This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McKaysLady View Post
    Yes, Sheppard says that he would do anything for the team, even Rodney, in one episode. But I think Sheppard thinks of Rodney like a "little brother." Irratating, always in the way, demanding, but NOBODY ELSE MESSES WITH.
    Maybe so but that doesnt mean you like your little brother. Im not friends will my little brother but i will defend him if someone either verbally or physically attacks him.

Also i really cant get over that scene in "McKay and Mrs. Miller" as they were cruel to Rodney. His little sister had no right to tell McKay's colleagues about McKay's childhood and it was insulting that Sheppard, Teyla and especially Ronon all laughed AT him and not WITH him.

Comment

I don't see McKay as the weakest link in any way. There is a great bond between all of them and I see them as a family. I believe that any of them would do anything for the other. I see all their friendships as being strong, and the team suffers when they are not all together, which was witnessed in some of the eps in Season 4. Their friendships are just different and none of them stronger than the other. John and Rodney probably get the most screentime together and we see a lot of their back and forth bantering but I don't think Rodney is any closer to John than he is to the other members of his team. The same could be said for John. He has displayed that he would put his life on the line for any one of them. John I feel is as close to Ronon and Teyla as he is to Rodney, but it's just a different kind of friendship.

Their chemistry is what keeps me watching SGA. They are like a well oiled wheel. They all play a part in saving the day and each other, but just do it in different ways. It's not all about blowing up things and firing a gun. I find the best eps are the team ones because they play so well off each other and I love all the interaction between them. I don't want to see one pairing or friendship constantly, and I think season 4 had a better balance of character interaction than season 3.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
        Maybe so but that doesnt mean you like your little brother. Im not friends will my little brother but i will defend him if someone either verbally or physically attacks him.

Also i really cant get over that scene in "McKay and Mrs. Miller" as they were cruel to Rodney. His little sister had no right to tell McKay's colleagues about McKay's childhood and it was insulting that Sheppard, Teyla and especially Ronon all laughed AT him and not WITH him.
        I agree completely. I despise "McKay and Mrs. Miller." As I've said on an occasion or two in other threads, I think it's 38 minutes of them being openly mocking and cruel to him, and 2 minutes of "ahh, we love ya, buddy!" It's an atrocious episode that I hope never to see again.

But I think it would be a mistake to define all of these relationships based on that one episode. Sometimes people ARE cruel to those they love, unfortunately.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
          Their friendships are just different and none of them stronger than the other.
          I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Rodney's friendship with Ronon is as strong as his friendship with John? Really? I see absolutely no evidence of that. If Ronon was so close with Rodney, he wouldn't have left Atlantis in "The Last Man" after John and Teyla were gone.
          Spoiler:
          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
            I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Rodney's friendship with Ronon is as strong as his friendship with John? Really? I see absolutely no evidence of that. If Ronon was so close with Rodney, he wouldn't have left Atlantis in "The Last Man" after John and Teyla were gone.
            Perhaps, but Ronon views Shep. as a brother in arms(and leader); it's not likely he would follow McKay in his research.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Charon View Post
              Perhaps, but Ronon views Shep. as a brother in arms(and leader); it's not likely he would follow McKay in his research.
              I donno. I think that's a stretch. The much more obvious, and evidence-supported explanation, is that McKay and Ronon are just aren't nearly as close as McKay and John are. In my opinion, it's quite a leap to suppose otherwise.
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I donno. I think that's a stretch. The much more obvious, and evidence-supported explanation, is that McKay and Ronon are just aren't nearly as close as McKay and John are. In my opinion, it's quite a leap to suppose otherwise.
                Oh, if we're using obvious-ness , Ronon protects him on the hive in season..... well ... 1 thru 4, and is starting to banter with him more instead of the usual grunts. Besides it's sci-fi and I shall take the leap.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with KindlyKeller. John and Rodney are always hanging out, playing games, going to grab something to eat. You rarely if ever see that with Ronon and Rodney, or with Teyla and Rodney. It's very hard for me to think they're as close as John and Rodney are.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                  Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                  sigpic

Comment

Well as I said I see it differently.
                    Spoiler:
                    And if McKay was so close to John why did he give up on him in The Last Man and only continued his work to try and bring him back after he lost Keller.
                    I don't see John doing anymore or less for Rodney than he would for the rest of his team and vice versa. I see them all having close friendship within the team and those friendships are different.. That doesn't mean that any of them would naturally stay together indefinitley. If they were not part of the same team I could easily see them going their separate ways at some stage in the future.
                    sigpic

Comment

Would John do more for Rodney than any other person on his team? No, definitely not. He'd do anything for any one of them, just as he told Teyla in Sateda.

Would Rodney do more for John than for any one else on his team? Again, no way.

Is Rodney closer to John than the other two members of his team? Well, in my mind, that's a completely separate question. And I would say yes. Definitely.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                      sigpic

Comment

I totally disagree.

I think its important for a spin off to differ from the original. SG-1 was, a few snarky comments aside, a big-ol' love-in and that was effective for their story and the result of the growth of their relationships on that show.

McKay wasn't brought to Atlantis to make friends and he, through his work and attitude, constantly reminds everyone of that. If he suddenly got along with everyone, he would pretty much lose that which we love about him most. Besides, there have been plenty of opportunities for him to express his true feelings for people, even if it ends up being awkward and difficult, but ultimately that is his character, and it has been from the beginning (see Redemption, Pt 2)

So yeah... weakest link? I don't think so.

Comment

I think Mckay is important to the team chemistry. Most of the arguments which make their conversations interesting include Mckay. Without him the show would be boring. I also think that he does love all the other people on the team he just dosen't really want to show it out front he hides behind his arrogance. Mckay is definately one of the strongest links not the weakest one.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think that Ronon and Teyla are not SCIENCY people! like Ronon said in FIRST STRIKE that he needs to learn more science stuff! so a lot of time they fell stupid!

Calling them "Conan and Xena" well not to their faces did not help!

in
                            Spoiler:
                            TABULA RASA Teyla is working with Rodney in his lab trying to figure the situation out! and she is SUPERISED when Rodney shows up in the brig with carter and Zelenka!

other than that......no!

Ronon: Vengence and Tao of Rodney

In the Return Sheppard says goodbye to Teyla and Ronon

Rodney just says "BYE" (maybe it hurt too much to say more for him?)

I sometimes see the team as JUST "John, Teyla, and Ronon" and oh yeah Rodney goes with them!

I bet that when it is time for lunch or dinner that none of his *team* goes and gets Rodney!

We see only the stuff in the show...not the day to day stufff! so the writers need to get with the program and give us some good meaty stuff with Teyla & Ronon and Rodney!

Rodney is not the weakest link!!

the writers are!!!!!!!!
                            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Dude, chill...

Comment

i like the chemistry as it is.

add an sg1 family feel and you might aswell name it sg1.

sg1 had a family feel as it was as close as you can get to family.
                                tealc: he gave up his life to join sg1. so sg1 was the closest he had to family.
                                daniel: no mom/dad.[when he was young] thus never knew real family, thus sg1 closest to family
                                jack: no wife. kid dead. idem.
                                carter: does she have family? anyway. sg1 member were friends. and she was in love with jack.

sga:
                                sheppard. young. dead father. he has a bro. competitive and playfull.
                                mkcay: sister. parents? science is his life.doesnt need friends very much. competitive and arrogant. and territorial
                                ronon: big caveman with highly advanced gun. need i say more?
                                teyla: has family.

everyone has family. john and mckay are too competitive. mckay is too arrogant. you cant have this uber family feel. they like eachother. they just dont say. furthermore i like the arrogance and competition. i love it. its SGA.

Comment

Working...
                                X