and foremost a Kate-fan) I can honestly say it wasn't the writing that lured me in to liking the Weir character, but Torri's portrayal who took the writing and interpreted it (with a little help from the directors).
                .: Same here. After all, I believe the actors create at least half the character. If someone else tried to play the character even with the same writing, it would turn out differently based on thier interpretation/characterzation.

.: Stop bickering guys, or you might get sporked and/or noodled

Comment

What is this, grumpy night on the forum?

FOlks, you have personal issues with each other, you keep them personal and off this forum.

Have issues with Joe all you want but express those issues in a respectful way.

This thread is also about the 'all female team' that might/will happen in season five, it's not open season on anything else
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Hmm. I would contend that it's extremely rare that an actor or actress can rescue material that is truly as abysmal as people imply the TPTB's is. There has to be a starting point. However, it does seem reasonable to say one's enjoyment of Weir is owed more to Torri than to the writing.
                    Spoiler:
                    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by sarcasmo View Post
                      If you're talking to me then no. I was a fan of the original Weir played by the original actor. Atlantis' Weir was insipid.
                      No, I wasn't talking to you.
                      Spoiler:
                      Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Hmm. I would contend that it's extremely rare that an actor or actress can rescue material that is truly as abysmal as people imply the TPTB's is. There has to be a starting point. However, it does seem reasonable to say one's enjoyment of Weir is owed more to Torri than to the writing.
                        .: The starting point was S4 - in general. Certain characters were just stooped so much more low. I'm just saying in S4 the writing degraded considerably in my opinion (but in some case worse than others).

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

.: The starting point was S4 - in general. Certain characters were just stooped so much more low. I'm just saying in S4 the writing degraded considerably in my opinion (but in some case worse than others).
                          Yeah, you have a lot who agree with you.

What I meant with "starting point," was that even if it's Torri's performance that "makes" the Weir character for someone, the writing -- which people have assailed since Season 2 -- has to be good enough that Torri has a jumping-off point for her performance. It has to be good enough for her to be able to do her thing as an actress.

Anyway...

Regarding the female team, it will come down to the same things.

1. Is the writing good enough that the actresses have something to work with?
                          2. Do the actresses deliver in their performances?
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

that's what it'll come down to for me

will it just be an atlantis team that just HAPPENS to all be female....or will the 'amazon' cliche be so overplayed that it's a joke???

we'll find out in a few months
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

.: ITA. I'm hoping these girls will actually been given uniqueness in the writing yet flexible enough when they are passed over to the ctress. You don't want it to be too vague or too vivid.

Comment

I think Dusty might be playing an Indian role....atleast she can pass off as Indian quite easily...if so she might be the only representative of India on Atlantis...

Comment

Working...
                                X