Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a nasty article. There was no need to post that 'rubbish' part. Seemingly just the author wanting to get a dirty stab in at something they don't like and trying to make out like their OPINION is the supreme one. Ruins the article and makes PC Pro look petty.

Comment

^Agree.

That 'rubbish' thing was over the top. If it was rubbish, why would people waste a weekly 350-or something MB on it, at all?

And the number of downloads should ring a bell, too. Those people can't be all wrong, right?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
        ^Agree.

That 'rubbish' thing was over the top. If it was rubbish, why would people waste a weekly 350-or something MB on it, at all?

And the number of downloads should ring a bell, too. Those people can't be all wrong, right?
        There must be alot of "garbage collectors" out there, that's for sure!

That was a nasty article, no call for that kind of insult at all.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
          What a nasty article. There was no need to post that 'rubbish' part. Seemingly just the author wanting to get a dirty stab in at something they don't like and trying to make out like their OPINION is the supreme one. Ruins the article and makes PC Pro look petty.
          This article was already posted over at the news section - with basically the exact opinion from a lot of fans, but the thread was closed and all posts deleted. But basically, it's one person's comment, and the article was more about the popularity of downloading than anything else.
          Last edited by prion; 26 December 2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
            SGA - PC Pro (UK): Most Illegally Downloaded Shows in 2008:

At PC Pro (London, UK):

(Please follow the link for the complete article. SGA season two photo at the site.)

Entertainment industry? Heads in sand? Still? Surely not.

December 24th, 2008 David Bayon

Want to know the most illegally downloaded TV show of 2008? It was Lost with 5.73-million downloads per episode, which across its four seasons makes for an astonishing number. Heroes and Prison Break complete a blockbuster top three, but it’s the show at number 6 on the pirate list that is most surprising.

Stargate Atlantis is rubbish. This is a fact. This one single photo should tell you just how rubbish it is, but if it doesn’t, well, let me tell you: It’s rubbish. Really.

But the real eye-opener is not that people like it, it’s that in 2008 more people downloaded each episode from torrent sites worldwide than watched it on TV in America. While the big shows mentioned above still roped in vastly more TV viewers than downloaders, Stargate Atlantis tipped over the edge.

Why this show? Well, by the look of the various fan sites and forums out there it’s globally popular, but that popularity isn’t necessarily respected by the publishers and networks. Complaints come from New Zealand, Europe, even as close to the US as Canada; there’s a long wait between the show airing in the US and making its way abroad, so it’s inevitable that these fans will look elsewhere for their fix.

The primary reason most TV downloaders do so is not to steal or to fight back at the big corporations, it’s simply that they want to watch a TV show right now and downloading it is usually the easiest way. And it’s an argument I’m increasingly coming round to.

**snippage**
            And I thought EW was harsh on Stargate. Maybe I would listen to the guy if he even remeotely tried to defend his positiion but he didn't . And answer this for me. How does this
            Spoiler:

prove his point? IMO all it does was show what an ass he is.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The author of the article decided to post a comment, guess he saw the replies to him using "rubbish" to describe SGA :

David Bayon Says:

December 26th, 2008 at 6:46 pm
              Whew! Merry Christmas to everyone, I’m here wearing body armour just in case it all goes sour.

Thanks for the comments from the SGA forum members. The use of the word ‘fact’ was indeed a little foolish, but it was intended to be purely light-hearted and i didn’t give it a second thought until i logged on here just now. Of course I know it’s merely my opinion, and i’m pretty sure no one reading it will go away believing that it is indeed a fact.

It is a shame that little paragraph has detracted from the points Steve and a few others have tried to discuss since. I’m genuinely interested in the reasons for people’s use of torrent sites, as i don’t believe we’re all just doing it so we don’t have to pay.

You’re all obviously huge fans of a show that you nevertheless download - even if, as some of you say, there is no delay in your country. Do you really believe that by buying the dvd when it comes out you’re negating the effect of downloading it rather than watching it on tv? If ratings die, so does the show, surely?
              It was good to see fans post their objections to his "fact" that SGA was "rubbish". It was indeed good to see

sig by Varda

Comment

SGA - MGM Stargate: Vegas (preview):

At MGM Stargate:

Episode 19 - Vegas (preview)

Original air date: January 2, 2009

Detective John Sheppard attempts to solve a string of unusual murders in Las Vegas.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Zap2It: What To Watch Fri Jan 2 '09:

At Zap2It:

WHAT TO WATCH

Friday, January 2, 2009

Stargate Atlantis (Sci Fi)

9:00 PM/8c

John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) attempts to solve a string of unusual murders in Las Vegas.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - MGM Stargate: NEW Tech Journal: Aurora Class Battleship:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=537

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - UGO: Video: Robert Picardo on Stargate Atlantis:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=887

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Stargate Atlantis / Sanctuary - The Province: Who filmed what here in 2008?:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....03&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA/Sanctuary - SciFi Channel Newsletter week Dec 28 '08:

From the SciFi Channel e-mail newsletter for the week of December 28, 2008:

NEW THIS WEEK

Atlantis - 'Vegas'

Friday at 9/8C

Detective John Sheppard attempts to solve a string of unusual murders in the city that never sleeps.

Sanctuary - 'Revelations, Part One'

Friday at 10/9C

When abnormals are subjected to an airborne biological agent, they launch a violent string of murders.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

NY DAILY VUE
                            Dec 28 2008

This was featured on the inside front cover of the magazine (can only be
                            picked up on newsstands)

FRIDAY - Jan 2, 2008
                            Stargate Atlantis. Detective John Sheppard's investigation into a string of
                            bizarre murders in Las Vegas leads to a strange man with superhuman strength. He's further mystified by a meeting with visitors from the PEgasus Galaxy who tell him the killer is a Wraith - an alien who feeds on human energy.

Had a nice picture of Shep with gun too.

Comment

SGA - GateWorld: Picardo: Atlantis finale is 'well-crafted':

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2302

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - TampaBay.com: On TV this week, Dec. 29-Jan. 2 :

At TampaBay.com:

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

On TV this week, Dec. 29-Jan. 2

**snippage**

FRIDAY

Stargate Atlantis, 9 p.m., Sci-Fi This series is soooo almost over, that this next-to-last episode is set in an alternate reality. Are all the stories really gone, guys?

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X